Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

Rubik

57 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Really feel like he will be the feel good story of this season

some guys need to play with skilled players to show their value. I think Podz is the perfect example, he is fast, good in corners, and if he has JT behind him to give the puck to, and Brock doing Brock things in open ice, Podz will do great. To break open a strong nut you need a strong nutcracker. Podz will never come out of shell on the 3rd or 4th line.

2 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Really feel like he will be the feel good story of this season

3 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

I really hope we give him opportunities up the lineup to get him going.  As discussed before, I do see him as a possible late bloomer, though he did start his first season with 26 points in 74 games already so for folks saying he's behind Joshua I must beg to differ (Joshua only broke out in his 26 year old season, whereas he had 9 points in 42 games in his first two seasons where he was in the league, so he wasn't some ready-made power forward).  

All of this.  He'll be given an opportunity for sure.  Management knows what they have.  He's got the work ethic, talent, size, motor and character.  This is his year. 

8 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

If he's the 13th forward then waiting for the trade deadline will have zero effect on his trade value. He wont return much in that situation whether it's January or March 

Definitely worth the risk... And I bet management thinks so too.  However, don't think it will get to that point.  He'll make a spot for himself this year.  

4 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Definitely worth the risk... And I bet management thinks so too.  However, don't think it will get to that point.  He'll make a spot for himself this year.  

I don't know.  You look at all the offseason free agent signings they made and you have to wonder if they've already written him off as any sort of an impact player.  Time will tell but he's certainly running short on runway to prove himself 

5 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Perhaps in March we get a 11.4million player in LTIR due to tendinitis. If we can keep Podz low key for the main part of year and let him bloom in the playoff run. Just dont think he would clear waivers.

38 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

You look at all the offseason free agent signings they made and you have to wonder if they've already written him off as any sort of an impact player.

They're not handing it to him... He'll have to earn it.  Our team is trending up quickly.  Podz will have to really show he has the right mix of skill sets to prove he belongs.  If I'm being completely honest, if Podz earns a spot.  I'll be concerned for Hogs as he's got trade value but simply doesn't have coach's full trust and never found a line that really worked for him.  I hope they both show great and we keep both... Especially with their current aav will really benefit us closer to deadline.  But that's a big ask. 

9 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

They're not handing it to him... He'll have to earn it.  Our team is trending up quickly.  Podz will have to really show he has the right mix of skill sets to prove he belongs.  If I'm being completely honest, if Podz earns a spot.  I'll be concerned for Hogs as he's got trade value but simply doesn't have coach's full trust and never found a line that really worked for him.  I hope they both show great and we keep both... Especially with their current aav will really benefit us closer to deadline.  But that's a big ask. 

Canuck fans have a heavy buy-in on Podz. We have watched him since the draft with anticipation that he will ascend to a top 6 role. That does not appear likely now. That does not change the need for a heavier physical presence in the line-up. If Podz is to have a future with the Canucks it will likely have to start on the 4th line. He has a physical capability and a tenacity which RT likes. 

Hogs had a decent amount of TOI as a top 6 player last year. At 24 even strength goals he has demonstrated a offensive upside that should not be sniffed at. 24 goals on a faltering 2nd line where Mik could not convert. Hog's numbers would have been much higher if he and EP40 had produced better. Many nights Hogs was carrying the line. He is a play driver. I will be very interested in seeing a DeBrusk-Petey-Hogs line this fall. Hogs could really blossom. The issue with Hogs on a Cup contender will always be his size. He has done well along the boards and a stronger offense might take some pressure off. If PA has to move Hogs to make a deal the ask should be substantial.  

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Canuck fans have a heavy buy-in on Podz. We have watched him since the draft with anticipation that he will ascend to a top 6 role. That does not appear likely now. That does not change the need for a heavier physical presence in the line-up. If Podz is to have a future with the Canucks it will likely have to start on the 4th line. He has a physical capability and a tenacity which RT likes. 

Hogs had a decent amount of TOI as a top 6 player last year. At 24 even strength goals he has demonstrated a offensive upside that should not be sniffed at. 24 goals on a faltering 2nd line where Mik could not convert. Hog's numbers would have been much higher if he and EP40 had produced better. Many nights Hogs was carrying the line. He is a play driver. I will be very interested in seeing a DeBrusk-Petey-Hogs line this fall. Hogs could really blossom. The issue with Hogs on a Cup contender will always be his size. He has done well along the boards and a stronger offense might take some pressure off. If PA has to move Hogs to make a deal the ask should be substantial.  

I agree with all you presented about Hogs.  Tocc has a solid idea of who Hogs is and what he still can be.  He has less overall Intel on what Podz will be and hence the current situation. 

However and to your point, you can't teach size and strength.  Podz can still turn out to be the most effective bottom 3-6 guy in the league.  I'm sure we'd all be over the moon if that becomes the case. 

If Hogs can find a permanent home in top 6 and Podz the bottom 6 we will be golden.  Both players still have a ways to go to solitify their spot, but quite possible/realistic imho. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

I agree with all you presented about Hogs.  Tocc has a solid idea of who Hogs is and what he still can be.  He has less overall Intel on what Podz will be and hence the current situation. 

However and to your point, you can't teach size and strength.  Podz can still turn out to be the most effective bottom 3-6 guy in the league.  I'm sure we'd all be over the moon if that becomes the case. 

If Hogs can find a permanent home in top 6 and Podz the bottom 6 we will be golden.  Both players still have a ways to go to solitify their spot, but quite possible/realistic imho. 

What we know is both Podz and Hogs still have upside to their game. Sometimes it simply comes down to line mates and identity. As you said Tocchet now knows these 2 players well. I have confidence in coaching assessments.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Ironically, where they were drafted that same year, we were hoping for the opposite.

I do think they will have very good years playing their roles (hopefully neither gets hurt to set them back to see them achieve that)

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Whats a little good about Podz not breaking out, we may be able to get another cheap AAV contract over maybe longer term when we have to re-sign him.

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, EastCoastExpress said:

Whats a little good about Podz not breaking out, we may be able to get another cheap AAV contract over maybe longer term when we have to re-sign him.

Yes... Should he breakout this season, re-signing should be very cost-effective longterm.  In that case, his long development curve will benefit the team... and turn out to be a blessing in disguise.  

Lol just parroting what you already laid out.  Cheers! 

Edited by Hogs and Podz
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EastCoastExpress said:

Conundrum is if he breaks out, will he want a shorter contract to prove he can do it consistently to get a longer bigger contract, and which way would the management go ?

Just now, Ballisticsports said:

Conundrum is if he breaks out, will he want a shorter contract to prove he can do it consistently to get a longer bigger contract, and which way would the management go ?

I think Management knows Podz is a slow boil.... they will do a longer term but reasonable amount like they did with Boeser. When Podz gets the groove and balance of digging and speed and scoring its all going to fall into place. He is still young, in 5 years we can afford the big money on him. So maybe an extension offer next year similar to Joshua if he does break out this year, so we dont have to do a 5mil plus offer the following year after he continues to grow?

• Cheers 1

Ranking the Wingers?

1. Boeser

2. DeBrusk

3. Hoglander

4. Sprong

5. Joshua

6. Garland

7. Suter* (unless he plays C)

8. Heinen

9. Sherwood

10. Podkolzin

Another season in Abby or he's traded, IMO.

Podz will have to have the training camp of his life to crack this great lineup. My concern is he plays nervous, hesitant and a bit scared. Not ideal for a big forward trying to get his break.

• Vintage 1

21 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

Ranking the Wingers?

1. Boeser

2. DeBrusk

3. Hoglander

4. Sprong

5. Joshua

6. Garland

7. Suter* (unless he plays C)

8. Heinen

9. Sherwood

10. Podkolzin

Another season in Abby or he's traded, IMO.

Podz will have to have the training camp of his life to crack this great lineup. My concern is he plays nervous, hesitant and a bit scared. Not ideal for a big forward trying to get his break.

He requires waivers this year. So sending him to Abbotsford runs the risk of losing him to a waiver claim 

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler

Podkolzin exits the organization 201st in all-time scoring.  Not a ton of great comparables at that spot except for maybe Gassoff (I'm too long to remember him).

199   Brad Gassoff LW 122 19 17 36
200 Alex Biega D 179 4 32 36
201   Vasily Podkolzin RW 137 18 17 35
202   Cody Hodgson C 71 17 18 35

Spoiler

PXL_20240827_042056249.thumb.jpg.5b878d7658b56f532aa0269df47c44e6.jpg

He played 139 regular season and playoff games in a Canuck jersey.  Above are some others around that same number.

Edited by Wilbur