Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

Rubik

10 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Podkolzin had a strong preseason game starring on the first line for Edmonton vs Winnipeg. 2 assists on the night and set up the game winner.

He looked like a renewed man out there.

It was only 1 assist, but it is an assist on the OT winner.

Both teams also iced a more AHL/Junior heavy line up, so I am curious to see how he does in week 2 of pre-season when teams are cutting down to the their opening line-up roster.

I do wish him the best, he is a good kid.

The only thing I dislike about this trade would be that we traded him to the Oilers. My guess is every other team who were in on him were probably offering a 5th round pick at best, so when the Oilers offered a 4th round pick, Allvin just took it.

Just now, Integra250 said:

Remember when Connor Brown put up something ike 5 points in one pre-season game last year? 

I remember that one year where Ty Rattie had like a hatrick plus a few multiple goal games in pre-season playing on a line with McDavid. He ended the season with 4 goals, 7 Assists and 11 points in 50 games played.

I remember Oilers fans were drooling that he is going to score 25-30 goals playing on a line with McDavid.

Pre-season stats are meaningless. It's more important to look at how each team/players prepare for each game and look at how the coach prepares the team to play in different situations (special teams, 6 on 5 etc.). The only time I am concerned about pre-season is when my team struggle to score goals or produce offense. Due to the lack of checking/hits in pre-season, there are usually much more time/space for players to make plays. If a team really struggle to find offense in the pre-season, that's a bit of a red flag because if you can't produce offense when there is very little checking, then how are you going to score when the games gets ramped up. 

3 hours ago, RJCF96 said:

I remember that one year where Ty Rattie had like a hatrick plus a few multiple goal games in pre-season playing on a line with McDavid. He ended the season with 4 goals, 7 Assists and 11 points in 50 games played.

I remember Oilers fans were drooling that he is going to score 25-30 goals playing on a line with McDavid.

Pre-season stats are meaningless. It's more important to look at how each team/players prepare for each game and look at how the coach prepares the team to play in different situations (special teams, 6 on 5 etc.). The only time I am concerned about pre-season is when my team struggle to score goals or produce offense. Due to the lack of checking/hits in pre-season, there are usually much more time/space for players to make plays. If a team really struggle to find offense in the pre-season, that's a bit of a red flag because if you can't produce offense when there is very little checking, then how are you going to score when the games gets ramped up. 

I remember that one year when Fedor Fedorov told a media type he was already better than Sergei after he lit up pre-season.

I still want them to bring him back on a PTO for one more try.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

yup... I know it's just preseason but, first big mistake by management.  

Back in Aug, this deal really burned my bacon.

Now w/time & reflection, sorta see it as Desharnais & a pick(4th) for Podz. Would call this fair/appropriate transaction between 2 rising rivals.

Should both players perform solid in their new rosters, that'd be quite acceptable.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, SuchaNuxtalgia said:

Back in Aug, this deal really burned my bacon.

Now w/time & reflection, sorta see it as Desharnais & a pick(4th) for Podz. Would call this fair/appropriate transaction between 2 rising rivals.

Should both players perform solid in their new rosters, that'd be quite acceptable.

u'r response is way to rational and measured... Until I'm proven wrong... and we'll know soon nuf', I still believe he'll put it all together. 

• chaos 1

7 hours ago, Jess said:

I won't be too salty if he's a 20-goal scorer or whatever. He wouldn't have had the opportunity in Vancouver.

I call bullshit... I knew I'd hear the excuses... or you could say 'he wasn't going to do that here anyways...' You don't know shit about that.  Look, he didn't show well enough or he'd still be on the team, period. Management made a decision... they know so much more  then I.... but the phat lady hasn't yet sung. go Podz go! 

14 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

I call bullshit... I knew I'd hear the excuses... or you could say 'he wasn't going to do that here anyways...' You don't know shit about that.  Look, he didn't show well enough or he'd still be on the team, period. Management made a decision... they know so much more  then I.... but the phat lady hasn't yet sung. go Podz go! 

image.png.bc6cdb024655c4d7290355767f28faef.png

Evidently I didn't post anything here about it, but here's a message I sent to my brother on the day of the trade, since you seem to assume I'm talking out of my ass.

Who was he going to beat out? I always thought he had a chance to improve and impress, but I had a bad feeling about his development the way it had been going and we had way to much depth at forward for him to beat out. He was destined for another AHL season, or worse, losing him for nothing on waivers unless he suddenly improved out of nowhere, but from what we'd seen in Vancouver and Abbotsford, the improvements weren't there.

If he shows up a 20-goal scorer this year in Edmonton, that's because he's showing something that wasn't there before. Good on him, but you can't judge Allvin for making a move based on what wasn't apparent until after the move.

6 minutes ago, Jess said:

If he shows up a 20-goal scorer this year in Edmonton, that's because he's showing something that wasn't there before. Good on him, but you can't judge Allvin for making a move based on what wasn't apparent until after the move.

It was always there... his tools are undeniable but not realized in Vancouver.  They traded him for a fourth... 

The rest of what you blathered... Just hindsight talking. 

appreciate the banter though. 

Reminds of that Kravty-guy we nabbed from the Rags. High hopes, once upon a time. Grab ten of these sort, & ONE will finally answer wishes.

Go to ten Value Villages, & you'll finally find a cheap shirt that can be worn in style. Who's got time for that shyte?! We gotta Cup to chase!

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I hope Podz does well somewhere. I hope he gets picked off waivers and ends up somewhere not named Edmonton and finds his game. 

I love the guy tbh. I hope he plays like shit against us but great everywhere else. We'll never hear the end of it though, so that part would suck.

• Like 1

Looking back, I think that terrible hit and concussion he took last year in Abby sealed his fate in this organization.  By most accounts he was playing well before that happened and not so much afterward.  With Bains, Raty, Sasson and Lekkerimaki all contending for promotion and all the free agent forward signings he was going to be exposed to waivers and the rest is history.  Too bad, I thought he was a good pick and had a good rookie season.  Hope he picks up the pieces and makes a career out of it somewhere. 

• Cheers 3

17 hours ago, SuchaNuxtalgia said:

Reminds of that Kravty-guy we nabbed from the Rags. High hopes, once upon a time. Grab ten of these sort, & ONE will finally answer wishes.

Go to ten Value Villages, & you'll finally find a cheap shirt that can be worn in style. Who's got time for that shyte?! We gotta Cup to chase!

Apart from being Russian, there's little to compare in these two players.  Unlike Kravstov,

Podz is a hard-working player who desperately wants to make the NHL. Another big thing

that sets him apart from Kravstov, is that Podz is not self-entilted and will do the grunt work he is

asked to do. 

• Upvote 1