Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

Rubik

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Garland and Beau have 2 goals each in 18 games. And 5 and 6 points total in 18 games.

They are both looking like 10 goals each at the current pace for the season.

It would be great if both started to get better production. They sure aren't performing like $4+ million a year players.

Garland has been solid for us in other ways, on Beauvillier, I've said it before in other threads, he's a good player, but he is not the type of player we need on the 4th line. He needs to be moved for someone who can help round out our bottom 6 guys. Need someone with more sandpaper on the 4th line.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Garland and Beau have 2 goals each in 18 games. And 5 and 6 points total in 18 games.

It would be great if both started to get better production. They sure aren't performing like $4+ million a year players.

Agreed on Beauvillier...  

Garland has been driving the 3rd like to great possession and chances, but he hasn't buried enough results. 

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

True. But at least Garland's been a puck hound on the 3rd line. 

Hopefully Suter gets back soon. Is he day-to-day? 

And yeah, it's good to see Podkolzin back. He's was playing well before that BS injury. 

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Defensively they have been sound. Prior to Saturdays game they have only been on the ice for a combined total of 3 goals against

• Cheers 1

I think Podkolzin is in Vancouver by March. He was looking close before the injury. If he can get back in a rhythm, he'll be here before long.

Power forwards often take a little longer to really develop their full game. Bertuzzi really didn't start to perform until he was 24 - 25 age.

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Cheers 1

On 11/19/2023 at 11:19 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Garlands line Dakota Suter Garland is crushing with the highest goals per 60 and lowest goals against per 60. Garland is a big reason for that. Our top 2 lines are feasting but people will complain about anything without understanding why. 

Rank Line Type Minutes Games xGoals % xGoals For xGoals Against xGoals For
Per 60 Minutes
xGoals Against
Per 60 Minutes
http://peter-tanner.com/moneypuck/logos/VAN.png Joshua-Suter-Garland
F 73.2 11 68.8% 4.4 2 3.61 1.64
http://peter-tanner.com/moneypuck/logos/VAN.png Beauvillier-Lafferty-Hoglander
F 70.4 12 63.9% 3.9 2.2 3.32 1.88
http://peter-tanner.com/moneypuck/logos/VAN.png Kuzmenko-Pettersson-Mikheyev
F 108.8 13 50.9% 5.8 5.6 3.2 3.09
http://peter-tanner.com/moneypuck/logos/VAN.png Beauvillier-Suter-Joshua
F 32.3 10 43.7% 1.4 1.8 2.6 3.34
http://peter-tanner.com/moneypuck/logos/VAN.png Di Giuseppe-Miller-Boeser
F 179.2 18 42.8% 6.5 8.7 2.18 2.91
Edited by Hammertime
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

This reminds me of the days when people kept making excuses for Kassian. 

Mufu retired and people still be saying power forwards take longer to develop. 

Kassian had the talent, but he also had a bag o' personal issues as well.  He did a pretty good job

pulling things together, but he was never able to reach the 11oa projections.

660 games in the NHL and + $22m net worth ain't all that bad.

On the other hand, Pods works his butt off, had a great rookie season and is always being promoted

by individual players and coaches.  Also...he is an extremely likeable guy.  How can you not cheer

for him?😎

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Kassian had the talent, but he also had a bag o' personal issues as well.  He did a pretty good job

pulling things together, but he was never able to reach the 11oa projections.

660 games in the NHL and + $22m net worth ain't all that bad.

On the other hand, Pods works his butt off, had a great rookie season and is always being promoted

by individual players and coaches.  Also...he is an extremely likeable guy.  How can you not cheer

for him?😎

Podz is fine. He's only 22. He has scored 14 goals in the NHL. 

His stint in the AHL is making him a better player. 

At some point, we should see him this year in the NHL. 

Some people are always just looking to stir the pot. 

What about them Soilers, huh? 😂

• Cheers 1

On 11/21/2023 at 6:40 PM, LaBamba said:

This reminds me of the days when people kept making excuses for Kassian. 

Mufu retired and people still be saying power forwards take longer to develop. 

Couldn't be more wrong... No excuses needed.  He isn't good enough yet. 

It's not determined if he lacks hockey IQ... That will be the deciding factor between him being an effective defensive minded, hard to play against bottom 6 NHL player or a bonified top 3 power forward in the NHL for years to come. 

It will be one of those two paths for him.  The only thing that can derail him is a debilitating injury. 

The kid up to this point, has bitten more than he can chew...

With becoming such a young husband and father in a new country, speaking a new language, and wife speaking new language... New system, rink size adjustments... Super high expectations on himself... He hasn't adjusted to it all perfectly. 

Regardless... He was coming through it and just getting traction then, bang!  Out with a scary concussion.  

If you ask me... I've said it many times and I'll say it again, he will overcome all of these hurdles he's put in his way.  He's showing that he's sorting things out. 

I believe he has on the lower side but still NHL level IQ.  However, his heart, his will to win, his care for his teammates (do anything for them), physical gifts and leadership qualities are elite already and will only get better with confidence, situational reps and trust from his coaches.   

He will be a beast... Hopefully in the not to distant future with the NHL canucks.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Couldn't be more wrong... No excuses needed.  He isn't good enough yet. 

It's not determined if he lacks hockey IQ... That will be the deciding factor between him being an effective defensive minded, hard to play against bottom 6 NHL player or a bonified top 3 power forward in the NHL for years to come. 

It will be one of those two paths for him.  The only thing that can derail him is a debilitating injury. 

The kid up to this point, has bitten more than he can chew...

With becoming such a young husband and father in a new country, speaking a new language, and wife speaking new language... New system, rink size adjustments... Super high expectations on himself... He hasn't adjusted to it all perfectly. 

Regardless... He was coming through it and just getting traction then, bang!  Out with a scary concussion.  

If you ask me... I've said it many times and I'll say it again, he will overcome all of these hurdles he's put in his way.  He's showing that he's sorting things out. 

I believe he has on the lower side but still NHL level IQ.  However, his heart, his will to win, his care for his teammates (do anything for them), physical gifts and leadership qualities are elite already and will only get better with confidence, situational reps and trust from his coaches.   

He will be a beast... Hopefully in the not to distant future with the NHL canucks.

Ironically, you just proved my point haha. 
He is done. He has never been a goal scorer at any level and never will be. His ceiling at this point is making the NHL. 

30 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Ironically, you just proved my point haha. 
He is done. He has never been a goal scorer at any level and never will be. His ceiling at this point is making the NHL. 

I guess this proves that we can interpret whatever we want to see, we see.  

I expect you'll be eating crow this time next season.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

That guy eats a lot of crow, period. 

He's already claimed McBaby to be the greatest player EVER! 

Talk about fucking delusional. 😆

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Your bias plays into your evaluation. He was a high 1st round pick. We all have pre-determined expectations of those players. We tend to hang onto their potential and overlook their actual performance. There is absolutely no evidence of him being able to break out and become a good NHL player. Anyone who thinks otherwise is focused on circumstances and fantasy. 

44 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Your bias plays into your evaluation. He was a high 1st round pick. We all have pre-determined expectations of those players. We tend to hang onto their potential and overlook their actual performance. There is absolutely no evidence of him being able to break out and become a good NHL player. Anyone who thinks otherwise is focused on circumstances and fantasy. 

He had 14 NHL goals as a 19 year old. If you can't see that since then he's been developing and was building that scoring touch in the AHL this year with goals in 4 straight games before a scary concussion... you're out to lunch.

• Cheers 2

56 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Your bias plays into your evaluation... Truth is, there isn't enough data to prove boom or bust.  I just think you're impatient.  You expect a linear progression, and if not, they're trash.  Just glad you have no say either way.  Looking forward to rehashing this differing of opinion in the not to distant future.