Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

Rubik

18 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

plays from last few games:

Podz hasn't been piling the points since his return. but good sign is his game has looked more and more like above since his return.

He is playing with authority. His confidence is getting high again. Only a matter of time before he lights it up.

That play, leading up to the assist and the goal is what a smart player does. 

3 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Watched him today, I feel like he’s on the precipice of being an NHL calibre player. Spending the rest of this season fine tuning his game in Abby and a solid summer should give him a great shot at the Canucks for 24-25.

100% he will be on the Canucks next season.  Either that or he’ll be traded.  Reason why is Podkolzin will need to clear waivers next season.  He won’t clear.  So he is either on the Canucks or he is traded.

My bet is he is on the Canucks and takes PDG’s spot.  He will be like Höglander and start in the bottom 6 and work his way up.  I don’t mind if he is even on the 4th line next year.  He’s big enough that he can crash and bang on the 4th line while developing his game.  Podkolzin/Blueger/Lafferty could be a really good 4th line next season…

• Cheers 4

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

100% he will be on the Canucks next season.  Either that or he’ll be traded.  Reason why is Podkolzin will need to clear waivers next season.  He won’t clear.  So he is either on the Canucks or he is traded.

My bet is he is on the Canucks and takes PDG’s spot.  He will be like Höglander and start in the bottom 6 and work his way up.  I don’t mind if he is even on the 4th line next year.  He’s big enough that he can crash and bang on the 4th line while developing his game.  Podkolzin/Blueger/Lafferty could be a really good 4th line next season…

We might have to do a double take on both the Canuck and Abby rosters next year based on post season play. Both teams will make playoffs. If the Canucks do well there are a number of UFA's who will look for paydays and PA doesn't have enough CAP. Abby does well and there will be 3-4 players looking for NHL play.

Fun to be a Canuck fan these days. To date I have always considered the '94 team the best ever iced but I am now looking hard at this '23 team as one with better depth thru the org. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

We might have to do a double take on both the Canuck and Abby rosters next year based on post season play. Both teams will make playoffs. If the Canucks do well there are a number of UFA's who will look for paydays and PA doesn't have enough CAP. Abby does well and there will be 3-4 players looking for NHL play.

Fun to be a Canuck fan these days. To date I have always considered the '94 team the best ever iced but I am now looking hard at this '23 team as one with better depth thru the org. 

Everyone else of significance in Abby is waiver eligible next year so they are safe. However, if we are tight on the cap then I can see Raty and Bains up with the big club next season. Maybe McWard as well. 

Ideally, I’d like to keep these guys cooking in the AHL for one more year. But it all depends on whether we can sign, Joshua, Blueger, Lafferty, Zadorov and maybe Myers in the summer and get them all under the cap after we extend Petey and Hronek. It’s gonna be tight. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 12/22/2023 at 3:17 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

I hope Blueger's back, but that's assuming both Blue and Laff are back on the Canucks. 

On 12/22/2023 at 10:14 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Everyone else of significance in Abby is waiver eligible next year so they are safe. However, if we are tight on the cap then I can see Raty and Bains up with the big club next season. Maybe McWard as well. 

Ideally, I’d like to keep these guys cooking in the AHL for one more year. But it all depends on whether we can sign, Joshua, Blueger, Lafferty, Zadorov and maybe Myers in the summer and get them all under the cap after we extend Petey and Hronek. It’s gonna be tight. 

I think we can get Joshua, Blueger, Lafferty and Zadorov signed. Myers is not a casualty if he doesn't come back, but then we're missing a RHD to replace him. 

On 12/22/2023 at 3:17 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

He could spend another year in the AHL. 

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No he can’t.  He has to clear waivers next season.  He’s in the same position next season as Höglander was this season.  They are certainly not going to put Podkolzin on waivers.  He will take PDG’s spot in the lineup on the 4th line to start.  Who knows, if they can’t sign Joshua then Podkolzin might be on the 3rd line from opening night…

This is why I think he plays his season in Abby. Come playoffs he will get AHL games and then to the Canucks as a black ace. He needs TOI and reps. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

This is why I think he plays his season in Abby. Come playoffs he will get AHL games and then to the Canucks as a black ace. He needs TOI and reps. 

I'm onboard for that, Bouds.  The Canucks really need Podz (and other prospects) to make the

final (and permanent) jump to the NHL.  We've been on the verge of seeing several young players

starting to look ready for the NHL.  I think we will finally see some new faces on the team during

the next 3 seasons.  A great time to be a Canuck fan.

• Cheers 2

37 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I'm onboard for that, Bouds.  The Canucks really need Podz (and other prospects) to make the

final (and permanent) jump to the NHL.  We've been on the verge of seeing several young players

starting to look ready for the NHL.  I think we will finally see some new faces on the team during

the next 3 seasons.  A great time to be a Canuck fan.

Yes, what I think we're about to witness starting end of this season and building into next is seeing support pieces if you will... Graduating to the big team... Not just first line players aka first rounders.  So players like Woo, Silov, Baines, Raty, Hirose, McDonough, Wolanin, Klimovich....

We haven't had this string of a pipeline since the Manitoba moose days.

2 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Yes, what I think we're about to witness starting end of this season and building into next is seeing support pieces if you will... Graduating to the big team... Not just first line players aka first rounders.  So players like Woo, Silov, Baines, Raty, Hirose, McDonough, Wolanin, Klimovich....

We haven't had this string of a pipeline since the Manitoba moose days.

Don't get me wrong as I like the potential of all the players you mentioned but only see Woo and Raty and possibly Hirose with a better than 50/50 chance of making the team next year. Outside chance for Baines as well but want to see a consistent effort from him for the rest of the year.

Silovs is not quite ready yet IMO, Wolanin is a very good AHL'er but just not NHL material. McDonough and Klimovich have a long way to go before they are ready for the NHL.

Edited by Kootenay Gold
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Don't get me wrong as I like the potential of all the players you mentioned but only see Woo and Raty and possibly Hirose with a better than 50/50 chance of making the team next year. Outside chance for Baines as well but want to see a consistent effort from him for the rest of the year.

Silovs is not quite ready yet IMO, Wolanin is a very good NHL'er but just not NHL material. McDonough and Klimovich have a long way to go before they are ready for the NHL.

You aren't mentioning Pods? 

22 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Silovs is not quite ready yet IMO, Wolanin is a very good NHL'er but just not NHL material. McDonough and Klimovich have a long way to go before they are ready for the NHL.

Totally agree.... But at least there is hope and looks like an improving farm system as a whole.... 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I think we can get Joshua, Blueger, Lafferty and Zadorov signed. Myers is not a casualty if he doesn't come back, but then we're missing a RHD to replace him. 

General word is that Woo is nearly ready for prime time, is high on injury reserve call up list for RD

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

General word is that Woo is nearly ready for prime time, is high on injury reserve call up list for RD

I'd be really happy to see Woo get a shot sometime this season. He's really worked hard to become a consistent, reliable, hard-nosed defender. I know there are those here who wrote him off long ago, but he's found his game and is playing well. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

I'd be curious to see Woo with the big club. if he can contribute in a top four role, man, that would be huge for the club. 

50 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I'd be really happy to see Woo get a shot sometime this season. He's really worked hard to become a consistent, reliable, hard-nosed defender. I know there are those here who wrote him off long ago, but he's found his game and is playing well. 

Man that's really encouraging to hear that Woo's found his game. I'm really excited about him getting some games with the Canucks!