Free The Skate Letter to Bobby Lou

RomanPer

28 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Edit: The one grotesque part of the current blacks, of course are that fucking ugly TD thing.   It's disgraceful.   Covid is over, players got their money. 

Yup. Couldn't they find a company with a logo that at least is closer to the skate jersey colours?  And its probably just the tip of the iceberg. They should never have started that at all.  Fans are so docile. Media personalities have shows and podcasts that are sponsored by the same companies.  So they will never criticize it. 

Same went for the damn animated rink board ads.  IMO a huge disrespect for the game by Bettman to allow that.  Static ads, fading into each other, I'd accept as a compromise. But going straight to large moving animation while the game play is on? Ridiculous.

But fans, and people in general these days, just go along with every new infringement in our viewing pleasure.  The media personalities who rely on these corporations for their paychecks, brainwash the fans with the old "its inevitable" argument.  And so you also hear it mirrored here. "It's inevitable".  Well the blue puck wasn't "inevitable'.  Enough fans complained and it was dropped.

Every garish ad on the jersey, or helmet, or dancing around the boards, is another devaluation of the experience of watching hockey.  We absorb it without complaining, like frogs in a slowly heated pot.  I can see the day when we look up in the bubbling cauldron and notice that the NHL unis look just like the Euros do today, and we won't even know which team is which out on the ice.  Or we will only know them by their corporate brand names which will be where the Canucks logo is now, like MLS does. (The Vancouver Bell?) The actual team logo will be reduced to a small shoulder patch. 

I guess at least that will stop the jersey debates on what is the best logo....if you can't even see it anymore.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

Yup. Couldn't they find a company with a logo that at least is closer to the skate jersey colours?  And its probably just the tip of the iceberg. They should never have started that at all.  Fans are so docile. Media personalities have shows and podcasts that are sponsored by the same companies.  So they will never criticize it. 

Same went for the damn animated rink board ads.  IMO a huge disrespect for the game by Bettman to allow that.  Static ads, fading into each other, I'd accept as a compromise. But going straight to large moving animation while the game play is on? Ridiculous.

But fans, and people in general these days, just go along with every new infringement in our viewing pleasure.  The media personalities who rely on these corporations for their paychecks, brainwash the fans with the old "its inevitable" argument.  And so you also hear it mirrored here. "It's inevitable".  Well the blue puck wasn't "inevitable'.  Enough fans complained and it was dropped.

Every garish ad on the jersey, or helmet, or dancing around the boards, is another devaluation of the experience of watching hockey.  We absorb it without complaining, like frogs in a slowly heated pot.  I can see the day when we look up in the bubbling cauldron and notice that the NHL unis look just like the Euros do today, and we won't even know which team is which out on the ice.  Or we will only know them by their corporate brand names which will be where the Canucks logo is now, like MLS does. (The Vancouver Bell?) The actual team logo will be reduced to a small shoulder patch. 

I guess at least that will stop the jersey debates on what is the best logo....if you can't even see it anymore.

I've stuck up for Bettman now and again.  He completely crossed a line by saying "over my dead body" pre-covid, when Adidas won their contract and had their tiny logo on it, saying they'd never sell advertising on the jerseys.   Just like GST, these things don't get rolled back.  Only forward.     Guess I'm in a bad mood for swearing, and no I'm not pining for the "good old days" when it was a clean sheet of ice, and no adds on the boards (it was beautiful though).    Hate that TD has an add on our uni's.   It looks garish for sure.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

I've stuck up for Bettman now and again.  He completely crossed a line by saying "over my dead body" pre-covid, when Adidas won their contract and had their tiny logo on it, saying they'd never sell advertising on the jerseys.   Just like GST, these things don't get rolled back.  Only forward.     Guess I'm in a bad mood for swearing, and no I'm not pining for the "good old days" when it was a clean sheet of ice, and no adds on the boards (it was beautiful though).    Hate that TD has an add on our uni's.   It looks garish for sure.  

I am.  I love seeing the boards and the ice in old 1970s and 1980s games.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I remember looking over the shoulder of my dad watching HNIC when I was a kid.  No distracting ads, even around the boards.  The focus was all on the game, nothing else. The NHL's TV sponsors were satisfied with revenue from the TV ads during stoppages.

I wish some big company, or a handful, would sponsor an ad free game in the arena itself.   Maybe have a flashy board animated ad showing up on period breaks, or even just before or after a TV ad break, around the boards. Even on the ice, and virtual space. But only those times. During the game play,, the boards would look like these vintage photos. Everyone would know the company or companies after that.  I'd go out of my way to support them. They'd get back their investment in spades.

6e1e4d22c6c445b2aa58348000c8489c.jpg

ntzhtqxt0v6ejqcb5btf.jpg

chicagostadium.jpg

Edited by kilgore
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Well yes, maybe I am too.   Get folks need to get paid, but and that the NHL isn't a sport that makes billionaire athletes (well not yet anyways).    It's disrespectful for the athletes before them, and the fans for sure.    

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I remember looking over the shoulder of my dad watching HNIC when I was a kid.  No distracting ads, even around the boards.  The focus was all on the game, nothing else. The NHL was satisfied with revenue from the TV ads during stoppages.

I wish some big company, would sponsor an ad free game.  Or rather, pay to be the sole advertiser.  Maybe have a flashy ad showing up on period breaks around the boards. Even on the ice, and virtual space. But only those times. During the game play the boards would look like these vintage photos. Everyone would know the company after that.  I'd go out of my way to support that company. They'd get back their investment in spades.

6e1e4d22c6c445b2aa58348000c8489c.jpg

ntzhtqxt0v6ejqcb5btf.jpg

chicagostadium.jpg

Eveyone in their Sunday best.   Not the same experience is it?  

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Eveyone in their Sunday best.   Not the same experience is it?  

Yeah people dressed up. Though I wouldn't want to be a kid sitting behind a guy wearing a big rimmed fedora.

On 1/9/2024 at 10:59 AM, RomanPer said:

Bobby Lou got a letter from a pissed off Vancouver fan 🙂 

Maybe it's just me but I find this very sweet. It feels like a loyal fan with the Canucks since the beginning, just expressing their thoughts on the jersey. I find it very interesting knowing how these jerseys were felt back then, just another perspective which I think makes very good sense. I think Luongo somewhat agrees and reposting this. Good read, good story.