PGT - Canucks at Islanders - 01/09/24

PhillipBlunt

42 minutes ago, Iron Man said:

I would, especially if it's going to be the mid to late 20s. We have a decent prospect pool with Lekkerimaki, Willander, Raty, etc. Unlike the Gillis years where we were competitive but had nothing in the cupboards.

A first round pick is nice, absolutely, better to swing for the fences earlier than later. But a first rounder does not a sure-fire high-caliber NHLer make - even 1OA as many, many articles have been written on this very topic. In arguably the most ridiculous draft class ever (makes just about everyone's list at #1), the 2003 draft class had about 12 absolute studs sprinkled in amongst the 30 selections (Fleury #1, Phaneuf #9, Getzlaf #19, Kesler #23, Corey Perry #28 ... you get the drift). In there were some average players and some absolute misses (Hugh Jessimen #12 played a total of 2 NHL games) and a sprinkling of meh players (Robert Nilsson #15 - a bit of an NHL career, Anthony Stewart #25, Shawn Belle #30 played 20 NHL games). The second round while having some gems (Patrice Bergeron #45, Corey Crawford #52, David Backes #62, Jimmy Howard #64) fell off a cliff. 

If moving what seems to be a very late first or very late second (not 2024 unless Canucks pick one up in a trade somehow) plus a prospect for a bonafide 25 yr old center just coming into their prime, yes, absolutely. 

Looking at 2003 as an example, the late few picks didn't amount to much or really move the needle, and yes, Patrice Bergeron was available but then with a do-over and hindsight, Rangers would have selected him at #12 instead of the HOF Jessimen they selected at that position. 

Even if the Canucks very late (we hope) 1st round pick turns out to be a Kesler 2.0 that would still take a few years to make an impact. If the Canucks got lucky and managed to pick up a Bergeron type player at that position, what would be the odds of doing so. However, odds aren't great on that and this team will look a lot different in a few years - better, worse, the same, who knows.

It comes down to, in my most humble opinion, on playing the type of poker PA / JR want to - all in now and improve the second line (assuming the Lotto Line stays together) or bet that the current team could really make some noise and even go all the way in order to keep the 2024 1st round pick and hoping they makes an impact right from the first season - similar to holding a pair of Kings with the flop showing a pair of 10's and a duece then hoping for the full house on either the turn or river card.

Exciting times to be alive and a Canuck Fan, yes indeed.

Edit: have the matter of cap so a good size chunk has to go out plus there is the 23/23 contract limit which would take care of itself (possibly) with money moving out. 

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

First time sweeping the metro New York road trip. Each game winner scored by Petey. What more could a fan ask for. Best points record after 41 games ever, brought to you by "Your Vancouver Canucks" Canucks are fun to watch right now. Keep it rolling!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Iron Man said:

I would, especially if it's going to be the mid to late 20s. We have a decent prospect pool with Lekkerimaki, Willander, Raty, etc. Unlike the Gillis years where we were competitive but had nothing in the cupboards.

A young, solid centre that could anchor the Canucks 2nd line for 5+ years is easily worth the 1st round pick this year. You MIGHT get a better player if you keep the pick, but it's years further down the line and probably less than 50/50 odds of drafting a better player. I'll take the increased odds of winning a Cup in the next 5 years, thanks :classic_cool:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

If we are a .500 team for the second half, we would end with 98 points. 

this team isn't going .500 the rest of the way. In a tough 7 game road trip, they're already 3-1. They win on Thursday against Pittsburgh, and they're 4-1, gauranteed to have a trip above .500 coming back. With the way they're playing, they could be 5-2 after this trip is all said and done. How amazing would that be?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

A young, solid centre that could anchor the Canucks 2nd line for 5+ years is easily worth the 1st round pick this year. You MIGHT get a better player if you keep the pick, but it's years further down the line and probably less than 50/50 odds of drafting a better player. I'll take the increased odds of winning a Cup in the next 5 years, thanks :classic_cool:

Sounds like Pavel Buchnevich 😉 

• Like 1

Just now, Future Considerations said:

New York, New York, been there done that for the first time in history they sweep NJ, NYR, NYI, wow, Canucks fans been waiting a long time.  

I couldn't believe that they've never swept the New York games in their entire existence. That's a really long time. 

Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

• Haha 3

Just now, Future Considerations said:

this Canucks team so good at the halfway mark of the 2023/2024 season!

Crazy turnover. 

Pro Scouting so good, that I'm confident Allvin and his team will find same profile players to replace the ones that they can't re-sign.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

this team isn't going .500 the rest of the way. In a tough 7 game road trip, they're already 3-1. They win on Thursday against Pittsburgh, and they're 4-1, gauranteed to have a trip above .500 coming back. With the way they're playing, they could be 5-2 after this trip is all said and done. How amazing would that be?

Can't imagine them playing bad anymore.  Schooled NYI tonight.  

I think this is the year the Canucks need to make a serious move and be buyers at the trade deadline. Even if it’s just a rental. This team as it’s built right now deserves every opportunity to go far in the playoffs. I don’t care about losing draft picks this year and next. I don’t care about trading any prospects (other than a handful untouchables). If it makes the team better. Do it. Nothing is guaranteed past this season with all the UFA/RFA’s we have. Let’s turn this team into a contender. We are already a playoff team. 

• Cheers 1

3 games, 4 nights, no problem..... 16 goals scored. 

24-0-0 when leading after two...

Sedinery for Peteys goal...

.500 would be ok for this road trip... looks like it could be even better.

What a team.....

On a side note, the Tocchet interview was really good... At no stage was it "I" but constantly 'We"... They are in this together...

Cool.....

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1