PGT - Canucks at Islanders - 01/09/24

PhillipBlunt

37 minutes ago, Rekker said:

It will be solely on Myers shoulders. He can get more on the open market, but Canucks have turned themselves into a destination now. That changes a lot.

I highly doubt he signs for a discount on what is probably his last contract.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

13 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Petey with 3 straight Game winning goals.  I wonder what the record is.  Since the Sens game it feels like the old Petey is back.  He's in his flow state now. Dialed in, not over thinking and riding on pure instinct. He's vibing.

No idea what the record is for consecutive games and couldn't find anywhere that is being tracked with a bit of Googling. I used to track all-time Canuck game winning goals pretty closely, was really hoping Daniel Sedin (Canuck record holder by a country mile with 86 game winners) could pass Gretzky's 91 before he retired. But the team just didn't win enough games in his last few years.

Pettersson currently has 29 game winners, good for 7th all time and one back of Brendan Morrison's 30. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

With the Canucks going to playoffs, when would they get assets for TM?

I don't think they trade him at the deadline anymore imo

I was being a bit sarcastic there, but from the context of his post about trading Myers for assets to bolster the top 6 forwards, I'm sure there would be interest in Myers

• Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Cutting down goals against is as important as points.

Not sure if we are agreeing or not heh... Myers is +16 so the puck is not in our net when he is on the ice...

2 minutes ago, canuck73 said:

I was being a bit sarcastic there, but from the context of his post about trading Myers for assets to bolster the top 6 forwards, I'm sure there would be interest in Myers

There would be interest, for sure, and they could probably get a tody sum for him.  However, if would also create a big hole on the right side that they'd have to fill and they don't have the players, in house, to do so.  

I think, for PA, that juice isn't worth the squeeze as they head into the post season.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

Wow, that’s nuts. I went further down the page to the minor news stories and there is literally no mention of the Canucks anywhere on the NHL.com home page. 

They had to take attention away from Canada's best performing team from the centre of the universe's eyes 

We shouldn't care (isn't that why no one in Canada pulled for us in 2010)?

We know what we have  and so do our players 🙂

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Tyler Myers has 18 points and is a +16.  He also has 47 hits and 75 blocks and is averaging over 19 minutes a night.  

The hate on this guy is ridiculous.  He’s playing like a top 4 Dman…

Ship him out at the TDL for a 1st!!!!!

Honestly we can't let all our UFA's walk for free. We need the draft capital. This management team knows this

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Also, re Myers....one of my biggest beefs has been how he actually screens our goalie rather than clearing out the front of the net. Also those diving along the ice plays where, when he misses, it puts him completely out of the play. He hasn't done that lately so it's seems they've cleaned that up. Sure, on occasion that's a desperation play that may work. But not as a "go to".

I wish he'd play more physical....Joshua, JT, Lafferty and Juulsen all have more hits in less games played than him. That's one of my beefs, is that he doesn't use his size as an advantage as much as he could.

This is right on target. The problem is that when he does amp up his physical play he tends to take too many penalties.

Myers is having his best year as a Canuck, though. I think he has learned a lot from Gonchar and Foote.

But he is still only a marginal top 4 D at best. And the PK improved when some of his minutes went to Juulsen instead.

• ThereItIs 1

43 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I highly doubt he signs for a discount on what is probably his last contract.

True, however, the man has made 6 million for years.  I’m sure he would take a discount to stay on a winning team especially with the bonds he has made throughout the years 

• Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

again, his production is not significant.

Juulson has shown he can handle a few more minutes. 

Myers is on pace for well over 30 points this year. Maybe Juulsen can improve offensively, but right now, he doesn't put up many points at all (2 points in 29 games). He's limited to good outlet passes and fairly sound defense. I think he's currently significantly behind Myers when it comes to offense, but he's shown remarkable improvement in about 5 weeks here, so maybe he can add a bit of offense to his game too.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

11 hours ago, Googlie said:

Paywall. Thankfully, I know how to read things for free in the archive (shhhhh 🤫):

Drance: "If something even approximating this form can be maintained, if the Canucks can graft this level of control and this level of quality — their superstar-level skilled players making superstar-level skill plays and generating chances at a dizzying volume — onto a solid profile that’s been built around goaltending, strong forward depth and solid team-level defence, they will have a much higher ceiling than they seemed to have as recently as a month ago. If they can maintain that level of control at the top of the lineup, they might even have real staying power as an elite team, even as the inevitability of regression hits.

If it holds, this might be a true contender-level side that should be bolstered aggressively ahead of the trade deadline. A wagon, in fact."

These last few games, it seems like our guys are hitting another gear and becoming a great (i.e. elite) team, just as Drance acknowledges. It's important for all of us to remember - even Drance - that we have a new coaching staff, a lot of new players, and a completely new system. They got off to a great start because they came ready to play this year. They've had their stumbles along the way, but they're starting to hit their stride as the system becomes more second-nature. 

Drance is a smart dude. He knows the difference between good and great teams. We've seen a very good team this year, when they're on, but also a team that, at times, seemingly forget the details of what they're supposed to be doing. But Drance always gives credit when it is due, even so far as to say they might want to be big buyers this TDL. His demeanor rubs some fans the wrong way, but if only those fans could accept him for who he is (hard for some to do, apparently), as they'd see a rabid Canucks fan in him just like the rest of us. To me, Drance is the kind of friend you debate with about all kinds of things, but who you know is incredibly intelligent the entire time, even when you disagree with him; and in the end, he's still the friend you love and will stick up for no matter what - even though he can get on your nerves sometimes - because you know he's a true friend (i.e. a true Canucks fan). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canuck73 said:

So how do we replace Myers top 4 production and ice time on the back end?

You take the assets that you get from Myers and flip it towards the future asset you want longer term. Same as we did for Horvat. We aren't in a position yet to be letting valuable assets walk for free. Imagine had we gotten hauls for Mark, Tanev and Toff where those pieces would be now? In the Hronek trade we took the 1st and added our own 2nd. Myers (the way he's playing) should be traded for at least a 2nd and a solid prospect, potentially even a 1st!.  We will then take the draft pick and attach our own pick/prospect  like to OTT for Artem Zub who's 28yrs . 6'3 200. 

Something like 

Myer to contender for 2nd and prospect 

Zub to Van for 2nd (we acquired and Bains or another draft pick. Something like that) 

Zub is under control for 3 years after this one. 

We get value for a pending UFA who we won't sign to an extension and in turn get Zub who will be a big part of our team going forward. For cents on the dollar.

1 hour ago, sassbs said:

True, however, the man has made 6 million for years.  I’m sure he would take a discount to stay on a winning team especially with the bonds he has made throughout the years 

Yeah you would think as us regular folks making less than a 1 million a year that it wouldn't matter, but it does. He's not going to walk away from 4-8 million just to play on his preferred team. I mean I guess he might, but he wants to provide as well as he can for his family too, plus he wants to be recognized amongst his peers. What you're suggesting doesn't really ever happen.

We'll see. To be honest though I don't want him back at any price. Time to move on. I'm happy he's playing well right now but it's far from a guarantee his play continues when he's not faced with a contract year. Too many concerns with Petey, and Hronek raise, plus OEL hit to take a chance. This is a guy most people were begging to shoot to the moon for most of his contract. Get while the getting's good.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1