PGT - Canucks at Islanders - 01/09/24

PhillipBlunt

18 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

A sort of "Well Duh" piece of info cause we've been there all along but it still looks good to see it in type..

What catches my eye is we lost a few decent guys but we have some great talent! 

Done! Lets do this, 4 months for everything to get synced and tuned and look at the size!

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Can't read it cause all I hear in my head is whining.  

Don't forget the backstabbing. :frantic: 😂

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It's slowly drifted away from being about reporting factual accounts of occurrences and situations, to more of an insular, self-serving opinion- based method of information management. 

I've been aware of him ever since his time creating Canucks Army, and he's always been a self-promoter over being an actual reporter. The difference between him and MacIntyre or Kuzma is noticeable. Consider Miller's response to him last week. Clearly Drunce is all in (much like the rest of CA) on the analytics train and has no applicable knowledge or experience otherwise to apply to his approach. 

Yeah, it's not about the content anymore it's about the image and persona .... kind of like mainstream "music/performance pieces" unfortunately. 

He's stabbed the team way too many times in the back for my tolerance. Especially like you said, from a no account non-hockey player with zero experience, who needs a spreadsheet to understand the game. Speaking of Canuks Army I don't subscribe or anything and only see it referenced here but wow are some of those articles ever poorly written. It's like correcting a 5 year olds creative writing assignment half of the time. Zero substance, almost like they were forced to come up with something ... anything.

Like that one that was posted today (Athletic - same crap in this case). If the Canucks can play like they have, sweeping all 3 New York teams, pounding the Devil's, and owning the top of the league team in the Rangers, and demoralizing the Isles, while outscoring the opposition 17-10, they'll be a really good team. Great observation Druncer, so glad you put that in writing for all of us to see. Such quality lol.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Miller would not say that to someone he respected. He did it polite and a bit funny but its still obvious but I mean why cant a team just be good? As it is? Why are people still speculating trades? We have a team.

Quite a lot of speculation on your point from a quick rib, no? You do know that Drance sings Miller's praise all the time, ya? 

11 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

So what is your interpretation of the meaning behind Miller giving him a rib? 

My interpretation of the meaning of Miller's comments? I don't need to interpret what Miller meant because he stated it quite clearly when he told Tommy to that he should watch the games. Pretty self-explanatory. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

My interpretation of the meaning of Miller's comments? I don't need to interpret what Miller meant because he stated it quite clearly when he told Tommy to that he should watch the games. Pretty self-explanatory. 

Way to dodge, Blunt. Humour me and give me the explanation, because what I hear from you and others is based in negative bias towards Drance. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Quite a lot of speculation on your point from a quick rib, no? You do know that Drance sings Miller's praise all the time, ya? 

I think JT cares more about what is said about the team than someone blowing smoke up his ass

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

I just don’t think it would work cap space wise. We would probably have to move some cap out to be able to bring someone meaningful in.

Possibly, but remember that a rental salary is pro rated I think

8 hours ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

At the same time they gotta be carful and not upset the chemistry snd find the fight fit…

A Tyler Toffoly type

the dude was a team player everyone loved him fit right in… totally improved the team 

Not sure if the Devils are open to this idea of a lateral swap of Kuzmenko for Toffoli.

Toffoli is a pending UFA and is looking for term and money. Devils aren't quite willing to commit term on Toffoli. Kuzmenko has another year left on his $5.5 million contract. The Devils run and gun offense style would really suit well for Kuzmenko. Jack Hughes with Kuzmenko would actually be fun duo to watch once Kuzy gets going and just go out there and play offense. Toffoli is responsible 2-way forechecking game with scoring touch is exactly the kind of player that would play well under Tocchet.

NJD gets a top 6 player at a reasonable cap hitfor another year, while the Canucks can pick up a good top 6 forward who is on an expiring contract that will come off the books at the end of the season as the Canucks would need to find as much cap space as possible to re-sign Petterssona and Hronek.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Tusk said:

I think JT cares more about what is said about the team than someone blowing smoke up his ass

The point is that you're speculating on what Miller thinks of Drance from watching him rib him after messing up his question. You have no idea what Miller thinks of Drance; you only know what you think of Drance and so you project that onto an innocuous moment. 

33 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

A sort of "Well Duh" piece of info cause we've been there all along but it still looks good to see it in type..

What catches my eye is we only have 3 Canadian born players in the lineup. Who would have thought.

We're definitely going to need to up the Canadians  if we want to see that grit and pushback in the playoffs.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah, it's not about the content anymore it's about the image and persona .... kind of like mainstream "music/performance pieces" unfortunately. 

Very true. The days of Lloyd Roberston just telling it straight seem over. 

He's stabbed the team way too many times in the back for my tolerance. Especially like you said, from a no account non-hockey player with zero experience, who needs a spreadsheet to understand the game.

I don't think he's stabbed the team in the back, as (in my opinion) that would require that there was an established relationship of trust between the Canucks and him. There isn't. Drance is free to write what he feels regarding the subject and doesn't owe the team any fealty.

For me, it's his one-sided myopic approach to the subject matter that's lacking. 

Speaking of Canuks Army I don't subscribe or anything and only see it referenced here but wow are some of those articles ever poorly written. It's like correcting a 5 year olds creative writing assignment half of the time. Zero substance, almost like they were forced to come up with something ... anything.

Canucks Army seems to be cut from the same cloth, seeing as how Drance and another similar writer JD Burke created it. I find MacIntyre and Kuzma to be two of the best writers on the team. They can be complimentary and critical simultaneously, but construct strong articles.

Like that one that was posted today (Athletic - same crap in this case). If the Canucks can play like they have, sweeping all 3 New York teams, pounding the Devil's, and owning the top of the league team in the Rangers, and demoralizing the Isles, while outscoring the opposition 17-10, they'll be a really good team. Great observation Druncer, so glad you put that in writing for all of us to see. Such quality lol.

That is a common thread in so many news articles these days. Telling people what they already know, or deciding for the readership what they need to know. There's a level of hubris in that approach that truly grates my nerves. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Don't forget the backstabbing. :frantic: 😂

Drance used to be on SN intermissions few seasons ago. Even though he follows the team on road every game, you never see him at SN intermission anymore home or away. You see IMac you even see Dayal on the road games with Murph. That’s tells me all I need to know about how Canucks feel about his constant negative content.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Way to dodge, Blunt. Humour me and give me the explanation, because what I hear from you and others is based in negative bias towards Drance. 

You didn't get what you wanted from my comment, so now I'm dodging? That's unfortunate for you, truly. Must be frustrating when your leading question doesn't get you the answer you were looking for. 

I can't help that you hear what you want to and disregard the rest. 

57 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Ha, nope. I just like Drance's analytical mind to the game of hockey. I find his takes interesting and well-thought out. I also like his balance of sticking by his analysis and his ability to show humility when he's wrong or something changes. I'm able to accept his demeanor, as I see it as fire for the team and game, and I see past his cackle, his cutting people off to often, etc., and enjoy what he brings to this team and fanbase. What I don't like is when fans misrepresent his views and how they unnecessarily react to him, as it shows a lack of intellectual honesty and emotional intelligence. 

Drance's analytics are a welcomed addition to conversations, but his persistent focus on the negatives no matter how good or bad the team is doing has left me no choice but to think that he has a pre-established agenda whenever he's doing his radio hits. And I strongly disagree on the humility, he's refused to walk back on his comments previously saying that the Canucks needed to do a complete tear down. 

48 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't know about that. They have every right, regardless how we feel about them, to ply their trade. Clearly some folks like it and give them traffic. 

They get my traffic cause of the guests on their podcast. Those guys alone in a vacuum are a waste of my time. But at the end of day it's just my opinion - I don't work in the industry, but even I understand that negativity sells in the media business. JPat, Sekeres and Price do a job of that. 

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

The point is that you're speculating on what Miller thinks of Drance from watching him rib him after messing up his question. You have no idea what Miller thinks of Drance; you only know what you think of Drance and so you project that onto an innocuous moment. 

I think its great that you like Drance. But I know enough about JT to know he and probably most Canucks fans think you cant predict the future or even the present. If Drance wants to keep comparing to last year his charts should be the opposite. He should be predicting the cup, no "regression".

I actually dont mind Drance at all. I think compared to the older guys hes actually refreshing.

I watch ALOT of post game/pre game media and I dont arrive at the popular opinion that hes crap.

Im starting to have problems with some of the older reporters who are less searching for stories and

more searching to relive older by gone era's with the comparisons they make. 

I get that some of the older reporters are fans as well but keep your emotions in check and your questions

relevant. Too many times I can predict what some of these guys are going to ask. I find Drance to be 

actually on the other side of all those guys. 

And if being critical of the team is "stabbing" the team then I like my reporters like Dexter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Possibly, but remember that a rental salary is pro rated I think

By my math I calculated 40 days from the Mar 9th TDL to the April 18th season end date. 

Divide that by the 143 day season date and I get .28%. Multiply that by Myers $6 and I get $1.7 mil needed to take on Myers. Not sure if that's entirely correct but seems logical. Plus we could retain ... but then again it's all moot because he would need to be replaced anyway. I can see us adding on D, but not subtracting. Unless we see an opportunity to add a cheaper, younger player longer-term I think he stays here this year.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You didn't get what you wanted from my comment, so now I'm dodging? That's unfortunate for you, truly. Must be frustrating when your leading question doesn't get you the answer you were looking for. 

I can't help that you hear what you want to and disregard the rest. 

You're dodging because you're not answering a simple question. If you make such a comment, it shouldn't be difficult to stand by it with sound reasoning rather than not answering and flipping it around onto me.

Just now, KoreanHockeyFan said:

They get my traffic cause of the guests on their podcast. Those guys alone in a vacuum are a waste of my time. But at the end of day it's just my opinion - I don't work in the industry, but even I understand that negativity sells in the media business. JPat, Sekeres and Price do a job of that. 

I do think if Vancouver had at the very least one more major sports team (NFL/NBA/MLB) there wouldn't be such a bubbling cauldron of opinion and "news" on the Canucks, but because the Canucks are the sole major sports team here, the folks in the media tend to go into the minutia and sensationalize every detail regarding the team. As well, the last decade of futility with the team has seemingly set up the appetite for the average fan to want to feast on more negative aspects, which hopefully this roster's dominance can help the fanbase wean itself off of the doom and gloom. 

Drance doesn’t have his own analytics model. He uses Doms model also the same model that says Quinn is tier 3b. 
He wanted a full rebuild and it didn’t happen so he wrote every article that supported his ‘opinion’. He even said we shouldn’t be trading picks for Hronek and Lafferty. He said two years ago flames were elite. His elite team this year is the Kings.

i don’t know about you but that doesn’t come off as a brilliant mind.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I do think if Vancouver had at the very least one more major sports team (NFL/NBA/MLB) there wouldn't be such a bubbling cauldron of opinion and "news" on the Canucks, but because the Canucks are the sole major sports team here, the folks in the media tend to go into the minutia and sensationalize every detail regarding the team. As well, the last decade of futility with the team has seemingly set up the appetite for the average fan to want to feast on more negative aspects, which hopefully this roster's dominance can help the fanbase wean itself off of the doom and gloom. 

It's why I'm so happy Donnie and Dhali came into the picture when they did. I can't imagine the sports talk space being monopolized by Sekeres and Price - it'd be sickening to listen to. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

You're dodging because you're not answering a simple question. If you make such a comment, it shouldn't be difficult to stand by it with sound reasoning rather than not answering and flipping it around onto me.

I answered your question, and clearly you didn't like the answer. Instead of accepting it, you claim that I'm dodging. Whatever dialogue you've got going on in your head regarding the situation isn't something I'm bound to. 

Why would one look to read into or interpret a person's statement when what they made was a very clear statement? JT Miller correcting Drance and saying that he should watch the games isn't a statement with a whole lot of nuance to it. Pretty cut and dry as to why Miller stated what he did. Drance mistakenly stated one player when it was another player, Miller corrected him and then added a rub at the end. 

But sure let's "interpret" what Miller was really thinking.......😆

• Like 1