PGT - Canucks at Islanders - 01/09/24

PhillipBlunt

4 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Drance's analytics are a welcomed addition to conversations, but his persistent focus on the negatives no matter how good or bad the team is doing has left me no choice but to think that he has a pre-established agenda whenever he's doing his radio hits. And I strongly disagree on the humility, he's refused to walk back on his comments previously saying that the Canucks needed to do a complete tear down. 

He has walked it back in his recent article. He's gone as far as saying that if the Canucks can play like they have been these last few games, which is a style of play we've seen in bits and pieces this year, then we should be buyers at this year's TDL. That's a far ways away from saying rebuild. For the record, lots of fans wanted a rebuild at the time, myself included, because the Canucks have never done it before and Bedard was there for the taking. Simply analyzing holes in the team or deficiencies in play is not being negative. In fact, he sings the praise of the team in lots of ways every day on his show and in his articles. It's the negative bias towards him that prevents some fans from seeing this. 

4 minutes ago, Tusk said:

I think its great that you like Drance. But I know enough about JT to know he and probably most Canucks fans think you cant predict the future or even the present. If Drance wants to keep comparing to last year his charts should be the opposite. He should be predicting the cup, no "regression".

Drance's narrative has been the following this year: we were not a good team last year (clearly true)->this year has surprised everyone (he thought, like basically everyone else, that we were going to be a wc team, as no one expected us to improve this much to currently be 2nd in the league) and now it's clear we're a good team and fighting for top in the pacific and league-->now the team is close to actually being an elite contender, so if they are hitting another gear and keep this up, we should be buyers at this year's TDL. 

Oh, what a negative loser he is! 😱

2 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

It's why I'm so happy Donnie and Dhali came into the picture when they did. I can't imagine the sports talk space being monopolized by Sekeres and Price - it'd be sickening to listen to. 

Those two are a hoot to listen to. Amazing how quickly Dhali goes to yelling these days. 

43 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Umm we played two more games and they had two more wins which would be 4 points.

Haven’t gained a ton of ground but it’s more than what he’s painting.

The image in the tweet doesn't tell the whole story, D. Since November 23rd, the Oilers are 16-3-0 for 32 points, while the Canucks are 14-5-2 for 30 points.

Lazy cropping by Jeff there.

"I've been aware of him ever since his time creating Canucks Army, and he's always been a self-promoter over being an actual reporter. The difference between him and MacIntyre or Kuzma is noticeable. Consider Miller's response to him last week. Clearly Drunce is all in (much like the rest of CA) on the analytics train and has no applicable knowledge or experience otherwise to apply to his approach. 

My interpretation of the meaning of Miller's comments? I don't need to interpret what Miller meant because he stated it quite clearly when he told Tommy to that he should watch the games. Pretty self-explanatory."

You haven't provided any interpretation from your standpoint. What's so self-explanatory about him ribbing Drance that he should watch the games? What do you think Miller meant by this comment, that he doesn't watch the games? That he disagrees with what Drance reports as a result of not watching games? 

3 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Yes it is, but it also takes 2 to tango.  I like some of his points and it's clear he has a great understanding of the game but it's hard to listen to when he comes off as a whiny baby.  That's on him.

He's on the radio now. Let's see how much he whines and all the egregious things he says today...

33 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

Not sure if the Devils are open to this idea of a lateral swap of Kuzmenko for Toffoli.

Toffoli is a pending UFA and is looking for term and money. Devils aren't quite willing to commit term on Toffoli. Kuzmenko has another year left on his $5.5 million contract. The Devils run and gun offense style would really suit well for Kuzmenko. Jack Hughes with Kuzmenko would actually be fun duo to watch once Kuzy gets going and just go out there and play offense. Toffoli is responsible 2-way forechecking game with scoring touch is exactly the kind of player that would play well under Tocchet.

NJD gets a top 6 player at a reasonable cap hitfor another year, while the Canucks can pick up a good top 6 forward who is on an expiring contract that will come off the books at the end of the season as the Canucks would need to find as much cap space as possible to re-sign Petterssona and Hronek.

I’m all for bringing Toffoli back (never should have been let go in my opinion). 
He would definitely help solidify our Top 6 which I think is really the only thing lacking on this team.

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

The TOI distribution across the board has been great. Hronek and Hughes were up a bit last night but the way Hronek was mowing down NYI defenders with his shot there was no reason for RT to sit him. The 2nd PP was actually getting 1 minute of TOI a couple of times. Let alone this road trip the run to playoffs with some rest for players will be a big deal. Again, I thought the score flattered NYI to a degree. They had some looks but the Canuck forecheck was beating out the d-play consistently thru the game. Let's face it, Connor Garland drives his line. With more accuracy he would push 20 goals easily. His play has been outstanding. 

My concerns last night was Aman losing the physical game as Martin leaned on him a lot. Big kid who will get stronger. Kuz? Late on the back check again. I like how he handles the puck in the ozone but from the centerline back he doesn't have it.

Kudos to Tyler Meyer. He takes a lot of flak but his game has turned. The kaos moments are getting fewer and that shot last night was intimidating. Mind you the whole d-core with 3 goals was impressive. When was the last time we saw anything like that? Soucy is more than solid. 

Totally - I don’t think we have ever had such a great D-core ever… from Demko on out… it’s petty sick…nor have we ever had such a talented coaching staff… 

And one other thing of note 

Where has that hate towards that so called meddling owner gone… now that this team is rolling in the right direction…? “poof” it’s vanished into thin air…

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a quick turnaround in sports.… It’s unbelievable how good this management team is in acquiring the right players - it’s like God is in their side or something… everything is clicking atm… from management to coaching to players 

an amazing sight to behold…

this is so fun to take in…

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

The funny thing is it's based in backwoods Texas. It's actually a modern today's age depiction. 😆

Yeah, he used to almost ruin the entire broadcast when his sniveling whiny attack of whatever the Canucks were doing at that time blatted it's way onto the airwaves. He was extra annoying back then. So glad the Canucks distanced themselves from this leech. At least now you just hear the odd crap tweet from him and move on.

@PhillipBlunt and @Jester13: If I have to read between the lines I think Miller is basically saying, "please shut up Drance, we're all sick of you, you're nothing but a goof". Obviously 🤭

Another way to read between the lines is that Miller simply gave him a rib because the opportunity presented itself, but that that in no way leads to such a thing as Miller doesn't respect him or is sick of him or that him and the rest of the team thinks he's a goof. 

1 minute ago, Chon derry said:

Maybe the Canuck fanbase would be a little more positive about drance but it’s pretty hard  to get behind a local media guy when he’s pumpin LAKs tires whilst being negative about the Canucks and any positivity he does have  comes with reluctance to do so. 

Drance goes by analytics and the eye test. He sings the Canucks praise all the time while expressing some hesitance in certain areas. What's so egregious about this? He's loving this season and how well they're doing, and he continues to give the players and team their due, such as after the last three games and calling them close to actually being elite contenders. How more positive can someone get, and what's so negative about this? 

14 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Another way to read between the lines is that Miller simply gave him a rib because the opportunity presented itself, but that that in no way leads to such a thing as Miller doesn't respect him or is sick of him or that him and the rest of the team thinks he's a goof. 

Drance goes by analytics and the eye test. He sings the Canucks praise all the time while expressing some hesitance in certain areas. What's so egregious about this? He's loving this season and how well they're doing, and he continues to give the players and team their due, such as after the last three games and calling them close to actually being elite contenders. How more positive can someone get, and what's so negative about this? 

Yeah I know. I am not being completely serious here obviously but I appreciate the opportunity to take a cruel dig at him like he does to everyone else. I always joke that my contract stipulates I must condemn him at every mention on CFF. But I do think in this case there is a seriously good probability Miller responded that way exactly for the reasons I stated.

As far as your take in your other post:

Drance's narrative has been the following this year: we were not a good team last year (clearly true)->this year has surprised everyone (he thought, like basically everyone else, that we were going to be a wc team, as no one expected us to improve this much to currently be 2nd in the league) and now it's clear we're a good team and fighting for top in the pacific and league-->now the team is close to actually being an elite contender, so if they are hitting another gear and keep this up, we should be buyers at this year's TDL.

I think it's not some evidence of him walking it back as you claim but finally having to admit against insurmountable evidence that he has no clue what he's talking about. I mean it doesn't mean he's a genius for recognizing the Canucks are playing well right now. A five year old can do that. What a piece of fluff.

In my opinion a good sports writer delivers the facts and some unique insights of the game that leaves you thinking about the content and the team, not how big of an ahole he/she is. That's Drance in a nutshell.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • ThereItIs 1

16 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I like that description- insular. Like a insular self serving view point. Creating a narrative from their own cocoon of sports analysis.  Too much hypothetical opinion making, when all we need is the facts, stats and outcomes of our team.

Someone just said that Drance saying Canucks should be buying at the TDL is "positive" . Thats exactly the problem, people just cant enjoy what we already got.

The effort everyone plays with we dont need some coaster coming on to the team.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I know. I am not being completely serious here obviously but I appreciate the opportunity to take a cruel dig at him like he does to everyone else. I always joke that my contract stipulates I must condemn him at every mention on CFF. But I do think in this case there is a seriously good probability Miller responded that way exactly for the reasons I stated.

Drance's narrative has been the following this year: we were not a good team last year (clearly true)->this year has surprised everyone (he thought, like basically everyone else, that we were going to be a wc team, as no one expected us to improve this much to currently be 2nd in the league) and now it's clear we're a good team and fighting for top in the pacific and league-->now the team is close to actually being an elite contender, so if they are hitting another gear and keep this up, we should be buyers at this year's TDL.

I think it's not some evidence of him walking it back as you claim but finally having to admit against insurmountable evidence that he has no clue what he's talking about. I mean it doesn't mean he's a genius for recognizing the Canucks are playing well right now. A five year old can do that. What a piece of fluff.

He gives solid reasoning all the time about why they're playing so much better, though, just like last year he was giving solid reasoning why they were a terrible team. I think it's more about fans not hearing him criticize - and rightly so - the team last year, but now that he is singing their praise this year - and rightly so - they can't handle it because they worked themselves up so much last year when they couldn't handle hearing the truth. Or, it's simply a case of some fans never listening to his show every day or reading his articles, but still having no problem crying about him every day.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

He gives solid reasoning all the time about why they're playing so much better, though, just like last year he was giving solid reasoning why they were a terrible team. I think it's more about fans not hearing him criticize - and rightly so - the team last year, but now that he is singing their praise this year - and rightly so - they can't handle it because they worked themselves up so much last year when they couldn't handle hearing the truth. Or, it's simply a case of some fans never listening to his show every day or reading his articles, but still having no problem crying about him every day.

Fans knew why they sucked last year. No structure and no bubble demko.

46 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Drance's narrative has been the following this year: we were not a good team last year (clearly true)->this year has surprised everyone (he thought, like basically everyone else, that we were going to be a wc team, as no one expected us to improve this much to currently be 2nd in the league) and now it's clear we're a good team and fighting for top in the pacific and league-->now the team is close to actually being an elite contender, so if they are hitting another gear and keep this up, we should be buyers at this year's TDL. 

If we aren't already an elite contender then nobody in the league is an elite contender.  Nobody buys the "close to actually being an elite contender" prevarication.  Also Drance was always a negative nellie.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Someone just said that Drance saying Canucks should be buying at the TDL is "positive" . Thats exactly the problem, people just cant enjoy what we already got.

The effort everyone plays with we dont need some coaster coming on to the team.

Everyone - fans and pundits - is debating right now what the Canucks should do at this year's TDL. This is a major positive. We're talking about being buyers to go for an actual legit chance at the cup this year.

13 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

There are ex players who use analytics and then there’s analytic geeks who only know analytics and rely on it only because that’s all they know and haven't played the game and have no understanding of the inner workings of the team game. His background is marketing. At this point he might as well stick with his schtick as it wouldn’t make Canuck followers take him any more serious if he did change and become more positive on a daily basis 

Edited by Chon derry
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

17 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I do feel bad for Horvat. I mean he’s likely wondering how come they couldn’t do it when he was there. Weird how sports works sometimes. Without moving him we wouldn’t have had Hronek so I guess it needed to happen I just feel for the guy knowing he tried his best here.

I blame the lack of success under Horvat more on management than anything.

The Canucks should've been a regular playoff team after the bubble run if Benning didn't commit so much stupid money in overpaid bottom 6 forwards who don't help improve the team.

Imagine how much better team depth would've been if we had our current management group while Petey and Hughes are still on their ELC; Horvat at 5.5, Boeser at 5.85 and Miller at 5.25 and Demko was on the last year his 1.05 contract in 2020-2021 season as well.

This management group would've been able to add so much depth during that year and we could've easily came out top in that COVID Canadian division and go for a playoff run.