PGT - Canucks at Islanders - 01/09/24

PhillipBlunt

1 hour ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

As much as how great of an addition Lindholm would be, I don't think Calgary's ready to get fleeced by the same divisional rival twice in the same season 😅

Conroy: Hello Allvin? 

Allvin: Yes, this is God speaking.

Conroy: I hear you need a center. Care to make a deal?

Allvin:R.7a873c5f11bd7da4207549d130767ca6?rik=6

Allvin: *snort* *wheeze* ... stop, just stop ... enough already, enough

Allvin: ahh, ya, ok, one sec ... let me consult my people giphy.gif

Yes, recycled but still applicable. After what PA / JR have managed over the past half of last season and this season so far, there is nothing I wouldn't put past them including grabbing Sidney Crosby & a 1st round pick from the Penguins straight up for Tyler Myers

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Haha 2

I just want to say that fans are wanting to have an additional to the roster for a 2C but I do not agree with that because we do have perfect chemistry all over the line-up.   It will cost us picks and prospects that might be ready, even the next season.  If we want to keep Pettersson to a long term at the top price then we need to plan around the ELC contract to off-set this and maybe allow our young players to make the team next season for next three years because the cap hit will increase but the buyout penalty will keep our salary stagnant then after that, we gained a little bit with 2.1 million dollars for next 4 years until the buyout penalty is over.   If the management doesn't really like Kuz then we could trade him in the off-season for some return, maybe draft pick.  He choose us for a reason and expect to stay with us and should allow him a chance to turn his game around.   I think we do not need to do anything this deadlines, I mean, look at us, I mean the highest difference in the league and we want something more.   Stop being greedy and think about next season and beyond even if we make noise in the playoffs.  

If we need lotto line, we can throw them in at anytime when time arrives and I felt that our prospects are ready and is not given a chance just yet because with the way we are playing so I hate to see something might be lost in prospect pool just for a rental.  There are no need to be rushed.  Let them have a chance this season and see what happens then make some adjustment this off-season, opening the door for prospects to make the team or trade him away if we think he is not ready but is wavier eligible for a trade in return with some player under our control on our team.  That is the way I see it unfolding this season.  I think that they have truly earned a chance in the playoffs and do not want to tear it down for a rental where chemistry might be harder to get back.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

It's actually not too difficult to find.  It's all here:

2010-11:  https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/2011_games.html

2023-24:  https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/2024_games.html

2010-11:  At the 41 game mark, the Canucks were 27-8-6 so 60 points in 41 games.  Goals For: 141, Goals Against: 99 -- Goal Differential:  42

2023-24:  At the 41 game mark, the Canucks are 27-11-3 so 57 points in 41 games.  Goals For:  160, Goals Against: 107 -- Goal Differential:  53

Pretty darn close.  A difference of 3 OT losses, but a better goal differential.

Lack of playoff experience is the main difference. Current group is a relative rookie (had one run in the covid cup).  

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Lack of playoff experience is the main difference. Current group is a relative rookie (had one run in the covid cup).  

Yup, but the positive is that this team is just seeing their window open and they're already one of the best Canucks teams we have ever seen assembled.  As long as we can keep this window open for 3 or 4 years, we have a really strong chance at winning it all.

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

But the current group also has some cup champions, and the coaching staff have a plethora of cups.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Integra250 said:

But the current group also has some cup champions, and the coaching staff have a plethora of cups.

Yip. St Louis and LA weren't grizzled playoff teams when they won. 

Edited by Rekker
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 2

27 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Myers to a contender... are we not a contender?

I'm all for stocking the cupboards, but with the way they are playing they deserve a crack at the title, if they continue this level of play.

Don't think the room will be too impressed, if the by far best team we've had since 2011, is being dismantled prior to the playoffs. Even if they bring other pieces in... When you hear them speak in interviews, Myers seems to have the respect of the other players...

We in this market know how injuries affect a team. Myers is playing his best hockey in his career, no he isn't a $6M dollar player, but he's doing what he's supposed to do as a defender. The fact that this team has 4 guys that can play the 5-6 spot on this roster is something this team hasn't had in years. Why would they trade Myers? Some of the posters on this board are hilarious.

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I see you're really banging the drum hard for not adding or subtracting anyone from this group. I think people are rightfully thinking about it at this stage. Remember our competition will be doing the same. 

I do think you're right to some extent that you don't want to mess with chemistry. However there are still question marks on this team. Are we strong enough and deep enough to play playoff hockey? Do we have enough scoring and grit in the top 6. When a team is doing this well typically you want to see that out and give yourself the best chance at winning.

We really have zero AHL guys I would be 100% comfortable throwing into a playoff series. In fact quite the opposite, we haven't had a single call up come in and show that capability. Also, a Cole Lind type is not going to accomplish anything.

So my main concern is that without cap space, we have to move a significant cap space out with a trade. So you all are thinking Kuzmenko because he just isnt connecting right now.

But who is to say someone coming into the group is going to gel with the team? Look a Huberdeau in Calgary.

Are we even going to give away prospects too? If Alvin can find someone who is on a long contract and the team is willing to retain cap, then ok. I am for it.

but at some point Kuzy will stop dreaming of Bali and start dreaming of the stanley cup and will get going again.

3 minutes ago, Tusk said:

So my main concern is that without cap space, we have to move a significant cap space out with a trade. So you all are thinking Kuzmenko because he just isnt connecting right now.

But who is to say someone coming into the group is going to gel with the team? Look a Huberdeau in Calgary.

Are we even going to give away prospects too? If Alvin can find someone who is on a long contract and the team is willing to retain cap, then ok. I am for it.

but at some point Kuzy will stop dreaming of Bali and start dreaming of the stanley cup and will get going again.

The big question about Kuzy is his NHL conditioning, so will he perform in the postseason under Tocc's system when he so far hasn't in the regular season? We don't know. But add that to how many expiring contracts we have of guys who will want raises - Joshua, Blueger, DeSmith, Zadorov, Hronek (rfa), Petey (rfa), Cole - this year the stars are aligning, so we may want to sacrifice Kuzy and this year's 1st to go for it. There are examples of teams going for it (Boston) and it not working out, but conversely there are examples of it working out (Carolina, LA). Damned if you do and damned if you don't. 

1 hour ago, Mordekai said:

i didn't realize this season we are having such a good year that it is comparable to our best year. Amazing!

Reading the PGTs after a loss, suggests you are not the only one not realising it...

The moans and unhappiness is absolutely unreal after a loss or a few poor performances... 2 weeks ago it was suggested Petey should be traded...

Enjoy the ride folks... it doesn't happen that often.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Barnstorm said:

How quickly goes he get picked up I wonder. 

I bet he is calling us rather than us calling him. Could you imagine how screwed up Drance's stats will get when he has.to compensate for drama?

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

What do you all think of this from MoneyPuck 

GDgvJs8bYAADJxV.jpeg

I gave up on sports betting (fantasy aside) long ago, but when I was in Vegas in October I almost put money down on the Nucks.

Odds are a wee bit better now than then :classic_laugh:

25 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Yay or nay?

Sure, at a minimum wage contract.  It is like additional without costing us anything in our prospect pool and I cannot think any reason why Corey wouldn't want to play in a top team in the league unless he thinks that Colorado, Boston, Winnipeg is better team than the Canucks.  He ought to weight in a chance to play with Pettersson or Miller's line or even helps PP1 even more.   Let's not trade away foolishly with our prospect when thinking about contract expiring this off-season and not everyone will be back and we want to keep momentum into the future.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

The rest of the month looks like an easy schedule when you get past the Pens and the Leafs.   It's Feb, March and April that will be the test.  But I can see the Canucks going 7-1 or 6-2 in their next 8 games easily.  

hmmm....

There's a reason the games are played... fools game to think its easy from here on in....

Hopefully they don't take the foot of the gas, believing they are better, than they are....

Keep the foot on the pedal and lets see, if really is that easy 🙂

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I do feel bad for Horvat. I mean he’s likely wondering how come they couldn’t do it when he was there. Weird how sports works sometimes. Without moving him we wouldn’t have had Hronek so I guess it needed to happen I just feel for the guy knowing he tried his best here.

I don't feel bad at all. He was one of the reasons why the team was unsuccessful. Eating up huge minutes with minimum effort most nights.

His first few years he was a wagon like Miller is but then he mailed it in on 75% of his games. When he was skating he was a dominant first line player but when he wasn't we saw much of exactly what he was this game. Disappointing. 

• Upvote 1