PGT - Canucks at Islanders - 01/09/24

PhillipBlunt

1 hour ago, CanuckMan said:

Everyone needs to put the trade Myers talk to rest. Yeah the guy makes mistakes but we won’t have the same depth with him gone. I’d be happy with re-signing both Myers and Zadorav to equal 4 million/year deals in the off season. 

In the playoffs hits matter when you play the same guy the next day so yeah, let's keep them both.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Allvin has 11 contract renewals coming due at the end of the season.  He is obviously looking at Petey first and will be prioritizing his list while trying to improve the team at the same time.  Who gets signed will depend on the on ice fit as well as the cap fit based on player demands and how that might play out over the coming years wrt dead cap and free agent alternatives.

My personal priority list:

1. Petey
  2. Hronek
  3. DeSmith

After that, I think we'll be looking at a partner for Quinn Hughes.  Myers might be considered top 4 depending on the alternatives.  He's not bad with a good partner but I can't see him back for more than $3M but not if he's going to be bottom pair.  I think that if there is a good alternative, he'll be a free agent.  Zadorov is a very good bottom pair D but it's pretty hard to pay a bottom pair player $4M.  He's only back at that number on a short term contract and if his partner is getting less than $1M.

Blueger is high on my list too.  It's clearly a complicated puzzle to work out.

Very tricky indeed. There are a number of ways they could go about it so we'll see what happens.

@Jester13

I think the Canucks have broken Drance's brain this year, he's gotten to the point of not calling it the lotto line b/c of the order they lineup in (which he wasn't even right about). Basically a parody of himself.

I've always said I respect his work ethic & dedication, and I do agree with him sometimes (I'd even like to agree more), but I think he's too self serving & its often not enjoyable to listen too.

He was on his high horse alot last year, now this year the team is proving alot of what he's said to be wrong yet until recently he was still clinging to anything he could (the whole points percentage thing he was on for example, as if only being 3rd in the league instead of 1st is an own), getting unsustainably lucky apparently, not willing to admit he was wrong about the rebuild, and whatever else.

He has come around recently, but when your whole thing was being 'the guy who told you so' about; Miller, Hronek, Mikheyev, needing to rebuild, this going to take longer than Rutherford thinks, the core just not being good enough, trading picks for Lafferty/DeSmith, exc. And 'told you so' in such a spirited & definitive way, then being the takes guy comes back around. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, g_bassi13 said:

Drance was super negative about how this team was being cried. Felt like almost every step they took was the wrong one, according to him. He wasn't even being suggestive that these might not be correct, in a lot his reviewing. He was being downright incredulous about how wrong the road that the team was going down was wrong. Like ranting and raving levels.

My problem with him isn't even that he was wrong about almost everything he was saying, it's that he's one of those people that comes off as upset that he's wrong. So if the team succeeding is against his predictions, he's having a hard time being happy that they're winning. I just can't stand when people are like that.

Like it doesn't matter that he was "supposed" to be right, or how many people agreed with him. He was ultimately wrong. The people being pessimistic about trading picks away were wrong. And I don't think they can handle that the optimistic people had a point about how there ultimately was something to this team and its core all along. 

At least it finally feels like he's stopped waiting for the other shoe to drop, and for the team to start failing. A biblical adherence to advanced stats can only take you so far.

Haven't heard much shit spewing out of JD Burke's mouth recently either. 

Edited by Barn Burner
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Anyway, to hell with those clowns. We've been playing exceptionally well lately, and it doesn't look we're gonna stop, either. 

Obviously there will be peaks and valleys, but this team is coming along a LOT better than the majority would have hoped for. 

Let's keep it going and kick some Pittsburgh ass tomorrow night! 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

@Jester13

I think the Canucks have broken Drance's brain this year, he's gotten to the point of not calling it the lotto line b/c of the order they lineup in (which he wasn't even right about). Basically a parody of himself.

I've always said I respect his work ethic & dedication, and I do agree with him sometimes, but I think he's too self serving & its not enjoyable to listen too. He was on his high horse alot last year, now this year the team is proving alot of what he's said to be wrong but until recently he was still clinging to anything he could (the whole points percentage thing he was on for example), getting lucky apparently, and whatever else.

He has come around recently, but when your whole thing was being the guy 'who told you so' about Miller, Hronek, Mikheyev, not rebuilding, trading picks for Lafferty/DeSmith, exc. and told you so in such a spirited & definitive way, then being the takes guy comes back around. 

Thing is: no one has a perfect record in their takes or opinions, but it's the ones who can update their opinions when things change and/or they're shown something different who are commendable. 

What I find tiring is fans incessantly bashing him all while misrepresenting what his takes or opinions are. Points percentage was merely him pointing out that other teams had so many games in hand; PDO was merely him pointing out the history of teams with the same level of "lucky bounces" and that fans should prepare for some regression; last year, his take on fans thinking that just getting into the playoffs means we have a chance to win it all, when it takes much more than that; etc. etc. He has his warts like anyone does, but the level of vitriol thrown his way here and on social media is quite gross at times.

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Oh Tommy.

Your labeling of those who don’t like Drunce as negative and those who do like him as level headed, seems to point to you as either heading up his fanclub or the analytics “guru” himself. 

Stay gold, Drancyboy. 

Care to offer your thoughts on Dhaliwal's comments on Miller and Drance being good friends and it was simply Miller ripping him, or do you want to stick by your interpretation?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Very tricky indeed. There are a number of ways they could go about it so we'll see what happens.

That's why this "We need to go all in" talk to me is wrong. It just means more players that are useful and already doing great will go somewhere else.

If Calgary is crazy enough to trade Lindholm, and at a reasonable amount. And he's willing to sign an extension, I'm all in favour of that.

• Cheers 3

46 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

That's why this "We need to go all in" talk to me is wrong. It just means more players that are useful and already doing great will go somewhere else.

If Calgary is crazy enough to trade Lindholm, and at a reasonable amount. And he's willing to sign an extension, I'm all in favour of that.

True. Any trade that's at a reasonable amount without selling the farm, sure. 

But some of these proposals on here are absolute brain-dead stupid.

Seriously. 

Just like the Zadorov trade, we weren't the ones who were in the "desperate" situation. Calgary knew he was walking at the end of the year and thankfully our management realized that and got him for a fair price. There were some clowns on here wanting to trade Podkolzin, Hoggy, a 1st + and other absolutely stunned proposals. 

For a UFA??? Who's a 5th D at best???

Any trade we make has to be well calculated, without over-paying. 

We're still not desperate. 

Edited by Barn Burner
  • Like 3
  • ThereItIs 1

28 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

@Jester13

I've always said I respect his work ethic & dedication, and I do agree with him sometimes (I'd even like to agree more), but I think he's too self serving & its often not enjoyable to listen too.

He was on his high horse alot last year, now this year the team is proving alot of what he's said to be wrong yet until recently he was still clinging to anything he could (the whole points percentage thing he was on for example, as if only being 3rd in the league instead of 1st is an own), getting unsustainably lucky apparently, not willing to admit he was wrong about the rebuild, and whatever else.

He has come around recently, but when your whole thing was being 'the guy who told you so' about; Miller, Hronek, Mikheyev, needing to rebuild, this going to take longer than Rutherford thinks, the core just not being good enough, trading picks for Lafferty/DeSmith, exc. And 'told you so' in such a spirited & definitive way, then being the takes guy comes back around. 

Maybe someone finally showed Drance that all his graphs were set up as bell curves rather than just plain old facts.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Arguably our biggest weakness right now is not having a single right-handed centre, and our faceoff percentage struggles. Elias Lindholm is right handed and second in the league for FO% with a cap hit of 4.85 this year. Kuzy++ might get it done for Calgary. Abby guys for the post-season won't put us over the top, but someone like EL very well could. 

Petey - Miller - Brock

Hogs - Lindholm - Mik

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

PDG - Suter - Laff

Sounds great and should be easily doable with Lindholm being a UFA next year. Give them Kuzy +, then if we like the way Lindholm brings us the cup, we let Petterson walk and keep Lindy and the 4 firsts. That's moneyball. Or if Lindholm doesn't work out, we can give Schieffle a shot for a year or 2 ,and still take the 4 picks for Petey next year. That's moneyball+. Whoever is silly enough to give up 4 1sts and 11+ million for Petey will be finishing in the bottom half of the league, so that's the cherry on top.

Don't get me wrong, I love Petey but only for the the price we are paying, namely less than JT and Quinn. There is no reason he should be paid more than those two.

Edited by Malibu
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Care to offer your thoughts on Dhaliwal's comments on Miller and Drance being good friends and it was simply Miller ripping him, or do you want to stick by your interpretation?

Where’d you hear this? Is that what you told Dhal?

• Haha 2

Happy Cracking Up GIF by MOODMAN

14 minutes ago, Malibu said:

Sounds great and should be easily doable with Lindholm being a UFA next year. Give them Kuzy +, then if we like the way Lindholm brings us the cup, we let Petterson walk and keep Lindy and the 4 firsts. That's moneyball. Or if Lindholm doesn't work out, we can give Schieffle a shot for a year or 2 ,and still take the 4 picks for Petey next year. That's moneyball+. Whoever is silly enough to give up 4 1sts and 11+ million for Petey will be finishing in the bottom half of the league, so that's a cherry on top.

Don't get me wrong, I love Petey but only for the the price we are paying, namely less than JT and Quinn. There is no reason he should be paid more than those two.

Whatever you smoking my friend,i dont want it

Edited by Lemon Face
  • Cheers 3

17 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

Happy Cracking Up GIF by MOODMAN

Whatever you smoking my friend,i dont want it

You would rather have Petey over Schieffle and 4 ist round picks. If Petey ends up a top 3 scorer, I might change my mind. You think he's a better player than JT and Quinn, I do not.

Edited by Malibu

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

That pick is looking to be 27+. The pick could be its most valuable as a trade asset at the deadline. I think I'd use it as a chip.

Lots of good players in the late 1st and 2nd round. Pastrnak was 25th overall.

Anyways, I would move the 1st, Kuzmenko, + for Lindholm. Only if he signs with the team. In the end, I’m open to trading the pick. Just don’t want to trade the 1st for a guy who’s only going to be on the team for half a season and the playoffs.

2nd line - Mikheyev - Lindholm - Perry. That’s a good line for playoff hockey?

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, Malibu said:

You would rather have Petey over Schieffle and 4 ist round picks. If Petey ends up a top 3 scorer, I might change my mind. You think he's a better player than JT and Quinn, I do not.

I think Quinn is the best of the bunch and JT and Petey are pretty close but Petey has a higher ceiling for sure.

Problem is QH43 is on a steal cap hit and so is JT. Make no mistake Quinn is getting paid when his contract is up and so is Petey. 

Miller didn't become a PPG player until 2019-2020 age 26.... EP40 has more or less done it since his arrival in the league when he won the Calder. 

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Can't say I disagree, however I doubt it's possible. Never know though, Alvin's pretty good.

Boone Jenner

6'2  210  High Character player  3,500,000 Hit

Center/ Wing 

Just have to make an offer they can't refuse.