PGT - Canucks at Islanders - 01/09/24

PhillipBlunt

12 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

If the whole points % thing was 'merely' how many games other teams had in hand, he could've said that like most people do & have always done, rather than taking any mention of the Canucks place in the standings as a personal afront & going on a 2 week rant about "which team gets waiver priority" and all this other stuff. It just comes across as grasping. (And was worthless given one of those teams was LA, who's lost 6 straight)

I don't think hes one that seemlessly 'updates' his opinion/wrongs. This was not even a month ago. (19:55)

Reveal hidden contents

And there's no misrepresentation for me, just listen to this; 

Hide contents

"The overwhelming arrogance of this organization to assume that a new coach simply can change the stripes of (this) group...

I honestly am aghast at the idea that the organization...has committed once again to a group of players who continue to show us who they are. It is just one of the more preposterously arrogant pieces of team building I've ever seen in the NHL."

There's no subtlety there, and hey fine that's his brand. But this type of stuff can also be why people think Drance is a 'know it all' type. (Keep in mind this is a 3x cup winning HHOF GM he's talking about being 'overwhelmingly arrogant' here). I do respect the fact he goes hard & has takes, but you go hard at people with your takes (including fans) then that comes back around. Keep in mind he had alot of people with him last year when he was carving the team like this, and the people who didn't agree with the rebuild were the stupid ones... until this season where they've been proven right. 

I do agree completely on the vitriol, particularly the personal attacks are gross. This is hockey, he has passionate takes & he goes hard, others can have passionate counter takes, each side can dunk & respond or whatever, but the personal attacks shouldn't be part of it.

Like I said I do respect Drancer, but I understand why some people don't enjoy his brand (which is ultimately what he's selling) & I think he's brought some of it on himself. 

Unfortunately, the link to that Drance piece didn't play unless going back to the actual podacst. But I was, of course, interested to hear it in full, and after listening to it, it's certainly a hard take, but it also came at a time after the season we had with the Boudreau debacle, and I found the first sentence before he ripped the organization interesting. Here's the segment in full:

"Remember what I said after the Toronto win: if this team can compete like this 50 games a year, I’d be changing my tune about them. Have we seen it since? You know, like, the overwhelming arrogance of this organization to assume that a new coach can change the stripes of a group that we’ve seen perform in the same way under three different bench bosses now, for three years, like, it’s hard to fathom. Honestly, like, it’s truly a level of arrogance that makes Mike Gillis look like Scott Rintoul. Like, truly, I honestly am aghast at the idea that this organization has conducted themselves in this manner, has committed once again to a group of players who continue to show us who they are, like, it is just one of the most preposterously arrogant pieces of team building that I’ve ever seen in the NHL, and when you compound it with the fact that this team has been behaving in a way unlike every other team around them at the deadline, buying the way they did, using cap space and committing cap space the way they have, like, this organization thinks it’s the smartest organization in the room. They say all the time “we’re not the smartest guys in the room”, well, why do you carry yourselves like you are?! Like, you’re sure you are. I mean, honestly, I really struggle with it. I can’t bring myself to a place when I’m, like, and this will work out, and I have trust in this direction, so long as all of these different strings are being pulled in a way that just don’t add up or make a lick of common sense."

It's easy to look past certain tid bits like the first sentence, or to understand where he was coming from, when someone is predisposed to not liking him. But context always matters, and it's context that so many fans fail to include, which is why he gets misrepresented so often. Yesterday's episode he even mentions how he will add something he was wrong about to the long list of things he's been wrong about, yet so many people act and throw insults around like he's Sekeres-level, who literally makes shit up about our team and players and spreads the rumour around for clicks. Anyhoogan... game day!

7 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Unfortunately, the link to that Drance piece didn't play unless going back to the actual podacst. But I was, of course, interested to hear it in full, and after listening to it, it's certainly a hard take, but it also came at a time after the season we had with the Boudreau debacle, and I found the first sentence before he ripped the organization interesting. Here's the segment in full:

"Remember what I said after the Toronto win: if this team can compete like this 50 games a year, I’d be changing my tune about them. Have we seen it since? You know, like, the overwhelming arrogance of this organization to assume that a new coach can change the stripes of a group that we’ve seen perform in the same way under three different bench bosses now, for three years, like, it’s hard to fathom. Honestly, like, it’s truly a level of arrogance that makes Mike Gillis look like Scott Rintoul. Like, truly, I honestly am aghast at the idea that this organization has conducted themselves in this manner, has committed once again to a group of players who continue to show us who they are, like, it is just one of the most preposterously arrogant pieces of team building that I’ve ever seen in the NHL, and when you compound it with the fact that this team has been behaving in a way unlike every other team around them at the deadline, buying the way they did, using cap space and committing cap space the way they have, like, this organization thinks it’s the smartest organization in the room. They say all the time “we’re not the smartest guys in the room”, well, why do you carry yourselves like you are?! Like, you’re sure you are. I mean, honestly, I really struggle with it. I can’t bring myself to a place when I’m, like, and this will work out, and I have trust in this direction, so long as all of these different strings are being pulled in a way that just don’t add up or make a lick of common sense."

It's easy to look past certain tid bits like the first sentence, or to understand where he was coming from, when someone is predisposed to not liking him. But context always matters, and it's context that so many fans fail to include, which is why he gets misrepresented so often. Yesterday's episode he even mentions how he will add something he was wrong about to the long list of things he's been wrong about, yet so many people act and throw insults around like he's Sekeres-level, who literally makes shit up about our team and players and spreads the rumour around for clicks. Anyhoogan... game day!

Given the timing everything he said there is fair and really describes Benning as much as the current group.  

It was arrogant to think that they could turn the group around as quickly as they have.  This is like when the goalie gets hot and carries a team to the cup, it happens but rarely.  We have run into an incredible managerial hot streak.  Two big trades, one OEL buyout and some trades of some spare parts has given us room to completely rebuild our D and bottom six as well as got a quality backup.

This season they have hit on pretty much everything they have done and have had a remarkable run of health.

This was not a smart bet that they would be able to do what they have but they have so far.  It is only half way through the season.  We have been almost this good for half a season the last couple years, just the back half.  

We have done nothing yet.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Given the timing everything he said there is fair and really describes Benning as much as the current group.  

It was arrogant to think that they could turn the group around as quickly as they have.  This is like when the goalie gets hot and carries a team to the cup, it happens but rarely.  We have run into an incredible managerial hot streak.  Two big trades, one OEL buyout and some trades of some spare parts has given us room to completely rebuild our D and bottom six as well as got a quality backup.

This season they have hit on pretty much everything they have done and have had a remarkable run of health.

This was not a smart bet that they would be able to do what they have but they have so far.  It is only half way through the season.  We have been almost this good for half a season the last couple years, just the back half.  

We have done nothing yet.

It turns out that management really are the smartest in the room, ha! It truly is amazing what they've been able to accomplish so far. It wouldn't surprise me if even JR and Allvin and his team are surprised at how well we've done this year, but I hope Allvin and Tocc win awards for what they've done, along with at least one of our players. The transformation of this group, though, that Tocc & Co have been able to do is outstanding. Of course, there will be some Canucks fans who claim "I knew it all along", which is funny in it's own right as it relates to this discussion about Drance. I digress.

It seems like we're hitting another gear with this group. Hopefully they can continue it tonight against another tough opponent who has been playing well lately. 

Edited by Jester13
  • Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Johnny said:

The problem with shorter term is they dont take advantage of the diminishing cap percentage and allows the player to keep his pay as high as possible. See Matthews and the leafs

We want to sign Petey for 8 years

I do too but not at 11.5+ likely 12+. With the OEL hit coming year after next at 4. Whatever....

We're already counting on guys like Willander, Lek and D Petey to step up on cheap ELCs.. 

It's unfortunate but cap going up or not if Petey is a 5 yr deal IMHAO it gives us flexibility to ice a better supporting cast for the prime yrs of 43,40 and last of for #9

Just my 2 cents..

On 1/10/2024 at 1:48 PM, HKSR said:

It's actually not too difficult to find.  It's all here:

2010-11:  https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/2011_games.html

2023-24:  https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/2024_games.html

2010-11:  At the 41 game mark, the Canucks were 27-8-6 so 60 points in 41 games.  Goals For: 141, Goals Against: 99 -- Goal Differential:  42

2023-24:  At the 41 game mark, the Canucks are 27-11-3 so 57 points in 41 games.  Goals For:  160, Goals Against: 107 -- Goal Differential:  53

Pretty darn close.  A difference of 3 OT losses, but a better goal differential.

Ohh, that’s a cool site. Thanks for digging this up for me

• Cheers 1