PGT - Canucks at Islanders - 01/09/24

PhillipBlunt

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I do feel bad for Horvat. I mean he’s likely wondering how come they couldn’t do it when he was there. Weird how sports works sometimes. Without moving him we wouldn’t have had Hronek so I guess it needed to happen I just feel for the guy knowing he tried his best here.

<Whispers> Maybe he and his clubhouse was part of the problem?

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 2

2 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Swap Kuzmenko plus some pieces for a Kesler 2.0 and I would lay a rather large bet on the Canucks going all the way this year ... yes, looking good, hope for an upgrade to the team that gets us closer to a truly elite team.

Feels like a piece is missing for sure. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Blue said:

2011 Canucks and 2024 Canucks are about equal. But very different teams. 

Yeah they're actually not as far off as we think.  This current team is tops in Goals For and top 5 in Goals Against while battling it out for 1st OA in the league.  

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And the level when the playoffs start and the physicality ramps up and the beasts of the blueline get nasty. 

Only thing I worry about is they're Canucks... refs don't like us in the playoffs.  Half our blueline will get suspended lol

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I do feel bad for Horvat. I mean he’s likely wondering how come they couldn’t do it when he was there. Weird how sports works sometimes. Without moving him we wouldn’t have had Hronek so I guess it needed to happen I just feel for the guy knowing he tried his best here.

It no secret why we sucked, Green was our “coach” and I use that term loosely.

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I guess the discussion is about 2010-11 team vs 2023-24 team at this point in the season.

Post Season, 2010/11 are better because they got to the final game of the Finals. 

2023/24 team is a far cry from that, at this point. 

We’ll see. 

I meant the prior year losses to chicago being the heart break the 2010/11 needed.

This team has no experience

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Canucks definitely did not look like a team who played last night. I guess they were just getting warmed up last night against the Rangers

I think that was their normal daily practice.  Their last practice was on Friday.  Honestly, with the way Lotto line is playing, they are playing them like a fiddle. They can go a long way.  Going to be difficult to contain them when they do have the puck with Hughes and they always find someone that is open and threatening to score.  That is how dominant they are in the game today.  Teams are not ready for them.  Once they do are ready, they could easily break up the line and the opponent will not  be able choose their defensive match-up and has to pick just one on the fly, no time to study the film and prepare.  That is the beauty of the on-the-fly adjustments that Tocchet could deploy at his disposal 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

I meant the prior year losses to chicago being the heart break the 2010/11 needed.

This team has no experience

The playoffs are a whole new animal but irregardless what happens, it’ll be fun.

• Like 2

Happy with the result tonight + how things are going on this trip so far.  I thought they needed some secondary scoring and was glad to see Garland, Mikheyiv and Joshua all chip in.a bit as suspected that teams would really key in on the Lotto line.

I am still a bit concerned about Kuz though as he has not the same impact as last year so far - I missed most of the game tonight but how was Kuz' overall game? - did he drive the offence on his line or go to the net (at least he was at 0 +/-)     Hopefully he continues to the do the right things and improve moving forward as we will eventually need all hands on deck.

Glad to see this team moving in the right direction + hopefully towards a solid playoff qualification.  As RT previously said, haven't won anything but nice to continue improving towards that elusive playoff spot - focus game at a time for the second half of the season.  In terms of All Star game voting, they will have some representation but hopefully other teams will get multiple representations - don't think some of the Canucks would mine for quiet down time during the break.

Hope the guys get a much deserved rest tonight and then prepare for an improved Penguins team on Thursday (7-2-1 in last 10)

Just Win.jpg