[Proposal] Corey Perry - Would you?

I’m going to say no, unless it’s league minimum.

All social implications aside, it’s okay in theory. Just a bit older and slower than what we’ve already been using in the bottom of the lineup to great success.

Probably an inconsequential move either way.

• Cheers 1

I find it a bit amusing (or not) that fans here are being awfully lenient on Perry, just because he's good at hockey.  "He's young!" "He got help and he's fine now!" "He's cleared and good to go!"

He's old AF, one of the oldest guys left in the league (pushing 40 soon).  I've seen rehab for substance abuse - 6 weeks is a good start, but it's a start.  And he got cleared by GARY BETTMAN, a true hero of sports.

I don't know.  I thought he was done.  Now that there is a possibility of him returning and even signing here, I have some major character concerns and 6 weeks isn't enough to suddenly change my mind about him.  

2 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Talk to the leadership group for their take. If there’s a consensus that there’s a place for CP on the team, then it would be worth kicking the tires.

Perry would be a good add as he’s a proven winner, who can drag the team back into the fight when times get tough in the playoffs.

Ian Cole played with Perry last year in Tampa.  He would be the perfect guy to ask about Perry...

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rocket-68 said:

Yes, there are contract(s) that could be sent down to make room (i.e., Karlsson). However, I am pretty sure there are reasonably intelligent people on PA / JR 's staff that would attend to those things. From my reading of NHL Cap Friendly Karlsson down (waivers exempt) and a pro-rated contract would do the trick. 

However, I am sure someone will be along shortly to check my math and shit all over it if I am a wooden nickel out to lunch - what I love about this forum, everyone is an expert but none are on the Canucks payroll .... well with the possible of exception of @Vintage Canuck

The contract would be for half a season so it shouldn't be more than $800k.  If we send Karlsson down then it would work.  PDG is on LTIR...

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I find it a bit amusing (or not) that fans here are being awfully lenient on Perry, just because he's good at hockey.  "He's young!" "He got help and he's fine now!" "He's cleared and good to go!"

He's old AF, one of the oldest guys left in the league (pushing 40 soon).  I've seen rehab for substance abuse - 6 weeks is a good start, but it's a start.  And he got cleared by GARY BETTMAN, a true hero of sports.

I don't know.  I thought he was done.  Now that there is a possibility of him returning and even signing here, I have some major character concerns and 6 weeks isn't enough to suddenly change my mind about him.  

.5 per game pace this season would suggest he's not done. Perry has met with Bettman and been cleared to play and Mr Bettman does not make these decisions lightly. As far as exactly what happened, lots of speculation, reports of substance abuse, but no one knows for sure. Not knowing for sure, to suggest a definitive rehab timeline is absurd. Even if it's known exactly what happened, severity and individual relsults dictate timelines. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Rekker said:

.5 per game pace this season would suggest he's not done. Perry has met with Bettman and been cleared to play and Mr Bettman does not make these decisions lightly. As far as exactly what happened, lots of speculation, reports of substance abuse, but no one knows for sure. Not knowing for sure, to suggest a definitive rehab timeline is absurd. Even if it's known exactly what happened, severity and individual relsults dictate timelines. 

Don't play semantics.  You know exactly what I meant when I said I thought he was done.  This has nothing to do with his hockey ability.  That's the only reason fans are willing to overlook all his red flags.  I'm going to take this a step further - I'm worried fans here would be willing to take on guys like Brendan Leipsic or Reid Boucher if they had the same skillset as a veteran like Corey Perry.

If the incident was enough for him to get his contract terminated without protest and for him to make a public apology, it must've been fairly severe.  Obviously not severe enough to have him banned, I guess.  I just don't want Vancouver to be part of his redemption campaign.  It's not worth it for me.

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Don't play semantics.  You know exactly what I meant when I said I thought he was done.  This has nothing to do with his hockey ability.  That's the only reason fans are willing to overlook all his red flags.  I'm going to take this a step further - I'm worried fans here would be willing to take on guys like Brendan Leipsic or Reid Boucher if they had the same skillset as a veteran like Corey Perry.

If the incident was enough for him to get his contract terminated without protest and for him to make a public apology, it must've been fairly severe.  Obviously not severe enough to have him banned, I guess.  I just don't want Vancouver to be part of his redemption campaign.  It's not worth it for me.

But you're okay with DeSmith being on the team?

• Upvote 1

Whatever gives this team its best chance of winning.

Perry brings a ton of valuable experience with him. He’s a proven winner. He would provide another presence which we can never have enough of - grit and edge. Place him in front of the net where he thrives and it’s one less of our star players being abused through the playoffs in that role.

hes still great at providing greasy, playoff inspired hockey.

We have cap space available. 
I’d sign him, Kessel and trade for another Dman prior to deadline and ensure we have a full compliment of playoff hardened depth throughout the roster. Low cost for what could be underestimated value, imho. 

there is always the chance that any new player’s presence can impact the room in negative ways. In this case, I think if Perry dons the jersey, he’ll play for that jersey. That’s good enough for me. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

DeSmith, Cole, Tocchet, who knows who else has a skeleton in the closet, yet are on the team. Are they worth it? You don't even know what Perry exactly did, Bettman has deemed it minor enough to play. Yet you have a timeline for his recovery and have compared his wrongdoings to that of Leipsic and Boucher who's wrongdoings required police investigation, if I remember correctly. A lot of speculation on your part. You even speculate as to what I'm thinking. Which your wrong about by the way. Read your original post, easy to assume what I assumed you meant. 

Edited by Rekker
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

But you're okay with DeSmith being on the team?

43 minutes ago, Rekker said:

DeSmith, Cole, Tocchet, who knows who else has a skeleton in the closet, yet are on the team. Are they worth it? You don't even know what Perry exactly did, Bettman has deemed it minor enough to play. Yet you have a timeline for his recovery and have compared his wrongdoings to that of Leipsic and Boucher who's wrongdoings required police investigation, if I remember correctly. A lot of speculation on your part. You even speculate as to what I'm thinking. Which your wrong about by the way. Read your original post, easy to assume what I assumed you meant. 

Firstly, Ian Cole's accuser never came forward.  The league did their due diligence but the accuser never came forward.  Am I okay with DeSmith's history?  Not entirely, but the important thing with these things is that time passed and he paid the consequences for it.  DeSmith got busted at the beginning of his hockey career and got banned from playing hockey for a full year.  Rick Tocchet spent two years away from hockey (a suspension which Bettman was directly involved in).  Both opted for plea deals and did their time. 

One year.  Two years.  Six fucking weeks.  Unprofessional behaviour (including substance abuse) leading to termination of a man at the very end of his hockey career.  This is an extremely and uncommonly quick turnaround and you know it.

Perry's hockey ability is apparent.  His character concerns, less so.  I've never questioned his on-ice potential.  Need I remind you who always posts those JFresh cards on this forum?  Go back to this summer on CDC where I made multiple proposals to sign Perry in free agency.

https://forum.canucks.com/topic/408226-proposal-fill-the-roster-with-old-mercenaries/

Edited by Miss Korea

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

Firstly, Ian Cole's accuser never came forward.  The league did their due diligence but the accuser never came forward.  Am I okay with DeSmith's history?  Not entirely, but the important thing with these things is that time passed and he paid the consequences for it.  DeSmith got busted at the beginning of his hockey career and got banned from playing hockey for a full year.  Rick Tocchet spent two years away from hockey (a suspension which Bettman was directly involved in).  Both opted for plea deals and did their time. 

One year.  Two years.  Six fucking weeks.  Unprofessional behaviour leading to termination of a man at the very end of his hockey career.  This is an extremely and uncommonly quick turnaround and you know it.

Perry's hockey ability is apparent.  His character concerns, less so.  I've never questioned his on-ice potential.  Need I remind you who always posts those JFresh cards on this forum?  Go back to this summer on CDC where I made multiple proposals to sign Perry in free agency.

https://forum.canucks.com/topic/408226-proposal-fill-the-roster-with-old-mercenaries/

Do you know exactly what Perry did? No. Bettman has cleared him to play, which by Bettman's standards, means a lot. You are making assumptions on a situation you know none of the actual real facts. 

image.thumb.png.4f49380ee8f3fc5cee4dd907d87ec1b7.png

Enough? Not enough? I would say yes whether he signs here, somewhere else or never plays in the NHL again. 

But then that is just me, one who has a soft spot for reclamation projects of all types, in general  .... 

8 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Do you know exactly what Perry did? No. Bettman has cleared him to play, which by Bettman's standards, means a lot. You are making assumptions on a situation you know none of the actual real facts. 

You are correct.  I do not know what Corey Perry did.  That is because the Blackhawks and the NHL have done a very good job of covering it up.  The only facts we know are that he got very drunk and did something egregious enough for him to get fired, and for him not to contest it.

The lack of information doesn't seem to trouble anyone else here.  That's my main point.  It is also ironic for fans to suddenly put stock in what Gary Bettman says or thinks is right.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

You are correct.  I do not know what Corey Perry did.  That is because the Blackhawks and the NHL have done a very good job of covering it up.  The only facts we know are that he got very drunk and did something egregious enough for him to get fired, and for him not to contest it.

The lack of information doesn't seem to trouble anyone else here.  That's my main point.  It is also ironic for fans to suddenly put stock in what Gary Bettman says or thinks is right.

Firstly, I wouldn't trust Gary Bettman to recommend a brand of toilet paper. Secondly , there are two things I would bet mortgage money on (1) GB making decisions that screw the Canucks (no evidence, just a general inkling) and (2) GB not doing anything that would hurt the NHL brand, piss of the GM's / owners, fuck with his paycheck, etc. .... for him to allow Corey Perry to play, who by the way could have signed with anyone the instant his contract with the Blackhawks was officially terminated but no team would have done so without Bettman's blessing, is a statement in and of itself. We are talking about a player at the end of his career and not Sidney Crosby or Connor Bedard at the beginning of theirs, in other words, there is zero benefit for Bettman to had done anything other than taken the easy way out and said "fuck off Corey". Instead, he cleared Perry to play ... for reasons we may never know. 

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I just can’t get behind the assumptions you make and the quasi psycho-analytical nonsense you foist on other members here from time to time.

I’m all for interesting discussion and debate, but at the end of the day, this was cleared just the same as Tocc, DeSmith, and anyone else with transgressions who has shown the required changes. You are holding on to arbitrary suspensions/time-outs associated with wrongdoings like they prove something when you know nothing.

Are you suggesting Perry somehow got special treatment - because if not then the time he has taken away has been deemed sufficient and obviously his wrongdoing was not to the level of others we have seen recently. 

All that said - I don’t see Perry being a fit on the team as it is currently structured and I’d rather not pursue him. I’m sure he would bring some positive value, but I’m content with what we have and if I were for any changes, he wouldn’t be the ticket for me.

Edited by GrammaInTheTub
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

You don't know if the Hawks covered anything up!? Do you know what was discussed between Perry, the Hawks and Bettman? Bettman is a tool, but after the Beach incident you can bet your boots he isn't taking anything lightly. You have done nothing but reach at assumptions, guess at what has gone on. Bettman, the Hawks, Perry know the facts. You don't. Quit assuming you do.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Tusk said:

after reading all (at least most) of this I am like YES. Take him. if you all wanna keep petey on the wing then Kuz and Mik need someone who can make plays. Take him at the league low cost

Yip. This team is ready to compete and push playoffs. A Stanley Cup winner who creates havoc in front of the net, has bite and size and snarl, is free to aquire, can't hurt. 

Edited by Rekker
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Rekker said:

Yip. This team is ready to compete and push playoffs. A Stanley Cup winner who creates havoc in front of the net, has bite and size can't hurt. 

The thing is, Im sure he is better than any other sub million player we could pick up and not lose anyone. Make it a 2 way and if he fucks around we send him to ABBY.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Underrated and solid word.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Firstly, I wouldn't trust Gary Bettman to recommend a brand of toilet paper. Secondly , there are two things I would bet mortgage money on (1) making decisions that screw the Canucks (no evidence, just a general inkling) and (2) not doing anything that would hurt the NHL brand, piss of the GM's, fuck with his paycheck, etc. .... for him to allow Corey Perry to play, who by the way could have signed with anyone the instant his contract with the Blackhawks was officially terminated but no team would have done so without Bettman's blessing, is a statement in and of itself. We are talking about a player at the end of his career and not Sidney Crosby or Connor Bedard at the beginning of theirs, in other words, there is zero benefit for Bettman to had done anything other than taken the easy way out and said "fuck off Corey". Instread, he cleared Perry to play ... for reasons we may never know. 

4 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I just can’t get behind the assumptions you make and the quasi psycho-analytical nonsense you foist on other members here from time to time.

I’m all for interesting discussion and debate, but at the end of the day, this was cleared just the same as Tocc, DeSmith, and anyone else with transgressions who has shown the required changes. You are holding on to arbitrary suspensions/time-outs associated with wrongdoings like they prove something when you know nothing.

Are you suggesting Perry somehow got special treatment - because if not then the time he has taken away has been deemed sufficient and obviously his wrongdoing was not to the level of others we have seen recently. 

All that said - I don’t see Perry being a fit on the team as it is currently structured and I’d rather not pursue him. I’m sure he would bring some positive value, but I’m content with what we have and if I were for any changes, he wouldn’t be the ticket for me.

The primary difference between Tocchet/DeSmith and Corey Perry isn't just the time disparity (which is significant in and of itself).  It's that those two guys got criminally charged.  They went to trial and the whole thing played out in public.  You can't cover these things up once it ends up in court.  Now, this can be seen as a good thing for Perry since there have been no criminal charges laid.  Best case scenario is that he got piss drunk and just trashed the place without putting his hands on anyone.  But you and I both know the Chicago Blackhawks have a history of covering things up.  The vagueness of the statements was not a good look.  This quick turnaround isn't a good look either.

Just now, Rekker said:

You don't know if the Hawks covered anything up!? Do you know what was discussed between Perry, the Hawks and Bettman? Bettman is a tool, but after the Beach incident you can bet your boots he isn't taking anything lightly. You have done nothing but reach at assumptions, guess at what has gone on. Bettman, the Hawks, Perry know the facts. You don't. Quit assuming you do.

For the millionth fucking time, I already said I don't know the facts.  Barely anyone knows the facts.  It got completely swept under the rug.  No leaks, no nothing.  Since they haven't gone public with the incident, we have no choice but to speculate what happened.

I indeed hinted at the Kyle Beach situation - are you suggesting that Bettman's punishment of the Blackhawks was... sufficient?  The whole thing played out like a nightmare.  Toews publicly defending the coaches after the fact.  Rocky Wirtz berating reporters after the fact.  Most of the personnel (except Bowman/Quenneville) denying knowledge and avoiding punishment.  The only adjective I can think of describing how Bettman handled the scandal is indeed "lightly".

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

The primary difference between Tocchet/DeSmith and Corey Perry isn't just the time disparity (which is significant in and of itself).  It's that those two guys got criminally charged.  They went to trial and the whole thing played out in public.  You can't cover these things up once it ends up in court.  Now, this can be seen as a good thing for Perry since there have been no criminal charges laid.  Best case scenario is that he got piss drunk and just trashed the place without putting his hands on anyone.  But you and I both know the Chicago Blackhawks have a history of covering things up.  The vagueness of the statements was not a good look.  This quick turnaround isn't a good look either.

For the millionth fucking time, I already said I don't know the facts.  Barely anyone knows the facts.  It got completely swept under the rug.  No leaks, no nothing.  Since they haven't gone public with the incident, we have no choice but to speculate what happened.

I indeed hinted at the Kyle Beach situation - are you suggesting that Bettman's punishment of the Blackhawks was... sufficient?  The whole thing played out like a nightmare.  Toews publicly defending the coaches after the fact.  Rocky Wirtz berating reporters after the fact.  Most of the personnel (except Bowman/Quenneville) denying knowledge and avoiding punishment.  The only adjective I can think of describing how Bettman handled the scandal is indeed "lightly".

I got fired back in the "me too" days for drunk emailing a co-worker. Sometimes the extreme corrections society makes are not right, or fair, or just.

Maybe. Trade for Lindholm and maybe this can be our 2nd line.

Boeser - Miller - Pettersson 

Mikheyev - Lindholm - Perry

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Hoglander - Suter - Lafferty

Aman