[Proposal] Corey Perry - Would you?

2 minutes ago, Odjickwillkillyou said:

Living here in Dallas (ish) and playing on a team with many STHs, I can say they along with local sports radio pundits (those who care lol) would LOVE to have him back. The fact that he has been re-instated tells me that maybe this issue was not as big as perceived and might have been CHI's way of protecting themselves in light of "Beach Gate" to avoid further scrutiny. As one who has been drunk and made a fool of myself at parties and even team-related events in the past, I would not be surprised if he showed his ass in Nashville after one too many Mules. Happens to the best of us, but we have to learn and hope to not repeat it (I am sober now thank Hockey Jesus).

IMHAO Perry needed to do a lot more than just get drunk and embarrass himself at a team function to have his contract unilaterally terminated, without his challenging it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

IMHAO Perry needed to do a lot more than just get drunk and embarrass himself at a team function to have his contract unilaterally terminated, without his challenging it. 

I get that, but what if it was a situation where they "amicably" decided to part ways without fully disclosing what happened while giving him some time off with the chance to get picked up later in the season? IDK man, I just think that the league would be a little more staunch on their stance besides just allowing the team to deal with it in-house. Then again, we are also talking about the same league who punish betting more than domestic abuse or "accusatory sexual assault" so I take back my statement 😂

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Well by the looks of it, it wasn't illegal, no charges. I see that Perry received a 2 million dollar signing bonus so he has most of his money for a quarter season played. For a guy that has been on minimum contracts for last few seasons, he's actually done well. It appears to me like it's almost a mutual parting of the ways, forced by Chicago for an unfortunate incident. If all he did was get drunk and hit on a coworker, it's forgivable. Douchy, but forgivable. 

56 minutes ago, Odjickwillkillyou said:

I get that, but what if it was a situation where they "amicably" decided to part ways without fully disclosing what happened while giving him some time off with the chance to get picked up later in the season? IDK man, I just think that the league would be a little more staunch on their stance besides just allowing the team to deal with it in-house. Then again, we are also talking about the same league who punish betting more than domestic abuse or "accusatory sexual assault" so I take back my statement 😂

The league (PA) has a program for guys to get well while still keeping their contracts. Perry did something far beyond just drunken foolishness at a team function. 

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The league (PA) has a program for guys to get well while still keeping their contracts. Perry did something far beyond just drunken foolishness at a team function. 

But not so bad that it was illegal, or so bad that Bettman couldn't clear him to play. Bettman is a tool, but under the Woke microscope. If it was as bad as you think, he wouldn't be allowed to play. 

Edited by Rekker
  • Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

At the end if the day we don't know what went down, but it likely wasn't illegal and it wasn't egregious enough that he wasn't allowed back 

If you're actually confident in this management group you'd be confident enough in their ability to vet him properly 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

At the end if the day we don't know what went down, but it likely wasn't illegal and it wasn't egregious enough that he wasn't allowed back 

If you're actually confident in this management group you'd be confident enough in their ability to vet him properly 

It's even a fun word to say.

seinfeld jackie GIF

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

32 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Well by the looks of it, it wasn't illegal, no charges. I see that Perry received a 2 million dollar signing bonus so he has most of his money for a quarter season played. For a guy that has been on minimum contracts for last few seasons, he's actually done well. It appears to me like it's almost a mutual parting of the ways, forced by Chicago for an unfortunate incident. If all he did was get drunk and hit on a coworker, it's forgivable. Douchy, but forgivable. 

12 minutes ago, Rekker said:

But not so bad that it was illegal, or so bad that Bettman couldn't clear him to play. Bettman is a tool, but under the Woke microscope. If it was as bad as you think, he wouldn't be allowed to play. 

Heh.  Bettman under the woke microscope.  Get outta here with that nonsense.  If he cared about that he wouldn't have bent over backwards during the Pride jersey fiasco.

Beyond that, the "If it's good enough for Bettman it should be good enough for you" is an argument i never thought a Canucks fan (or any hockey fan for that matter) would ever endorse.

I'm wondering why you think it's okay to start speculating now when you seemed so opposed to it last night.  Maybe you realized that this is on Chicago/Perry for keeping things deliberately vague (his agent denied any wrongdoing), and there's nothing we can do but speculate.  We were told he got fired and they've refused to say why.  Because of that, it's a guessing game now.  Contract terminations are extremely rare in this league.  Perry has talked about alcoholism and needing to take time to better himself.  

For the record, drunk flirting on a coworker is very inappropriate.  I still can't believe you're trying to condone that.  This isn't your boy's club.  The NHL is a professional workplace that is trying to introduce diversity and more women into its sphere, and Chicago is desperately trying to move on from a truly disgusting sex scandal.  A 38-year old veteran should know better.  He's not a kid.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Just listening to NHL Network. Perry wasn't reinstated as he was never ousted from the NHL to begin with. According to reports the meeting with Bettman was at Perry's request, to clear the air. These are facts as I am to understand as released by NHL Network. Unlike some posters and their assumptions, assumptions that included needing a six week plus rehabilitation program for Perry without knowing any facts. Facts people. Snowflake society is ridiculous with it's assumptions and need to condemn people without finding out facts first.

39 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Heh.  Bettman under the woke microscope.  Get outta here with that nonsense.  If he cared about that he wouldn't have bent over backwards during the Pride jersey fiasco.

Beyond that, the "If it's good enough for Bettman it should be good enough for you" is an argument i never thought a Canucks fan (or any hockey fan for that matter) would ever endorse.

I'm wondering why you think it's okay to start speculating now when you seemed so opposed to it last night.  Maybe you realized that this is on Chicago/Perry for keeping things deliberately vague (his agent denied any wrongdoing), and there's nothing we can do but speculate.  We were told he got fired and they've refused to say why.  Because of that, it's a guessing game now.  Contract terminations are extremely rare in this league.  Perry has talked about alcoholism and needing to take time to better himself.  

For the record, drunk flirting on a coworker is very inappropriate.  I still can't believe you're trying to condone that.  This isn't your boy's club.  The NHL is a professional workplace that is trying to introduce diversity and more women into its sphere, and Chicago is desperately trying to move on from a truly disgusting sex scandal.  A 38-year old veteran should know better.  He's not a kid.

Not condoning anything. Forgiving is another thing. Yes, I can forgive getting drunk and hitting on a coworker. Shit happens. A player with what looks like a spotless off ice record made a mistake, it's forgivable in my books. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

He'd be great on the fourth line, would come cheap, add playoff experience and some sandpaper to a roster that could use more

Yeah, I'd give him a shot

He'd be great on any line and would give the PP a shot in the arm.  Can PK as well I think

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Just listening to NHL Network. Perry wasn't reinstated as he was never ousted from the NHL to begin with. According to reports the meeting with Bettman was at Perry's request, to clear the air. These are facts as I am to understand as released by NHL Network. Unlike some posters and their assumptions, assumptions that included needing a six week plus rehabilitation program for Perry without knowing any facts. Facts people. Snowflake society is ridiculous with it's assumptions and need to condemn people without finding out facts first.

I read the same earlier, I think someone will end up signing him, he's demonstrated the past few seasons that he can still be effective in a bottom six role 

He'll come cheap, could see contenders sniffing around, he'd fit nicely on any number of New York, Colorado, Dallas, and Vegas

Could even end up back in Tampa 

It's not as if he was playing poorly for the Hawks

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

He'd be great on any line and would give the PP a shot in the arm.  Can PK as well I think

Agreed, he's a bit of a Swiss army knife who can play up and down the roster in a number of roles

• Like 1

Sign both Perry and Kessel for league minimum. Having that sort of veteran depth, whether they get scratched or not, would do wonders for us. Cup winners and apparently some of the best teammates in the room, all without giving up any assets, this just seems like the right move compared to trading away our future for rentals. 

Although I'm here for somehow grabbing Ek outta Minny since he comes with term at a good aav. 

Still not interested.

Fact:  CHI terminated his contract.

If it was an alcohol problem, the NHL has a substance abuse program in place.  For sure, the NHLPA would have stepped in to protect Perry for wrongful termination since CHI didn’t allow Perry to receive treatment.

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

I can’t speak for others, but I will say that my trust is in the process followed by the NHL in the Perry situation in light of recent scandals. I do not have same level of trust in Bettman or the NHL to handle ALL issues the same. Just saying this was likely handled very delicately by all parties. As others have stated, Chicago may have overreacted to just avoid any and all future drama altogether. We may never know. 

Also, I don’t recall Perry ever saying he was suffering from alcoholism. He said he made a poor decision/mistake and is apologetic and would be working on himself - or words to that effect - but he did not say alcoholism. If it was alcoholism he’d be in the player assistance program - this would appear to be (in his mind at least and as his record would demonstrate) a one off bad decision.

If Perry did state alcoholism somewhere, I’d like you to show me. If not, I strongly urge you to reconsider throwing accusations of that illness around. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I can’t speak for others, but I will say that my trust is in the process followed by the NHL in the Perry situation in light of recent scandals. I do not have same level of trust in Bettman or the NHL to handle ALL issues the same. Just saying this was likely handled very delicately by all parties. As others have stated, Chicago may have overreacted to just avoid any and all future drama altogether. We may never know. 

Also, I don’t recall Perry ever saying he was suffering from alcoholism. He said he made a poor decision/mistake and is apologetic and would be working on himself - or words to that effect - but he did not say alcoholism. If it was alcoholism he’d be in the player assistance program - this would appear to be (in his mind at least and as his record would demonstrate) a one off bad decision.

If Perry did state alcoholism somewhere, I’d like you to show me. If not, I strongly urge you to reconsider throwing accusations of that illness around. 

I do think Chicago reacted in a way unique to their history.  Not sure if every team would've completely cut Perry loose for whatever he did.  "Delicately" is an interesting word to describe a cover-up.  We know so little about what happened and multiple sources have conflicting stories (ie. his agent).

There's only one statement from Perry and it directly talks about alcoholism.  “I have started working with experts in the mental health and substance abuse fields to discuss my struggles with alcohol and I will take whatever steps necessary to ensure this never happens again.”  He 100% had a drinking problem.  What he did while drunk is a complete mystery and I haven't speculated on that at all.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Still not interested.

Fact:  CHI terminated his contract.

If it was an alcohol problem, the NHL has a substance abuse program in place.  For sure, the NHLPA would have stepped in to protect Perry for wrongful termination since CHI didn’t allow Perry to receive treatment.

They can still step in.  They have until Jan. 29 to file a grievance.  My guess on why it hasn't been filed is probably because he wanted to avoid the publicity and have this go away quickly.  Perry also has 2 out of the 4 million because it was a signing bonus.  Just take the L and hope this all blows over.

Even if there was a small chance he becomes a distraction why would this management group ever risk it? I would question where his heads at if he can’t act like a professional at 38.

There are younger better players available at the deadline that won’t cost that much and fill a need better.