[Proposal] Corey Perry - Would you?

Just now, Miss Korea said:

The primary difference between Tocchet/DeSmith and Corey Perry isn't just the time disparity (which is significant in and of itself).  It's that those two guys got criminally charged.  They went to trial and the whole thing played out in public.  You can't cover these things up once it ends up in court.  Now, this can be seen as a good thing for Perry since there have been no criminal charges laid.  Best case scenario is that he got piss drunk and just trashed the place without putting his hands on anyone.  But you and I both know the Chicago Blackhawks have a history of covering things up.  The vagueness of the statements was not a good look.  This quick turnaround isn't a good look either.

For the millionth fucking time, I already said I don't know the facts.  Barely anyone knows the facts.  It got completely swept under the rug.  No leaks, no nothing.  Since they haven't gone public with the incident, we have no choice but to speculate what happened.

I indeed hinted at the Kyle Beach situation - are you suggesting that Bettman's punishment of the Blackhawks was... sufficient?  The whole thing played out like a nightmare.  Toews publicly defending the coaches after the fact.  Rocky Wirtz berating reporters after the fact.  Most of the personnel (except Bowman/Quenneville) denying knowledge and avoiding punishment.  The only adjective I can think of describing how Bettman handled the scandal is indeed "lightly".

With respect to your response to me: you and I both do know they have not been fully transparent and have buried issues in the past. 

Again, you speak of the penalties doled out as though it should be equal across the board - suggesting there is a time disparity infers (which you seem to do a lot) that Perry did something worthy of more time, when actually you have no idea what was done.

He could have gotten blackout drunk and puked on himself and called the president a fat loser in a drunken stupor. Unprofessional, absolutely. Akin to what you seek to be inferring? Probably not.

Point is we don’t know and all those in the know have cleared the issue. There are others who remain uncleared by this league don’t forget - it’s not a gimme. 

Where I believe we diverge is: given the recent scandals with CHI, I think there’s no way in heck that the NHL attempts to assist in any cover up but rather probably ensures a full and thorough investigation. 

Like I said - I just don’t agree with the assumptions you seem willing to make in the face of compelling evidence to the contrary. 

13 minutes ago, Tusk said:

I got fired back in the "me too" days for drunk emailing a co-worker. Sometimes the extreme corrections society makes are not right, or fair, or just.

Not to derail the debate and just as an aside:

Blaming the rise of people calling out sexual assault and harassment, dubbed the “me too” era by some, and also following up that you were drunk during your conduct is kind of a really shitty hot take Tusk - just saying. 

I’ve said things while intoxicated but nothing that I’d need to seek shelter from that kind of inappropriate behavior. 

But maybe this old bitch just can’t take a joke/compliment.

Edited by GrammaInTheTub
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

The primary difference between Tocchet/DeSmith and Corey Perry isn't just the time disparity (which is significant in and of itself).  It's that those two guys got criminally charged.  They went to trial and the whole thing played out in public.  You can't cover these things up once it ends up in court.  Now, this can be seen as a good thing for Perry since there have been no criminal charges laid.  Best case scenario is that he got piss drunk and just trashed the place without putting his hands on anyone.  But you and I both know the Chicago Blackhawks have a history of covering things up.  The vagueness of the statements was not a good look.  This quick turnaround isn't a good look either.

For the millionth fucking time, I already said I don't know the facts.  Barely anyone knows the facts.  It got completely swept under the rug.  No leaks, no nothing.  Since they haven't gone public with the incident, we have no choice but to speculate what happened.

I indeed hinted at the Kyle Beach situation - are you suggesting that Bettman's punishment of the Blackhawks was... sufficient?  The whole thing played out like a nightmare.  Toews publicly defending the coaches after the fact.  Rocky Wirtz berating reporters after the fact.  Most of the personnel (except Bowman/Quenneville) denying knowledge and avoiding punishment.  The only adjective I can think of describing how Bettman handled the scandal is indeed "lightly".

As you've just said, you don't know the facts. Then don't make assumptions. That's my original point. You even went so far as to have a minimum rehabilitation timeline. I'm done with this. I don't think your capable of understanding the relation between not knowing the facts, and then making assumptions based on that. It's moronic. 

3 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

With respect to your response to me: you and I both do know they have not been fully transparent and have buried issues in the past. 

Again, you speak of the penalties doled out as though it should be equal across the board - suggesting there is a time disparity infers (which you seem to do a lot) that Perry did something worthy of more time, when actually you have no idea what was done.

He could have gotten blackout drunk and puked on himself and called the president a fat loser in a drunken stupor. Unprofessional, absolutely. Akin to what you seek to be inferring? Probably not.

Point is we don’t know and all those in the know have cleared the issue. There are others who remain uncleared by this league don’t forget - it’s not a gimme. 

Where I believe we diverge is: given the recent scandals with CHI, I think there’s no way in heck that the NHL attempts to assist in any cover up but rather probably ensures a full and thorough investigation. 

Like I said - I just don’t agree with the assumptions you seem willing to make in the face of compelling evidence to the contrary. 

Keep in mind that the NHL did nothing to aid with the investigation and nothing in terms of punishing the team.  That credit goes to Rick Westhead, and Kyle Beach himself for coming forward.  We have seen first round picks forfeited by multiple teams for much less.  The only reason Canucks fans here are content with Bettman/NHL's judgment is because there's a chance he'll sign with us.  Had he instantly signed with a team like Boston or Edmonton (which is indeed possible), we would've seen a much greater variety of opinions expressed here.

Also keep in mind that I'm not the one who brought up Tocchet and DeSmith.  Both instances are entirely different cases, which is probably a good thing for Perry (hopefully he did nothing criminal).  But we don't know anything.  All we do know is that when everything went down, the cover-up was odd and led to rampant speculation.  They didn't really do much to dispel those questions until it got Bedard's mom involved.

17 minutes ago, Tusk said:

I got fired back in the "me too" days for drunk emailing a co-worker. Sometimes the extreme corrections society makes are not right, or fair, or just.

Yip. The pendulum swing on social issues, the overswing in any one direction is truly frustrating. Drives me nuts. 

2 minutes ago, Rekker said:

As you've just said, you don't know the facts. Then don't make assumptions. That's my original point. You even went so far as to have a minimum rehabilitation timeline. I'm done with this. I don't think your capable of understanding the relation between not knowing the facts, and then making assumptions based on that. It's moronic. 

Why don't you admit that you just want him on this team because he's good at hockey, and you're willing to overlook the obvious red flags surrounding him?

1 minute ago, Rekker said:

Yip. The pendulum swing on social issues, the overswing in any one direction is truly frustrating. Drives me nuts. 

This says a lot about where your values lie.  Clearly you're happy with how the NHL has handled its various scandals these last few years.  

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Why don't you admit that you just want him on this team because he's good at hockey, and you're willing to overlook the obvious red flags surrounding him?

I admit it, I want him, because in my personal experience the red flags are mostly red herrings.

My original comment. If Alvin checks into the circumstances and is fine with it, sign Perry. Also said Bettman, and the microscope he's under is fine with it, I'm fine with it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rekker said:

No one get kicked from club for nothing

5 hours ago, HKSR said:

I'd bring in Perry and Maroon for the 4th line. 

Sign Perry at $1M AAV.

Trade for Maroon... 4th round pick? 5th round pick?

Trade Kuzmenko, Raty, 1st to CGY for Lindholm

Cup winning lineup:

Miller-Petey-Boeser

Hoglander-Lindholm-Mikheyev

Garland-Blueger-Joshua

Maroon-Suter-Perry

Besides kuz missing, who is perry and maroon replacing?? Having a brain fart right now lol

8 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Keep in mind that the NHL did nothing to aid with the investigation and nothing in terms of punishing the team.  That credit goes to Rick Westhead, and Kyle Beach himself for coming forward.  We have seen first round picks forfeited by multiple teams for much less.  The only reason Canucks fans here are content with Bettman/NHL's judgment is because there's a chance he'll sign with us.  Had he instantly signed with a team like Boston or Edmonton (which is indeed possible), we would've seen a much greater variety of opinions expressed here.

Also keep in mind that I'm not the one who brought up Tocchet and DeSmith.  Both instances are entirely different cases, which is probably a good thing for Perry (hopefully he did nothing criminal).  But we don't know anything.  All we do know is that when everything went down, the cover-up was odd and led to rampant speculation.  They didn't really do much to dispel those questions until it got Bedard's mom involved.

I think Canucks fans are okay with him signing for us for the reasons I laid out and not just because he may sign with us. Sure some may be because he can sign with us, but as you’ll see from my original post I’m opposed to signing him. Again you are speaking out of your depth for others.

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

This says a lot about where your values lie.  Clearly you're happy with how the NHL has handled its various scandals these last few years.  

What the hell has past scandals got to do with this? This is a situation unto itself. Now you are assuming another posters values. Your clear on his thoughts on past scandals. You need help Miss.

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

Firstly, Ian Cole's accuser never came forward.  The league did their due diligence but the accuser never came forward.  Am I okay with DeSmith's history?  Not entirely, but the important thing with these things is that time passed and he paid the consequences for it.  DeSmith got busted at the beginning of his hockey career and got banned from playing hockey for a full year.  Rick Tocchet spent two years away from hockey (a suspension which Bettman was directly involved in).  Both opted for plea deals and did their time. 

One year.  Two years.  Six fucking weeks.  Unprofessional behaviour (including substance abuse) leading to termination of a man at the very end of his hockey career.  This is an extremely and uncommonly quick turnaround and you know it.

Perry's hockey ability is apparent.  His character concerns, less so.  I've never questioned his on-ice potential.  Need I remind you who always posts those JFresh cards on this forum?  Go back to this summer on CDC where I made multiple proposals to sign Perry in free agency.

https://forum.canucks.com/topic/408226-proposal-fill-the-roster-with-old-mercenaries/

Ya 

But will he help the Canucks succeed in the playoffs? 

Care less about the butt hurt snowflakes here.

Just win at hockey. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rekker said:

What the hell has past scandals got to do with this? This is a situation unto itself. Now you are assuming another posters values. Your clear on his thoughts on past scandals. You need help Miss.

Yes.  Your response to Tusk was purely based on your social values.  You think the pendulum swung too far.  That is your opinion.  You think drunk behaviour is excusable.  Others don't.

6 minutes ago, EagleEye said:

Ya 

But will he help the Canucks succeed in the playoffs? 

Care less about the butt hurt snowflakes here.

Just win at hockey. 

At what cost, then?  So you see someone like Kyle Beach as a butthurt snowflake, then?  Brad Aldrich helped Chicago win Stanley Cups.  Is that all anyone should care about?

15 minutes ago, Tusk said:

I admit it, I want him, because in my personal experience the red flags are mostly red herrings.

Just because you and him have something in common doesn't make it a red herring.  Alcohol doesn't excuse your behaviour - it merely explains it.

Yes.  Your response to Tusk was purely based on your social values.  You think the pendulum swung too far.  That is your opinion.  You think drunk behaviour is excusable.  Others don't.

Holy crap, I'm done. 

1 minute ago, Rekker said:

Holy crap, I'm done. 

21 minutes ago, Rekker said:

^^^^

This had nothing to do with hockey. 

To put it politely, your values clearly don't align with mine.  What you fail to see is that it probably explains our different reactions to the news about Perry.

1 minute ago, Tusk said:

I guess I will get banned for that, see ya all in a week. You just gotta stand up to a Karen and youre done.

I don’t see anything ban worthy in your dialogue. I don’t always agree with you or Miss Korea, but I think you both just (respectfully) disagree. Nothing wrong with that.

1 minute ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I don’t see anything ban worthy in your dialogue. I don’t always agree with you or Miss Korea, but I think you both just (respectfully) disagree. Nothing wrong with that.

Lol you dont know RIBS then ha  ha