Canucks Upgrade Priorities

HKSR

So do any of you really feel that confident walking into the playoffs with Pius Suter as our 2nd line centre?  No knock on the guy, he's a good player, but he certainly isn't a 2C.  If I were to look at comparables from the 2011 team, Suter is this team's Max Lapierre.  He should be the top tier 4C on this team.

We NEED a 2C if the Lotto line stays intact.

My under the radar choice is still Thomas Novak out of NAS.  On a $800k deal this year, pending UFA, but we could probably lock him up for 8 years at $4M to $5M AAV.  Novak is definitely capable of 50 to 60 points a season if given the right circumstances (ie. ice time and line mates).

Bottomline, I don't think we can walk into the playoffs with a 4C playing 2C if we hope to beat the likes of VGK, COL, LAK, etc. over a 7 game series.

Mikael Granlund... not sure how the cap would work but he could be an option that doesn't cost too much

(edit) Some other possibilities - primarily looking at centres from teams that might be selling.

Andreas Athanasiou

Adam Henrique

Ryan Strome (contract is a little long)

Boone Jenner (This would be ideal in my opinion)

Joel Erikkson Ek (this would be a commitment and probably not realistic)

Christian Dvorak (not a huge fan of this option but...)

Edited by Dizzle

If the Flyers fall out of the playoff picture I'd like for us to get Laughton.  3rd C optimally but very solid defensively with some offensive pop, plus he's quite built and can handle the physicality of a playoff series.

I have a feeling that whatever moves Allvin and Co. make leading up to the deadline, they are not likely to be major moves. The team is playing well and everything seems pretty positive around the team. The players are all committed to the system or structure or game plan or whatever you want to call it. And realistically, who would you take out of the existing lineup? I think, then, that player moves are more likely to be depth moves who are rentals and don't cost a warm body. I could be wrong, but I see no urgency at the moment to change what seems to be working. And yes I know Rutherford has a reputation for jumping the gun of the trade deadline, so maybe a meaningful trade will be made, but this seems like a very tight group.

• Like 1

top 6 winger or center. A guy with size/talent/edge

Top 4 D that can eat minutes like Hughes/Hronek. Someone more defensive that can help 5v5 D and PK. 

Either or. They both hold pretty similar need for our team. It gives us depth and injury insurance higher up in the lineup where are core players play.

36 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I have a feeling that whatever moves Allvin and Co. make leading up to the deadline, they are not likely to be major moves. The team is playing well and everything seems pretty positive around the team. The players are all committed to the system or structure or game plan or whatever you want to call it. And realistically, who would you take out of the existing lineup? I think, then, that player moves are more likely to be depth moves who are rentals and don't cost a warm body. I could be wrong, but I see no urgency at the moment to change what seems to be working. And yes I know Rutherford has a reputation for jumping the gun of the trade deadline, so maybe a meaningful trade will be made, but this seems like a very tight group.

Adding a top 4 D or top 6 forward would push guys down the lineup, create depth and injury insurance.

If Hughes/Hronek go down we don't have any insurance. Same if we lose Miller/Petey at C. Who we have don't come close to replacing them but acquiring another quality player would be closer than what we have already.

And in a healthy lineup, we would be that much stronger by adding a quality player.

Also, we are gonna need a quality C if we want to be able to run the Lotto Line and maintain solid C depth.

Maybe there's no major urgency at the moment but that would probably be because of the cap and figuring out what to do with Kuzmenko. If he's dealt then you can expect a player to be brought in with his cap, whether in the same deal or another. 

16 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dawson Mercer.  Can play centre or wing.  He's an upcoming RFA.  If New Jersey doesn't make the playoffs then he may be available for the right price.  We can easily fit him under the cap for the playoffs...

I like this idea.

A player that can play centre or wing.  If Lotto line breaks up, then Miller and EP can centre their own lines again with top 6 wingers.  No more Laffy or PDG experiments on the top lines.

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dawson Mercer.  Can play centre or wing.  He's an upcoming RFA.  If New Jersey doesn't make the playoffs then he may be available for the right price.  We can easily fit him under the cap for the playoffs...

I can't see the NJD not re-signing him.  They're walking into next season with $20M in cap space and all their main core guys locked up.  They only need to pay Mercer and McLeod. 

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Adding a top 4 D or top 6 forward would push guys down the lineup, create depth and injury insurance.

If Hughes/Hronek go down we don't have any insurance. Same if we lose Miller/Petey at C. Who we have don't come close to replacing them but acquiring another quality player would be closer than what we have already.

And in a healthy lineup, we would be that much stronger by adding a quality player.

Also, we are gonna need a quality C if we want to be able to run the Lotto Line and maintain solid C depth.

Maybe there's no major urgency at the moment but that would probably be because of the cap and figuring out what to do with Kuzmenko. If he's dealt then you can expect a player to be brought in with his cap, whether in the same deal or another. 

This is an excellent point about Hughes/Hronek.  So far, we are lucky that we haven’t had any injuries to either of these two.  The gap between Hronek and our 3rd best defenseman (Soucy?) is quite significant since the Canucks really have a #3 calibre defenseman.

1. Hughes

2. Hronek

3. MIA

4. Soucy

4B. Zadorov
5. Cole

5A. Myers 

The Canucks still might need that #2A/#3 calibre dman that can realistically play with Hughes on a top pairing and still be considered an elite pairing as a while.  Zadorov and Soucy, god bless them, I don’t think fit that bill.