[proposal] - The Canucks should get a 2nd line C, but maybe not for the reason you think

I'll try and differentiate this thread from the other dozens of "let's get **** as our 2nd line guy!"

Here is our current line-up:

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser

Mikheyev-Suter-Kuzmenko 

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland

Hoglander-Aman-Lafferty

PDG

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Myers

Cole-Soucy

Juulsen

Demko

DeSmith

Now, the general consensus on this board seems to be that we should package Kuzmenko, 2024 1st, + ??? for that coveted 2nd line Center (the ??? has significant variation and so I won't go into detail here as to what that would entail). So basically, 

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser

Suter-????-Mikheyev 

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland

Hoglander-Aman-Lafferty

PDG

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Myers

Cole-Soucy

Juulsen

Demko

DeSmith

Now here's my thought - Instead of viewing things through the lens of, "We need a good, offensively talented, 2nd line Center that can provide significant 2nd line scoring playing alongside 2/3 of Suter, Mikheyev, or Hoglander, why not view things through the following lens?  

"While Suter and Mikheyev know how to put the puck in the net, their greatest strengths as forwards lies in their superb defensive play.........so why not bring in a 2nd line Center that is just as brilliant defensively (while still decent offensively), and can form a formidable shut down line that can go against the top lines of the opposition? (which can free up Pettersson's line for more offensive deployment, while the Garland line can continue to throat-pump other 3rd lines).  

Would a Suter-Lindholm-Mikheyev line be extremely formidable from a match-ups/shut down perspective?   What about Suter-Couture-Mikheyev? Suter-O'Reilly-Mikheyev?   Think Tocchet would feel comfortable throwing those guys out on the ice to defend leads?  

This 2nd line Center that we get........he should be an "alpha" on the PK.  We've already got enough talent on our PP.  Let this new 2nd line C come in and be our top PK'er.  

Because let's face it.  With 2 of Suter, Mikheyev, or Hoglander as wingers on this new 2nd line, prolific offence isn't going to be a strength of this line no matter who the Center is..........but this line would have the potential to be the best shut down line in the league with Suter and Mikheyev as the Wingers.

Maybe it's just me but Lindholm, Ryan O'Reilly, and Couture are. three guys that are coming to mind for me.  What say you?

I think that's the reason a lot of us are eyeing Lindholm.  His defensive ability is what makes him highly coveted, because offensively, he's actually trending down from his career year a couple years ago.

• Cheers 1

Just now, HKSR said:

I think that's the reason a lot of us are eyeing Lindholm.  His defensive ability is what makes him highly coveted, because offensively, he's actually trending down from his career year a couple years ago.

Never forget.....I started the Lindholm thing on here.  :-p.  

But yes - Suter-Lindholm-Mikheyev would have the makings to be a phenomenal shut down line even if they couldn't necessarily produce consistent offense.  Get them in a match-ups role, and then have Petey and Garland's line rip up the rest of the competition. The 4th line as well.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The caveat to this is he's also a player who seemed to be elevated by Gaudreau and Tkachuk, the real dynamic offensive talents on that line

Reckon his numbers could see a bump if placed with more talented linemates 

I think Lindholm to Washington makes a lot of sense, it'd take some work though 

Just now, Coconuts said:

The caveat to this is he's also a player who seemed to be elevated by Gaudreau and Tkachuk, the real dynamic offensive talents on that line

Reckon his numbers could see a bump if placed with more talented linemates 

I think Lindholm to Washington makes a lot of sense, it'd take some work though 

Yeah, unfortunately you're probably right.  Washington needs him WAY more than we do. 

• Huggy Bear 1

8 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Buying low on Pierre Luc Dubois perhaps? (Something around Kuzmenko+ and PLD).   

(edit - nevermind, it wouldn’t work from a cap perspective.  Not realistic).

Eww no... don't go there lol

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

You can't put such a strong defensive centre like Pius Suter on the wing.  He is an excellent bottom-six player and any proposal with him on the 2nd line isn't really addressing the needs of this team.

Yeah Suter needs to be 4C.  It gives us the strength down the middle that we need.

• Cheers 1

Why not target Shane Pinto from Ottawa.

He's a young, skilled, big, right shot center that could use a change of scenery and won't cost much on his next contract. 

While you're at it go after Tarasenko too.

To Ottawa:

kuzmenko

2nd round pick in 24'

To Vancouver:

Tarasenko (50% retained)

Pinto

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, fuzzy said:

Why not target Shane Pinto from Ottawa.

He's a young, skilled, big, right shot center that could use a change of scenery and won't cost much on his next contract. 

While you're at it go after Tarasenko too.

To Ottawa:

kuzmenko

2nd round pick in 24'

To Vancouver:

Tarasenko (50% retained)

Pinto

If I were a Sens fan I'd bring a "Fire Staios" sign to my next game.  Pinto and Tarasenko are both valuable assets and if the best they can do is package them for a 2nd round pick and a struggling winger, that's brutal.

Tarasenko and Pinto are worth a 2nd round pick each.  Since our picks are projected to go super late, you are ripping them off hard.

9 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

You can't put such a strong defensive centre like Pius Suter on the wing.  He is an excellent bottom-six player and any proposal with him on the 2nd line isn't really addressing the needs of this team.

Agreed but Suter mainly left wing in Detroit did he not?  The reason why I mention Suter here is because it would give that line an identity (instead of seeing them as a prototypical second line, think of them as a bottom 6 line on steroids whose sole purpose would be to match-up and shut down the top lines of other teams while occasionally chopping in offense).  

Don’t get me wrong - I wouldn’t mind switching Hoglander and Suter in the above scenario

Hoglander-???-Mikheyev

Aman-Suter-Lafferty

but it would change the identity and complexion of that 2nd line. Even with a good center, would this line be able to produce consistent offense at the second line level?  I’m not so sure.  Would a line like this be an elite match-ups line?  I’m not so sure because Hoglander isn’t particularly known for this skill.

Right now, the Aman, Hoglander, and Lafferty line has been a really good 4th line.

11 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Agreed but Suter mainly left wing in Detroit did he not?  The reason why I mention Suter here is because it would give that line an identity (instead of seeing them as a prototypical second line, think of them as a bottom 6 line on steroids whose sole purpose would be to match-up and shut down the top lines of other teams while occasionally chopping in offense).  

Don’t get me wrong - I wouldn’t mind switching Hoglander and Suter in the above scenario

Hoglander-???-Mikheyev

Aman-Suter-Lafferty

but it would change the identity and complexion of that 2nd line. Even with a good center, would this line be able to produce consistent offense at the second line level?  I’m not so sure.  Would a line like this be an elite match-ups line?  I’m not so sure because Hoglander isn’t particularly known for this skill.

Right now, the Aman, Hoglander, and Lafferty line has been a really good 4th line.

A poorly timed comment given the absolute filth he showed the other night.  Höglander is very underrated in terms of skill and physicality.  It's harder to notice because he is technically small, and plays a lot of hockey in a bottom six role.  Do I think he and Mikheyev can thrive as second line wingers?  Hell yes.  At least on paper.  The problem is that Tocchet isn't keen on playing Hogs much.  He almost always has the lowest playing time on the team.  He doesn't kill penalties OR feature on the power play.  I think he should absolutely be getting more minutes.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

A poorly timed comment given the absolute filth he showed the other night.  Höglander is very underrated in terms of skill and physicality.  It's harder to notice because he is technically small, and plays a lot of hockey in a bottom six role.  Do I think he and Mikheyev can thrive as second line wingers?  Hell yes.  At least on paper.  The problem is that Tocchet isn't keen on playing Hogs much.  He almost always has the lowest playing time on the team.  He doesn't kill penalties OR feature on the power play.  I think he should absolutely be getting more minutes.

He had a good game last night but would it be fair to say that he’s looked out of place at times on the 2nd line this season?

Could Hoglander and Mikheyev work as a 2nd line?  Yeah probably. Would this line be an elite second even with someone like Lindholm as their center?  That I’m not sure.

12 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

His defensive game is still developing. Getting more and more Cicarelli in his game which is great but still lots of growth to come. 
This is frequently an issue with young forwards who aren’t on either special teams.
One of the big reasons Beauvillier was so useless for us, not a good enough scorer for top 6, not a penalty killer or matchup player. 

Also get into the issue when a team is playing so well, who is he going to take minutes from?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

He had a good game last night but would it be fair to say that he’s looked out of place at times on the 2nd line this season?

Could Hoglander and Mikheyev work as a 2nd line?  Yeah probably. Would this line be an elite second even with someone like Lindholm as their center?  That I’m not sure.

Yeah, he didn't mesh well with Miller and Boeser, but it is what it is.  I think Höglander can definitely do well with Mikheyev.  To answer your question directly, I think that line would look much better than having Pius Suter forced in there.

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

His defensive game is still developing. Getting more and more Cicarelli in his game which is great but still lots of growth to come. 
This is frequently an issue with young forwards who aren’t on either special teams.
One of the big reasons Beauvillier was so useless for us, not a good enough scorer for top 6, not a penalty killer or matchup player. 

Also get into the issue when a team is playing so well, who is he going to take minutes from?

Tough for me to say this, but Andrei Kuzmenko.  Compared to Beauvillier, Hogs is a hundred times better.  At everything.

Sean Monahan anyone? 29 just under 2M. Having an ok season on a not good Montreal team. Seems to be over his injury troubles. Could be cheap 2nd line center option

Josh Bloom & 2027 3rd/4th