PGT - Vancouver at Pittsburgh

PhillipBlunt

8 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Not to sound like a debbie downer but are people here a bit concerned that, in the last 4 games, the team only scored 1 non empty net goal in the 3rd period?

Edit: 5 if you include the loss to the Blues

We’ve been bad offensively in the third period all year.  We are 25-0-0 when leading after 2 periods, but the flip side of that is that we are 3-11-3 when tied or trailing after 2

11 hours ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

Wooo!

FB_IMG_1705033963605.jpg

9 hours ago, Captkirk888 said:

Actually, quite the opposite. They are trying to make Garly seem larger.....  see the original photo below.....

GDnMr1jboAA4D9X.png

13 hours ago, Jaimito said:

4-1 road trip 

25-0 leading after two 

Demko was amazing

Lotto line amazing. 

Guys were tired in third, but held on to win. 

12 hours ago, Mrwipeout said:

killer-whale-grabbing-a-jumping-penguin.jpg

Just want to give a shout out to those that go the extra mile to create something that's topical, accurate and/or funny. 

I enjoy memes and funny pics, but I really like that you folks are taking the time to edit and create something unique for everyone's enjoyment.

Keep it up!

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

JT Miller isn't the same hockey player as EP.  Saying "that much better ", they are both better in different ways.  

The last time the lotto line was doing its thing, but it wasn't doing well.   EP couldn't score, and was tripping falling down a lot more often,  Brock was snake bitten and couldn't score, and we were losing most of the games.    

Let's be real about this.   Yes EP has mad skills, but part of that is the other side of the package.   Miller showed both Brock, and EP, how to use the forecheck.  It was a pretty big deal at the time, the media picked up on it, and the Lotto Line was coined. 

I remember why it was dismantled.  We couldn't win a game with it, and Green was forced to break it up.   EP was falling down constantly, and was demoted to the third line with Hog and Podz.   Brock was also demoted later.   Something that's happened somewhat regularly the past couple seasons too.  Sheldon Dries - Brock...go out and score will you? 

The only guys that came to play right away upfront were Miller, Garland and Pearson.    Horvat also kind of blew.   Miller's single effort against Ottawa just before Green was fired was pretty epic.   Then Bruce came in and he went on a 125 point pace to finish things up.   The only linemate he had for 200 minutes or so was Brock.    A total blender.   A lot of the best lines in the league, play 450-500 plus minute together,  or pairs at least.   This year, so far, will be Millers and Brocks first year doing that, despite Miller often being "saddled" with Brock. 

My two cents?  Last time they were together, they blew, or at least weren't good enough to match up with the average first lines in the league.   And they also weren't very good the year before that either.  Sure maybe Covid had something to do about that, but more than anything, Brock and EP weren't ready for it.

Big difference  now.  And you can bet Tochett has been thinking about doing this for awhile.    I remember a one line team we had in the early 2000's, WCE.   People made songs about it.   Garlands line past 20 games or so .: well he was pretty good then too.  You could see the skill anyways.  They've got the jam now to match it.   Same with the Sedin's line.   Which is awesome.  

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.   Hope the Lotto Line kills it and we win a cup (we have a Demko too!).  I'm sure Miller would also make it work with what EP was getting too, not as many points, but doubt that would matter to him either.   Winning  seems to be the only thing he cares about, shoving Crosby.,, guys a gem.    Crosby did it most of his career, with guys that he made careers for. 

IMG_3617.png

The Brock we are seeing is a different player than two years ago when his focus and training suffered due to his father's cancer. This is the Brock we've been waiting for since he was a rookie. Petey is also a much better, more mature player. He's bigger, stronger, faster and has a lot more tools to work with. I'm hoping they stay together, because that means they're still killing it, and L2, L3 & L4 are all contributing.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Mik is definitely a utility player not a line driver. Put him alongside a good player & he brings elements that can help a line (specifically getting in on the forecheck, and keeping plays alive on the boards). I don't hate him as a complimentary player anywhere in the top 9 its just about finding a fit (like they did with Joshua/Blueger).

I think the big issue right now is the '2nd line' lacks a line driver without Miller or Petey to carry it. They don't have an identity or cohesion. Its 3 complementary players that have different skillsets. They need to find another C they can put there. And honestly I'd say if they can move Kuz another winger too (though maybe Suter could be fine in the meanwhile).

@Junkyard Dog 

I think there is a big misconception in regards to Mik's checking prowess. He does not PK and when he did he was not great. As for his board work he has 9 take aways tied with Kuzzi for team low by a regular fwd 18 hits the only fwd with fewer is Kuzzi. Usually guys who are great checkers also take the odd penalty ye know battling for pucks unless there ROR or Mikheyev in this case who only has 4 pims.

IMO he is not a checker. He's a 6'3 serviceable winger who can skate  and doesn't do much to get noticed either positively or negatively and can log some minutes against top competition. 

I'm not trying to throw Mik under the bus here I just don't see him as the right fit in the top 6 he's a fine player like a winger version of B Sutter but if we ever want to get Kuzzi going again we are going to need a real top 6 forechecker. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NHL Tyranny said:

I think we agree that game management is alive and well. As is often the case, game management includes giving the home team more love to mount a come back. Last night was a classic example. While it should even out for every team, it seems to be a little more selective, which drives me crazy and makes me wonder if there isn't some larger Bettman, inner circle, conspiracy at play. I hope it's not the case but the officials actions are keeping the theory alive. 

GCG

I agree.  I am not understanding on the necessarily to have a game management when a penalty is right front of their face.  They did call two that is necessary to make a call as it is a player safety issue, one on roughing on Malkin and one another roughing up on Garland.  There is no reason to be like that with other type of penalty that went uncalled.  If the ref called this inference many times, I would bet you that Pens would have to clean up their game in the 3rd period and the game would have been a lot different and even if they they tried to test ref's mettle with this similar action in 3rd period and called it, and Pens would  have to even further clean up their game.   It would played differently than it transpired last night and the typing goal might not happen if they couldn't get it going on PP.

19 minutes ago, Canuckleheads Fan said:

The Brock we are seeing is a different player than two years ago when his focus and training suffered due to his father's cancer. This is the Brock we've been waiting for since he was a rookie. Petey is also a much better, more mature player. He's bigger, stronger, faster and has a lot more tools to work with. I'm hoping they stay together, because that means they're still killing it, and L2, L3 & L4 are all contributing.

Absolutely.   Miller too.    They are all better now.   Peaking or in their primes at the same time.   Brock is back.    Feel the same way.   I edited my post, was distracted with the meme's! 

• Cheers 3

29 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Just want to give a shout out to those that go the extra mile to create something that's topical, accurate and/or funny. 

I enjoy memes and funny pics, but I really like that you folks are taking the time to edit and create something unique for everyone's enjoyment.

Keep it up!

I really don't deserve credit. I just steal the memes

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

c'mon Murph, you're starting to sound like Drance. Over a hundred years ago, F*** Newsy.

Petey ties it tomorrow and breaks it against Johnny G an the Overcoats

• Like 1

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Obviously, we were playing at that pace, but I've seen many good starts fall off and away from the playoffs. I will always remain the skeptic first. Generally speaking, I won't believe we'll get it done until we've proven it beyond substantial doubt.

The feeling of let down after getting up my hopes is to great a risk to take. I spent too many naive years of my youth expecting much from our team and end up disappointed to believe without substantial evidence. Call it cynicism if you want, but it is what it is. Many Canuck fans feel the same way. A product of a lot of disappointment over the years.

It's also just reality and math isn't it? You're not prognosticating emotions but when the team is mathematically in ... right?

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

20 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I'd call this, not only up to date but probably good news..

I will still take Sam Reinhart and 4 first rounders for Petey of course. In fact, there is no player other than Orr/Gretzky/Lemieux that is worth a top ten UFA scorer and 4 firsts. This is the weirdness of RFA rules afaic, it is not worth resigning your star, let someone else take them. 

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Obviously, we were playing at that pace, but I've seen many good starts fall off and away from the playoffs. I will always remain the skeptic first. Generally speaking, I won't believe we'll get it done until we've proven it beyond substantial doubt.

The feeling of let down after getting up my hopes is to great a risk to take. I spent too many naive years of my youth expecting much from our team and end up disappointed to believe without substantial evidence. Call it cynicism if you want, but it is what it is. Many Canuck fans feel the same way. A product of a lot of disappointment over the years.

Your update there is a fun factoid at this point.  We get to chuckle at how low the bar has been set by our amazing start and the continuation of racking up the W's.  Thanks for posting it!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 48MPHSlapshot said:

We've had the lead for pretty much the entire road trip so far. It makes sense that the team with the lead would be a bit more on their heels towards the end of the game. 

Especially on a road trip, where the games are closer together.