PGT - Vancouver at Pittsburgh

PhillipBlunt

21 minutes ago, NHL Tyranny said:

Coach knows better than to dwell over officiating. He will likely always say nothing or be complimentary (or at least I hope so)--or suffer the wrath of Bettman and his posse. I don't see too much complaining, just a debate about whether game management is used to favour home team come-backs. I believe it is but not consistently and I don't believe the Pens deserved twice as many PPs, irrespective of the end result.

Fair enough. That's generally true about the coach's comments on the ref. It looked like a totally honest answer to me though if you see the clip when he got interviewed right after the game. Maybe I misread it though. The only reason I made the comment is because there were a lot of complaints throughout this thread.

However, I personally think they did deserve the penalties. Up to the third they were even at 2, and we had scored a PP goal. In the third we went into our defence first mode and took 2 bad penalties that totally deserved to be called. I would appreciate if anyone has a clip of any of those supposed "missed calls" that we didn't get. That to me is how hockey has been refereed for 40 years now. Call it game management or whatever you want, I don't believe the refs are cheating for anyone. I just call it the normal outcome of a hockey game where one team is defending a lead in a tight game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Fair enough. That's generally true about the coach's comments on the ref. It looked like a totally honest answer to me though if you see the clip when he got interviewed right after the game. Maybe I misread it though. The only reason I made the comment is because there were a lot of complaints throughout this thread.

However, I personally think they did deserve the penalties. Up to the third they were even at 2, and we had scored a PP goal. In the third we went into our defence first mode and took 2 bad penalties that totally deserved to be called. I would appreciate if anyone has a clip of any of those supposed "missed calls" that we didn't get. That to me is how hockey has been refereed for 40 years now. Call it game management or whatever you want, I don't believe the refs are cheating for anyone. I just call it the normal outcome of a hockey game where one team is defending a lead in a tight game.

Did you see Tocchet's reactions on the bench to our penalties? He was not happy. And on the non calls he was furious. The Miller penalty 100% was warranted but Pittsburgh started playing very dirty once they caught a whiff that the refs put their whistles away against them. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

We’ve been bad offensively in the third period all year.  We are 25-0-0 when leading after 2 periods, but the flip side of that is that we are 3-11-3 when tied or trailing after 2

...So keep having a lead after 2....Problem solved... 😃

• Cheers 3

24 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Literally proving that you didn't read my post. " It's not just against the Canucks, it's always within a game".

Oh, so you're upset at hockey? Okay I get it. Like I said it's perspective. I did read your post. I thought you said there were more bad calls against us.

Anyways I just have to accept there will be many posts calling out the refs every game. I just find it tiring. Especially after yet another great win like last night.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Oh, so you're upset at hockey? Okay I get it. Like I said it's perspective. I did read your post. I thought you said there were more bad calls against us.

Anyways I just have to accept there will be many posts calling out the refs every game. I just find it tiring. Especially after yet another great win like last night.

Game management is getting pretty annoying tho. At least for my viewing enjoyment. Refs are too involved imo.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Tusk said:

Why do we have to dream when we already have the team.

You aint going to get a 2C that is even more skilled than Puis Suter. Yeah Crosby would take care of that shit. So would Mcdavid, Dryercycle or Matthews or Nylander.

Silly little dreamers. Nothing but a Dreamer. Can you put your hand in your head?

Who thought PA would find a potential 1st pairing RD at 25yrs and then Zadorov as well?

One never knows what the management will do if this team is still looking like a contender

down the stretch.  If there's a worthwhile trade, they will do it.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm upset at the reffing in hockey, more specifically the NHL, yes.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Game management is getting pretty annoying tho. At least for my viewing enjoyment. Refs are too involved imo.

I guess it's getting to a lot of people which is why we're seeing all these comments. Which I'm trying very hard to be accepting of. (not always doing a great job though lol)

For me it doesn't affect my enjoyment at all. I love the game of hockey. Part of the battle and the very drama is defending that lead at all costs. The drama built up by allowing the chasing team to play physical and on the border while one team does everything possible to stop them is what makes the games exciting imo. Fighting through a game when the refs seem to be against you is enthralling.

During my 40 plus years of playing I got to know many refs. Some that are in the NHL today. They always say they encourage and give leeway to the team that is playing aggressively, and will always penalize the team that is just playing not to lose.

Edit: Also, a blatant penalty is a penalty no matter what, and should be called. Those deserve to be talked about. Other than that though half the game is figuring out what you can get away with and what you can't. It's the game within the game and is fascinating in of itself, however no one should be surprised by a borderline call that is either made or not made. They only way you can guarantee you don't get called is not to make any infraction at all.

The thing that bugs me about the many complaints is it seems many are missing the subtle nuances that make the game so exciting.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

It's really interesting looking in at other teams' forums. You quickly realize that people are saying the same things as other fans across the board. None of it is unique. People react and respond to situations in the same ways often with the exact same language. 

Now that we're a better team it's fucking with people's perceptions of the Canucks, so of course people need to say "we got away with murder" rather than accepting we beat the Pens fair and square despite the refs and dirty tactics. We're now finally matching pressure with pressure and pushing back physically and aggressively as a team. 

The Pens are a team on the decline, imo, and are resorting to dirtier play in order to get an advantage because they can't dominate. 

Interesting that we're a team on the rise yet seemingly "got away with murder" ... it can't possibly be that we're a better team.

We've been saying for years in here that in order to win anything, the Canucks have to win despite the refs and in the face of bad calls. The only way to do that is to do what we've been doing and keep doing it. 

This....

Boohoo them refs are bad... 

We lnow the story, as we have seen the movie before...

So time to put the big boys pants on and be even better than that. 

Its one of the reasons I'm happy we don't win because of our PP, but despite of it...

Being it on and lets smash it....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

We almost lost that game in OT a few times. Demko stopped a semi breakaway. Both Huggy and Hero had giveaways on two risky long stretch passes. They should look at that strategy,  giveaways are not good in OT. I'm sure the coaches will.

ps I think Hronek and Huggy need maintenance days too. They are working so godam hard.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, spook007 said:

This....

Its one of the reasons I'm happy we don't win because of our PP, but despite of it...

Exactly! We not only need to be better than other teams but also better than the officiating to offset the bad calls.

Allvin just needs to keep adding so we can't be beaten by officiating. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I guess it's getting to a lot of people which is why we're seeing all these comments. Which I'm trying very hard to be accepting of. (not always doing a great job though lol)

For me it doesn't affect my enjoyment at all. I love the game of hockey. Part of the battle and the very drama is defending that lead at all costs. The drama built up by allowing the chasing team to play physical and on the border while one team does everything possible to stop them is what makes the games exciting imo. Fighting through a game when the refs seem to be against you is enthralling.

During my 40 plus years of playing I got to know many refs. Some that are in the NHL today. They always say they encourage and give leeway to the team that is playing aggressively, and will always penalize the team that is just playing not to lose.

It's just too much for me. If you're going to put the whistles away, then put them away. Don't allow the team coming from behind to push AND the team in the lead gets a penalty too. Just give an automatic penalty then.

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

This....

I could easily put on a replay video and explain why this is a penalty and why this is not on any 50/50 on a loose puck or even the puck around the board but I do not have such edit tool or even a game on replay.  If you watch the game closely, I can see Pens getting penalty if it were to be called fairly.  I have noticed a few in the 3rd period that was uncalled.  I am not talking about rough stuff.   The NHL needs to make a decision what is a penalty and what is not because often when players is not in position, he would just use his hands to hold the Canucks a little bit just enough to slow him down then he doesn't reach the puck but the puck is handled by Pens D at the blueline to further the offensive possession attempt.  If not for a hold then the Canucks forward could easily use his stick to try and get the puck over the Pens D pas the blueline or even handle the puck for maybe more board battles.  This is an example of Pens being out of position just to make a play by using interference tactics enough for ref not to call them and making it look like a 50/50 battles and it is not.

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We almost lost that game in OT a few times. Demko stopped a semi breakaway. Both Huggy and Hero had giveaways on two risky long stretch passes. They should look at that strategy,  giveaways are not good in OT. I'm sure the coaches will.

ps I think Hronek and Huggy need maintenance days too. They are working so godam hard.

Yeah thank goodness there is no 3v3 in the playoffs. We give up so many ill advised chances and just play run n gun until we get beat or finally score. I did a triple take when Myers was out there. 😂

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It's just too much for me. If you're going to put the whistles away, then put them away. Don't allow the team coming from behind to push AND the team in the lead gets a penalty too. Just give an automatic penalty then.

I agree on putting the whistles away. I thought they did their best to do that but we made two blatantly bad plays which had to be called. I mean the Miller backcheck could have been let go I suppose but it was a 3 or 4 step charge on Sidney Crosby and a viscous crosscheck to the back from squarely behind. Sidney Crosby lol. Poor play by Miller and a deserved penalty in my books. Obviously he let his emotion get the best of him.

Same thing when Sid got tripped up on a goalscoring opportunity. Those have to be called. I guess we just see it different but that seemed 100% fair to me.

I can only imagine what it will be like in here when I feel the need to call out the officiating. :frantic:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

We were really lucky no Canuck was near those Pittsburgh players when they both fell accidentally. (Guentzle stepped on the puck.) For sure I thought they would have called Edler for tripping, out of habit.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Well deserved. 

QH, and likely Demko, JT, EP and BB will be there too.  That would be fun to see. 

He could ice the lottery line plus QH and Makar with Demko in net.   

Correction, only pacific div.  So QH with Alex Pietrangelo, a right handed D. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Cheers 4

13 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

The reffing discussion is just another endless circular emotional debate without solutions.

Frustrating, upsetting, wrong, etc ... all of that.

The only real solution is to win with a lot if pushback, pressure, and skill. We're getting closer.

Exactly ... comment below applies here as well.

7 minutes ago, spook007 said:

This....

Our coaches always told us, "Don't let the referees decide the game for you". In other words just don't give them any reason whatsoever to call a penalty on you. Also don't let the refs get in your head if you get a bad call, especially no chirping. Bad calls do and will happen to you.

Part of the game is how you deal with adversity. As RT says, pushback.

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Exactly ... comment below applies here as well.

Our coaches always told us, "Don't let the referees decide the game for you". In other words just don't give them any reason whatsoever to call a penalty on you. Also don't let the refs get in your head if you get a bad call, especially no chirping. Bad calls do and will happen to you.

Part of the game is how you deal with adversity. As RT says, pushback.

100% ... we can't accept being victims of officiating and whining about it. It's not going anywhere so we need to build a winner to beat them ... and that's hard but just look at our turnaround in the past two years. We can't be soft. We've needed this culture for so, so long.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

I could easily put on a replay video and explain why this is a penalty and why this is not on any 50/50 on a loose puck or even the puck around the board but I do not have such edit tool or even a game on replay.  If you watch the game closely, I can see Pens getting penalty if it were to be called fairly.  I have noticed a few in the 3rd period that was uncalled.  I am not talking about rough stuff.   The NHL needs to make a decision what is a penalty and what is not because often when players is not in position, he would just use his hands to hold the Canucks a little bit just enough to slow him down then he doesn't reach the puck but the puck is handled by Pens D at the blueline to further the offensive possession attempt.  If not for a hold then the Canucks forward could easily use his stick to try and get the puck over the Pens D pas the blueline or even handle the puck for maybe more board battles.  This is an example of Pens being out of position just to make a play by using interference tactics enough for ref not to call them and making it look like a 50/50 battles and it is not.

I know there are penalties, which should be called but aren't or weren't... same happens to all the teams. 
Not saying its right, but thats how the cookie crumbles...

What we need to do is to better than that. We need to be able to overcome some bad calls along the way... and at present that is, what we do... long may it last. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1