PGT - Vancouver at Pittsburgh

PhillipBlunt

17 hours ago, -dlc- said:

You're hardly the one to talk about "doesn't need to be repeated". You've been repeating the same stuff all year.

So let people do their thing too, please.

Fun is permitted. encouraged!

FTFY 🍻

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We almost lost that game in OT a few times. Demko stopped a semi breakaway. Both Huggy and Hero had giveaways on two risky long stretch passes. They should look at that strategy,  giveaways are not good in OT. I'm sure the coaches will.

ps I think Hronek and Huggy need maintenance days too. They are working so godam hard.

Combined Hughes and Hronek have 87 points and are plus 60 in 42 games. Hard for any coach to test one off those two superstar D. 
They are by far the best D pairing in the league. 
Hughes ranks as the best and Hronek ranks top 5. 

• ThereItIs 1

7 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Draisaitl 2C?   😆

Well?

In his last 4 games Petey has 7 Goals & 12 Points.

Just so-so the two games before. Dontcha think?  ☺️

Dude was struggling as a 2C for a while… the TJ woke him up…

8 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Could we rent Crosby?This year and next. When his contract ends next year he can go back?

Pittsburgh brought in an older Brian Trottier to help win Cups in the early 90’s. Cups 5 and 6 for him. 
Crosby could do the same for us. Back to back Cups in 2024 and then again in 2025. 
Get ‘er done Allvin! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Pittsburgh brought in an older Brian Trottier to help win Cups in the early 90’s. Cups 5 and 6 for him. 
Crosby could do the same for us. Back to back Cups in 2024 and then again in 2025. 
Get ‘er done Allvin! 

It would cost us a pretty penny though

7 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Excellent summary above. My add would be on the d-side game. As good as it has looked on this road trip I think there is more upside. Soucy has returned with solid play. Interesting that RT has let Meyers play a tad more aggressively towards the ozone. Do RT/Foote see something more in teh Soucy/Meyers pairing. It appears so. 

Again I thought the score flattered Pitt to a degree. Crosby drove their offence. I have never liked Malkin from WJC days when he flipped Canada the bird and would not shake hands. Ovie did so always respected him. Malkin slashing Demko across the wrist does not surprise me at all. The image in that game that stays with me is Crosby looking up at Zad after a whistle killed play. Earlier Zad had stapled a Pitt player on the boards and surprise, no one went after him. Zad's closest critic of the Flames came on his comment that Vancouver had no keystone cops events and that it was easier to play defense in Vancouver. What? Vancouver has the 3rd biggest d-core in the NHL. I don't think that has registered with the NHL talking heads yet. It certainly bodes well come playoffs. IMHO the priority for PA is up front. 

Connor Garland: teams have 'glue' players and that is what Garland has become under Tochett. Much of what he does isn't shown on the scoresheet. What a beautiful skater. He covers 200' both offensively and defensively with consistency.  

Ya we needed size and toughness on D and Garland has an identity that is far more valuable than points…

I think what is amazing with this team is what the coaches have done… The coaches are giving players who were struggling to be effective an identity…they have given these players confidence, a role and a purpose and these players are rising up and meeting those expectations - it’s awesome to see this… 

Furthermore I want to see what Pius Suter has to offer… I wonder if he can grow into an effective number 2C… I think it would be an amazing story… Because he’s a solid two way player with offensive upside -

if the two Russians wingers can get rolling we will have an effective line…

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS

3 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

It would cost us a pretty penny though

True. But for having Sid as our 2 C for two playoffs it’s worth it. We have an elite core. Best we’ve ever had. (Never had a generational D like Hughes) 

Crosby, of course, would never come available, but get him anyway Allvin! 🙃

4 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Love that Allvin is putting a bit of pressure on Petey to make a decision now and not wait until the offseason. We can't wait that long. We need to build this team, and we need to know what we have left to further the plan. 

Allvin isn't putting "pressure" on though. Not really. Petey said he just wants to focus on the game with no distractions. contract talk is a distraction.

He isn't going anywhere, afterall. He's an RFA. They have tons of time to figure it out.

His agent and management both said they're good terms and speaking throughout the year.  Even Rutherford said "there's no hurry at all." And he's right.

Of course they have other guys to sign and money to allocate, but it's not like they don't have a good ballpark on the dollars for him. Easy to set that amount aside wait for the right moment to negotiate the finer details.

Really no need to make the Petey contract 'concerns' more than they are.  Rest easy, friend.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

Allvin isn't putting "pressure" on though. Not really. Petey said he just wants to focus on the game with no distractions. contract talk is a distraction.

He isn't going anywhere, afterall. He's an RFA. They have tons of time to figure it out.

His agent and management both said they're good terms and speaking throughout the year.  Even Rutherford said "there's no hurry at all." And he's right.

Of course they have other guys to sign and money to allocate, but it's not like they don't have a good ballpark on the dollars for him. Easy to set that amount aside wait for the right moment to negotiate the finer details.

Really no need to make the Petey contract 'concerns' more than they are.  Rest easy, friend.

Allvin: “I have conversations but nothing obviously has changed,” Allvin told Sportsnet before the Penguins game. “We want to keep Petey here. He knows that. At some point, it's going to come down to negotiations and if it's working or not.

“We have another year with him as a RFA; we're not going to lose him this summer (as a UFA). But that being said, I'm trying to plan for our team this year and next year, and I want him to be a big part of it.” 

Speaking Thursday evening, Brisson didn’t rule out contract negotiations restarting before the end of this season but said he needs to reconnect with Pettersson after this road trip to discuss options.

“I can’t say whether it will be in two weeks or two months, but (negotiations) could definitely still happen this season,” Brisson told Sportsnet.

Jester13: "Love that Allvin is putting a bit of pressure on Petey to make a decision now and not wait until the offseason."

I'd say this is a bit of pressure. He clearly wants to sign him sooner rather than later because they're looking to bolster the lineup for this playoff run, but he can't do that if he doesn't know what he's working with. 

• Jess unfeatured and unpinned this topic
3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Had to put my dog down yesterday, I’m glad the Canucks gave us a good game to keep spirts up last night was a nice escape 

Sorry to hear that, brother! Breaks my heart. So painful and tough. Hang in there! 

• Like 2