[Rumour] Dreger: Sean Monahan likely to be traded at the deadline

Here's yet another option for the Canucks to pursue.  Monahan's had a challenging career but surprisingly hasn't missed a single game this year.  He's looked pretty solid as a middle-six center for Montreal these past two seasons (41 points in 65 games).

image.png.d9c5fbab3364d7cf1713deaaeb9b60c5.png

11 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

He had the same surgery as Demko and he's finally healthy.  Hes 7th in the league for faceoff percentage. He also has a really affordable cap hit ($1.985m)   There's likely to be a fair but if interest in him 

image.png.c641576f5dbf455d200e6e39dd4740f6.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm just not sure he'd be a better option at 2C than anyone we already have if the Lotto line is longer term, especially as likely a rental. And if the Lotto line struggles at all and gets spread out again, we don't need him at all.

He could help solidify the middle a little but I think if we do want to make a move it's for a little better middle six center with potential. The other option would be a scoring winger. Monahan is definitely an improvement on Aman and PDG, but not a clear improvement over any other forward above them.

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, qwijjibo said:

He had the same surgery as Demko and he's finally healthy.  Hes 7th in the league for faceoff percentage. He also has a really affordable cap hit ($1.985m)   There's likely to be a fair but if interest in him 

Can never have enough quality centers.

His cap hit is great for a rental this year.

A bit of cap trickery and this trade can work.

Puts Sutr back down to 4th C along with Lafferty and Hoglander…that’s a killer 4th line. 

A second line of Kuz Monahan and Mik could be very solid. And would provide minimal disruption to our team chemistry right now.

Obviously cap has to go back in the trade, maybe Aman, a pick, maybe a lower tier prospect on the farm.

I don’t think he is the answer, if we needed a 3C maybe. 

The lotto line success again means we should probably find a legit 2C so the option is at least there to keep the top

guys together or switch it up to give different looks.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Other than his face off ability I’m not sure what he would offer.

i watched him a lot in Calgary when he was a scorer. Soft on the boards and was invisible a lot of the time- that was in his prime.  Johnny drove all the offence on that line. 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, Darius said:

Other than his face off ability I’m not sure what he would offer.

i watched him a lot in Calgary when he was a scorer. Soft on the boards and was invisible a lot of the time- that was in his prime.  Johnny drove all the offence on that line. 

58% in faceoff circle is a big enough reason alone. But he's put up 11 goals/24 points in 41 games playing primarily 3rd line minutes with the likes of Gallagher, Pearson (prior to his injury) Evans and and Anderson 

• Upvote 1

Just now, qwijjibo said:

58% in faceoff circle is a nig enough reason alone. But he's put up 11 goals/24 points in 41 games playing primarily 3rd line minutes with the likes of Gallagher, Pearson (prior to his injury) Evans and and Anderson 

I’ll admit I haven’t watched him

much in Montreal, I have the impression of him in Calgary … not a tocchet type centre for the second line.  That said he could be an improvement on Suter for a second line C. 

5 hours ago, elvis15 said:

I'm just not sure he'd be a better option at 2C than anyone we already have if the Lotto line is longer term, especially as likely a rental. And if the Lotto line struggles at all and gets spread out again, we don't need him at all.

He could help solidify the middle a little but I think if we do want to make a move it's for a little better middle six center with potential. The other option would be a scoring winger. Monahan is definitely an improvement on Aman and PDG, but not a clear improvement over any other forward above them.

Monahan is an upgrade on Suter.  He’s also at almost 58% on faceoffs.  I’d easily take him to be our 2C and move Suter to the 4th line.  Just not sure what Montreal would want.  I’m sure they are looking to get a 1st round pick.  I’d pass on that.  I’d rather spend a 1st round pick on a younger player who we can keep long term…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Still producing at a 50 pt season pace, (he'd be even better in our lineup without question) great on the dot, a skilled "veteran" who is still only 29...he'd be a fantastic add, on his cap hit alone, even without all of the aforementioned

At 50% retention Montreal will easily get a 1st round pick.  Not sure I’d want to blow that load on Monahan.  But he’s definitely an upgrade on Suter…

5 hours ago, Provost said:

I don’t think he is the answer, if we needed a 3C maybe. 

The lotto line success again means we should probably find a legit 2C so the option is at least there to keep the top

guys together or switch it up to give different looks.

Dawson Mercer.  Can play centre or wing so he’d be perfect for us.  If New Jersey misses the playoffs he could be available.  

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

At 50% retention Montreal will easily get a 1st round pick.  Not sure I’d want to blow that load on Monahan.  But he’s definitely an upgrade on Suter…

Big upgrade. I trust the FO here, if a deal is to be made, we won't be bent over, it will be "fair market value" (at worst)

And never mind on the ice, when even looking on paper, that top 6 is dynamic, more versatile, and more lethal than ever with him in it.

Gotta give to get, and Monahan gets us even closer to the Holy Grail.

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, Sell.the.team said:

I've heard this guy is a little too into the nose beers

I won't speculate since I don't have all the facts but this guy declined very fast in the NHL.

Injuries and his style of play were also probably contributing factors but no guy in their mid-to-late 20's should decline as fast as he did.  

Hard pass on Monahan.  

As a last resort to bolster the lineup, sure, but I'd like to aim higher. This is a special season that I think we should go for it - not for an expensive rental, but for a long-term core piece like Ek is the bar I'd shoot for first.

30 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

As a last resort to bolster the lineup, sure, but I'd like to aim higher. This is a special season that I think we should go for it - not for an expensive rental, but for a long-term core piece like Ek is the bar I'd shoot for first.

Ya, if you are looking for a 1st or blue chip prospect for a Monahan rental… I would totally add one more significant piece to that package and get a guy like Ek instead if it was possible to pry him away.

With salary inflation his deal will be incredibly efficient going forward.  You add players like Ek and Greenway (instead of Kuzmenko and Hoglander) to this roster and it is starting to look like a monster.  A year ago if you said it was possible to transition our team that fast I probably would have made fun of you.

Petterson-Miller-Boeser

Greenway-Ek-Mikheyev

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Aman-Suter-Lafferty 

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Cole

Soucy-Myers

Juulsen

With a decent chance of keeping that group together next year with just the expiration of the Myers contract and cap increase possibly leaving enough money on the table under the cap.  Sliding Juulsen sliding into that spot.

You can see the path for keeping a solid roster going forward.  Lekkerimaki replaces Garland in a couple years; Willander/Petterson replace Cole and Juulsen within 2-3 years.  A couple of experienced vets on short term deals filling holes in the bottom six as some of our current guys get raises and become unaffordable.

Allvin needs to be GM of the year if he has one more ace up his sleeve like this for a big move at the deadline.

My hopes and sights are set lower for the deadline, but one can dream.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

Ya, if you are looking for a 1st or blue chip prospect for a Monahan rental… I would totally add one more significant piece to that package and get a guy like Ek instead if it was possible to pry him away.

With salary inflation his deal will be incredibly efficient going forward.  You add players like Ek and Greenway (instead of Kuzmenko and Hoglander) to this roster and it is starting to look like a monster.  A year ago if you said it was possible to transition our team that fast I probably would have made fun of you.

Petterson-Miller-Boeser

Greenway-Ek-Mikheyev

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Aman-Suter-Lafferty 

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Cole

Soucy-Myers

Juulsen

With a decent chance of keeping that group together next year with just the expiration of the Myers contract and cap increase possibly leaving enough money on the table under the cap.  Sliding Juulsen sliding into that spot.

You can see the path for keeping a solid roster going forward.  Lekkerimaki replaces Garland in a couple years; Willander/Petterson replace Cole and Juulsen within 2-3 years.  A couple of experienced vets on short term deals filling holes in the bottom six as some of our current guys get raises and become unaffordable.

Allvin needs to be GM of the year if he has one more ace up his sleeve like this for a big move at the deadline.

My hopes and sights are set lower for the deadline, but one can dream.

Ek would be great, but he's also a pipe dream and one of the last players Minny is likely to move if they plan on competing regularly 

Monahan could be interesting but he'll probs cost too much

• Cheers 1