[Rumour] Dreger: Sean Monahan likely to be traded at the deadline

3 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

And we would need to include a current roster player to make it work for us cap wise.

If MTL retains 50% we could give em Friedman and we'd be just under the cap. 

Montreal only has 1 retention slot left for this season. So if Vancouver is asking for retention (thus eliminating the possibility of retaining on another contract for a better return) and needing to take back a player who would be a cap dump, I'd expect the starting ask is a 1st at a minimum  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Montreal only has 1 retention slot left for this season. So if Vancouver is asking for retention (thus eliminating the possibility of retaining on another contract for a better return) and needing to take back a player who would be a cap dump, I'd expect the starting ask is a 1st at a minimum  

No club is paying a first for Moonohands. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Jester13 said:

As a last resort to bolster the lineup, sure, but I'd like to aim higher. This is a special season that I think we should go for it - not for an expensive rental, but for a long-term core piece like Ek is the bar I'd shoot for first.

Just need to be persistent on Ek and keep communication open like they did when they willed Hronek to be available haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Monahan without retention probably goes for at least a 2nd if not more, 1st for retainment isn't unrealistic at all 

If he's truly over his injuries he could be a sleeper acquisition, he had 17 points in 25 games last season and has 24 in 41 thus far 

Place him on a more competitive team with skilled linemates and I don't see why he couldn't be a 50 point player 

The appeal to playoff bound teams is being able to fit in such a player at a slightly less than a 1M cap hit, teams have given up what have wound up being later 1st's for less 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Just need to be persistent on Ek and keep communication open like they did when they willed Hronek to be available haha.

I guess never say never, if we are willing to pay the price anyone is available.

We are almost guaranteed to have a fairly late round pick this year after #20.  Even if we lose in the first round, it looks likely we will be pretty high in the standings and get the a poor pick even in the order of the other losers of the first round.

History has shown late 1sts aren’t that much different than 2nd round picks in terms of making the NHL.  Even early 3rd round picks aren’t much of a drop off in odds.  When you say 1st round pick though it really seems to perk up GM ears a LOT more than how they would value a 40th pick.

That is all to say if there is a year to actually put our first in play this might be it, especially if the return is a guy under club control with term remaining like Ek.

I can’t see also not having to give up on one of our top Swedish prospects though and that would sting.  Each of them profiles to literally fit in holes that will be opening on the roster in the coming years when expensive veteran contracts expire.

Maybe Brzustewics (dang this guy need a nickname so I don’t have to spell it) is a flashy enough name along with a 1st round pick.  That has to get a long phone call you would think.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

I guess never say never, if we are willing to pay the price anyone is available.

We are almost guaranteed to have a fairly late round pick this year after #20.  Even if we lose in the first round, it looks likely we will be pretty high in the standings and get the a poor pick even in the order of the other losers of the first round.

History has shown late 1sts aren’t that much different than 2nd round picks in terms of making the NHL.  Even early 3rd round picks aren’t much of a drop off in odds.  When you say 1st round pick though it really seems to perk up GM ears a LOT more than how they would value a 40th pick.

That is all to say if there is a year to actually put our first in play this might be it, especially if the return is a guy under club control with term remaining like Ek.

I can’t see also not having to give up on one of our top Swedish prospects though and that would sting.  Each of them profiles to literally fit in holes that will be opening on the roster in the coming years when expensive veteran contracts expire.

Maybe Brzustewics (dang this guy need a nickname so I don’t have to spell it) is a flashy enough name along with a 1st round pick.  That has to get a long phone call you would think.

Then we could use the pick and draft Lucas Pettersson haha. Never enough Petterssons.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Provost said:

For Brzustewics, I say we call him Subaru.

subaru-brz-rear copy.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 1/11/2024 at 6:55 PM, qwijjibo said:

He had the same surgery as Demko and he's finally healthy.  Hes 7th in the league for faceoff percentage. He also has a really affordable cap hit ($1.985m)   There's likely to be a fair but if interest in him 

always apprecciate you and the other fella who follows the MTL canadaiens, i use to follow them a bit and watch there games a ton, but just havent since price and the old cast moved out, kinda same with WPG, anyways rambling. at that cap hit i wouldnt mind gambling that though.

Canucks are not really in a position to make any moves until they move kuzmenko or garland or maybe Myers if they want to touch the defence. Most teams making these rentals available I doubt would be looking to take back cap dumps with terms. Even if Vancouver doesn’t view kuz or garland as a cap dump. I don’t see them as a fit on a rebuilding team with terms and a pretty steep salary. So let see how they free up the cap first 

• Vintage 1

On 1/12/2024 at 1:06 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Dawson Mercer.  Can play centre or wing so he’d be perfect for us.  If New Jersey misses the playoffs he could be available.  

Way, way too expensive 

17 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Monahan without retention probably goes for at least a 2nd if not more, 1st for retainment isn't unrealistic at all 

If he's truly over his injuries he could be a sleeper acquisition, he had 17 points in 25 games last season and has 24 in 41 thus far 

Place him on a more competitive team with skilled linemates and I don't see why he couldn't be a 50 point player 

The appeal to playoff bound teams is being able to fit in such a player at a slightly less than a 1M cap hit, teams have given up what have wound up being later 1st's for less 

Too high risk for us. If Allvin is really going to move that pick it can't be for this guy. 

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Too high risk for us. If Allvin is really going to move that pick it can't be for this guy. 

Yeah. That would be an absolute bonehead move. It's totally unrealistic. 

You don't move that pick unless it has the potential to be a Miller or Hronek type player. 

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

We'll see, not every trade involving a 1dt is going to be a home run, we've just been spoiled in recent years

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

We'll see, not every trade involving a 1dt is going to be a home run, we've just been spoiled in recent years

it kind of does for us though, the OEL buyout makes it a necessity to either use the pick for  a solid player or make sure we get an RFA in a trade, imo. 

Edited by Bob Long

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

it kind of does for us though, the OEL buyout makes it a necessity to either use the pick for  a solid player or make sure we get an RFA in a trade, imo. 

Well, we'll see what happens 

I'm just not expecting 1sts to turn into Miller's and Hronek's regularly, I don't think that kind of expectation is realistic 

Management has done well for the most part, but I'm not gonna pretend they're some sort of miracle workers

Edited by Coconuts

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Well, we'll see what happens 

I'm just not expecting 1sts to turn into Miller's and Hronek's regularly, I don't think that kind of expectation is realistic 

Management has done well for the most part, but I'm not gonna pretend they're some sort of miracle workers

its a pickle. The pick, hopefully, is in the 24-32 range, preferably the latter. So not really a pick that gets most GMs drooling. 

But a great pick if you are looking at a 4-5 year replacement plan for a current roster guy.

25 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

its a pickle. The pick, hopefully, is in the 24-32 range, preferably the latter. So not really a pick that gets most GMs drooling. 

But a great pick if you are looking at a 4-5 year replacement plan for a current roster guy.

Agreed, the caveat is what we wound up trading for Miller and Hronek

We were a worse team when we traded for Miller and we traded an Isles 1st that could have been an unprotected 1st if the Isles had slid instead of making the playoffs

That was the appeal of the pick for the Wings, it was either going to be middling or bump to next season

This season it'll be 16OA at best, the guys available for this year's first alone may be of different caliber 

• Vintage 1