[Rumour] Dreger: Sean Monahan likely to be traded at the deadline

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Ek would be great, but he's also a pipe dream and one of the last players Minny is likely to move if they plan on competing regularly 

the only way I could see it is if they decide that next year is a mini-step back/reset year and someone gives them a ton of young assets. 

Is he worth for sure one of Lekkerimaki or Willander, and our 1st, and Ratu and D Petey? 

11 minutes ago, Provost said:

Ya, if you are looking for a 1st or blue chip prospect for a Monahan rental… I would totally add one more significant piece to that package and get a guy like Ek instead if it was possible to pry him away.

With salary inflation his deal will be incredibly efficient going forward.  You add players like Ek and Greenway (instead of Kuzmenko and Hoglander) to this roster and it is starting to look like a monster.  A year ago if you said it was possible to transition our team that fast I probably would have made fun of you.

Petterson-Miller-Boeser

Greenway-Ek-Mikheyev

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Aman-Suter-Lafferty 

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Cole

Soucy-Myers

Juulsen

With a decent chance of keeping that group together next year with just the expiration of the Myers contract and cap increase possibly leaving enough money on the table under the cap.  Sliding Juulsen sliding into that spot.

You can see the path for keeping a solid roster going forward.  Lekkerimaki replaces Garland in a couple years; Willander/Petterson replace Cole and Juulsen within 2-3 years.  A couple of experienced vets on short term deals filling holes in the bottom six as some of our current guys get raises and become unaffordable.

Allvin needs to be GM of the year if he has one more ace up his sleeve like this for a big move at the deadline.

My hopes and sights are set lower for the deadline, but one can dream.

Our window opened this year and we blew it right off the hinges. I'm sold on going all in starting this year, even sacrificing Lekkermaki and our 1st to make it happen. Again, not for a rental, but for Ek because he has term with a great contract. We still have no idea when Lekk will be ready, and our 1st this year might not even make it to the NHL, let alone be ready in the next four years, which is our window. The only roster player we'd lose in a deal for Ek is Kuzy, and replacing him with Ek is 100% a-okay with me.

Kuzy, Lekkermaki, 1st and an Abby sweetener. 

Petey - Miller - Brock

Hogs - Ek - Mik

Joshua - Blueger - Suter

PDG/Aman - Suter - Laff

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - Cole

Soucy - Myers

Juulsen

Demko

DeSmith

Tocchet, Foote, Gonchar, Yeo

That's a very tough team to play against. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

the only way I could see it is if they decide that next year is a mini-step back/reset year and someone gives them a ton of young assets. 

Is he worth for sure one of Lekkerimaki or Willander, and our 1st, and Ratu and D Petey? 

It's hard to see, one more season after this one and their dead cap drops from 14.7M to 1.6M, Ek is signed at 5.25 for another 5 seasons

If anything I see Minny trying to revamp things once their dead cap is freed up, pair that with cap increases and they should be fine going forward

A surefire playoff team? No, but they should have the flexibility to make themselves better 

I'm also not interested in giving up any of those pieces, I'm not all in on this season the way some folks are, keep the prospects and futures and keep building the pipeline

• ThereItIs 1

12 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

Maybe I've got an unpopular opinion on this one; keep everyone as they are.

An upgrade at 4C is needed; Aman is depth, and looks better on wing. IF you traded for Monahan, he'd move Suter to 4C, and suddenly the 4th lines offense would take off. It would be a great trade, but have to be at the right price (3rd or higher round pick).

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It's hard to see, one more season after this one and their dead cap drops from 14.7M to 1.6M, Ek is signed at 5.25 for another 5 seasons

If anything I see Minny trying to revamp things once their dead cap is freed up, pair that with cap increases and they should be fine going forward

A surefire playoff team? No, but they should have the flexibility to make themselves better 

I'm also not interested in giving up any of those pieces, I'm not all in on this season the way some folks are, keep the prospects and futures and keep building the pipeline

fine from a cap pov, but will they be able to attract free agents? is their pipeline of kids good enough? I don't know, but thats where I could see a decision made if the return was big enough. 

I think it guts our future to get E-Ek, so I wouldn't want to see it, but maybe a team like ANA who have a lot of young talent to spare?

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

fine from a cap pov, but will they be able to attract free agents? is their pipeline of kids good enough? I don't know, but thats where I could see a decision made if the return was big enough. 

I think it guts our future to get E-Ek, so I wouldn't want to see it, but maybe a team like ANA who have a lot of young talent to spare?

I think so, I think they're better than they've looked this season and they've only missed the playoffs once since 2011-2012

Their start has them in tough to make it this season but they've been consistently competitive for a while 

I'm not sure Anaheim's there yet, they'd be smart to be patient with their youth movement, they have too much top end talent not to be good eventually, but they ain't making the playoffs this season or likely next 

I reckon they'll sell Gibson

• Like 1

He has 4 less point than Lindholm. Im also guessing but would say Lindholm gets more favourable ice time.

low risk as long as the price is low and with his experience playing with top players he could end up re-igniting Kuzmenko 

miller-petey-boeser

mik-monahan-kuz

josh-blue-garland

hogz-suter-laff

trade

3rd and Macdonaugh

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think so, I think they're better than they've looked this season and they've only missed the playoffs once since 2011-2012

Their start has them in tough to make it this season but they've been consistently competitive for a while 

I'm not sure Anaheim's there yet, they'd be smart to be patient with their youth movement, they have too much top end talent not to be good eventually, but they ain't making the playoffs this season or likely next 

Minni fans are probably also quite patient too 

22 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I reckon they'll sell Gibson

I hope so, spring that guy while he's still good 

16 minutes ago, Johnny said:

He has 4 less point than Lindholm. Im also guessing but would say Lindholm gets more favourable ice time.

low risk as long as the price is low and with his experience playing with top players he could end up re-igniting Kuzmenko 

miller-petey-boeser

mik-monahan-kuz

josh-blue-garland

hogz-suter-laff

trade

3rd and Macdonaugh

I suspect it'll take a higher pick and a better prospect. 

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Minni fans are probably also quite patient too 

I hope so, spring that guy while he's still good 

Probs, Guerin's signings haven't all been perfect but most of his trades haven't hurt the team, things were always gonna be tight with almost 15M in dead cap

Gibson could fit on several teams, probs the best tender available even if his numbers don't show it 

Jersey was poking around, Ottawa could use him, Carolina could maybe use him, Edmonton could but idk how that'd fit, Toronto, Buffalo, maybe LA

Put him in Jersey, Carolina, or LA and he'd probably shine, he could very likely help bump Buffalo and Ottawa up as they're weak in net 

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Monahan is an upgrade on Suter.  He’s also at almost 58% on faceoffs.  I’d easily take him to be our 2C and move Suter to the 4th line.  Just not sure what Montreal would want.  I’m sure they are looking to get a 1st round pick.  I’d pass on that.  I’d rather spend a 1st round pick on a younger player who we can keep long term…

He likely is, certainly on faceoffs. His points have been surprising considering his drop off as well. But it's he better in the areas Suter excels at for us? Is the rest enough for it to be a 2nd line upgrade and to make the cost worth it? Like you say, if it's a 1st, probably not. I'd worry about there not being chemistry and the second line still not improving.

Who knows, maybe Allvin can get in early to avoid a bidding war and get a favourable deal. It would be worth a try for a low cost. I'm sure he's asking on this and other options around the league since he's already been so busy.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Probs, Guerin's signings haven't all been perfect but most of his trades haven't hurt the team, things were always gonna be tight with almost 15M in dead cap

Gibson could fit on several teams, probs the best tender available even if his numbers don't show it 

Jersey was poking around, Ottawa could use him, Carolina could maybe use him, Edmonton could but idk how that'd fit, Toronto, Buffalo, maybe LA

Put him in Jersey, Carolina, or LA and he'd probably shine, he could very likely help bump Buffalo and Ottawa up as they're weak in net 

I bet Marky is headed to Jersey 

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I bet Marky is headed to Jersey 

Just saw that, interesting times in Calgary

Doesn't really leave them with a starter, at this rate it'll be more interesting to see who they keep 

14 hours ago, Sell.the.team said:

I've heard this guy is a little too into the nose beers

I got 2 buddy’s that play in the league 1 is a 13th forward everywhere he plays so moved around a lot and the stories about the partying is insane! He told me ekblad and hubby were the hardest party animals he has played with to date lol

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

I got 2 buddy’s that play in the league 1 is a 13th forward everywhere he plays so moved around a lot and the stories about the partying is insane! He told me ekblad and hubby were the hardest party animals he has played with to date lol

It's probably the pose, but your picture icon always reminds me of this piece of art..

• Haha 1

Monahan would be an option if the price is right.  

Another idea would be looking to Dallas.  They have like 8 guys on the roster listed as C's.    After Hintz, Duchesne, Pavelka and Seguin they have 20 year old Wyatt Johnson and 25 year old Sam Steel.  Then 30 year old Faksa and 23 year old Dellandrea.  And we have Kuz that could upgrade their wings.  Hmmm.

2 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

I suspect it'll take a higher pick and a better prospect. 

I dont see him costing any more than a second rounder by it self

hes likely not going to return an NHL ready prospect and a second. 

he was a bit of a project going into montreal, not known to be a great shutdown guy so his value lies in faceoffs and 35-40 points. 

could be conditional that if he scores at .5 points while in van the 3rd gets upgraded to a second

28 minutes ago, Johnny said:

he was a bit of a project going into montreal, not known to be a great shutdown guy so his value lies in faceoffs and 35-40 points. 

could be conditional that if he scores at .5 points while in van the 3rd gets upgraded to a second

An offensive 2nd line centre would be fine with the offensive-minded Kuz and the defensively strong Mikheyev. Our other lines can be stronger defensive matchups.

Would also be nice to have a centre on PP2.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Johnny said:

It's the least Montreal could do after torching us with Toffoli 

35 minutes ago, Johnny said:

When you consider he's a C who is fantastic in the faceoff circle, is known to be great in the room, is healthy, has produced well in limited minutes with bottom 6 quality linemates, and his low cap hit,  Then factor in all the teams looking for am upgrade at the centre position.  Plus there's the standard trade deadline overpay (Lehkonen returned a 2nd and a young b+ right shot D in Justin Barron)

I think a 2nd + another decent asset is a reasonable expectation 

10 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

When you consider he's a C who is fantastic in the faceoff circle, is known to be great in the room, is healthy, has produced well in limited minutes with bottom 6 quality linemates, and his low cap hit,  Then factor in all the teams looking for am upgrade at the centre position.  Plus there's the standard trade deadline overpay (Lehkonen returned a 2nd and a young b+ right shot D in Justin Barron)

I think a 2nd + another decent asset is a reasonable expectation 

And we would need to include a current roster player to make it work for us cap wise.

If MTL retains 50% we could give em Friedman and we'd be just under the cap.