[Weekes] Markstrom on the Move?

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

EDM and TOR are probably knocking down the door to get to Marky.  Neither team has a lot to offer, but I think TOR might have the edge in terms of tradeable assets.

Why? How many goals does Marky have?:classic_wink:

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hronek is on pace for more than 70 points and a plus 50. That’s a super good player. Steal by Allvin. 

Yes, the trade has worked out, but your whataboutism is tired and old when the topic at hand was the importance of drafting and development. 

Let's not pretend poaching an RFA top 4D is a commonplace occurrence that regularly happens. Credit to management, but if it were easy every team would do it. 

Edited by Coconuts

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Oh man, those were tough years.  Vancouver was truly known as a goalie graveyard.

Now we're a goalie factory, and I really have high hopes that with Foote and Gonchar, we are now gonna be a defenceman factory too.  Just imagine how strong the Canucks will be if we constantly produce high quality goalies and defencemen.

Just poach someone from Nashville.  Out of Shea Weber, Ryan Suter, and Seth Jones, how the hell did Roman Josi become the best of the bunch?  I think as an 18-year old defenceman your dream is to get drafted by the Predators.

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Not an ideal move, but maybe a pretty good one for Cowtown, maybe it gives huberbust a better partner.

Better deal for Carolina.

Let's speculate for funsies

To Calgary

2024 1st

Raanta (1.5M)

Martinook (1.8M)

DeAngelo (1.65M)

4.95M in total, all pending UFA's 

To Carolina 

Markstrom (6M)

2026 3rd (Vancouver's)

Carolina has 1.8M in cap space and can eat the cap difference, I don't see Calgary wanting to retain on Markstrom the next two seasons, but maybe they opt to retain 1-2M or so in order for Carolina to try and retain Martinook if Carolina adds

Calgary takes the 1st and tries to flip the players they get 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Let's speculate for funsies

To Calgary

2024 1st

Raanta (1.5M)

Martinook (1.8M)

DeAngelo (1.65M)

4.95M in total, all pending UFA's 

To Carolina 

Markstrom (6M)

2026 3rd (Vancouver's)

Carolina has 1.8M in cap space and can eat the cap difference, I don't see Calgary wanting to retain on Markstrom the next two seasons

Calgary takes the 1st and tries to flip the players they get 

I think Cowville will be shopping for a C that can wake up Louisx2 as Alf put it.

Necas for Marky 1:1?

Just now, Bob Long said:

I think Cowville will be shopping for a C that can wake up Louisx2 as Alf put it.

I have a hard time seeing Necas being available if Carolina still fancies themselves a contender 

I'm not sure that kind of center is available for Calgary, they'd probably be better selling and hoping for Celebrini

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Just poach someone from Nashville.  Out of Shea Weber, Ryan Suter, and Seth Jones, how the hell did Roman Josi become the best of the bunch?  I think as an 18-year old defenceman your dream is to get drafted by the Predators.

Because he stayed in Nashville lol

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

If Necas is available, we should do whatever we can to secure him as our 2C. That guy is a wicked player and would be fantastic, especially for a measly $3M. If you package Kuzmenko into it, we'd have to retain 50% on Kuz.

Not great on the draws, though. He averages fewer than 150 FOs a year, with a historic 41.9% win rate. Though the year he took lots of FOs (418) was near his best year for draws, though still only 45.2%. 

Whoever ends up with Markstrom will be disappointed. He almost always breaks down toward the end of the season from overwork. He's also really bad handling the puck outside of his crease. Last year his statistics were the poorest of his NHL career and this year's haven't been appreciably better. His best is behind him.

2 hours ago, Lewlowned said:

If Necas is available, we should do whatever we can to secure him as our 2C. That guy is a wicked player and would be fantastic, especially for a measly $3M. If you package Kuzmenko into it, we'd have to retain 50% on Kuz.

Not great on the draws, though. He averages fewer than 150 FOs a year, with a historic 41.9% win rate. Though the year he took lots of FOs (418) was near his best year for draws, though still only 45.2%. 

The Canucks don't have pieces they'd be willing to part with that would fetch Necas.

8 hours ago, HKSR said:

EDM and TOR are probably knocking down the door to get to Marky.  Neither team has a lot to offer, but I think TOR might have the edge in terms of tradeable assets.

8 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Plus a guy who signed him to his current contract.  :hurhur:

Back before the Zadorov trade I read somewhere that CGY ownership didn't really want to help TML and their new GM. They weren't interested in sending Zadorov to TML all things being equal. 

CGY also might not want to send Marjy only 300 km up Hwy 2 to EDM. But if it's a choice between the two I think Edmonton would be the landing spot for Markstrom. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Back before the Zadorov trade I read somewhere that CGY ownership didn't really want to help TML and their new GM. They weren't interested in sending Zadorov to TML all things being equal. 

CGY also might not want to send Marjy only 300 km up Hwy 2 to EDM. But if it's a choice between the two I think Edmonton would be the landing spot for Markstrom. 

Or Marky ends up in Jersey? 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Or Marky ends up in Jersey? 

Hopefully not. I'd rather him make it to a Canadian team. Time for a Canadian team to win a cup so the more stronger teams we have going into playoffs the better our chances. 

I remember when the Habs won in 93. Never thought it would be 3 decades with no cup back then. I was a young man back then now I'm almost 50.

Need the Cup in the great white north before I get so old that I might not see it happen in my lifetime. 

Edited by WHL rocks

10 hours ago, HKSR said:

Let's take a moment to appreciate the fact we have not had to worry about that position for nearly 2 decades.  Big kudos and respect for Ian Clark.  Thank goodness we kept him.

Here's a reminder of what things looked like in 2005-06 (pre-Luongo, Marky, and Demko):

Alex Auld - 67 GP

Dan Cloutier - 13 GP

Mika Noronen - 4 GP

Maxime Ouellet - 4 GP

Rob Mcvicar - 1 GP

Forgot to add Cory Schnieder in there but ya...it was dim.  Though clouts had some good stretches

10 hours ago, HKSR said:

Let's take a moment to appreciate the fact we have not had to worry about that position for nearly 2 decades.  Big kudos and respect for Ian Clark.  Thank goodness we kept him.

Here's a reminder of what things looked like in 2005-06 (pre-Luongo, Marky, and Demko):

Alex Auld - 67 GP

Dan Cloutier - 13 GP

Mika Noronen - 4 GP

Maxime Ouellet - 4 GP

Rob Mcvicar - 1 GP

Can't forget about Ryan Miller.

Goaltending hasn't been a problem for a long time.

• Like 1