Rutherford views the top 6 as an area of need

Coconuts

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

The main and fundamental issue is players like MOnahan and Lindholm will be fought for by every team in the league based on production v cap hit.

Gotta look elsewhere.  What the team needs is a quality defensively responsible or offensive RHC to move that ladder position from 2c and 3c to help offset the miller petey work load.

Over paying for Lindholm or Monahan is a bad idea

Bjugstad...Henrique (retention)...

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

People are sleeping on Zegras right now as a potential option.  Other options include Fabbri, Rasmussen, Kotkaniemi, Krebs, Glass or even Laughton.  Allvin will want someone who fits that age range or who has term left.  All of these players are semi underperforming or between that 22-29 age range that fits the scenario of needing an additional C/W and age.

Our 1st will 100% be up for grabs and you know that Bruszteweicz or Podkolzin are also options in a package with it and the players I just listed fit the criteria needed.

Zegras is out with injury again, but he'd be interesting otherwise

Could be a buy low option possibly, I think a lot of folks are too quick to write his character off, dude is like 22, it's like some folks forget they also had to grow up and mature once upon a time

Not every young guy is gonna be a mom and pop endearing hockey robot

KK would be interesting but I'd be surprised if Carolina moved him tbh

22 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Bjugstad...Henrique (retention)...

Henrique would be interesting 

Edited by Coconuts

1 hour ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I like the idea of trying Miller with Mik and Kuz. I would have Hoglander up with Petey and Suter centering the 4th (Aman to wing) though. 

I thought of Hogs but he's such a work in progress.  We've seen some really impressive play from him recently but consistency is such a big thing with young players.

FWIW Hogs is a blue chip prospect.  They better not move him for less than a sure thing.  Even so, I would be pissed off if they did.

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

People are sleeping on Zegras right now as a potential option.  Other options include Fabbri, Rasmussen, Kotkaniemi, Krebs, Glass or even Laughton.  Allvin will want someone who fits that age range or who has term left.  All of these players are semi underperforming or between that 22-29 age range that fits the scenario of needing an additional C/W and age.

Our 1st will 100% be up for grabs and you know that Bruszteweicz or Podkolzin are also options in a package with it and the players I just listed fit the criteria needed.

Oh Glass.... if only.... where would we be now....?  🤪

5 hours ago, Tusk said:

so.... you thinking JT is not the center on the lotto line? He is just doing faceoff duty. ok then. You must watch the CBC or the TSN

Haha, no , not all. I am saying Petey is not that strong on faceoffs and Miller does the bulk of them. Monahan is apparently good at face offs so he could help Petey out when needed.

10 hours ago, Tusk said:

I think there is enough time before TDL to maybe put JT on with the ruskies for a few weeks. I bet he can get them going. Leave petey with brock and sub in a bunch of guys on the wing for now.

I really think the Kuz/Petey/Mik was just under-performing. I still think its the right line, but they need a break and then come back together.

This was my suggestion and one of the reasons is that Miller is more chatty wich means he can push the russians better than Petey.

Petey lead by example but they need some pushing for now.

10 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Dhaliwal reported today they're looking for a winger mostly, although I'm sure they won't pass up a great C opportunity if it presents itself. 

So maybe Lekkerimäki comes over for playoffs…

• Cheers 1

LeBrun: How does Canucks’ turnaround impact trade plans, Pettersson talks? Catching up with Jim Rutherford

It’s pretty surreal to think how much has changed in just 12 months for the Vancouver Canucks.

Think back a year. There was a 2-10 stretch that ran from Dec. 29 to Jan. 21. Then a coaching change on Jan. 22. Then the trade of captain Bo Horvat on Jan. 30. And all the while, a lot of angst in a market that’s cornered the market on angst.

One would imagine it’s more enjoyable to walk into the rink now if you’re associated with the Canucks, who have stunned the hockey world in the opening half of 2023-24.

“I don’t want to compare the two situations. It’s not fair,” team president of hockey operations Jim Rutherford told The Athletic this week. “We have a different team. So that’s why it’s not fair to compare the situations.

“What’s happened this year is that (head coach) Rick Tocchet put a system in place that the players have bought into. And each player has accepted their role, whatever different role that may be. We’ve obviously had star, impact players for a while, but we added that good group of character guys that came from winning programs and fit their roles, maybe in the bottom six or as penalty killers or all the different things you need to win games.”

Rutherford paused for a moment before adding: “We have to have everything working for us to do well. And we’ve had that.”

No doubt, there have been contributions coming from everywhere, but it begins with the stars. A healthy Thatcher Demko in net. J.T. Miller and Brock Boeser dazzling. Elias Pettersson and Quinn Hughes having Hart Trophy-caliber seasons. The big boys have brought it.

Thatcher Demko has stepped up his game in 2023-24. (Steph Chambers / Getty Images)

“When I first came here, I felt and I said that I believed these players are even better than what people think,” Rutherford said, responding to those names being listed. “Playing in this system, it’s proven to be accurate.”

But the Hockey Hall of Fame executive was quick to turn the attention back to his core stars’ teammates.

“I hate just pointing out a handful of guys because when you go through our lineup, everyone has contributed in different ways,” Rutherford said.

It’s not been perfect, of course. Andrei Kuzmenko has struggled to join the party this season, with just eight goals and 11 assists and being scratched five times. This, coming off a 39-goal campaign last season, his first in the NHL after coming over as a free agent from the KHL — a performance that netted him a two-year, $11-million extension, signed last Jan. 26.

But to his credit, Kuzmenko hasn’t made waves. And he’s got the agent, Dan Milstein, to make waves if he wants to. Instead, he’s seemingly tried to work his way out of it.

“Well, it would be hard for Kuzmenko to score at the pace he scored last year,” Rutherford said. “His shooting percentage was high (27.3 percent) and things like that. But with that being said, I believe he’s a 30-goal scorer. He’s feeling the pressure this year. But he’s working hard on his game, and I believe the last few weeks he’s doing a good job.

“Hopefully, he can get some breaks here and the pucks start going in and he’ll feel better about himself. But he deserves credit. He’s worked hard to do what the coaches have asked him to do.”

Kuzmenko’s situation has led to trade speculation, but it’s not what the player wants.

“He’s happy in Vancouver and does not want to leave the team,” Milstein told The Athletic on Thursday.

In the meantime, there’s more contract work ahead for Rutherford. As in, the most important contract negotiation of the year awaiting the Canucks.

Pettersson, a restricted free agent this summer, wanted to see how the season played out and size up the Canucks before instructing agent J.P. Barry to dive in on talks with management. That hasn’t happened quite yet.

In the meantime, we’ve had an impactful contract signed, with William Nylander extended on an eight-year, $92 million deal in Toronto. It’s not a perfect comparable, because Nylander is a winger and was a pending unrestricted free agent. Still, it’s the kind of thing that could help move a conversation forward.

“It’s not going to serve anybody well to talk about it publicly, but you know, both sides know where both sides are,” Rutherford said. “There hasn’t been a hurry to do it. There doesn’t have to be. In Nylander’s case, he could have walked in July. In Petey’s case, he’s got another year and a half here (not UFA eligible until July 2025).

“All I can say is, the communication’s been good, from the player’s point of view and the agent’s point of view. It’s been handled really well.”

And what about the March 8 trade deadline? Before going there, here’s a reminder of how busy general manager Patrik Allvin has already been. In a league in which all you hear about from some teams is how impossible it is to make trades in the first half of the season, consider what the Canucks have done since mid-September:

Sept. 19: Traded Tanner Pearson and a 2025 third-round pick to Montreal for Casey DeSmith.

Oct. 8: Traded a 2024 fifth-round pick to Toronto for Sam Lafferty.

Oct. 17: Minor-league deal with Pittsburgh, Jack Rathbone and Karel Plasek for Mark Friedman and Ty Glover.

Nov. 28: Traded Anthony Beauvillier to Chicago for a 2024 fifth-round pick.

Nov. 30: Traded a 2024 fifth-round pick and a 2026 third-rounder to Calgary for Nikita Zadorov.

Dec. 15: Traded Jack Studnicka to San Jose for Nick Cicek and a 2024 sixth-round pick.

The Canucks were busy at a time of year when most teams aren’t.

“We had to be,” Rutherford said. “We had some areas where we needed to get stronger. Patrik worked really hard on it, from July 1 through training camp until we were able to make some moves.

“The strength of the depth in goaltending was important. That’s helped us. Some of the other changes on defense and whatnot … it’s been good. Patrik’s worked hard on it and was able to figure out how to make a few deals to make our team better.”

Rutherford then quickly added: “With that being said, I understand why you hear from other teams saying it’s hard to make deals. I agree with that. It’s very hard.”

They’re not done. The season the Canucks are having suggests they’ll want to add more before the March 8 deadline.

“We’re open to talking about different things,” said Rutherford, one of the NHL’s most active traders in his executive career, “As a general manager, if you’re doing your job, you should be talking to teams on a regular basis, whether you’re in first place or whether you’re in last place. So that’s what Patrik does.”

Areas of need?

“I think as we speak, if we were able to add another top-six forward, that would give us a better chance,” Rutherford said. “And you know, we’ll watch the defense as we go along here. But you know, for the most part our defense has done a pretty good job.”

It’s been a special season so far in Vancouver. No way the Canucks don’t try to reward their group with another add or two. Bank on it.

3 hours ago, 5forFighting said:

Gallagher or Josh Anderson would be nice adds.

Gallagher on the 2nd line

Garland on the 3rd line

Hoglander on the 4th line

That would be something lol.  Not sure what it would look like come playoff time, but would be fun to see haha.  Just call them Santa's Little Helpers.

1 hour ago, Ohthehumanity said:

I've wanted Gally on this team for a long time!

23 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Gallagher on the 2nd line

Garland on the 3rd line

Hoglander on the 4th line

That would be something lol.  Not sure what it would look like come playoff time, but would be fun to see haha.  Just call them Santa's Little Helpers.

6.5aav for another few years, and his production continues to decline. Also 31 already. 

14 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

6.5aav for another few years, and his production continues to decline. Also 31 already. 

I wouldn't want him.  Just think it'd be funny to see those 3 in our lineup lol

• Cheers 1