Rutherford views the top 6 as an area of need

Coconuts

Here comes the Capt. Obvious statement here...I think JR's comment about the top 6 was really about the middle 6. Our latest most successful campaigns included a couple of guys named Samuelsson and Higgins...guys who can slide up and down the top 9 to cover any opening (ie/ injuries etc). If we can land another top 6 then it strengthens our middle 6...I know, obviously...

I just wanted to point that out, as in I didn't think his statement was cause for any concern about our current top 6...they're firing on all 8 cylinders most nights. Anyways, I'll retreat back to the peanut gallery seats...

56 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Tuch wouldn't accept and he's the next Sabres captain to boot.  Also, don't forget, a Canucks first would be more like a 2nd rounder now.  The Canucks are in the big leagues now.

He’s only got 5 teams to veto 😜  

I thought that was a pretty strong offer… he is on a really good contract though and if he’s an integral part of their leadership those guys are harder to move… although it worked out pretty well for us 

Even J-Pat thinks we should "go all in" haha.

Paterson’s Point: It’s clear now that the Vancouver Canucks should go all-in this season 

We should definitely shore up the top/middle 6 centre/wing position...I actually like the D and bottom 6 for playoffs...although another top 4 D and a big bruiser in the bottom 6 would be a wet dream...

It wouldn't be the end of the world if we sent a 1st out the door, plus a "prospect" in order to chase opportunity in the playoffs....we're close, I think we should in the very least, "cautiously" go for it....

2 hours ago, Dizzle said:

He’s only got 5 teams to veto 😜  

I thought that was a pretty strong offer… he is on a really good contract though and if he’s an integral part of their leadership those guys are harder to move… although it worked out pretty well for us 

The Sabres can't afford to move a core player.  The Canucks can and did. 

Round 1 picks historically only have a 50-50 chance of making a career in the NHL.

On 1/12/2024 at 3:50 PM, Coconuts said:

On a line or not, that doesn't change the fact our offense has been top heavy. 

Sorry, can't agree with you on this. It's really easy to go to the NHL Stats page and take a look.

This is "top heavy"

image.thumb.png.3b3942493423996e86b030925c8ba94f.png

This is not:

image.thumb.png.a0f25f3004883a883e9221b716f9f1c9.png

The only other team with 8 players in double digits with goals is New Jersey.

The D core is fine for a year but another minute muncher like Hughes/Hronek would be nice. That’s more long-term goal though. 

If you keep the lotto line intact you need to build a 2nd line. Probably need two pieces with Kuz struggling/possibly on the move

If Petey and Miller are separate you need to find a duo partner for Petey like Miller has with Boeser. 

Good top 6 lines usually have 2 good impact players on it at least. 

I know its a new regime...but is anyone else concerned they are gonna pull a old canucks move and make a move that messes with this team's mojo? Heres to hoping they know how to tinker correctly 🤣

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The Sabres can't afford to move a core player.  The Canucks can and did. 

Round 1 picks historically only have a 50-50 chance of making a career in the NHL.

I think you’re missing the point here… you’re supposed to just agree with me 😅

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, futurefilm said:

I know it’s a new regime...but is anyone else concerned they are gonna pull an old canucks move and make a move that messes with this team's mojo? Heres to hoping they know how to tinker correctly 🤣

Three Cups as a GM for Rutherford and Two for Allvin as an assistant to JR. These two know exactly what it takes to win Cups. They are proven winners. Our coaches are proven Cup winners. 

• ThereItIs 1

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Three Cups as a GM for Rutherford and Two for Allvin as an assistant to JR. These two know exactly what it takes to win Cups. They are proven winners. Our coaches are proven Cup winners. 

Yep.

I wonder if all these rumours we are hearing (Jenner etc) are smoke screens they are leaking to distract from who they really want? 

• ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yep.

I wonder if all these rumours we are hearing (Jenner etc) are smoke screens they are leaking to distract from who they really want? 

We haven’t had this kind of management (snd coaching) ever. These guys know what they’re doing and are really good at it. They built out their management and encouraged people to do their jobs the best they could. 

• ThereItIs 1

My jury is still out on Pius Suter as a bona-fide 2nd line C but I believe Hogger has what it takes for the top 6. 

We have a LOT of wingers, maybe we can use a tip flight 2nd C? I still think one more D is more important as we have great prospects in Podz and Raty.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 2

Just now, Optimist Prime said:

My jury is still out on Pius Suter as a bona-fide 2nd line C but I believe Hogger has what it takes for the top 6. 

We have a LOT of wingers, maybe we can use a tip flight 2nd C? I still think one more D is more important as we have great prospects in Podz and Raty.

Our management is super smart and very experienced. They know what it takes to win. They might see Raty as their future 2C and will fill that spot now with an older rental. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

Makes sense to trade from something resembling depth.

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

IMHO, Suter could do play 2C in short stretches and we'd be fine.  But if the plan is for a championship run, I'd like a better 2C option.  It would be insurance if Pettersson or Miller got hurt too.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

31 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

IMHO, Suter could do play 2C in short stretches and we'd be fine.  But if the plan is for a championship run, I'd like a better 2C option.  It would be insurance if Pettersson or Miller got hurt too.

As mentioned above regarding Suter; he's not a 2nd line centre on a contender. I mean, he is a great get for the organization and is everything we thought he'd be when we acquired him. He's been fine as a temporary 2nd. But a legit 2nd should be a priority if the Lotto line continues to play together.

It seems that legit 2nd liners are a commodity. Sure there's Lindholm and perhaps other pricey options. And any decent ones are older than the median age that JT/PA set forth. I dunno. Perhaps Management has names a on the radar for 2nd line centres that we've not even thought about. (Re-Hronek!)  Also a 2nd would be more longer term than a rental winger Ala Guentzal. 

I sure hope we don't sell the farm on Guentzal. We got a sh*tload o wingers that are waiting to come up. If we're to acquire a winger, I'd rather the other name I heard bandied about; Jordan Greenway. He's no Guentzal, but I believe he can be a piece that'll fit into the fold of our RT coached team and style of play. And he won't cost the farm!

So, getting a legit 2nd line centre keeps the Lotto  line together, but a winger in Jordan Greenway can give us size and physicality for the playoffs. I'm guessing Greenway would be more than useful with JT between him and Flow, or with Petey centering him and one of the Russians or???!??!????? And if the Lotto line is called upon, Greenway can play with Suter in the middle and one of the Russians to give the 2nd line a much needed  physical element.  Pretty much a win, win situation and we get to keep the likes of Pods, Hogs, D-Petey, Hunter Bruzer and any top draft picks deemed a given in a Guentzal acquisition.