Quinn as as Centre

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I suspect it wasn't really that serious of a request. I don't mine Bruce bringing this up. I find it bizarre how many people are all of a sudden not team Bruce anymore. I really think you have to search pretty hard to see ill intent with a story like this.

And is it really all that different than fans here and back on CDC discussing moving Quinn to forward in general? Because that was brought up many times. 

Maybe we can try it down the road. But my volunteer for 4th line RW is Myer's. 

He scoots down to right wing a lot anyways. A big body can eat up a lot of time and space for opposition forwards. He can hit and he is fast. He'd kill on the forecheck.  Hit one of our stars? Turn Myer's loose on the forecheck.  Let him bash whoever is on their end board. Show them what's what. He might be faster than Kenin's too.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Nooks said:

Rachel publicly cementing herself as the most inept person in the history of sports then complaining she didn’t get her McNuggets delivered to her hotel.

what a bratty embarrassment 

Thats who it was for sure, probably one of the reasons she got canned.

This is silly. Could have been the guy who cleans urinals. 
‘You see how many terrible ideas and opinions get posted on this board daily, imagine how many stupid ideas people throw at a NHL coach in a day.
Moving Q to centre last season would have left a bigger hole on our D which was already absolutely terrible last year. 

8 hours ago, Tofu_Bud said:

I would have thought goalie first but whatever

Could you imagine. The opposing team would never be able to play dump and chase. He would skate out of the goal and feed the pass back up the ice so quick that even our defencemen wouldn't have to cross our blue line.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I suspect it wasn't really that serious of a request. I don't mine Bruce bringing this up. I find it bizarre how many people are all of a sudden not team Bruce anymore. I really think you have to search pretty hard to see ill intent with a story like this.

Pretty much this.

It's meant to be a funny anecdote that was a precursor to speak about just how good Hughes has been among all defenceman this season.  It's less of a shot at whoever in the organization suggested this and more of a testament to how well Tocchet and his staff have done to enable players to perform at their best.

And even judging by the former employees who've commented on this (Rachel Doerrie, Chris Gear), it's likely this happened in 21/22 and not 22/23.  The landscape of the team has changed massively since then.

• Upvote 1

It is ado about nothing.  I do not think that Bruce needs to bring this up, could have kept that to himself and move on.  If he really likes the Canucks, he shouldn't bring it up to cause distraction.  Just because they are having much success after he was fired and a quick turnaround with virtually same core tells me that Bruce doesn't really adjust and could not establish a structure that the management asked him to implement.  Now the Canucks have much more structure to their game tells me that Bruce was never all about structure during his entire coaching career.  He was a good offensive coach that couldn't adjust on the fly.

• ThereItIs 1

I don’t mind the occasional quip from guys like Linden, Boudreau, Benning, Gillis, etc, but I take it with a grain of poo because none of these guys are relevant to the Canucks in 2024.

Rutherford, Alvin, Tocchet, Gonchar, Foote, and the twins have taken our core players, surrounded them with complementary pieces, and have turned this team into a championship caliber team.  While I personally don’t think we are at our 2011 level, I do think we are similar to our 2012 team……..which is still pretty damn good.  Unlike 2012 however, my hope is that we have a happier ending.

The only possible “logic” (and I use that term very loosely) in having Quinn as a center (lol) is that you, in “theory” (lol) still have great depth down the middle with Petey and Horvat, but also move Miller back to the wing on one of those lines.  Furthermore, you could then utilize OEL more by making him the primary PMD on the back end (giving him QH’s old #1 spot basically).   

But yeah, this was a bad idea.  Corky Thatcher from Life Goes On must have been working for the Canucks last year.

there's very important missing context to this story. 

when defence is your team's biggest weakness and center depth (pettersson, miller, horvat)  basically the team's only strength, in what scenario is someone suggesting moving your number 1 d-nan to 4th line center?

was it a joke that flew over Bruce's head?

Wow "that's spicy, add some Buffalo sauce" lol.   Personally don't mind that he's sharing the information...it's interesting.   Might as well just name names though.   And it had to be someone who is in a position of power.   Was that because they were working on a Horvat trade?   Our D was already bad.  That would have made it total trash.   Had to have been last season, during Bruce's bump (had he come in two weeks prior, we'd of made the playoffs...Green did win the last two of 3, but two weeks before the media was already saying it would be a mercy killing by then), pretty sure we'd of made it, also pretty sure we'd of done some damage.   COL fans were nervous as heck they'd have to play us in the first round for good reason, our team was on fire, we beat them down the stretch and in convincing fashion.  

Bruce doesn't need to "shut-up".   Glad he coached our team.   His style and his lessons, helped and were part of this groups growing pains.   They know now, that run and gun is something they are capable of.   

Someone might flinch a little about hiring Bruce, for being a little loose lipped, he's near the end of the road now, and maybe TV is where he needs to pasture himself.    Aquaman?  JR?  Or Allvin?   Or a coaching staff .. Can't see it as a coaching staff.  

As an aside, Cliff Ronning 2.0 with extra zip!   He'd make a great center too. 

Edited by IBatch

34 minutes ago, tas said:

there's very important missing context to this story. 

when defence is your team's biggest weakness and center depth (pettersson, miller, horvat)  basically the team's only strength, in what scenario is someone suggesting moving your number 1 d-nan to 4th line center?

was it a joke that flew over Bruce's head?

Context for sure.  I'm guessing it was after our terrible first half last season.   Horvat on the block, media buzz about where he'd end up etc.    And going full tank? 

4 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Pat Quinn had the balls to put Bure on the blueline, so I'm all for the unconventional. 

I thought about this too (power play).   And Federov was used as a defenseman that way as well.   Those two guys, were just so fast, and so good with the puck  

8 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I don’t mind the occasional quip from guys like Linden, Boudreau, Benning, Gillis, etc, but I take it with a grain of poo because none of these guys are relevant to the Canucks in 2024.

Rutherford, Alvin, Tocchet, Gonchar, Foote, and the twins have taken our core players, surrounded them with complementary pieces, and have turned this team into a championship caliber team.  While I personally don’t think we are at our 2011 level, I do think we are similar to our 2012 team……..which is still pretty damn good.  Unlike 2012 however, my hope is that we have a happier ending.

Those guys are intertwined into the how and why we arrived at where we are today.   It's not a terrible thing, that they make a comment here or there.   Linden didn't make any inflammatory comments, just answered a question honestly, and despite having reasons to throw people running our organization under the bus, and his hire suspiciously looking like a deflector shield, and then becoming exactly that during our inevitable downfall and rebuild,  ate shit and acted with class and a professional, and worded his answer thoughtfully.    His ideas, or plan he wanted in place, weren't what Aqua and JB got his boss fired.    Despite having the correct playbook ready.   Linden went around, and acquired the information he needed from other professionals, that it was time to build it the right way.   JB tried to cheat that whenever cap space was available.  

We are extremely fortunate, JB was fired, and Allvin and especially JR were hired.   They are restructuring the organization to be a top club again.    Hopefully, Linden can be part of that again if he chooses to do so.    Agree onward and forward.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

I think it has more to do with the way he was let go and the fact the organization has been so successful since. I think he finds it hard to hear how great the organization is with the way he was handled and so he brings these things up to suggest they aren’t as great as some think they are. He’s got to let it go.

if Bruce was such a great coach and wanted to coach again he would be trying to get better at his craft which obviously lacked structure. Just because you’re older doesn’t mean you can’t learn a few things and change with the times. There is also a big reason he never won a cup. Structure and having a system were never his strong suit. The players loved him as a person but I think they all knew the system and preparation wasn’t great. It’s the first thing the players all mentioned they noticed when Tochett was hired. There weren’t any players unwilling to play after he was fired. They just talked about how good of a person he was.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • ThereItIs 1

On 1/13/2024 at 12:53 AM, -AJ- said:

Once they are gone. It’s like people have no use for them. Horvat was a great person player here and he gets the same treatment . Short memory and what have you done for me now kinda thing 

• Upvote 1

On 1/12/2024 at 8:27 PM, van_can_fan said:

I’m losing respect for Boudreau. This is such a pointless and strange thing to come out with, especially at this point when the team is having all kinds of success after letting you go. 

He was certainly a fan favourite but a few times since being let go he’s handled himself like nothing more than an entitled and disgruntled ex employee. 

I would prefer him to quit talking about the Canucks at this point. 

I agree.

Fuck that fat troll lol