See Ya

Rob Eh

18 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I know I am missing out but I keep my life as simple as I can. I think not running ccards has helped me get ahead too. I give myself an allownace in a way. If I cant afford it , i dont buy it.

Switching to primarily cash transactions has also helped for me as well.  I used to rack up quite a bit of student debt back in the day, and between addressing that and how I ended up making it worse with credit card debt, which then was further complicated by buying a vehicle, it was only recently that I could declare myself debt free.  Moving to cash-primary definitely helped, because there was a sense of "reward" watching those credit card and car loan balances slowly but steadily approach zero.

I'm now much more mindful of where I spend and how I spend, so hopefully until my wife and I decide to buy a place I won't have to saddle a large debt load ever again.  Even then, if our savings permit it (and I'm saving lots now), maybe even skip the mortgage process.  But we don't have to buy a place right away, so we'll just keep saving...

• ThereItIs 2

21 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

uBlock is your friend! Simple Chrome/Mozzila extension.

uBlock is a great option and highly recommended.

Whatever issue you're having Rob Eh is due to your browser or computer. You likely have some sort of malware infection. The ads are in a standardized format, and other than the flat imagery are technically identical.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Ribs said:

uBlock is a great option and highly recommended.

Whatever issue you're having Rob Eh is due to your browser or computer. You likely have some sort of malware infection. The ads are in a standardized format, and other than the flat imagery are technically identical.

Even if you guys did get some add revenue, You guys deserve it..We wouldn't even have a platform if it wasn't for everyone that saved the forum...Having said that I wonder if CDC over there is still faking closing their forum over there still..I'd check but no click from me.

• Like 2

Yes, I've been meaning to talk to you about this. It's highly inappropriate that these ads you put up there for me are all about rubber marital aides and Johnson enlargement creams. This is supposed to be an all-ages website!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

we never carry a balance, we actually have weekly meetings on our home budget. Woo, party. But its really been great for our relationship, we've never even had a hint of a snit over money. 

us too, decided to pay it off in December. Happy as a clam that we did. 

Sort of ironic that several of us lefties, or so we’re likely labelled, are so fiscally conservative. Other than our mortgage and my first car we have never paid a dime for interest on debt. We use credit cards the same way you do and if we can’t pay it off at the end of the month we don’t buy it.

Doubling up on payments whenever possible allowed us to pay off our mortgage early as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 2

17 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Sort of ironic that several of us lefties, or so we’re likely labelled, are so fiscally conservative. Other than our mortgage and my first car we have never paid a dime for interest on debt. We use credit cards the same way you do and if we can’t pay it off at the end of the month we don’t buy it.

Doubling up on payments whenever possible allowed us to pay off our mortgage early as well.

Yep. I think the big difference is we are happy to see our tax money help others.

• Cheers 1

I think i figured out what it is, i used to have Adobe on this laptop and it must not have uninstalled properly. I guess it wasn't @Sabrefan1 after all. (just kidding).

Also someone must have hacked me and made this thread. (just kidding).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

On 1/13/2024 at 10:22 AM, bishopshodan said:

My pc has been naked in the wind for about 10 years.

No protection, no updates, no problem.

That's how I roll. 

Ta-ra, Rob.

Nice, all you need is windows defender

On 1/13/2024 at 12:54 PM, ABNuck said:

2 THINGS:

1/ Deb, how can we contribute financially to keep the site up? Is there a link?

2/ Now, this might just be coincidental (and this is in no way an invitation to hackers on here), BUT...I haven't had a 3rd party virus protection program on my computer in about a decade. I rarely get ad pop ups and don't seem to have any intrusions. The conspiracy Theorist in me believes that the source of most invasions comes from Norton and MacAfee once you install their program...they'll keep you updated against hacks...from them (never invite a vampire into your house). It reminds of one of the opening episodes of Tulsa King when Sylvester Stallone's character bounces into the p-o-t shop to offer his protection services...and the bud-master states that "I didn't need protection until you came along".

Windows defender is all you need

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 5:36 AM, Bort said:

There's a lot to unpack here, even in such a short statement. I'll take a slightly different approach.

So, after waking from a coma you've been in since 1998, a lot has changed. Nothing more important than "learning to adapt." 

One more thing. It's 2024, and one of the biggest changes you'll see is that we don't listen to music on CDs anymore, there's this "app" that people use called Spotify...

AU contraire 

Some of us like to have a physical connection to the music we love. 

Vinyl is making a big comeback.

Some of my friends have massive record collections.

Me I have a huge CD collection, gave my records to a friend who loves records more. 

People used to buy me an I- tunes gift card, then I found out that was buying a record/ CD and only being able to play it on one or two devices.

Never bought, and never will buy an apple product again. 

Streaming music maybe good for the consumer, however it's sucks for the musicians that create the music.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

AU contraire 

Me I have a huge CD collection, gave my records to a friend who loves records more. 

People used to buy me an I- tunes gift card, then I found out that was buying a record/ CD and only being able to play it on one or two devices.

Streaming music maybe good for the consumer, however it's sucks for the musicians that create the music.

Vinyl records with their artwork and lyric sheets are the greatest. 

Just like you described; a real connection with the music.

Un-sleeving , placing on the platter, cuing it up and dropping the needle. 
Vinyl has a real warmth and depth to its sound. Hours spent listening while exploring the amazing album covers artwork. 

Joe Walsh prefers it too.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

Vinyl records with their artwork and lyric sheets are the greatest. 

Just like you described; a real connection with the music.

Un-sleeving , placing on the platter, cuing it up and dropping the needle. 
Vinyl has a real warmth and depth to its sound. Hours spent listening while exploring the amazing album covers artwork. 

Joe Walsh prefers it too.

One of my all time favourite records covers 

The UK Subs endangered Species.

https://uksubsmusic.bandcamp.com/album/endangered-species-2

Bloody fantastic record if you are an old punker.

It was hard to give this one away, however my friend loves records even more than me. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

One of my all time favourite records covers 

The UK Subs endangered Species.

https://uksubsmusic.bandcamp.com/album/endangered-species-2

Bloody fantastic record if you are an old punker.

It was hard to give this one away, however my friend loves records even more than me. 

Part of the thrill of buying vinyl in the early days were the covers and inserts, checking out the photos, artwork and liner notes. There used to be a lot packed into albums.

IMG_0796.jpeg

IMG_0792.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, Ilunga said:

AU contraire 

You missed the joke entirely.

That's on you, not me.

10 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Part of the thrill of buying vinyl in the early days were the covers and inserts, checking out the photos, artwork and liner notes. There used to be a lot packed into albums.

For me it was the surgical precision needed to go to the third song first.

Training for Operation.

• Vintage 1

Gi

20 hours ago, 4petesake said:

IMG_0796.jpeg

IMG_0792.jpeg

Total girlie confession.... I bought the Cat Stevens album Teaser and The Firecat SOLELY for the picture inside.... had no pictures of my summer boyfriend that year but he looked exactly like the Cat Stevens pic inside the gatefold!! And I shan't apologize for it, neither! It DID make me a CS fan for more than just Morning Has Broken, though.

cat-stevens-teaser-and-the-firecat-inside.webp.dac047e9c96811340b00341c7c409732.webp

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

Gi

Total girlie confession.... I bought the Cat Stevens album Teaser and The Firecat SOLELY for the picture inside.... had no pictures of my summer boyfriend that year but he looked exactly like the Cat Stevens pic inside the gatefold!! And I shan't apologize for it, neither! It DID make me a CS fan for more than just Morning Has Broken, though.

cat-stevens-teaser-and-the-firecat-inside.webp.dac047e9c96811340b00341c7c409732.webp

My sister had that picture on her wall for the same exact reason. Looked just like her boyfriend too, who had his foot in a cast while they were dating. My dad detested him and his long hair and always called him  “Christ on crutches.” :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

On 1/13/2024 at 8:58 AM, Gurn said:

giphy.gif.f1fc94a2cbe8a1fb1e3803cd5b36dbb0.gif

On 1/13/2024 at 9:32 AM, bishopshodan said:

Hahaha.

Online banking, me? that might make my wife faint out of shock. 

No social media ( other than this CFF), no online shopping, no cloud, no banking, nothin.

I am such a cash man that I didn't get a credit card until i was about 30 and that was just my wife 'adding' me to hers.

Had to get a credit line that I barely used, to build up my credit score, found out no-score is bad ( dunno why).

hehe, yeah, I learned trying to buy my first house that for some reason to lend me money, i needed to have someone previously lend me money. O.o

Then I learned more and built my credit score by their rules to an incredible high. Took all my regular bills, worked out their annual totals and divided by number of days in a year we had income drip into the accounts. Added 5 bucks to that payday 'payment' and in no time at all I was three months ahead on every bill. On top of that, i used and paid off credit cards every month, to again build that score. That was like 2 decades ago. Now my credit score with trans union, for instance, is near the tip top. More importantly I don't owe anyone anything aside from a bit of mortgage that will be gone in roughly 4 more years. I view it as playing by their rules, but not the way they would like me to. Prepaid almost 75k of my mortgage last fiscal and on track to hit 50kish this fiscal. By renewal time I will owe less than they typically will consider a mortgage for, so might have to take 40k back from the bank and build a garage. Maybe a solar tile roof. Shrug. 

wait, what were we talking about here?

Ohhh ads! hehe... I think it is hilarious 30 years ago everyone was worried about big brother: now we pay for little brother pods, rush home and plug them in to play a song for us and tell us the weather outside our windows and not a care in the world about big brother listening in. Yet if I say "Oh hey honey, can you remind me i need toothpaste next time I head out" I will see a Crest Ad somewhere around the interweb within hours. hahaha...what a wonderful world. Oh and my usual admonishment about big brother, coming from that industry in a way. My dad was somewhat paranoid that the government was able to spy on him and worried about doing anything online. I had to let him know, generally, I was one of 400 people with the highest security clearance in Canada while so employed and even with maybe 2000 more helpers, that is only 2500 folks looking out for all of Canada's interests from network security to foriegn powers interference to gangs and crimes and what ever else have you. No one has the time or will to look into what a 70 year old man is doing on the internet at 4am, and if anyone did they would soon be bored relative to the incredibly important 12 hours of work they have to try to fit into a shift somehow while protecting Canada, our businesses and our citizens. In short: no one cares that you think you are being naughty on the net, unless your being destructively naughty on the net. Don't do crimes and you will be just fine. 

That being said, folks that can't handle a few ads probably are in for a rough century. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

On 1/13/2024 at 7:21 AM, Bob Long said:

You need to install an ad blocker. The one I use is called AdBlock. It's free. Works great.

I prefer uBlock Origin - but AdBlock is good too.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1