Hoping for a Nucks vs Jets Western Conference final

I live in The Peg now, but still am a Nucks fan and follow them more. I’m in my late 50’s and really only became a Canuck fan during the Linden, Bure, Odjick years. My exwife was/is from LA, where we also lived….I’m originally from Van. And she also became a Canucks fan when we were together. I was lucky one day to have Bure and Gino autograph a wallet photo I had of her, for her cause they were her faves. If the Jets and Nucks make it to the Western final I’m rooting for the Nucks, but hope all players from both teams come out healthy win or lose. CHEERS!

Edited by Bretzky
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

56 minutes ago, Bretzky said:

I live in The Peg now, but still am a Nucks fan and follow them more. I’m in my late 50’s and really only became a Canuck fan during the Linden, Bure, Odjick years. My exwife was/is from LA, where we also lived….I’m originally from Van. And she also became a Canucks fan when we were together. I was lucky one day to have Bure and Gino autograph a wallet photo I had of her, for her cause they were her faves. If the Jets and Nucks make it to the Western final I’m rooting for the Nucks, but hope all players from both teams come out healthy win or lose. CHEERS!

Love this, thanks for sharing. Hard to go wrong with those two....had the great pleasure of meeting them both a couple of times. Super cordial and back then my son was young and it was a big thrill for him. Got his picture taken with Bure...was a big moment and he was completely star struck.

That would be a good match up...Winnipeg has scared me as a big, tough team. But I think this team has learned to play a game that has them compete with anyone. Adding Soucy, Zadorov, Cole, Lafferty etc. makes us a little bit bigger and not as easy to play against. Miller, Joshua and Myers round it out nicely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bretzky said:

5 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Love this, thanks for sharing. Hard to go wrong with those two....had the great pleasure of meeting them both a couple of times. Super cordial and back then my son was young and it was a big thrill for him. Got his picture taken with Bure...was a big moment and he was completely star struck.

That would be a good match up...Winnipeg has scared me as a big, tough team. But I think this team has learned to play a game that has them compete with anyone. Adding Soucy, Zadorov, Cole, Lafferty etc. makes us a little bit bigger and not as easy to play against. Miller, Joshua and Myers round it out nicely.

I've got a good story about Gino and Pavel too.

My mom was taking my grandma out somewhere along Hastings in Burnaby back in the early 90s and they were talking and walking along the street right near Anton's (the pasta place) when a red Dodge Stealth was parallel parking.  Whoever was driving was not very good at parallel parking, so my mom was kinda watching the attempt lol.  Anyways, finally parked, and out of the passenger side comes Gino Odjick!  My mom LOVED Gino so recognized him right away and asked if she could get an autograph and Gino happily obliged.  In the hoopla of it all and being star struck, my mom didn't look at the driver at all until Gino yelled over the car at the driver "PASHA!"  Who else was it but Pavel Bure.  He came over and my mom stuttered "OH!  You're... you're Pavel Bure!"  Bure laughed and signed his autograph as well before heading into Anton's for lunch 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Even old drunk Alf has a (albeit small) soft spot for the Jets. Liked Big Buff as a Jet. That and Winnipeg has “Garbage Hill”. 

The Peg has grown into my "2nd" team.  From having our farm team there, to the ex Canucks coaches there currently and my mrs' being from there.  I've been bugging her to take me to "Garbage Hill" but have yet to see it.  Sounds fun.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

My mom was taking my grandma out somewhere along Hastings in Burnaby back in the early 90s and they were talking and walking along the street right near Anton's (the pasta place) when a red Dodge Stealth was parallel parking.  Whoever was driving was not very good at parallel parking, so my mom was kinda watching the attempt lol.  Anyways, finally parked, and out of the passenger side comes Gino Odjick!  My mom LOVED Gino so recognized him right away and asked if she could get an autograph and Gino happily obliged.  In the hoopla of it all and being star struck, my mom didn't look at the driver at all until Gino yelled over the car at the driver "PASHA!"  Who else was it but Pavel Bure.  He came over and my mom stuttered "OH!  You're... you're Pavel Bure!"  Bure laughed and signed his autograph as well before heading into Anton's for lunch 

Sorry new at this and didn’t know how to post a reply under a quoted comment.

My ex and I were eating dinner at Anton’s and Cliff Ronning was also one time, by himself,  but we decided to leave him alone to chow down. I grew up playing lacrosse and ice hockey against him, he was really good at both! I played for Coquitlam, he played for Burnaby. 
And I got Pavel and Gino’s autographs when they were together in the original Shark Club, in the daytime, one afternoon. I couldn’t resist and they weren’t eating at the time, so I approached them with her photo and explained they were both her favourite hockey players before asking them to sign it. They liked her pic, haha, and happily obliged…nice guys!

Edited by Bretzky
  • Like 2

I want us to play the Oilers or Kraken, but Jets would be great too.  I just want some exciting opponents.

I have a feeling we will win the cup by going through, Preds, Kings, Stars, Hurricanes.  

• Haha 1

That would be awesome but my goodness, the Western Conference is stacked at the top JETS, CANUCKS, AVS, KNIGHTS, KINGS, OILERS...it will not be an easy road to the Conference final. The two teams that get there will in all likelihood have already played 14 games each...it will be a battle of attrition for sure.

3 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

I want us to play the Oilers or Kraken, but Jets would be great too.  I just want some exciting opponents.

I have a feeling we will win the cup by going through, Preds, Kings, Stars, Hurricanes.  

Will the Hurricanes be using their Zamboni driver as their goalie by then? Man, that organization sure is hard on it's goalies.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

My mom was taking my grandma out somewhere along Hastings in Burnaby back in the early 90s and they were talking and walking along the street right near Anton's (the pasta place) when a red Dodge Stealth was parallel parking.  Whoever was driving was not very good at parallel parking, so my mom was kinda watching the attempt lol.  Anyways, finally parked, and out of the passenger side comes Gino Odjick!  My mom LOVED Gino so recognized him right away and asked if she could get an autograph and Gino happily obliged.  In the hoopla of it all and being star struck, my mom didn't look at the driver at all until Gino yelled over the car at the driver "PASHA!"  Who else was it but Pavel Bure.  He came over and my mom stuttered "OH!  You're... you're Pavel Bure!"  Bure laughed and signed his autograph as well before heading into Anton's for lunch 🙂 

Love these player/fan stories! Here’s mine.

My wife and I were having lunch at David’s Pub in Edmonton which was a bit of an Oilers hangout back in their glory years when 8 or 10 guys came in and sat in a large booth directly behind us. As longtime Canuck fans I started whispering to her “there’s Paul Coffey, that one is Kevin Lowe and beside him is Dave Semenko…” She interrupts me and says something quietly like “ugh, Semenko, I can’t stand that big goof!” Thereis a giant burst of laughter from the seat closest to her and the guy turns around laughing. “Honey, I’d like to introduce you to Dave Hunter” was all I could think to say.🤫

*we got to meet Semenko a few years later and he was a nice, humble but quiet guy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bretzky said:

Would be pretty cool.  The winner of such a series then go onto defeat the Leafs in the finals.  

I would be down with a Vancouver Winnipeg conference final. I'm also in the same boat of having a bit of a soft spot for the Jets. That fan base lost a team and it took forever for them to get one back.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

I would be down with a Vancouver Winnipeg conference final. I'm also in the same boat of having a bit of a soft spot for the Jets. That fan base lost a team and it took forever for them to get one back.

It was actually after Winnipeg got an NHL team again that truly helped me decide moving to live there would be tolerable…especially in the winter 😉 Other than that it’s very affordable compared to living in Vancouver. Although I  really miss living on the the west coast! In my adult years I always lived in the downtown area, and what a back yard! Oh I liked to fish alot too…for salmon, halibut, crab, trout, and the funnest of all STEELHEAD trout river fishing!

Edited by Bretzky
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Looking at the Jets line up, I still don’t quite fully comprehend as to why they’re doing so well.  Ditto for Boston.  

I knew Winnipeg would be good but I’ll have to admit that I completely and utterly underestimated them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Looking at the Jets line up, I still don’t quite fully comprehend as to why they’re doing so well.  Ditto for Boston.  

I knew Winnipeg would be good but I’ll have to admit that I completely and utterly underestimated them.

Me too! Especially with Kyle Conner injured.

Edited by Bretzky

6 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

And I'm sure the rest of the league is looking at us and going "how the fuck are they doing this well?".

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, BCNeil said:

We will get oilers in the first round. Maybe Vegas and then Winnipeg....... then hopefully Toronto cashes in a bunch of miracles and we get them for the Final!

17 minutes ago, Tusk said:

We will get oilers in the first round. Maybe Vegas and then Winnipeg....... then hopefully Toronto cashes in a bunch of miracles and we get them for the Final!

Oilers are the one team that I fear facing in Round One.  I don’t mind playing them in any other round since all bets are off as far as tough opponents go, but Oilers will be dangerous.  After an awful start, the Oilers have been playing like an elite team and have made up a LOT of ground.  They are nipping at LA’s ball sack as we speak (3 points out).  

I hope Edmonton and Vegas draw each other in the first round.  I’d love to play LA, Nashville, or Seattle.  I hope we avoid St Louis and Edmonton.

8 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Oilers are the one team that I fear facing in Round One.  I don’t mind playing them in any other round since all bets are off as far as tough opponents go, but Oilers will be dangerous.  After an awful start, the Oilers have been playing like an elite team and have made up a LOT of ground.  They are nipping at LA’s ball sack as we speak (3 points out).  

I hope Edmonton and Vegas draw each other in the first round.  I’d love to play LA, Nashville, or Seattle.  I hope we avoid St Louis and Edmonton.

Now Oilers 1 point back.  Over the last 8 games, both the Oilers and Kraken have gained 12 points on the Kings.  

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I have a feeling that Edmonton will overtake LAK for 3rd place since they have played same number of games  LAK will have to keep their pace and their losing streak doesn't really look good.  If they could keep on the pace, they would not have to play against the Canucks in first round and they are too far behind Vancouver now, 8 points up to 2nd place Vegas.  Again, I'm hoping for Seattle for first round, they are also on a hot streak.  The reason why I want Seattle is to have a rivalry going for first round win or lose.    Pacific Division is going to be a dogfight for 3rd place.

• Cheers 1