Hoping for a Nucks vs Jets Western Conference final

46 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

And I'm sure the rest of the league is looking at us and going "how the fuck are they doing this well?".

The Canucks’ core have always had a lot of the right pieces in the right places however.

-Franchise Center:  Pettersson

-Franchise Defenseman: Hughes

-Franchise Goalie: Demko

-1st line calibre winger: Boeser/Kuzmenko (switched spots basically)

-2nd line match-ups center: Miller/Horvat

I would argue that since the bubble, more teams should have been saying, “How the fuck are they doing so poorly?” (to which, the answers are any combination of poor management, misguided coaching, various core players battling through injuries/personal obstacles, etc). 

Long story short - We’ve had the right pieces in the right places for many years now and should and would have taken off after the surprise bubble playoffs if our current coaching and management had been here.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

The Canucks’ core have always had a lot of the right pieces in the right places however.

I would argue that since the bubble, more teams should have been saying, “How the fuck are they doing so poorly?” (to which, the answers are any combination of poor management, misguided coaching, various core players battling through injuries/personal obstacles, etc). 

Long story short - We’ve had the right pieces in the right places for many years now and should and would have taken off after the surprise bubble playoffs if our current coaching and management had been here.

You've got me there. Not really anything I can argue.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

This is where people need to give JR, Allvin, and co. credit for what they've done in such a short amount of time. They did nothing other than assess and evaluate in their first year. They went all in on this core and look what they've done to build around the star pieces. 

We're seriously fortunate to have these guys come in and do exactly what we all knew needed to be done. 

This feels special.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

This is where people need to give JR, Allvin, and co. credit for what they've done in such a short amount of time. They did nothing other than assess and evaluate in their first year. They went all in on this core and look what they've done to build around the star pieces. 

We're seriously fortunate to have these guys come in and do exactly what we all knew needed to be done. 

This feels special.

It’s not unreasonable at all for one to believe that we have the best President, GM, and coaching staff in the entire league.  Alvin is on the same level as Joe Sakic as far as I’m concerned.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

It’s not unreasonable at all for one to believe that we have the best President, GM, and coaching staff in the entire league.  Alvin is on the same level as Joe Sakic as far as I’m concerned.

Exactly. i stopped short of mentioning this. Glad you brought it up. People go on and on and on about both Sakic and Yzerman and what Allvin has done is remarkable. He's most definitely at that level. We just need to finish the job and get the Cup!

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Bretzky said:

I live in The Peg now, but still am a Nucks fan and follow them more. I’m in my late 50’s and really only became a Canuck fan during the Linden, Bure, Odjick years. My exwife was/is from LA, where we also lived….I’m originally from Van. And she also became a Canucks fan when we were together. I was lucky one day to have Bure and Gino autograph a wallet photo I had of her, for her cause they were her faves. If the Jets and Nucks make it to the Western final I’m rooting for the Nucks, but hope all players from both teams come out healthy win or lose. CHEERS!

WNP and VAN had some epic battles in the early 90's.   Pretty sure we had a club record, for most PIM's in a game against them once, a few hundred (maybe in one period?  ... it was a battle to say the least).    Some of our guys fought 2-3 times.    Beating them and Housley and co, for sure created some good old fashioned hate.   WNP had a good team as well.  Selanne, Tckchuk, Steen, a whole bunch of lunch pail guys that worked their butts off, just like our team.    CAL and WNP, were must watch games back then. 

Edited by IBatch

4 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Exactly. i stopped short of mentioning this. Glad you brought it up. People go on and on and on about both Sakic and Yzerman and what Allvin has done is remarkable. He's most definitely at that level. We just need to finish the job and get the Cup!

Yzerman also had an amazing base.   Sakic traded a couple Horvat level guys and absolutely was a wizard.  

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, IBatch said:

WNP and VAN had some epic battles in the early 90's.   Pretty sure we had a club record, for most PIM's in a game against them once, a few hundred (maybe in one period?  ... it was a battle to say the least).    Some of our guys fought 2-3 times.    Beating them and Housley and co, for sure created some good old fashioned hate.   WNP had a good team as well.  Selanne, Tckchuk, Steen, a whole bunch of lunch pail guys that worked their butts off, just like our team.    CAL and WNP, were must watch games back then. 

Ah yes I remember, Tie Domi and his cement head that looked as though it hurt more to land punches on. Both teams were definitely a good ol’ fashion rivalry at the time.

Edited by Bretzky
  • Cheers 1

Geez, I mentioned getting some autographs and seeing Cliff Ronning seated near me at a restaurant but I also just remembered bumping into Markus Naslund once waiting at a Kitsilano crosswalk light. I believe he was with 1 or 2 small children and I was by myself, I just smiled at him when we made eye contact and said “Number 19”….He smiled back and nodded then we all carried on our way.

Edited by Bretzky
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Bretzky said:

Geez, I mentioned getting some autographs and seeing Cliff Ronning seated near me at a restaurant but I also just remembered bumping into Markus Naslund once waiting at a Kitsilano crosswalk light. I believe he was with 1 or 2 small children and I was by myself, I just smiled at him when we made eye contact and said “Number 19”….He smiled back and nodded then we all carried on our way.

That's a classy way to meet your idol's/hockey hero's.   Did the same thing at Disney World with Kesler and his family.   Just looked like an ordinary Dad, I was resting on a bench, he also had a "not so fast - fast pass", waiting in line, in the early 2010's.    He saw me staring, winked, I grinned gave him the thumbs up and didn't bother him.   Had a similar experience meeting George "Seinfeld" at the Jaws cliff in a farmers pineapple field in Maui.   Didn't bug him, was with his family, but did record him a bit with the camcorder, gaggle of kids in a mini-van and his Olive Oil replica wife lol.   He looks just like TV, goofy grin.    Met Demko in the beer line while he was injured playing in Laval ... Bro asked "how you feeling?"  Demko in his light salmon suit "almost ready to go" ... 

As fans I think it's important to remember these guys sacrifice a normal life in society.   If you can't go to a deserted trespassing, farmers pineapple field without getting recognized ... and I barely watched any Seinfeld.  

Edited by IBatch

43 minutes ago, Bretzky said:

Ah yes I remember, Tie Domi and his cement head that looked as though it hurt more to land punches on. Both teams were definitely a good ol’ fashion rivalry at the time.

Tie Domi, King, Manson earlier ... they always had someone back then plus a group of tough players.   Domi for sure could take a punch and for sure broke some knuckles on that forehead and jaw.