Report - Canucks express interest in Sharks Prospect Alexander Chmelevski

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Other NHL teams are looking at him, but if the Canucks want him, I think they would

have a decent chance.  If he's as good as what Matches has said, I would think the

Sharks would want something decent in return.

I wonder if the Nucks could sign him to a 'show me' contract for the rest of the

season (or extended through next season).  Even then, the Nucks would need to

clear some cap space.

It's certainly worth it to the Canucks to find out what the bottom line if for Chmelevski.

Chmelevski would be an upgrade on Aman. If we are keeping Suter as the 2C then Chmelevski could be our 4C for now. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Coryberg said:

Did Robert Thomas and Jordan Kyrou die in a horrible plane crash yesterday?

It's like comparing someone like Datsyuk vs Zetterberg or Marchand vs Bergeron.  Hell, even Milsy vs Petey.  I prefer the two-way player.

51 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah I totally forgot Goldobin came to North America early. I guess he just never learned how to play defence. 

Two of the greatest two way forwards to ever play the game came directly from Russia. Sergei Fedorov and Pavel Datsyuk. 

No love for poor Mogilny

Edited by Miss Korea
  • Like 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

It's like comparing someone like Datsyuk vs Zetterberg or Marchand vs Bergeron.  Hell, even Milsy vs Petey.  I prefer the two-way player.

No love for poor Mogilny

I watched Mogilny play his whole career. He was better later on but definitely not anywhere near Fedorov or Datsyuk. 

Bure was a beast on the penalty kill. One of only a handful of players where the opposition had to be mindful of where he was at all times. If he ever stole the puck he was off to the races. The most short handed goals in Canucks history. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

No love for poor Mogilny

Mogilny was an awesome player.. watched him closely since his Buffalo days.. one of my favorite players.

When Mogilny and Bure were both Canucks Province Sports did a poll on which one of the two Cancuks fans would rather keep and which one trade.. 

Mogilny was voted as the keeper over Bure.. 

Great player.  

Born in California; played Jrs in OHL and then drafted by Sharks.  He apparently didn't

want to sign with the Sharks because they are rebuilding.  He wants to play on a team

that has good players and a winning record.

I would assume that his contract with his Russian team ends at the end of the season.

15 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Mogilny was an awesome player.. watched him closely since his Buffalo days.. one of my favorite players.

When Mogilny and Bure were both Canucks Province Sports did a poll on which one of the two Cancuks fans would rather keep and which one trade.. 

Mogilny was voted as the keeper over Bure.. 

Great player.  

I had the good fortune of witnessing Mogilny as a Canuck from a press box. Watching him from that view was like, "Holy sh*t! It's as if he sees the ice as we're seeing it up here." That's exactly what I said to my bud next to me.

He was the real deal for sure.

13 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Born in California; played Jrs in OHL and then drafted by Sharks.  He apparently didn't

want to sign with the Sharks because they are rebuilding.  He wants to play on a team

that has good players and a winning record.

I would assume that his contract with his Russian team ends at the end of the season.

Yep! That's us.

2 hours ago, Alexandre said:

I have done my research on this player reading this forum. I like Sasha. Allvin will get it done.

I'm glad you did, 'cuz I've done zero research. I do say this though...........

Do we really need this guy? We've got wingers up the ying yang. Guys like Pods, Bains, McDonough, etc at the ready if needed as depth call ups for the playoffs; Dries, Karlsson, already with experience on the big club. 

Basically I'm saying......Do we need to even bother?!??!?!?!? I mean, I can't see this dude moving the needle. Maybe as another NHL experienced depth guy. I dunno. I know he'd be a cheap get, but as I mentioned earlier, we've winger depth.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Sativika said:

I had the good fortune of witnessing Mogilny as a Canuck from a press box. Watching him from that view was like, "Holy sh*t! It's as if he sees the ice as we're seeing it up here." That's exactly what I said to my bud next to me.

He was the real deal for sure.

Yep! That's us.

I'm glad you did, 'cuz I've done zero research. I do say this though...........

Do we really need this guy? We've got wingers up the ying yang. Guys like Pods, Bains, McDonough, etc at the ready if needed as depth call ups for the playoffs; Dries, Karlsson, already with experience on the big club. 

Basically I'm saying......Do we need to even bother?!??!?!?!? I mean, I can't see this dude moving the needle. Maybe as another NHL experienced depth guy. I dunno. I know he'd be a cheap get, but as I mentioned earlier, we've winger depth.

He's a 24yo right-handed centre. We don't have a single rhc, so he's a very big need for us. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

He is American, isn't he? He just has Russian roots, but is American. 

18 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He would be American. Just Russian-American

Probably 2nd or 3rd generation with father/grandfather immigrating to the US. 

He’s actually of Ukrainian ancestry.

Born in Cali and is a US citizen.

But would Ukrainian-American, not Russian-American