[PGT] Vancouver @ Buffalo

Miss Korea

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

OK, but surely there must be a way of doing this a bit more consistently? 

I have no issues with the refs having to find a way to settle down the goon stuff and making the call on Miller in isolation, but other plays like when Petey got screwed in OT vs the Rangers, that stuff should be reviewable. 

I dont think the league has ever been this consistent.  I think we tend to forget how things used to be.  

If you want across the board consistency, then they'll have to mechanism officiating and that will completely ruin the game.

Refs are people, no two people are the same and no two refs are going to call the game the same.  It's never going to happen

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

No one "made anything up".  That's just stupid

Elbowing was definitely a made up call. they reviewed it from all angles in slow mo and called elbowing.

image.png.8bca813292e2a6c0817818cb7388c618.png

They couldn't call nothing and he didn't warrant a 5min on the play. I'll take the 2min. 

as Deb said 

21 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

It's them making stuff up that bugs me.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

welcome to the new NHL game management policy. I get that the ref's had to control that game to keep it from really going out of hand, so I'm not upset that Miller got a penalty to settle things down. 

Just wish the league had better consistency on the game management rules. Because from team to team, game to game, I have no idea what to expect on calls like this. 

Right. I have no issue with Miller's penalty (WADR to @-dlc-, refs occasionally assign the wrong penalty name to the situation, but when it's a minor, it doesn't really matter). The penalty, and the fight later with Johnson should have been the end of it.  But since little was done by the refs to keep the Sabres in check, they had no incentive to tone down any extra-curricular activities.

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Hammertime said:

Elbowing was definitely a made up call. they reviewed it from all angles in slow mo and called elbowing.

image.png.8bca813292e2a6c0817818cb7388c618.png

They couldn't call nothing and he didn't warrant a 5min on the play. I'll take the 2min. 

as Deb said 

Be glad that's what they called it.  Hit to the head would have been 2 and 10.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Samuelson...

Thats why Buff was so pissed. They considered it an elbow to the head.

It's what started everything.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articles/amp/buffalo_sabres_mattias_samuelsson_exits_game_vs_canucks_with_upper_body_injury/s1_16958_39811552

The Buffalo Sabres announced that defenseman Mattias Samuelsson would not return to today’s matinee game against the Vancouver Canucks.

Samuelsson took an elbow to the head from Canucks defenseman Filip Hronek.

Hi actually didn't get the elbow up. Again....still shots tell the story (I won't bother).

So a guy can't go for a puck because another guys leaning in, trying for it too? Another reach that backfired.

2 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Right. I have no issue with Miller's penalty (WADR to @-dlc-, refs occasionally assign the wrong penalty name to the situation, but when it's a minor, it doesn't really matter). The penalty, and the fight later with Johnson should have been the end of it.  But since little was done by the refs to keep the Sabres in check, they had no incentive to tone down any extra-curricular activities.

The canicks were just as chippy to begin with, sometimes that's how games go.  I can't imagine anyone thinking that game was even remotely out of control.  It got a little rough, a little chippy, big deal

4 minutes ago, Kragar said:

The reason it does matter is an elbow implies someone's targeting high and that rep can stick....but that wasn't the case. Dahlin stretched out/reached and JT wasn't going high on him. His own body positioning put him in a vulnerable state. 

Nothing dirty there (at all) and roughing seems more appropriate. JT went in for a good, solid hit.

Greenway, however....was intentionally dirty/a cheap shot after the goal. And that was....let go. "Subjective"

The fact that they can't determine what to call speaks volumes to me in "maybe there's nothing there TO call then?"

I just hated the inconsistency. If you call that, sure....but call the post whistle high slams our players took or it's lopsided and advantageous to one team. Which it was.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I dont think the league has ever been this consistent.  I think we tend to forget how things used to be.  

If you want across the board consistency, then they'll have to mechanism officiating and that will completely ruin the game.

Refs are people, no two people are the same and no two refs are going to call the game the same.  It's never going to happen

If true, you will have to accept that bias can occur.

4 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Bingo. The Miller call in isolation was ok, but they blew it on subsequent calls.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Hi actually didn't get the elbow up. Again....still shots tell the story (I won't bother).

So a guy can't go for a puck because another guys leaning in, trying for it too? Another reach that backfired.

Hi

I'm not saying Hronek threw an elbow.

I am saying Buff and their media still thought he did ( was some contact to the head) and that's what set off the bad intentions.

19 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

It was attempt a high hit heaven last night.

We're lucky to get out of there without any major injuries. 

Who was the Buff player that got slighty clipped early on and didn't come back? I think that's where the beef started. 

Yeah, but it was his own doing, wasn't it? Hronek charging to the net, and Samuelsson leading with his head, coming at Hronek from outside his view.

I can see the fans getting upset, but it's easy to see in all the replays TV viewers get that it was not Hronek's fault. If the Sabres ramp up their aggressiveness as a result, that's on them, and the refs should have done better to keep things from blowing over.

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

Two things here:

Your first part? That, again, is "whataboutism". "What about how things used to be?" But we're not supposed to care, remember? The double standard is NHL ref level here.

Also, it's not about different refs/different games.....we're talking the same refs applying different standards in the same game. 

"It's never going to happen" ... exact words you used to me to tell me JT wasn't going to be here. I don't buy what you sell.

2 minutes ago, Kragar said:

If the Sabres ramp up their aggressiveness as a result, that's on them, and the refs should have done better to keep things from blowing over.

I agree.

My only point was that this is where the beef begun. Buff saw one of their dudes get removed from the game with contact to the head...made them mad. Even if they didnt have a leg to stand on. 

Edit: this is why Greenway 'paid back' Lafferty imo

Edited by bishopshodan

Just now, Bob Long said:

So how can we tell the difference between a mistake and a biased ref?

Cough, Sutherland.

That is and always has been a part of the game.  Again, this is the best it's ever been.

I like that refs have personality and bias.  It adds another dimension to the game.  We always knew who was reffing our games and how they felt about us as a team and as individuals........it made things more interesting 

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I agree.

My only point was that this is where the beef begun. Buff saw one of their dudes get removed from the game with contact to the head...made them mad. Even if they didnt have a leg to stand on. 

Edit: this is why Greenway 'paid back' Lafferty imo

And that's hockey

• Cheers 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

So how can we tell the difference between a mistake and a biased ref?

Cough, Sutherland.

Bottom line is: we're the paying customers here. We fork out good money for these games and if this is something the refs get to "weigh in on" rather than "call", it matters to some of us.

We want the rule book to mean something. And bias NOT to come into play. Refs wanting to prove something or maybe harbouring their own personal grudges. Sometimes players get pissed and spew stuff....so a ref can bring that along?

Referee: an official who watches a game or match closely to ensure that the rules are adhered to

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, stawns said:

That is and always has been a part of the game.  Again, this is the best it's ever been.

I like that refs have personality and bias.  It adds another dimension to the game.  We always knew who was reffing our games and how they felt about us as a team and as individuals........it made things more interesting 

I guess that's where we differ. Would you really be ok with a team winning a cup that way?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

Bottom line is: we're the paying customers here. We fork out good money for these games and if this is something the refs get to "weigh in on" rather than "call", it matters to some of us.

We want the rule book to mean something. And bias NOT to come into play. Refs wanting to prove something or maybe harbouring their own personal grudges. Sometimes players get pissed and spew stuff....so a ref can bring that along?

Referee: an official who watches a game or match closely to ensure that the rules are adhered to

It's easy to forget it's a business. NHL revenue forecasting doesn't want McDavid out of the playoffs.

27 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

OK, but surely there must be a way of doing this a bit more consistently? 

I have no issues with the refs having to find a way to settle down the goon stuff and making the call on Miller in isolation, but other plays like when Petey got screwed in OT vs the Rangers, that stuff should be reviewable. 

The refereeing has tried to keep up with the evolution of this Sport but it hasn’t.

Going to 2 Head referees was a good move, but shortly after the system was implemented, the speed and skill has doubled.

Cant put another Ref on the ice because they are already in the way most games.

… but I do think another Ref in the Time Box  could be on an I pad to clearly see what took place on a potential call that upsets the balance of an entire game.

Its important to get it right.

It would not take much time to review , and before the “penalized player” makes it to the box, the ref in the box should be able to  appeal to the Ref who made the call.

I highly Highly doubt these refs wish to make the wrong call,.  It’s a tool they deserve, as do the players.

if we at home can get the replay with 15-30 seconds after the play stops,.   Surely a

” Ref in a Box”  can be tracking the call.

( have fun with that “ “ 😉 )

The ref who raises his hand could Bluetooth headset to his assistant who what and where, and the process could begin before play stops.

This game is beautiful the way it has evolved is like no other,. 
a 30 second review by a ref at the box is not ever going to slow this game down so much that it compares to Football, Baseball,

Golf, Soccer, or spurblunking ..

The 3rd Ref could also be dressed in case a linesman or Ref gets injured,.  I don’t know the stats on it lol,.  But it seems like a ref gets injured every game now .