[PGT] Vancouver @ Buffalo

Miss Korea

3 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

Poof there goes your argument. It happened right in front of the referee.

"Which was"

The authority? I don't think so. Someone who's emphatically refused to see anything wrong in the officiating. Ever. It's quite astounding to me.

It wasn't (a penalty)...I can counter the opinion/argument and state it as fact too.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, I'm not talking about Lafferty.  I'm not sure why you continue to engage in whataboutism.

Miller's hit was a penalty.......it wasn't severe, it wasn't a major, it was a minor penalty and the right call.

It was a 2 min penalty, what's the big deal?

What was the penalty?

As the elbow did not come into play? 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, whataboutism.  The penalty in ot, which was what I was referencing, was absolutely an obvious high stick and an obvious penalty.

Whataboutism is relevant even though you ignore it because it doesn't fit.

The refs missed TWO obvious high hits post whistle. Didn't call them. One left quite a mark too....proof/evidence.

Then they call a penalty on JT because Dahlin reached and put himself low. JT took care to tuck in his elbow and not leave his feet.

They made it up to give him 2 minutes. 

Whataboutism is also called "consistency" despite trying to roll over it. And you can use "IT IS" like yours is the final word but...it isn't.

Refs are never wrong, gotcha.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, I'm not talking about Lafferty.  I'm not sure why you continue to engage in whataboutism.

Miller's hit was a penalty.......it wasn't severe, it wasn't a major, it was a minor penalty and the right call.

It was a 2 min penalty, what's the big deal?

I agree.

I think there were two issues:

1) Calling it an elbow rather than a check to the head. He did make the head the principal point of contact, which is a two minute penalty. I think Dahlin put himself in a vulnerable position though, so 2 mins is fine - no intent to injure, just 'bad luck' on a play, much like how a stick can miss a poke check and take a guys feet out. It's still a trip, but not intentional.

2) NOT calling the previous hits to the head the Canucks guys ate, particularly post whistle. That's my own biggest beef with any of it. Either call it both ways or pocket the whistle and watch it become a brouhaha.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, whataboutism.  The penalty in ot, which was what I was referencing, was absolutely an obvious high stick and an obvious penalty.

You said they "weren't gifted anything". Yes the OT penalty was totally legit, but the one right at the end of the game was a gift - and that could've decided the game too.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, brownky said:

I agree.

I think there were two issues:

1) Calling it an elbow rather than a check to the head. He did make the head the principal point of contact, which is a two minute penalty. I think Dahlin put himself in a vulnerable position though, so 2 mins is fine - no intent to injure, just 'bad luck' on a play, much like how a stick can miss a poke check and take a guys feet out. It's still a trip, but not intentional.

2) NOT calling the previous hits to the head the Canucks guys ate, particularly post whistle. That's my own biggest beef with any of it. Either call it both ways or pocket the whistle and watch it become a brouhaha.

Again, there's zero point in engaging in whataboutism.

We should all be thrilled it was called elbowing and not a check to the head.

• ThereItIs 2

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

You said they "weren't gifted anything". Yes the OT penalty was totally legit, but the one right at the end of the game was a gift. 

They also were "gifted" the opportunity to hit high post whistle and not be called for it.

"Gifts" ... one leaving a good mark on Laff's cheek. Bastards

419919054_10160721500705549_221299731839

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

You said they "weren't gifted anything". Yes the OT penalty was totally legit, but the one right at the end of the game was a gift. 

And I disagree.  

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Again, there's zero point in engaging in whataboutism.

LMAO

Yes, that's your take. Only.

Fancy name for overlooking shitty calls and only addressing the one you want to.

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Go Canucks!

Not much to say about the game other than the mental toughness on display throughout the game. Good win.

I will sound like a typical west coast Canuck fan but here goes. Canucks win yesterday to take 1st place in the NHL. They were barely off the ice and SN was telling us that this would be a temporary lead based on later games that would unseat Vancouver. I didn't expect a parade and frankly did expect the inevitable put downs and lack of coverage. No commentary on the Canucks to speak of and certainly no breakdown as to why they are being successful. Q the reversion to mean meme. 

Talk about burning a hole in the Laffer gut. 5 Canucks at the all star game but drool all over the 3 Laffers who are going. Yes, I understand that TO media don't make any add revenue by pumping Canuck tires. Actually yesterday was one of the most frank assessments by the Laffer coach and then a massive put down by Craig Button who said the Laffers were not CUP contenders. All of this ate up about 20 minutes and then we had to move west to celebrate the Oilers and Flames. You would think these 2 teams were duking it out for 2nd place in the Pacific. IMHO Lafferville pumps the Oilers because McDavid is from Ontario. Lowly Canuck fans were informed that the Oilers and Jets were true CUP contenders. Not sure where that left the league leaders? Kelly Hrudy is painful. He admits he is a Flame fan and spares no air time in letting us know. How many screen shots do we need to see of Lanny getting pissed with the Dads?

When KB3 isn't on that broadcast it is a challenge to watch it. I hope his son won his tourny. My grandson back stopped his U11 team to a victory. Those bastards never gave him a shout out either and he is a Oilers fan? 😞 

Canucks were snowed into Buffalo last night so I hope they get over to Columbus this morning. Wrap up the road trip with another win boys! 6-1-0 isn't to shabby. Mind you we will have to appreciate that by ourselves. Canucks #1 in the NHL and yet we are flying undercover. 🙂   

I loved how all they talked about on hockey night in canada was Hellybucks numbers and how great he’s doing and even tho Winnipeg is down 2-0 in the game that he will be a difference if they come back…which they didn’t.

Then they move onto Toronto, talk about Montreal and Edmonton…yet no talk of the game that had just ended that afternoon…that being the Canucks shutting out Buffalo and Demko looking solid…I was peeved by that. Maybe they brought it up later on but not while I was watching. I turned the tv off.

Only Bieksa on that panel pushes Canucks content. No one else.

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

And "whataboutism"

Isn't that the same as "what about the 70's and 80's?"

So only now it's not relevant because you're not using it?

What about the 70's and 80's? Who cares?

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

even if Miller had been mistakenly called for that, there's no way DOPS would have given him any kind of a suspension. The head wasn't the intended point of contact.

I also think Dahlin played it up a bit.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Redhdlois said:

Edm and Wpg cannot sustain their current streak.  

Why, do they have to play Vancouver soon?

Everyone said Canucks could not sustain this pace. Obviously we gotta keep foot on the gas, because Edm and Wpg are playing like we are now.

15 hours ago, HKSR said:

Will be very interesting to see how the Canucks play against this new look Oilers.  Are they really that good? Or are the just on a heater?

I'm driving from the BC interior to the Nucks/Oilers game in Edmonton April 13th, so i'm counting on them just on a heater. There will be 5 of us wearing blue and green. My only game this year.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

even if Miller had been mistakenly called for that, there's no way DOPS would have given him any kind of a suspension. The head wasn't the intended point of contact.

I also think Dahlin played it up a bit.

Though I don't think dahlin played it up, I agree the head wasn't necessarily the intended point of contact.  That said, milker clearly launches himself upward into dahlin

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Though I don't think dahlin played it up, I agree the head wasn't necessarily the intended point of contact.  That said, milker clearly launches himself upward into dahlin

not sure there's anything specifically wrong with that if you contact a shoulder first. 

• ThereItIs 1

16 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We have days off before and after the all-star break. 

It's like a 9 day break for our team with all-star and regular days off in total. 

If I may, with due respect to all in The Church of Pettersson, et al,

present to you, my Super Sunday Sermon for this Fine Forum:

Friends, for once, the All Star Game Will Be Glorious!

What a Hoot the boys are going to have.

Everyone else will envy The Vancouver Canucks.

Our Nux are finally getting the respect due to Them*.

*As in, "Them There Canucks Urr Purdy Durn Good Now, Eh?"

They have looked pretty good in the past as well (Love me sum Dave Babych.😞

image.png.aa28f08169c7d172bcc661e5819a4205.png

But.  But.  But, Buttman take note: 

The 2024 Vancouver Canucks are Super Special!  

Amen. 

[Et Men? Et Women, and all others too?]

• Like 1

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

Dahlin did play it up...

And the principle point of contact was shoulder/chest. In these frame by frame. it's Dahlin reaching for the puck that's gotten in front of him that puts him low as the hit's delivered. That's on him. JT tucked in the elbow, didn't leave his feet and when he contacted the ref, it was shoulder to shoulder.

419630540_10160721565695549_584028968934

419754604_10160721565735549_507350967045

419702753_10160721565730549_851646551502

Not sure how tall this ref is, but Dahlin's 6'3". 

JT's shoulder to shoulder with a ref that likely isn't taller than Dahlin.

The same person arguing this was a penalty also thought Nazzy reached for the puck and that Moore's hit wasn't anything. So let's apply that here then.

They also are very pro ref (they NEVER get it wrong) and wanted JT out of here. So bias? Yes.

Wish people wouldn't quote him because it's easier not to see this bs "because I said so" stuff.

you can also see how the ref got in the way as well. 

maybe the elbowing call was to the ref?

Said it yesterday and it feels the same today, Buffalo kind of played a stupid style last night. Attempting to goon it up cost them the game imo. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Bob Long said:

Said it yesterday and it feels the same today, Buffalo kind of played a stupid style last night. Attempting to goon it up cost them the game imo. 

I thought so too. It was kind of weird because they went Bruin instead of skill. Didn't work out, despite the refs giving them a bit of an advantage at times.

Someone said childish play and I thought it seemed like a really piss poor game plan. Maybe trying to "ready" themselves for the playoffs a little prematurely?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hammertime said:

I think we were fine to come away with 4v4 there. We are lucky they didn't call the 5.

And they were lucky when they didn't call the late high shot to Lafferty's face.

Which actually WAS a headshot.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, -dlc- said:

I thought so too. It was kind of weird because they went Bruin instead of skill. Didn't work out, despite the refs giving them a bit of an advantage at times.

Someone said childish play and I thought it seemed like a really piss poor game plan. Maybe trying to "ready" themselves for the playoffs a little prematurely?

dunno. I thought for sure that they would just tire us out in the 1st, but instead they just got the boys fired up. 

Anyway, good for us 🙂 

Very happy for Miller getting an all-star appearance, proud of the fans for making that happen. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1