[PGT] Vancouver @ Buffalo

Miss Korea

Just now, Bob Long said:

Because the really biased refs can be called out. It will give GM's and owners actual evidence. Fans too.

Called out how and what's going to change?  Do you think mid-game, officials are going to be thinking about that?  Calls are made in a split second, literally.

1 minute ago, Kragar said:

I'm with ya for the most part. The inconsistency is hard to deal with, for sure.

I don't think the difference in calling it roughing or elbowing is going to impact JT's reputation within the league. He's a known quantity, and opposing players will see the hit for what it is when they watch it.

Subjective refs might note it in their planners though and keep an extra eye on him, thereby missing other stuff.

I hope you're right.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I know that I don't pay to watch refs.

I think/hope what might happen is some smart young AI programmer will come up with a site that shows reffing bias and calls it out.

Maybe that can take the bias out.

There was an question with players across the league last year i think or the year prior as to what changes NHL players would like to see at some point and I can’t remember who it was, but there was a player who brought up reffs being held accountable after games. Having to answer questions and explain. 

Screenshot_20240114-112842_Reddit.jpg

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Folks, it's a Sunday morning.  The pastor won't be happy you see hotheads furiously texting into your phones during service.

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

They had to bus into Toronto first.  Looks like they're good to go.

Screenshot_20240114-112842_Reddit.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, -dlc- said:

No, but the one's that leave a guy's face bleeding post whistle. You know, those ones.

Why it's extra awful is that the play was dead.

Laff scored and getting a blindside right after is nasty.

Easy call to make and they should have done it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, stawns said:

Called out how and what's going to change?  Do you think mid-game, officials are going to be thinking about that?  Calls are made in a split second, literally.

But you know some refs decide ahead of time who they will call. Burr e.g. was a victim of that by certain refs.

I don't find the bias as endearing.

• Cheers 2

Just now, stawns said:

So which is it?

They're getting it right and there's no need to change because it's better for the game? The best it's been?

Or "what's going to change?"...throw your hands up because it's "a fast game/split second blah blah blah".

Because you're sort of implying that it could/should change "but"......

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Why it's extra awful is that the play was dead.

Laff scored and getting a blindside right after is nasty.

Easy call to make and they should have done it. 

That's it for me.

Not during gameplay, but as a targeted, pissy outburst that injured a player.

• ThereItIs 1

15 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I agree.

My only point was that this is where the beef begun. Buff saw one of their dudes get removed from the game with contact to the head...made them mad. Even if they didnt have a leg to stand on. 

Edit: this is why Greenway 'paid back' Lafferty imo

And that's why Greenway should have been called, and the refs communicate more/better (if they weren't already doing so) to help the Sabres see what they saw, and it's the refs fault for losing some control of the game.

As a player, when you're frustrated by reffing, many will get angry and get more aggressive. If that aggressiveness is given a pass, it's taken as license to do more.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

But you know some refs decide ahead of time who they will call. Burr e.g. was a victim of that by certain refs.

I don't find the bias as endearing.

Me either.

It's ego driven and unfair. Power mongering and an abuse of power at that.

• Like 1

Just now, -dlc- said:

But where do the refs come in?

Partway through? Never? When they feel like it?

Seems like a lot of young new refs, including linesmen, and especially on puckdrops are soooo inconsistent,.

and does it not seem like they are demanding respect rather than earning it by talking to players and listening to their concerns.

Some refs think they are Cops,   Others realize they are protecting the players and keeping the integrity of the sport.

The Lafrrty hit was late, after a whistle, hit to the head.. it’s an easy call.

The ref saw it,.  But he didn’t call it because we scored on the play.

Thats where and how games get out of hand..   The integrity of it in each game is the refs responsibility to hold,.  And the Saftey of every player.

Letting stuff like that go, slowly degrades a game .

The call that should have been made was either,  elbowing, hit to the head, unsportsmanlike.

that should have been called.

Im fine with the call on Miller, but Dahlin should have been approached by a Ref to say “ If you stretch desperately, and reach for a puck, I can not protect you”.

• Thanks 1

Just now, SilentSam said:

Seems like a lot of young new refs, including linesmen, and especially on puckdrops are soooo inconsistent,.

and does it not seem like they are demanding respect rather than earning it by talking to players and listening to their concerns.

Some refs think they are Cops,   Others realize they are protecting the players and keeping the integrity of the sport.

Thats where and how games get out of hand..   The integrity of it in each game is the refs responsibility to hold,.  And the Saftey of every player.

The call that should have been made was either,  elbowing, hit to the head, unsportsmanlike.

Im fine with the call on Miller, but Dahlin should have been approached by a Ref to say “ If you stretch desperately, and reach for a puck, I can not protect you”.

Just as I typed my last response, you weighed in. Yep, this. 

I'm ok with the penalty too but I'm not ok with what they didn't call. That's more my issue.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

By being a consistent source.

So will regs skate with earbuds in with ai telling them what to call?  Would ai call everything or are we ok with game management as long as it's ai?

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Sure they were, what's wrong with that?  They were chippy, buffalo was chippy, it was an entertaining game.  Shouldn't we be happy about that?

Sure, but that doesn't mean we can't be unhappy with the weak points of the reffing in the game. I'm just surprised none of our guys came away with anything worse that Lafferty's face cut (Miller's rib injury, if it is really a problem, was not deliberate and perhaps more on him for missing the hit he planned).

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Do you remember when linesmen used to fake drop pucls on faceoffs?

Thing is, refs ARE human and not all of them are awesome. So let's not just default to giving them a status that means they can do whatever they want and not criticized. They're not immune to it. Some here go from justifying their actions to making excuses for them...pick a side, are they perfect or just allowed to be imperfect "because"?

The one I know? Don't like him one bit. A lot of strutting his stuff, sarcasm, better than you stuff. Like a cop I know. Think they're "it" because they get to enforce some rules. Let it get to their heads a bit too much.

So no, I don't have to worship the refs out there because some of them are assholes. Many are not, but some are.

33 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Elbowing was definitely a made up call. they reviewed it from all angles in slow mo and called elbowing.

image.png.8bca813292e2a6c0817818cb7388c618.png

They couldn't call nothing and he didn't warrant a 5min on the play. I'll take the 2min. 

as Deb said 

I'm still surprised they didn't give Miller 5 there considering how those calls usually go against us. 

Just now, Kragar said:

Sure, but that doesn't mean we can't be unhappy with the weak points of the reffing in the game. I'm just surprised none of our guys came away with anything worse that Lafferty's face cut (Miller's rib injury, if it is really a problem, was not deliberate and perhaps more on him for missing the hit he planned).

Be unhappy all you want, I don't control that for you.  I understand that it's part of the game and has always been a part of the game.......one that I think makes it more interesting.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Pears said:

I'm still surprised they didn't give Miller 5 there considering how those calls usually go against us. 

I was sure they would...was a nice surprise. I feel somewhat hopeful.

• Like 1

Just now, Pears said:

Then that's proof positive that refs don't have some sort of vendetta against the Canucks, correct?

I don't really like the idea of A.I. for officiating. Maybe the teams can compile a list of the refs they feel they prefer numbered 1 through whatever amount there are. Then try to schedule one ref preferred by each team as closely to the top of each teams list as possible. It's a fast paced game and there will be missed calls. 

1 hour ago, Tusk said:

Why, do they have to play Vancouver soon?

Everyone said Canucks could not sustain this pace. Obviously we gotta keep foot on the gas, because Edm and Wpg are playing like we are now.

I was referring to their winning streak.  

Edited by Redhdlois