[PGT] Vancouver @ Buffalo

Miss Korea

Just now, Kragar said:

Yep, it's a big man's league. Doesn't mean at all that there's no room for the little guys, but you gotta know they're coming for ya when you gotta look up to see most of em.

It's not the first time players went after Huggy, and it won't be the last.

Of course there's room for smaller players, the game has never been more small player friendly.

It's not the first time, but it hasn't happened a lot until this year.  Now that he is clearly a game breaker, I s going to happen much more frequently and he needs to be able to deal with it.

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

Teams trying to pressure Hughes will get trapped. He’s the best passing D man in the league. We will score on off man rush chances. 

That would be the positive outcome yes,,  the other side is he will get worn down very quickly and with his size how long will he take the punishment..  playoffs are a different animal and teams will most certainly hit him at every chance.  Hope there is a strategy to offset this

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

You don't need to observe, the numbers are clear

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tsn.ca/let-s-talk-about-penalties-in-the-nhl-playoffs-1.1962128%3ftsn-amp

"What I think is noticeable is that for the eighth year in a row, the playoffs are seeing a higher rate of penalties called than the regular season – contrary to some of the narratives you hear or read during playoff hockey"

That's interesting.

Hard to believe, but the facts don't lie. Maybe though that's why the Oilers have made it past the first round recently :classic_wink:

• Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, Kragar said:

That's interesting.

Hard to believe, but the facts don't lie. Maybe though that's why the Oilers have made it past the first round recently :classic_wink:

Because teams battle head to head in series. So they try to establish some form of discipline because rivalries get heated.

Not sure they should change the standard from regular play to playoffs though. Yes, the intensity is overall increased but some games in regular season also see that take place. And....well, nothing.

Evening out calls is also bs. 

It's just all too open to interpretation and that makes it ineffective. Yesterday it was like this, today it's something different. And each ref gets to be subjective so...who knows.

There is room for improvement despite what some here think.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

That's just your bias talking imo.  Hughes is a top player, he has to get used to being a target.  They targeted Petey too, but he loves that style and it just fuels him.  

Okay, have you watched the game yesterday? 

The Canucks PP in 2nd period. Look at the video if you have saved the pvr or on demand.    You can tell the difference after the Sabres iced down the puck and received the puck and passed way before the board.  Watch closely and tell me if it is the case. It is targeting and dirty, could easily call a charging even if he didn't jump or made too many strides.  He could have turned and go back in position.  The issue that the charging definition is not in the rulebook of this example.   I suppose you could call it roughing because it is a broad definition. 

You want to protect ALL star players in the game and not getting injured.  It is called preventative injuries to deter others from targeting.  Coaches will bench him to protect themselves from getting embarrassed.   Players do not like being benched and they would have to smarten up their game.  Isn't what the NHL wants to do, protecting their own assets? 

This is just one example and there are plenty of other examples.  Hughes was targeted three times, not an isolated case.   Be honest with yourself for once.  You do have a reputation of opposition opinion of what majority people are saying.  I am fine of Canucks having penalties if they roughed up their opponent and ref called it on us and no complaint from me at times.   I am also a homer and can be unbiased and being homer at the same time and try my best to be fair and respectful to all teams because I want the game to be fun for everyone else, not just for us.  I have my friends who are a fan of their own team and I am respectful of their joy if they won any games and be happy for them even on my expense.   We do enjoy our company with many of my friends.  I lived in the US for almost 7-8 years and I have learned that it is not all about me.  They are a Fairweather hockey fans influenced by me.  

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, TheRev said:

Just read an article from a Sabres writer whining about the "horrible officiating" in yesterday's game. Everyone wants to blame refs when a call, it lack of a call impacts the outcome a closely contested game.  Every team in the league can show a highlight reel of horrible calls for an against, so get over it.  Not sure why refs out away the whistles sometime and let things slide and yes, there is time where we see great inconsistency from game to game...but that is the way it is.  Unlike Ice Dance, the outcome is still in the hands of the competitors on the ice 

I will say that the refs are woefully inconsistent in what they call, but I don’t see any preference for a specific team. It’s pretty evenly shitty rather than the officials having a vendetta out for a particular team. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, coolboarder said:

Okay, have you watched the game yesterday? 

The Canucks PP in 2nd period. Look at the video if you have saved the pvr or on demand.    You can tell the difference after the Sabres iced down the puck and received the puck and passed way before the board.  Watch closely and tell me if it is the case. It is targeting and dirty, could easily call a charging even if he didn't jump or made too many strides.  He could have turned and go back in position.  The issue that the charging definition is not in the rulebook of this example.   I suppose you could call it roughing because it is a broad definition. 

You want to protect ALL star players in the game and not getting injured.  It is called preventative injuries to deter others from targeting.  Coaches will bench him to protect themselves from getting embarrassed.   Players do not like being benched and they would have to smarten up their game.  Isn't what the NHL wants to do, protecting their own assets? 

This is just one example and there are plenty of other examples.  Hughes was targeted three times, not an isolated case.   Be honest with yourself for once.  You do have a reputation of opposition opinion of what majority people are saying.  I am fine of Canucks having penalties if they roughed up their opponent and ref called it on us and no complaint from me at times.   I am also a homer and can be unbiased and being homer at the same time and try my best to be fair and respectful to all teams because I want the game to be fun for everyone else, not just for us.  I have my friends who are a fan of their own team and I am respectful of their joy if they won any games and be happy for them even on my expense.   We do enjoy our company with many of my friends.  I lived in the US for almost 7-8 years and I have learned that it is not all about me.  They are a Fairweather hockey fans influenced by me.  

Of course they targeted Hughes.  I never said they did't.  They were rough and choppy with him, but nothing overly dirty.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

They bussed to Toronto and flew out from there. I thought you posted about it earlier. 

Didn't get the confirmation until the Kate update. 

Good thing they can get a rest tonight.  Relatively early game tomorrow. 

My guess, Juuls back in. DeSmith in net.  

• Vintage 1

Just now, stawns said:

Of course they targeted Hughes.  I never said they did't.  They were rough and choppy with him, but nothing overly dirty.

Read your own sentence again, you are contrary to yourself.  Be honest.  Come on, you can do better than that.   It is clear that you dont read my whole post, you are just cherry picking, you replied just a few seconds after my post.  It takes one minute to read and you took it under 30 seconds.     It is clear as by the day.  

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Cocanuck said:

That would be the positive outcome yes,,  the other side is he will get worn down very quickly and with his size how long will he take the punishment..  playoffs are a different animal and teams will most certainly hit him at every chance.  Hope there is a strategy to offset this

Hughes is a generational talent. Best player in his draft by far.  He will be in the first convertible in this June’s Cup parade down Georgia. 

6 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

Read your own sentence again, you are contrary to yourself.  Be honest.  Come on, you can do better than that.   It is clear that you dont read my whole post, you are just cherry picking, you replied just a few seconds after my post.  It takes one minute to read and you took it under 30 seconds.     It is clear as by the day.  

It takes you one minute to read a post?

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha 1

Just now, coolboarder said:

No wonder you are just cherry picking and make argument that way and called me bias.  Okay, whatever you say.  You will be on my ignore list if you keep it up.  

30 Rock Yes GIF by ADWEEK

18 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

Don't bother.

Someone stuck on their stance who does not care to hear other opinions because....they're stuck and won't budge. Refs are the best, won't ever change/has always been, our team has to deal with it but when Miller dishes some he's guilty. Blahblahblah. 

Then you make valid points in something well thought out and they have...nothing. Except a silly meme of distraction.

There are so many double standards that you'll trip over them.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Because teams battle head to head in series. So they try to establish some form of discipline because rivalries get heated.

Not sure they should change the standard from regular play to playoffs though. Yes, the intensity is overall increased but some games in regular season also see that take place. And....well, nothing.

Evening out calls is also bs. 

It's just all too open to interpretation and that makes it ineffective. Yesterday it was like this, today it's something different. And each ref gets to be subjective so...who knows.

There is room for improvement despite what some here think.

I wonder if the penalties are called more in the early rounds.  In any case, I agree that the standards shouldn't change between regular season and playoffs. Players need to know where they stand.

IIRC, with the Canucks back in the 94 run, that whenever there was a goal, that very soon after the scoring team would get penalized. Was so frustrating, as it seemed the refs were trying to keep the games close.

• Cheers 1

Just now, -dlc- said:

Don't bother.

Someone stuck on their stance who does not care to hear other opinions because....they're stuck and won't budge. Refs are the best, won't ever change/has always been, our team has to deal with it but when Miller dishes some he's guilty. Blahblahblah. 

I agree.  We have to deal with people like this for many years and they still don't know how to enjoy themselves.  I don't understand them sometimes even if they follow this team.  LOL.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Kragar said:

I wonder if the penalties are called more in the early rounds.  In any case, I agree that the standards shouldn't change between regular season and playoffs. Players need to know where they stand.

IIRC, with the Canucks back in the 94 run, that whenever there was a goal, that very soon after the scoring team would get penalized. Was so frustrating, as it seemed the refs were trying to keep the games close.

In the article, it mentions that what does change is fewer hooking, tripping etc calls and more cross checking, charging, elbowing etc.  That makes sense as the more the intensity ramps up, so too do those kinds of infractions

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Considering the elbow that Bure got away with on churla, Canucks fans didn't have a lot to complain about in '94.  Bure should have been gone for the rest of the past season and a decent chunk of the following season.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Considering the elbow that Bure got away with on churla, Canucks fans didn't have a lot to complain about in '94.  Bure should have been gone for the rest of the past season and a decent chunk of the following season.

No intention of getting into this conversation but that was a frikin awesome hit! Dork deserved it many times over anyways. 

• Cheers 1