[PGT] Vancouver @ Buffalo

Miss Korea

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JTM didn’t throw a punch in this fight. He’s a unicorn player. Big, skilled, hard to play against, tough as hell, high scoring centre/wing. I can’t think of another player as good as him (with that skill set) in the league. 

Yup agreed, now if he was stretched to 6'-4" and weighing in at 245 lbs without losing the wheels, hands, etc. ... then, absolutely, he would be a unicorn. However, we Canuck fans are fortunate to have him as a Canuck for the foreseeable future as is - to reiterate what many, many posters have already say in many threads, management kept the right player when choosing between JT and Bo - for a number of well discussed reasons. 

Edited by Rocket-68
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Rocket-68 said:

Yup agreed, now if he was stretched to 6'-4" and weighing in at 245 lbs without losing the wheels, hands, etc. ... then, absolutely, he would be a unicorn. However, we Canuck fans are fortunate to have him as a Canuck for the foreseeable future as is - to reiterate what many, many posters have already say in many threads, management kept the right player when choosing between JT and Bo - for a number of well discussed reasons. 

Is there a player in the league that’s 220 ponds that is like Miller? I can’t think of one. 

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is there a player in the league that’s 220 ponds that is like Miller? I can’t think of one. 

220 lbs and potting 70+ points there are a few comparables: Blake Wheeler (although in a decline but a recent as a few years ago was a hard-nosed, skilled player potting 80-90 points) ... Mathew Tkachuk (hate him or not, he plays a hard-nosed game but turtles when others - like Kassian - would take exception - so not exactly like Miller) ... Brady Tkachuk in Ottawa has the makings of that type of player.

But your point is well taken, Miller style of play and type of player isn't common, no.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Rocket-68 said:

220 lbs and potting 70+ points there are a few comparables: Blake Wheeler (although in a decline but a recent as a few years ago was a hard-nosed, skilled player) ... Mathew Tkachuk (hate him or not, he plays a hard-nosed game but turtles when others - like Kassian - would take exception - so not exactly like Miller) ... Brady Tkachuk in Ottawa has the makings of that type of player.

But your point is well taken, Miller style of play and type of player isn't common, no.

Miller is a more than ppg guy. I do think the comparison to the two Tkatchuk boys is fair. They are wingers though. I’m not seeing a centre like him. To have him locked up for 8 x7 is a friggin’ steal. He’s an 11 mil guy on the open market. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There is nobody currently in the NHL who plays centre, is on pace for 100+ points, plays the PP and the PK, is 50%+ on faceoffs and can drop the gloves when needed.  Not one single player.  JT Miller IS a unicorn.  And yes he is worth $11 million today…

Is Ryan Getzlaf the last guy like Miller? 

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There is nobody currently in the NHL who plays centre, is on pace for 100+ points, plays the PP and the PK, is 50%+ on faceoffs and can drop the gloves when needed.  Not one single player.  JT Miller IS a unicorn.  And yes he is worth $11 million today…

This deserved more than a "like" or "upvote" ... and yet is signed for $8M. Hopefully he is money until around 35 before the inevitable decline sets in. If so, then worth every penny he makes on the back end of his deal as the front end would have seen at least 1 Stanley Cup (or 2) ... hey, it is okay to dream. 

Not if only Petey ... 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Rocket-68 said:

This deserved more than a "like" or "upvote" ... and yet is signed for $8M. Hopefully he is money until around 35 before the inevitable decline sets in. If so, then worth every penny he makes on the back end of his deal as the front end would have seen at least 1 Stanley Cup (or 2) ... hey, it is okay to dream. 

Not if only Petey ... 

Everyone declines, and so will Miller.  I'd expect him to PK less and probably score less.  But I think his vision and passing shouldn't diminish the same so still will get his fair share of points and be fairly useful as he ages.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, -dlc- said:

I think he should have been awarded a medal of honour.

Churla was a pos. 

Bure was awesome, Churla was....not.

Bure was awesome!

The thing is ... 

It didn't happen today AND Bure wasn't suspended. 

Comparing it to today's game, that hit would not have happened since Churla would have been called for hooking, roughing, charging, and high sticking Bure all game long leading up to it. It wouldn't have gotten that far. 

But ... Churla was no innocent victim do-gooder. 

Bure took matters into his own hands and gave Churla a dose of his own medicine and sent a massive message. That was hockey back then. 

It was a very different time and the game was played by a different code.

It's all just another version of "what if" versus "what is".

No one needs to do anything. It was a great run. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

That’s a good comparable.  Joe Thornton would be another.  Brendan Shanahan.  Not sure he ever played centre though, I think he was mostly a winger.

Obviously if you want to go way back Mark Messier would be another.  

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It is the center and 100 points which it "seems" Miller will be good for over the next few years that limits the comparison. Kesler, Getzlaf, Malkin (to an extent), Sundin, Thorton (how far back do we want to go 🙂 ) all deserve to be mentioned in the same context. But, BUT, if Miller produces at 100+ this year and the next few while maintaining all the other stats, then I would propose he rises into somewhat rarified air.  I for one hope so.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Not if only Petey ... 

Miller is currently worth $11 million.  If he declines in 4-5 years then he will decline to $8 million.  So I think he will have value for the entirety of his contract IMO.  He has the skill set to play wing later on in his career or even as a 3C…

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

It is the center and 100 points which it "seems" Miller will be good for over the next few years that limits the comparison. Kesler, Getzlaf, Malkin (to an extent), Sundin, Thorton (how far back do we want to go 🙂 ) all deserve to be mentioned in the same context. But, BUT, if Miller produces at 100+ this year and the next few while maintaining all the other stats, then I would propose he rises into somewhat rarified air.  I for one hope so.

If he keeps producing at a 100 point level for the next several years and wins us a couple of cups, then he will jump into the Mark Messier comparison…

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If he keeps producing at a 100 point level for the next several years and wins us a couple of cups, then he will jump into the Mark Messier comparison…

100% agreed ... and I hope he does so for all us long suffering Canucks fans. He is a special type of player and as long as injury doesn't enter the equation then 2 cups with a few more 100 point years on the other side of 30 would certainly put him into the conversation ... just not for as long as Messier did it, but hey with 2 cups who cares 🙂 

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Rocket-68 said:

100% agreed ... and I hope he does so for all us long suffering Canucks fans. He is a special type of player and as long as injury doesn't enter the equation then 2 cups with a few more 100 point years on the other side of 30 would certainly put him into the a conversation ... just not as long as Messier did it, but hey with 2 cups who cares 🙂 

If the Lotto Line stays intact or even if it separates but gets put together once in a while, then you are looking at Petey potentially getting 130+ points for several years.  If Petey does that and leads us to 2-3 cups then you can put him in the Steve Yzerman comparison…

• Vintage 2

21 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There is one player who technically fills all those boxes... except dropping the gloves.

His name rhymes with Bronner McPavid.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

There is one player who technically fills all those boxes... except dropping the gloves.

He may tick all the boxes except dropping the gloves, but he doesn’t do all of those things better than Miller.  You can argue that Miller currently even scores better than McDavid.

The other stat I forgot about that every power forward excels at is hits.  Miller again is on pace for almost 200 hits. Certainly McDavid doesn’t do that either…

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

You can probably add Dry-Saddle to that list although I do not know how much he plays on the PK (some more knowledgeable than me can inform) ... certainly on PP, FO, Points, not much for dropping the mitts or hitting. However if he rides the pine on the PK then probably off the list.

Edited by Rocket-68

24 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That’s a good comparable.  Joe Thornton would be another.  Brendan Shanahan.  Not sure he ever played centre though, I think he was mostly a winger.

Obviously if you want to go way back Mark Messier would be another.  

You were fine until the last comparison lol

Screw that guy