[REPORT] - Mike Babcock Resigns

Alflives

13 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Seems like 88Canuck doesn't have much of an opinion here.  Just sitting on the fence.  What's the point of forum-posting if you're just gonna sit on the fence and say "you can't judge either way"?

The truth so far is that hiring Babcock was a risky PR move, and when they realized he was still being reckless with the way he interacts with young players, they had no choice but to let him go.  That's just facts.  Nefarious?  Probably not, but Babcock wasn't just any ordinary coach.  This was his parole and he immediately violated it.

Actually people can post whatever they want, if you don't like the post then you can simply ignore it and move on, or you can put the poster on ignore.  As long as the rules are not being broken then the poster is free to post as they wish.

I'm a little shocked at some of the responses in this thread.  If the idea is to grow this community from 400 members to 100,000, telling people not to bother posting unless you have an opinion is probably going to have a negative effect and push more people away...

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Actually people can post whatever they want, if you don't like the post then you can simply ignore it and move on, or you can put the poster on ignore.  As long as the rules are not being broken then the poster is free to post as they wish.

I'm a little shocked at some of the responses in this thread.  If the idea is to grow this community from 400 members to 100,000, telling people not to bother posting unless you have an opinion is probably going to have a negative effect and push more people away...

I think i need to read the rules here. Is fuck allowable?

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

but deep down I feel like this whole thing may have been twisted (due to hate / past grudges) / blown out of proportion

I get what your saying and I agree that society has gone too far with overreacting about certain things. Where I do agree with the pendulum swing is when the abuse of power is an issue. You simply cannot make personal requests when asking from such a position of power anymore. I'm strong, your strong, but some people aren't strong or are in a weak position, like a rookie. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Rekker said:

I get what your saying and I agree that society has gone too far with overreacting about certain things. Where I do agree with the pendulum swing is when the abuse of power is an issue. You simply cannot make personal requests when asking from such a position of power anymore. I'm strong, your strong, but some people aren't strong or are in a weak position, like a rookie. 

I think you quoted the wrong dude. lol

8 minutes ago, The Lock said:

this was "just an attempt to know the players", at the very least that would indicate the guy has no social skills.

A lot of folks saying this. I'm not buying the lack of social skills thing. He is a bully who has historically used his power to make those he's in charge of feel weak and powerless. He knew exactly what he was doing. It's his shtick. Pure arrogant prick.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 2

1 hour ago, 88Canuck said:

I think we need to be extremely careful!! What was the approach? What was the conversation? Was it mutual? People share photos all the time in this day and age. Again, strong chance it was blown out of proportion. If he was right, he was right. If he was wrong, he was wrong. Some players have come to his defence. We may never know…and we prob shouldn’t assume since we weren’t there / part of it. 

"According to multiple sources, one of the most serious concerns was a meeting that occurred away from team facilities that included “several minutes” of looking through a phone. That was beyond the scope of what was initially understood to have occurred."

• Cheers 1

Just now, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

"According to multiple sources, one of the most serious concerns was a meeting that occurred away from team facilities that included “several minutes” of looking through a phone. That was beyond the scope of what was initially understood to have occurred."

Creepy. Did the meeting "start on time" though?

56 minutes ago, Inspector BlakeQuinn said:

Not deserved. Society is crazy these days.

Mike's realized the world has passed him by. It's a messed up place now with social media.

Alright, let's put this into an "old school" perspective. Babcock instead asks to see your recent phone calls and mail to get to know you better.

Does that make it better?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Telling others not to pass judgment when the writing is on the wall is pointless.  The general consensus is that Babcock wasn't careful and clearly didn't learn his lesson. 

Do you want to know what I think?  I think the poster didn't really read into the events that led to Bab's resignation, and felt the need to preach without even doing any homework.  And got pretty defensive when called out on it.

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think so.  If it is I think I'm gonna go after that lawyer Bob real hard over here.  All in fun of course.  I know Bob can take it.  Hiding behind Miss Korea isn't gonna stop me from going after him...   😉

You little shite

I think we have to consider the fact that this is one issue in literally a string of issues around Babcock. If he only did this and nothing else, the backlash might have been a little less, but there's literally been stories from both his times in Detroit and Toronto on players hating the guy.

He basically happened to be the coach of a stacked Detroit team and earned his reputation from that. He has lived off of Detroit's reputation while some people ignore all the red flags surrounding him during and since that time.

• Cheers 1

It's funny...some(one) here say(s) don't judge others prematurely.

But isn't asking for access to someone's personal phone/pictures doing exactly that? Looking for...evidence/proof of something rather than just trusting a conversation to learn about someone? Why not give them benefit of the doubt?  Ask direct questions and believe the answers. Wanting pictures kind of bypasses that and goes straight to "let me see for myself" process of judgement.

Some people have nothing to hide but that doesn't mean you should treat them like they do. 

• Cheers 3

12 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Telling others not to pass judgment when the writing is on the wall is pointless.  The general consensus is that Babcock wasn't careful and clearly didn't learn his lesson. 

Do you want to know what I think?  I think the poster didn't really read into the events that led to Bab's resignation, and felt the need to preach without even doing any homework.  And got pretty defensive when called out on it.

You little shite

I think the poster is someone who doesn't post often, even admitted as such, and wanted to get involved in the conversation.  If that is the case, why go after them?  A message board can be quite intimidating for alot of people, which is why alot of people simply lurk and don't post.  They are afraid of being attacked for any reason and any wrong word they use.  This is a perfect example.  You should know better Bob, don't make me come after you so early in the process.  I need more time to plan my attacks...  🤨

Just now, -dlc- said:

It's funny...some(one) here say(s) don't judge others prematurely.

But isn't asking for access to someone's personal phone/pictures doing exactly that? Looking for...evidence/proof of something rather than just trusting a conversation to learn about someone? Why not give the benefit of the doubt?  Ask direct questions and believe the answers. Wanting pictures kind of bypasses that and goes straight to "let me see for myself".

Some people have nothing to hide but that doesn't mean you should treat them like they do.

As you say in your last sentence, even if they did have something to hide, there's a reason why private lives are private. Private does not mean malicious. It could obviously, but there's no point in assuming that it does.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think the poster is someone who doesn't post often, even admitted as such, and wanted to get involved in the conversation.  If that is the case, why go after them?  A message board can be quite intimidating for alot of people, which is why alot of people simply lurk and don't post.  They are afraid of being attacked for any reason and any wrong word they use.  This is a perfect example.  You should know better Bob, don't make me come after you so early in the process.  I need more time to plan my attacks...  🤨

Sorry my friend...but if you come in using words like "stubbornness" and "toxic" etc. you're likely not too intimidated. Or you'd better learn to take it if you dish it out. People blame others for not posting here but a little self reflection (from all of us, including me) goes a long way.

We're allowed to have different opinions without being labelled as stubborn. That's a personal attack and shots fired.

And yes, the opinion that we shouldn't jump to conclusions and should wait for facts is a good one. Except when facts have been presented in the past and it's "more of the same" ... then we can start to maybe judge how we feel about someone. Babs has enough people saying he's not that great a guy to start listening to some of it.

• Like 2