[REPORT] - Mike Babcock Resigns

Alflives

2 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Yet, KingHeffy will move heaven and earth to defend Babcock while assassinate Tocchet’s character. 

I like Hef's passion. I also strongly believe in 2nd chances and think Tocc has shown he's not just the guy that made that mistake. If he does it again tho... 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree with you actually. You have the right to your opinion. Even the hockey guy said he was shocked. Boone Jenner the captain of the team and little Johnny, their best player, said everything was fine. The kids who post their entire life stories on social media said they were weirded out. 

So, nobody actually knows the truth. He most likely was pressured to leave by Columbus who wrote him a big fat cheque to get out of town so everyone else could save their jobs. Jarmo should have resigned as well. He should be on the hot seat now. If this team becomes dysfunctional and sucks this year then Jarmo should also get the boot. 

Jarmo is on thin ice. If the team sucks again this year, they’ll be hiring a new GM. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

We are well, well past the point of giving MIKE BABCOCK the benefit of the doubt.  The first post was blaming this whole thing on an "over-sensitive society".  So when young players are stepping forward and expressing their discomfort, they're just being overly sensitive?  After all, I can't think of anyone more overly sensitive than the guys over at Spittin' Chiclets.  

Let me change my initial stance - this isn't sitting on the fence.  This is a defense of Babcock's behaviour.  That's going to get called out and deservedly so.  They are going to be called out for that stance anywhere they go.

First off, nobody knows what actually happened.  We can all assume based on history and anyone can make their own conclusions, but NOBODY on this thread has a clue what actually happened.  Secondly, the poster most certainly was not defending Babcock.  Please provide evidence that this poster actually DEFENDED Babcock's behaviour and said it was okay to look on their phones even without their consent or permission.  He/She gave their OPINION on what they felt happened.  Here I quote their post:

3 hours ago, 88Canuck said:

Before I say anything, I’m 100% not condoning his past or any possible current bad / wrong behaviour, but deep down I feel like this whole thing may have been twisted (due to hate / past grudges) / blown out of proportion. It was said he also shared photos. It was probably just an attempt to get to know the players, but taken wrong by some…over sensitive society these days. All the drama from this almost gave him no choice, but to resign. If he did nothing bad / wrong, that’s pretty f’d! If he did something bad / wrong, then much deserved, especially given the past. 

The poster literally said he is not condoning Babcock's behaviour in the first sentence.  Then went on to give their OPINION on what they think happened.  Then in the last sentence they said IF he did something wrong then much deserved punishment.  This is how I read the post and I do alot of reading and am pretty skilled at it.  But then again, you are a lawyer, so you tell me where the poster actually CONDONED Babcock's behavior?  Where in that post does the poster say it was okay to take somebody's phone and scroll through it?

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

24 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Yeah, originally it was more to do with preventing us from stealing a client, which I understand, but they changed the wording in not a good way. lol

My friend who worked at RBC quit and took all of his accounts with him.  RBC sued and he got screwed and had to give back compensation.  These types of competition clauses are pretty common in many industries, especially if you are in a sales job.  From what I have seen 99 times out of 100 they won't hold up in court, but if it's egregious, like my friend who took upwards of $100 million in business to a competitor, it could be a problem...

• Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

My friend who worked at RBC quit and took all of his accounts with him.  RBC sued and he got screwed and had to give back compensation.  These types of competition clauses are pretty common in many industries, especially if you are in a sales job.  From what I have seen 99 times out of 100 they won't hold up in court, but if it's egregious, like my friend who took upwards of $100 million in business to a competitor, it could be a problem...

Yeah, and they had even stated that most things would have been fine anyway, but I'm all about covering my tooshie. lol

• ThereItIs 1

16 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Jarmo is on thin ice. If the team sucks again this year, they’ll be hiring a new GM. 

Definitely.  He should really have been fired along with Babcock.  I can't really figure out how he saved his job.  Must have been a part of the negotiations.  But most certainly he has run out of lives and has one more shot to get this right or he will be done.  My feeling is the team won't be doing well this year with the assistant coach and all the young players and Columbus will clean house.  I could be wrong, but just opinion...

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

I worked for an architect who was pretty worried about taking trade secrets (and clients) when we left. There was a clause in our contracts too, although it didn't prevent us from working with another architect. Just protecting his property (he'd written books about architecture).

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

I worked for an architect who was pretty worried about taking trade secrets (and clients) when we left. There was a clause in our contracts too, although it didn't prevent us from working with another architect. Just protecting his property (he'd written books about architecture).

Trade secrets are a big problem.  It's one thing to take business away, happens all the time and the courts usually look the other way because employees have the right to earn a living.  However, if you are actually stealing trade secrets from the competition, then that is a whole different ballgame.  You would need a very good lawyer to get you out of that one.  I would either call Better Call Saul or Bob @Miss Korea if I was stealing trade secrets...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Definitely.  He should really have been fired along with Babcock.  I can't really figure out how he saved his job.  Must have been a part of the negotiations.  But most certainly he has run out of lives and has one more shot to get this right or he will be done.  My feeling is the team won't be doing well this year with the assistant coach and all the young players and Columbus will clean house.  I could be wrong, but just opinion...

Opportunity knocks for a trade for some of those young players. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I honestly think it really depends on what the new coach does and his relationship out of the gate with the players. If the players end up feeling relieved, they might be a little more motivated to do well. lol

• Cheers 1

Just now, The Lock said:

I honestly think it really depends on what the new coach does and his relationship out of the gate with the players. If the players end up feeling relieved, they might be a little more motivated to do well. lol

True.  My concern would be Boone Jenner and Johnny Gaudreau.  They publicly defended Babcock.  How will that be handled in the dressing room?  Will they go after the kids?  Will their be a rift in the dressing room?  We were in the same position last year.  Pretty sure that Horvat and Miller did not get along and their was a split in the dressing room.  Which caused some major shakeups.  Will Jenner and Johnny ask to be traded?  Gonna be interesting to see...

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, -dlc- said:

How do you say no to your NHL coach if you're a new player? It's up to the coach to know right/wrong. 

If someone willingly shares their photos that's one thing. To be asked by your employer to go through your phone/photos? A young player would likely feel the pressure of having to do what he was asked but that doesn't mean he/she should've been asked to in the first place. What business is it of the team's? Their business is assessing the player on ice and learning beyond that through questions and interviews. I just don't think it's fair...what if they have photos they don't want to share? It's kind of creepy to begin with.

100% agree.  This is a strong example of someone who was is in a position of power that has abused their authority among others.  It puts players, especially the younger ones in a pressured situation who are trying desperately to try and look good for their head coach.  If I were a younger player like 19 year old, I would feel very obligated to do what he says. This would have only been the beginning for Babs, he would have used these abusive tactics throughout the entire year.  Remember what he made Mitch Marner do?  Good Riddance. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

True.  My concern would be Boone Jenner and Johnny Gaudreau.  They publicly defended Babcock.  How will that be handled in the dressing room?  Will they go after the kids?  Will their be a rift in the dressing room?  We were in the same position last year.  Pretty sure that Horvat and Miller did not get along and their was a split in the dressing room.  Which caused some major shakeups.  Will Jenner and Johnny ask to be traded?  Gonna be interesting to see...

I don't know. Imagine if you were working for an organization and your boss did something to your co-worker that same co-worker publicly defended him. Would you be upset at your co-worker or would you just break out the popcorn? Like sure, it's possible there's a divide, but it's also possible they just move on.

Edit: Perhaps another question would be under what circumstances are players like Jenner defending Babcock? There could be more than meets the eye there as well.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Trade secrets are a big problem.  It's one thing to take business away, happens all the time and the courts usually look the other way because employees have the right to earn a living.  However, if you are actually stealing trade secrets from the competition, then that is a whole different ballgame.  You would need a very good lawyer to get you out of that one.  I would either call Better Call Saul or Bob @Miss Korea if I was stealing trade secrets...

I left that industry around... 36 hours ago (whenever CDC announced its shutdown).  Maybe Wetcoaster can help you out?

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

First off, nobody knows what actually happened.  We can all assume based on history and anyone can make their own conclusions, but NOBODY on this thread has a clue what actually happened.  Secondly, the poster most certainly was not defending Babcock.  Please provide evidence that this poster actually DEFENDED Babcock's behaviour and said it was okay to look on their phones even without their consent or permission.  He/She gave their OPINION on what they felt happened.  Here I quote their post:

The poster literally said he is not condoning Babcock's behaviour in the first sentence.  Then went on to give their OPINION on what they think happened.  Then in the last sentence they said IF he did something wrong then much deserved punishment.  This is how I read the post and I do alot of reading and am pretty skilled at it.  But then again, you are a lawyer, so you tell me where the poster actually CONDONED Babcock's behavior?  Where in that post does the poster say it was okay to take somebody's phone and scroll through it?

We know enough.  We know that multiple young players expressed their discomfort over what Babcock was doing.  His intentions are irrelevant here.  His presence and coaching style made players feel unsafe.  That's it.  That's enough smoke for a disgraced coach who had a history of bullying young players.  "If he did nothing wrong"?  "Over sensitive society"?  Clearly the poster thinks this is an overreaction and is essentially victim-blaming from the get-go.

The bottom line is Babcock had to be squeaky clean. The rumblings after he left Toronto, real or not, were there. Had he just walked the straight and narrow. And avoided conflict and just worked on being the best coach he could be and bring the best out of the players. And let his record speak for itself.

But the guy blows it even before his first preseason game.

Basically they gave him a length of rope, and he decided to career wise hang himself.

Will get get the whole picture? Not sure. But the optics look bad. I like giving the benefit of the doubt. But resigning if you did nothing wrong? Uhh...not sure about that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I wouldn't go as far as to say they were publicly defending Babcock.  They were confronted with the questions and gave honest, personal answers.  But what they clearly did not stick up for their younger teammates.  Either they didn't know or they didn't care.  Both situations look bad.

• Cheers 1