[REPORT] - Mike Babcock Resigns

Alflives

On 9/16/2023 at 7:42 AM, Jack Gordon said:

Ward: I don't believe Babcock will survive this

Former NHL defenceman Aaron Ward tells us what he thinks the future holds for Columbus Blue Jackets coach Mike Babcock and takes your questions for ask Aaron Anything Friday

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/ward-i-don-t-believe-babcock-will-survive-this-1.2008030

Babcock’s dead?

Dying Of Laughter Halloween GIF

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bobby Lou said:

Usually where there is smoke there's fire. Wanting to connect and get to know your players is understandable and a good thing....

Going about it in the manner he did is invasive and an abuse of power. There are so many ways he could've accomplished his desire to connect with his players.

Babs has been in question for a few years now and based on everything I've read since his stint in Toronto the writing has been on the wall for some time.

Terrible decision to sign an old boys club bully of a coach. Gotta think that's going to be one quiet room this yr.

If I'm Vincent I'am not talking to the players or even making eye contact. 😬

https://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/insider/story/_/id/38426039/mike-babcock-resigned-blue-jackets-coach-next-moves

How did this lead to his resignation?

The controversy appeared as if it might die down after the team's statements. However, the NHLPA decided to investigate the matter further.

On Thursday, Marty Walsh, NHLPA executive director, and assistant executive director Ron Hainsey, who played three seasons with Columbus (2005-08), met with Blue Jackets players at Nationwide Arena after a morning skate. The trip was not previously planned and was made after the allegations against Babcock were made public.

They also contacted some of Babcock's former players.

A source told ESPN the Blue Jackets welcomed the NHLPA investigation to determine whether there was any wrongdoing by Babcock.

Walsh had a previously planned meeting at the NHL headquarters in New York City on Friday morning. Whatever the previous agenda was, it was overwritten by the Babcock news. The NHLPA laid out what it learned by interviewing players.

According to a source with knowledge of the NHLPA, it became clear that veteran players like Jenner were having a much different experience with Babcock than young players were having.

What was reported by Bissonnette was "the tip of the iceberg," according to a source.

Babcock's exit was negotiated Saturday. The announcement that he had stepped down, and associate coach Pascal Vincent has been named head coach on a two-year contract, was made Sunday.

Edited by Jack Gordon
  • Cheers 1

Good points by:

@Elias Pettersson regarding the NHLPA picking and choosing their representation of their members.  Their quick involvement in this matter is very suspect, especially considering they seemed so uninterested and slow  in in that Chicago sexually assault fiasco.   

@Alflives for how that dressing room in Columbus will have some friction over the release of the ongoings of a private locker room to the public and the support that some players had over Babs.

As mentioned earlier, they knew what they were getting in Babs. To get rid of him over this is very surprising. I’m all for it but I would have thought it would have been more than this. Perhaps there is more but we aren’t privy to that info.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Denis Savard only lasted a few games, for the Blah Hawks if I recall correctly.

Savard coached 147 games for the hawks before getting fired.  You had to actually live through watching Laforge trying to coach a pro team with a junior mentality to understand how bad he was. Team pride, team hustle, team desire…ugh 

1 hour ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I think he probably was blown away by the negative exposure on this and thought I don't need this.

You have to scale it back a bit here. Sure recency bias plays into this 110% but he asked for his players to show him pictures off of their phones and talk about them. Could have been a picture of family at an event, a family member, the family dog or something funny or anything. Players felt violated by their coach wanting to have them share themselves with him in a meeting......I get the whole society being more and more sensitive to every and any feeling one might have but this is a little ridiculous. 

I remember Marc Crawford being interviewed a year or two ago discussing as coaches nowadays having to deal with new societal views and their place in the locker room. The importance of training and so on to be able to deal with players and people nowadays. Feels like Babcock as a hell of a good coach he was just would not buy into how you have to treat these people these days.

Still feel this is insane that this blew up like it did, he probably counts himself lucky quitting and get out of this when he did.

I think he resigned to save face.. He was going to be fired regardless IMO.

We can speculate all day on what the details were but none of us are privy to conversations behind closed doors, obviously some players felt uncomfortable and given Babs history that's likely all it's going to take.

It's no secret this guy isn't liked by alot of players around the league. A simple Google search will tell you some pretty awful accusations of verbal and mental abusive behavior on his part ie: Mitch Marner father/son team trip.

Multiple guys have publicly stated Babs to be a horrible person Johan Franzen calls him the worst he's ever met. Chris Chelios has stated how awful he is and verbally abusive to not only players but to janitors and stadium staff while they where in Detroit.

Prob the worst story I know of is Mike Modano finishing his career with 1499 games played because Babs scratched him for one of his final games which would have brought him to 1500.

Old boys club bully and a garbage person. He got what he deserves

Edited by Bobby Lou
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Gurn said:

Were do you play?

Lichess, chess.com or both- like myself?

chess.com mostly i really like the community there, and the new chess engine is really accurate slowly inflating advantage over the course of its idea instead of just showing the full potential like stockfish 14 does... so it will help you know what computer theory may be good to incorporate into your game so your not chasing a 20 move line before you realize the advantage... i do use lichess for certain things i really like their opening explorer and i often compare engine analysis if im surprised by stockfish 16 evaluation... I plan on sharing some of the chess topics in a thread but will wait till the forum gets spoilers because its a ton of information..

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

After watching that press conference, the fact that Jarmo and even Davidson still have a job is quite laughable.  They put all their eggs in one basket.  Babcock was their guy.  And now he's gone before even training camp and they have to go with the assistant coach who was never an option for the head coach until they had no other options.

What a mess.  That dressing room is going to be as dysfunctional as one can be.  Watch for big changes ahead.  Remember, Babcock most likely had influence in the guys that came in the summer.  Severson and Provorov.  He wanted some veterans.  Now what happens?  What a shit show this team is going to be...

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If you want my honest opinion, I think that guys like Boone Jenner and Johnny Gaudreau are family men who have nothing to hide on their phones.  They probably have their family photos all over their phone.  All my married friends have that and they post them all on Instagram and Facebook.  Guys like Adam Fantilli however most likely have stuff on their phones that they don't want others to see.  You know they went out partying the night before and took some "pictures".  So, they have alot more to hide.

Not saying it's right for anyone to ask for your phone and pictures, I am just trying to explain the difference between the veteran married players and the young single guys...

Brother you know I don't like to insult people however some of these athletes are complete idiots when it comes to what they post on their social media accounts.

Take this guy 

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2023-paul-gallen-exclusive-column-valentine-holmes-white-powder-photo-instagram/89de9134-a73c-4691-868c-43bc5d953114

This was last week, posting a photo of himself with a little " baggie" of white powder. 

It's like the Cops who have a unit whose job is to peruse the internet for the dumbass criminals who post their crimes on you tube or face book. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Flipper said:

Lol, 3 days ago we were worried there would be no place to get into intense discussions about hockey and larger societal issues when CDC shuts down…

I feel like a warm calm has washed away my anxiety and life will go on after all! Ahhhh, it’s like we never left. 

Cheers everybody! 

Right on Brother.

If you want to see those " controversial" photos just google Adams Instagram account where he has posted photos of his family amongst others, in the public domain, where his 70,000 " followers " and strangers like me and @Elias Pettersson who gave me the idea, can view them.

I just did. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1