[REPORT] - Mike Babcock Resigns

7 hours ago, Gurn said:

Were do you play?

Lichess, chess.com or both- like myself?

3 hours ago, Dankmemes187 said:

chess.com mostly i really like the community there, and the new chess engine is really accurate slowly inflating advantage over the course of its idea instead of just showing the full potential like stockfish 14 does... so it will help you know what computer theory may be good to incorporate into your game so your not chasing a 20 move line before you realize the advantage... i do use lichess for certain things i really like their opening explorer and i often compare engine analysis if im surprised by stockfish 16 evaluation... I plan on sharing some of the chess topics in a thread but will wait till the forum gets spoilers because its a ton of information..

We should have a Chess thread for us fanatics.

I am probably crap compared to you guys.

One of you should start a thread.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No doubt.    Babcock just couldn't adjust to the next generations.   Hitchcock saw a very clear line with younger players post Dallas and how previous methods weren't working.  "had to evolve as a coach.   Become a better communicator, realize when to hold their hand, when to be a therapist".   Times have changed, Babcock was trying to assert his dominance, to the kids frame of mind anyways.   Putting them up on the board in his room and scrolling through, sure there was a better way to meet these guys and learn about their character.    Strange method.   That's his way of evolving.   Curious how it was the young prospects that took offense.   Probably had something on his phone he didn't want to share. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BobbyClarke said:

Savard coached 147 games for the hawks before getting fired.  You had to actually live through watching Laforge trying to coach a pro team with a junior mentality to understand how bad he was. Team pride, team hustle, team desire…ugh 

Totally forgot about his first two seasons. Just remembered him getting canned four games into his third season.

I remember the Laforge shit show. He was the worst of the worst.

• ThereItIs 1

19 hours ago, 88Canuck said:

Before I say anything, I’m 100% not condoning his past or any possible current bad / wrong behaviour, but deep down I feel like this whole thing may have been twisted (due to hate / past grudges) / blown out of proportion. It was said he also shared photos. It was probably just an attempt to get to know the players, but taken wrong by some…over sensitive society these days. All the drama from this almost gave him no choice, but to resign. If he did nothing bad / wrong, that’s pretty f’d! If he did something bad / wrong, then much deserved, especially given the past. 

I agree with you, sounds like one or two players got overly sensitive and complained.  

It's a situation that's been plaguing the universities over the last 10-12 years. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

No doubt.    Babcock just couldn't adjust to the next generations.   Hitchcock saw a very clear line with younger players post Dallas and how previous methods weren't working.  "had to evolve as a coach.   Become a better communicator, realize when to hold their hand, when to be a therapist".   Times have changed, Babcock was trying to assert his dominance, to the kids frame of mind anyways.   Putting them up on the board in his room and scrolling through, sure there was a better way to meet these guys and learn about their character.    Strange method.   That's his way of evolving.   Curious how it was the young prospects that took offense.   Probably had something on his phone he didn't want to share. 

Also explains why Hitch tried coming back and ultimately called it a career. I know that he had health issues on the side, but it's what you outline that really feels like the true reason for it. 

As I said in the post above, we have sailed into a weird place in the last 10 years where everyone is hyper sensitive to everything. In an effort to respect everyone's right to a safe space/work environment, this train went full steam ahead and overshot that station by miles and miles.  

• ThereItIs 1

One thing I saw reported.

Babs was doing this phone thing, when not on team functions.

These players were on their days off, and management was bugging them.

Seeing your boss at the Freshco, on Saturday, can happen; but the boss is not supposed to come at you, and start telling all the things he wants done on Monday morning

Just a question,does it seem insensitive to not expect to be held accountable for one’s actions?i don’t think the blue jackets want to pay 8 million for nothing because two players got hurt feelings but more likely because a serious line was crossed at some point by some one who should have known better at this point in his career.civility is a window into your character.we are judged by our actions.how much has babs made now by not having to coach due to his behaviour?

• Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, Sargon said:

Just a question,does it seem insensitive to not expect to be held accountable for one’s actions?i don’t think the blue jackets want to pay 8 million for nothing because two players got hurt feelings but more likely because a serious line was crossed at some point by some one who should have known better at this point in his career.civility is a window into your character.we are judged by our actions.how much has babs made now by not having to coach due to his behaviour?

On the flip side, 20 players had no issues with it, but 2 did. .

It's what happens everywhere now, we pander to the most sensitive part of any group. You could have a class of 200 students in a lecture and all it takes is one student to misinterpret something and get offended, and you get professors in hot water. 

Just now, AatuD2 said:

On the flip side, 20 players had no issues with it, but 2 did. .

It's what happens everywhere now, we pander to the most sensitive part of any group. You could have a class of 200 students in a lecture and all it takes is one student to misinterpret something and get offended, and you get professors in hot water. 

How do you know 20 players didn't have a problem with him?  How would that even matter?  If I only punch you in the face and not everyone around you, do I get a pass on that because you are being a snowflake about it and no one else was?

What we know is that what happened was serious enough that the dude walked away from millions of dollars and the team was willing to give some sort of payout, likely in the millions, to get rid of him.

11 hours ago, Bobby Lou said:

I think he resigned to save face.. He was going to be fired regardless IMO.

We can speculate all day on what the details were but none of us are privy to conversations behind closed doors, obviously some players felt uncomfortable and given Babs history that's likely all it's going to take.

It's no secret this guy isn't liked by alot of players around the league. A simple Google search will tell you some pretty awful accusations of verbal and mental abusive behavior on his part ie: Mitch Marner father/son team trip.

Multiple guys have publicly stated Babs to be a horrible person Johan Franzen calls him the worst he's ever met. Chris Chelios has stated how awful he is and verbally abusive to not only players but to janitors and stadium staff while they where in Detroit.

Prob the worst story I know of is Mike Modano finishing his career with 1499 games played because Babs scratched him for one of his final games which would have brought him to 1500.

Old boys club bully and a garbage person. He got what he deserves

On the flip side, my friend volunteered for 2010 Olympics and told me that Babcock was super nice and very generous with his time with everyone around the rink, including the volunteers. 

So there's that. 

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

How do you know 20 players didn't have a problem with him?  How would that even matter?  If I only punch you in the face and not everyone around you, do I get a pass on that because you are being a snowflake about it and no one else was?

What we know is that what happened was serious enough that the dude walked away from millions of dollars and the team was willing to give some sort of payout, likely in the millions, to get rid of him.

Your punching analogy doesn't work. I'm talking about one act that's interpreted by a large group of people. 

It sounds like he was dealing with more then 20 players (likely close to 30), and the veterans were onboard with it, but a couple of young guys complained. 

I skipped the pages 4 to 10 since I dont have the time to read that much but here are my thoughts. There is too little information out there to come to a full conclusion. I really dont like Babcock and I dislike the podcast just as much. 

Asking a player if he wants to share some photos about the topic they were just talking about is not a bad thing at all, especially if Babcock did the same. 

Do people really think that it is too much to ask of a player to say "No" to the coach if he is asking to share? If young adults can not do that, how on earth are they supposed to get through life? It is my job as a parent to prepare my children to voice their opinion when necessary. 

It is just wrong to say that Babcock is not allowed to ask because there might be someone who can not say what he thinks.

Everybody is offended by everything in this society. At some point we wont be able to funtion at all.

On the other hand, if he grabbed phones, demanded photos without choice or something like that, NHL, NHLPA, lawyers or anybody else should punish him hard so that he will never be seen in a rink again. He has a history. 

I just cannot see enough information to take one side with certainty. 

Edited by Vollmilch90
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Your punching analogy doesn't work. I'm talking about one act that's interpreted by a large group of people. 

It sounds like he was dealing with more then 20 players (likely close to 30), and the veterans were onboard with it, but a couple of young guys complained. 

No, you are assuming he did the exact same thing to each player.  I haven't heard a single mention from any of the veterans involved saying the young guys are being too sensitive.  It is quite the opposite, plenty of veterans talking about how Babcock is just an abusive asshole... and that is to staff, janitors, players, etc.

Jenner was asked by the team to make a statement about his personal experience, he didn't talk to anyone else's experience.  

Please cite your source from each of the 30 players that say that they were totally fine with everything and support Babcock.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This.  Right here.  Like right here.

Also, kinda wondering where the players were for Kyle Beach.  Or Akim Alieu.  Or any number of other players or people affected by questionable behavior and actions.

Seems a players podcast means it's nice and quiet when it's convenient 

• Cheers 3

I would like to revise my prediction for the season for the Jackets now 

I'd said a 26-28 point increase but feel 17-19 points is now more realistic with all this crap hanging over them and now what will be distrust in the roster between players

Edited by Warhippy

Just now, Rip The Mesh said:

When it's time to go; It's time to go. A few years late but whatever.

The difference between Babcock and Boudreau (not far off in age), are astronomical! 

With Mike; There's just been way too much weird sh-t of the ick variety. 

Agreed. Age is not the deciding factor. I was surprised that a team went the Babcock route again. I thought he was done. 

Now he is for shure

• ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Brother you know I don't like to insult people however some of these athletes are complete idiots when it comes to what they post on their social media accounts.

Take this guy 

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2023-paul-gallen-exclusive-column-valentine-holmes-white-powder-photo-instagram/89de9134-a73c-4691-868c-43bc5d953114

This was last week, posting a photo of himself with a little " baggie" of white powder. 

It's like the Cops who have a unit whose job is to peruse the internet for the dumbass criminals who post their crimes on you tube or face book. 

For some reason this reminded me of Mr Carlson's foot powder on WKRP in Cincinnati.

Edited by RWMc1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Provost said:

No, you are assuming he did the exact same thing to each player.  I haven't heard a single mention from any of the veterans involved saying the young guys are being too sensitive.  It is quite the opposite, plenty of veterans talking about how Babcock is just an abusive asshole... and that is to staff, janitors, players, etc.

Jenner was asked by the team to make a statement about his personal experience, he didn't talk to anyone else's experience.  

Please cite your source from each of the 30 players that say that they were totally fine with everything and support Babcock.

Veterans from the current Columbus team? Which ones?  

I just read about Gaudreau and Jenner not having any issues about it. 

Of course Jenner will talk about himself only, that's what we're talking about here, 30 players all having different interpretations of it. They're not a hive mind like the Borg and that's what I'm telling you. Everything these days gets judged based on the most sensitive person in any one group. 

We will not agree on this, you're asking for a source for each of the 30 players on how they felt. Too funny 

37 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

When it's time to go; It's time to go. A few years late but whatever.

The difference between Babcock and Boudreau (not far off in age), are astronomical! 

With Mike; There's just been way too much weird sh-t of the ick variety. 

Brucey is the ultimate player's coach, which only works with a very veteran-heavy team that disciplines itself. 

You can only ride the "good vibes" for so long.  

Couldn't be happier with what Tocchet seems like so far. We've had nice coaches for way too long and we need a hardass who won't be stepping over the line like Babcock has throughout his career. 

• Upvote 1