[REPORT] - Mike Babcock Resigns

Alflives

19 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Brucey is the ultimate player's coach, which only works with a very veteran-heavy team that disciplines itself. 

You can only ride the "good vibes" for so long.  

Couldn't be happier with what Tocchet seems like so far. We've had nice coaches for way too long and we need a hardass who won't be stepping over the line like Babcock has throughout his career. 

Tocchet was one of my favorite players in the NHL back in the 80's when he was with the Philadelphia Flyers and then winning a Cup with the Penguins.  

Really happy to have him as our coach. We needed a guy who has done it all and played hard. Instant respect from the players.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Tocchet was one of my favorite players in the NHL back in the 80's when he was with the Philadelphia Flyers and then winning a Cup with the Penguins.  

Really happy to have him as our coach. We needed a guy who has done it all and played hard. Instant respect from the players.  

Bang on W! He was a heck of a competitor. The type of guy where when your the opposition and he hops over the boards, your like "frig". He will accept no less than full compete from everyone. Come to think of it, all our coaches were competitors and cup winners to boot. Excited to see what they can do. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Win2024 said:

Babcock is a good coach. Sadly most modern men put their own feelings above the team. Personally I can see exactly what Babcock was trying to do- hold a millionaire captain  accountable and be a leader. I admire this. 

Huh? What does your personal cell phone info have to do with your hockey accountability?

Personally, I like the old-school tougher coaches (Tocchet included!) but people are understandably very protective of their phones. Kind of obvious etiquette not to flip through someone’s pics. 

Not sure the guy needed to be fired over it since I don’t know how malicious or awkward it was but I can see why it would go there.

Kekaleinen sure likes his wingnuts… and what’s the odds the jackets pull off a good year after all this?  Could go either way but not a great start.

3 hours ago, AatuD2 said:

On the flip side, 20 players had no issues with it, but 2 did. .

It's what happens everywhere now, we pander to the most sensitive part of any group. You could have a class of 200 students in a lecture and all it takes is one student to misinterpret something and get offended, and you get professors in hot water. 

Your reply has merit,for a lot of situations. I know of a friend at work who made a non offensive joke to someone who took issue with it and got him in trouble. I think for him it’s don’t joke with someone in that particular manner unless you know that person has a sense of humour.(it was religious in nature but not offensive to me but obviously to this guy).past behaviour dictates future behaviour a lot of times.maybe it’s not about hurt feelings but crossed boundaries?Torts probably hurt a lot of feelings but didn’t have a history of veteran players calling him a horrible human.no corporation wants to pay anybody 8 million to go fishing for two years over hurt feelings.maybe management is the one who thought they don’t want their up and coming team to be managed in that matter and maybe the players just shared that they didn’t like it but felt like they didn’t have any recourse and moved on?hopefully more comes out!a person can be nice to some and horrible to others,nothing is really black and white but a lot of gray in between.so let’s see how this pans out.cheers 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, AatuD2 said:

On the flip side, 20 players had no issues with it, but 2 did. .

No one knows for sure who all had an issue with CellGate. The thing is Babcock did this from a position of power so of course some players are gonna support him. He controls their ice, future earnings etc. It's exactly an example of why someone in power cannot abuse the privilege. I don't really like the Snowflake society, I don't. But I dislike bullies even more. Babcock is an arrogant bully who has lost his privilege to coach in the NHL and good riddance.

Edited by Rekker
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Win2024 said:

Babcock is a good coach. Sadly most modern men put their own feelings above the team. Personally I can see exactly what Babcock was trying to do- hold a millionaire captain  accountable and be a leader. I admire this. 

So you think it's fine for your boss to ask to see your private phone texts and pictures? Because that's exactly what was asked.

You'd better be willing to show your private life to your boss; otherwise, you'd be nothing more than a hypocrite with the statement you've made.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, The Lock said:

So you think it's fine for your boss to ask to see your private phone texts and pictures? Because that's exactly what was asked.

You'd better be willing to show your private life to your boss; otherwise, you'd be nothing more than a hypocrite with the statement you've made.

No kidding. I'm a happily married, mature, family man and I have stuff on my phone I don't want others seeing. I can only imagine if I was a young, rich NHLer. Yikes. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

20 hours ago, Down By the River said:

I think Biz gave Jenner's name as a hypothetical example... which I agree with you was an irresponsible thing to do. However, it definitely was not the case that Biz was saying that he got his information from Jenner because he was actually actively going out of his way to not reveal who it was that told him about this information. 

I think the Hughes IV story was started by Sekers but not too sure about that one. 

Yes, I think I agree with your post here. It really could be hypothetical as you said.

Sekeres was the one, like you said, who dropped the name of Hughes. What a clown.

6 hours ago, Win2024 said:

Babcock is a good coach.

More like overrated. One cup on all those Detroit teams stacked with Hall of Famers. Zero Jack Adams for Babcock. Babcock accomplished nothing in Toronto. There are many, many better coaches. 

Edited by Rekker

3 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Overrated coach. A better coach would of won a cup in Anaheim. Oh, wait, a better coach did the next season. One cup on all those Detroit teams stacked with Hall of Famers. Zero Jack Adams for Babcock. Babcock accomplished nothing in Toronto. There are many, many better coaches. 

it was actually 2 seasons and 3 years later. 

12 hours ago, Win2024 said:

This is wrong after thinking about it. I have no idea what I'm talking about. 

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

There is absolutely no reason for Babcock to ask for private phones. If you wanna get to know your players through their pics, have them send in a bunch. I've shared plenty with my work team, and it can be a great way to learn about a person.

But there's no effing way my boss is gonna have my blessing get to look all the media on my phone, and I doubt there's anything on here I'm terribly embarrassed about (pics at least... stay away from my browser! )