[REPORT] - Mike Babcock Resigns

Alflives

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/when-people-show-you-who-they-are-believe-them-the-first-time/ar-AA1gXfAK?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=bf53ce47b7404ffa843df6752b919bd3&ei=57

"

“When people show you who they are, believe them the first time.”

Those are the words of civil rights activist Maya Angelou, and they ring true in the world of hockey in the days following Mike Babcock’s resignation from his role as head coach of the Columbus Blue Jackets.

His tenure came to an emphatic end Sunday afternoon before it could even get started as the disgraced bench boss’ own alleged actions came back to bite him.

Babcock, who was out of professional hockey for four years after allegations of mistreatment during his tenure with the Toronto Maple Leafs et al, couldn’t get out of his own way.

What started as allegations of Babcock looking through players’ phones last week quickly turned into a full-fledged NHLPA investigation which quickly turned to meetings beyond the rink and eventually, Babcock’s downfall. Then, more horrific allegations came out.

Sunday afternoon, Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reported that meetings of Babcock looking through players’ phones might’ve gone well with veteran players like Boone Jenner, but it didn’t go so well with younger players. Citing multiple sources, Friedman added that one of these meetings occurred away from team facilities and “was beyond the scope of what was initially understood to have occurred.”

Then Monday, Daily Faceoff’s Frank Seravalli reported Babcock “allegedly intimidated and bullied the youngest players in the Blue Jackets’ organization,” not shying away from noting how defiant Columbus’ leadership was going so far as thanking Babcock for the work he put in.

All of this, mind you, years after plenty of former players spoke out about his actions in past roles. Johan Franzen, Chris Chelios, Mike Commodore and all spoke out about Babcock’s past abuses. And with the Leafs, Babcock had a rookie Mitch Marner make a list of the hardest working teammates to the laziest, then revealed it to players he had listed near the bottom.

Paul Bissonnette addressed the fallout on Tuesday’s episode of Spittin’ Chiclets, where he said his hope is that it sends a message to those who abuse their power in the hockey world.

“If you’re thinking this is cancel culture, no,” he said. “This is a guy who’s been known to do this s–t doing the exact same s–t after going away for four years who just didn’t learn his lesson.

“He to be around the game, he doesn’t deserve to be around these kids, and especially have control of their futures in the palm of his hands in which he seems to really flex that power dynamic, has in the past, and will continue to do it if you give him another f–king job.

“We don’t want to see these younger players go through this bulls–t anymore, and we think that with this situation coming out, it’s going to send a message to that ‘old boys club.'”

The question now is what further fallout of this occurs. As Seravalli noted in his aforementioned article, the Blue Jackets organization did a penurious job handling the situation from day one, and the fact that GM Jarmo Kekalainen isn’t following Babcock out the door is nothing short of shocking.

And even further, what’s the fallout in further hockey circles? That’s one we won’t know of today, or maybe not even for years down the road. One thing is clear, though, and that’s the days of power-hungry people in significant roles in the NHL are dwindling fast.

Joel Quenneville, another of the NHL’s winningest head coaches of all time, along with his former boss, Stan Bowman, has been out of the league for two years following the Kyle Beach cover-up. The pair have been seeking reinstatement as of last July, but the disaster that has been the Babcock saga might be enough to keep the other two out of the league forever.

Babcock himself has long been considered an old-school coach. A tough-to-play-for, push-you-to-your-limits and get-the-most out of you kind of coach.

But one thing I keep finding myself thinking back to are the words of former Toronto Maple Leafs defenceman Frank Corrado, who played under Babcock in Toronto.

He spoke out last week about how all Babcock cares about “is himself,” and made a stark comparison when it came to old-school coaches.

“I played for (John) Tortorella. Tortorella is old school, he’ll get right in your face and tell you when you’re playing like garbage or whatever the case may be,” Corrado said. “He tells it to you direct and blunt and you may not like it.

“My issue, and a lot of people’s issues with the way Babs does things, is he doesn’t do that. He doesn’t get in your face, he doesn’t tell you direct and blunt and straightforward. He plays these stupid head games around you and that’s what frustrates players. I think it’s important to separate the two when it comes to old-school guys.”

Through it all, the NHLPA itself deserves massive credit where it’s due. They not only were quick to address the allegations but launched a deep and incredibly effective investigation to get to the bottom of what was going on. This in and of itself is going to bode well for its new executive director, Marty Walsh, and his new No. 2, former player Ron Hainsey.

They cut through the water carrying, they cut through the misleading sole statements of Babcock and Jenner and did what they were supposed to: stand up for their players. That will go a long way with the rank-and-file of players.

And remember: When people show you who they are, believe them the first time.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

Why is it that only unaccomplished players seem to be the ones having issues with such coaches and most of the players who “made it” don’t?

Ya, Chelios is a nobody... Commodore... Franzen... Modano... Spezza... etc.

Give your head a shake.  You are just making shit up and ignoring objective reality to try to suit your view of the universe.

• Cheers 1

The stories coming out are a little nutbar if true... and I think we have learned not to doubt any level of douche move by Babcock.

I read two things online,  one that he invited a young player over to his house for a lunch intro... then asked for his phone to go through pictures and texts and then sent him away without even giving him lunch, the other was that he airplayed and saved the pics to his own computer.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Provost said:

Ya, Chelios is a nobody... Commodore... Franzen... Modano... Spezza... etc.

Give your head a shake.  You are just making shit up and ignoring objective reality to try to suit your view of the universe.

“My view of the universe”? Get off your high horse…

• Cheers 1

Love Frankie Corrado's response about Babcock: "He doesn't care about your family. He won't remember their names. It's all about him." 

Sounds like Babcock is a narcissist who was trying to learn personal details about players so that he can use it against players down the road as head games to try and manipulate them into what he wants them to do. Classic crazy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

Is it better just to call you an obnoxious liar?

You posted stuff demonstrably not true to suggest that any players who complain about getting mistreated are losers anyways.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Provost said:

Is it better just to call you an obnoxious liar?

You posted stuff demonstrably not true to suggest that any players who complain about getting mistreated are losers anyways.  

I posted about Columbus players. And you can go pound sand. You were an a.hole in the old forum, you remained one in the new as well.

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, RomanPer said:

Why is it that only unaccomplished players seem to be the ones having issues with such coaches and most of the players who “made it” don’t?

Asking to share photos with someone we barely know is kind of weird, and I can see how that could make some uncomfortable. But in this scenario the player is still in control of their phone. It sure sounds like Bobcock, with some of the younger players, took control of the player’s phone. That goes beyond just weird and an awkward way to get to know someone better to abusive. 

8 hours ago, RomanPer said:

Is it the vet guys just playing the safe route possibly?  Not be the one who throws his coach under the bus.  Theee other guys have nothing to lose by saying something.  We know how hard Torts was.. it was enlightening to see Corrados take on the comparison.  It’s the mind games that has always bothered me when I heard the stories.  That’s rough. 

2 hours ago, RomanPer said:

It’s almost like we joined a new forum and this guy think we can just crap on each other all of a sudden fml!!  You have a right to your opinions brother

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jack Gordon said:

I obviously posted this here for the Babcock comments with Chelios, Biz, and Whitney, there is some great stuff with Kevin Bieksa on the Canucks just after the 2:00 mark where he and the guys assess the team's chances and rip the Vancouver media. It's pretty great 😉

On 9/17/2023 at 4:20 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

First off, nobody knows what actually happened.  We can all assume based on history and anyone can make their own conclusions, but NOBODY on this thread has a clue what actually happened.  Secondly, the poster most certainly was not defending Babcock.  Please provide evidence that this poster actually DEFENDED Babcock's behaviour and said it was okay to look on their phones even without their consent or permission.  He/She gave their OPINION on what they felt happened.  Here I quote their post:

The poster literally said he is not condoning Babcock's behaviour in the first sentence.  Then went on to give their OPINION on what they think happened.  Then in the last sentence they said IF he did something wrong then much deserved punishment.  This is how I read the post and I do alot of reading and am pretty skilled at it.  But then again, you are a lawyer, so you tell me where the poster actually CONDONED Babcock's behavior?  Where in that post does the poster say it was okay to take somebody's phone and scroll through it?

Thank you for the support & understanding what I was saying / where I was coming from! 🙂

• Cheers 1

On 9/17/2023 at 2:18 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree with you actually. You have the right to your opinion. Even the hockey guy said he was shocked. Boone Jenner the captain of the team and little Johnny, their best player, said everything was fine. The kids who post their entire life stories on social media said they were weirded out. 

So, nobody actually knows the truth. He most likely was pressured to leave by Columbus who wrote him a big fat cheque to get out of town so everyone else could save their jobs. Jarmo should have resigned as well. He should be on the hot seat now. If this team becomes dysfunctional and sucks this year then Jarmo should also get the boot. 

And I was the one trying to find balance / take the wait and see approach. Besides that, I just mention some things that “may” be the case. We see these things all the time in society / with the younger generation, so it just crossed my mind. 

I clearly said if he’s wrong, he’s wrong and if he’s not, he’s not, yet so many jumped down my throat (thank you for not)! I’m open to discussing it, but geez! Crazy that I can be automatically wrong, but they can’t, especially when I wasn’t definitive. 

Even the opinion part I said MAY have been twisted, not it WAS twisted. Reading comprehension isn’t the best sometime on these forums. 

Mostly took a break from it all throughout summer, but came back because I was excited to discuss hockey / the team again and I end up having to take a short break from it all again because I felt attacked for a pretty much neutral option / post. 

Edited by 88Canuck