[REPORT] - Mike Babcock Resigns

Alflives

On 9/19/2023 at 3:55 PM, RomanPer said:

Why is it that only unaccomplished players seem to be the ones having issues with such coaches and most of the players who “made it” don’t?

Really worth watching / listening to the spittin chicklets podcast from yesterday with Chelios and Bieksa on it 

it goes into a lot of detail of how much of a sociopath Babcock is, and this is examples from ex nhl players who played for him. At first I though maybe the podcast hosts were piling on, then chelios comes on and pretty much backs up everything Biz and Whitney said from their knowledge of other players.

it seems Babcock has some major issues of wanting to dominate and abuse players. He’s an idiot should never coach in ANY league again 

can’t tell people to listen to that podcast enough- very enlightening 

Edited by BlockerHigh

Former Red Wings defenseman Jakub Kindl details more Mike Babcock mind games

The former Detroit Red Wings blueliner is the latest to detail his experiences with the disgraced former head coach.

Updated Wed, September 20, 2023 at 3:27 PM PDT

More skeletons from Mike Babcock’s closet are coming to light in the aftermath of his resignation.

Three days after Mike Babcock stepped downas the head coach of the Columbus Blue Jackets, former Detroit Red Wings defenseman Jakub Kindl detailed how difficult Babcock made life for him in an article titled “Seventh Defensemen,” which he published on a Czechia news site titled Bez Frazi.

While Kindl, who spent parts of nine seasons in the Detroit Red Wings organization, lauded some of Babcock’s coaching abilities — such as his game-day preparation — he didn’t shy away from explaining just how miserable Babcock made life for him.

“I wasn't his favorite player from the beginning, and even though (Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland) liked me, Babcock seemed to constantly test what I could handle and he let me know that he didn’t like me as a player,” Kindl wrote. “I couldn’t stand him as a person.”

The 36-year-old retired defenseman recounted sequences where Babcock ostracized him.

“I saw him making jokes with the others, but with me, he barely exchanged a few words,” Kindl said. “If he did, it was to humiliate me. For example, he once put me on the right side of the defense, and I was looking at the lineup in disbelief. He was just passing by and heard me, so he looked at the lineup and said, 'Yeah, you're on the right side. You have trouble playing on the left, and I'm making it harder for you, right?'"

Jakub Kindl is the latest individual to come forward with stories of Mike Babcock's emotional manipulation and abuse as a head coach. (Photo by John Russell/NHLI via Getty Images)

Jakub Kindl is the latest individual to come forward with stories of Mike Babcock's emotional manipulation and abuse as a head coach. (Photo by John Russell/NHLI via Getty Images)More

Kindl reinforced what many have alleged about Babcock, which is that if you were in his doghouse, he made life particularly difficult for you, something Kindl says was universally known throughout the organization.

In his first game facing off against Babcock, after he left Detroit, Kindl scored the overtime-winning goal. While he says that in of itself was gratifying, nothing compared to the vindication he received afterward from several members of the Red Wings organization.

“They knew how hard it was under Babcock. That evening, I received a lot of messages from people all over the club, from chefs, guys who parked our cars, facility personnel, and from the people who worked in offices. They all congratulated me,” Kindl said.

Kindl’s testimony is far from the only criticism Babcock has received from his time in Detroit. Johan Franzen, who won a Stanley Cup with the Red Wings in 2008, called Babcock the worst person he's ever met. During a 2019 interview with the Spittin' Chiclets podcast, Red Wings star Chris Chelios provided some context as to what would make Franzen say such a statement.

“[Franzen] was hurt at the time of the playoffs, we lost to Nashville...and some of the things he said to him on the bench,” Chelios explained. “I don’t know what he said to him behind closed doors — but he was blatantly verbally assaulting him during the game.

“It got to the point for Johan — no one really knew he was suffering with the concussion and depression — he just broke down and had a nervous breakdown. Not only on the bench but after the game, into the rooms in Nashville. That was probably the worst thing that I’ve ever seen,” Chelios said.

https://ca.yahoo.com/sports/news/former-red-wings-defenseman-jakub-kindl-details-more-mike-babcock-mind-games-222514741.html

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I remember thinking he was such a great coach in Detroit and did well with a stacked team, but now all this abuse finally comes out. Interesting that Torts hasn't been called out for stuff like this, I guess it's a fine line and these hard nosed coaches walk it closely. Babcock consistently went well over the line though.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I remember thinking he was such a great coach in Detroit and did well with a stacked team, but now all this abuse finally comes out. Interesting that Torts hasn't been called out for stuff like this, I guess it's a fine line and these hard nosed coaches walk it closely. Babcock consistently went well over the line though.

I'm not a fan of either coach. But from all reports, Torts is just a way better human being. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I don't think Tortz is nearly as hands on. Didn't he let the assistants basically run all the practices? thought I heard that somewhere. 

16 minutes ago, QuantumBunk said:

Like Keenan, yes. Some wanker in Russia will think its a good idea to hire him. And they wont offer him huge money but probably a million bucks

More like a million Barneys (Rubbles) which is about 10Gs U.S., and sinking fast.

I hope Blabs gets hired to coach Red Army and finds himself in a fetid, "worm"-filled trench in Ukraine.

Coach these guys Asshole!

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

On 9/23/2023 at 7:41 AM, Bob Long said:

I don't think Tortz is nearly as hands on. Didn't he let the assistants basically run all the practices? thought I heard that somewhere. 

Yeah, because he was living in Point Roberts, for tax reasons.

Still, he stood up for his players by confronting The Flames. I always respected him for that. That tells me he’s a genuinely good person who cares about his players. It’s a shame it didn’t work out with him, but I put that mostly on a stale roster. 

• Cheers 1