[REPORT] - Mike Babcock Resigns

Alflives

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/mike-babcock-to-resign-as-blue-jackets-head-coach-following-photo-controversy/

Mike Babcock resigned as head coach of the Columbus Blue Jackets on Sunday, days after Spittin’ Chiclets podcaster Paul Bissonnette accused him of improperly viewing players’ smartphones.

Initially, the team, the NHL and the NHLPA were satisfied when captain Boone Jenner and 682-game NHL veteran Johnny Gaudreau indicated there was nothing nefarious with what Babcock did. However, the organizations reversed course when some of Blue Jackets’ younger players said they weren’t comfortable with what had occurred.

“Upon reflection, it has become clear that continuing as head coach of the Columbus Blue Jackets was going to be too much of a distraction,” Babcock said in a statement released by the team. "While I’m disappointed to not have had the opportunity to continue the work we’ve begun, I know it’s in the best interest of the organization for me to step away at this time. I wish everyone in the organization well in the upcoming season.”

According to multiple sources, one of the most serious concerns was a meeting that occurred away from team facilities that included “several minutes” of looking through a phone. That was beyond the scope of what was initially understood to have occurred.

NHLPA executive director Marty Walsh and assistant executive director Ron Hainsey flew to Columbus to meet with Blue Jackets players on Thursday. After a lengthy meeting described as “intense,” the situation was added to the agenda of a regularly scheduled NHL/NHLPA meeting on Friday. Some of Babcock’s former players in Toronto were contacted as part of the investigation. 

“This was a difficult decision on everyone’s part, but one we felt necessary to ensure our focus remains on the players and the team’s upcoming season,” said Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen said in the statement. “On behalf of the entire Blue Jackets organization, we want to thank Mike for his hard work and the professionalism he has shown in working together on a plan to step down.”

The Blue Jackets have appointed associate coach Pascal Vincent as head coach, agreeing to a two-year contract through the 2024-25 season.

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

A good way to "get to know" his players starts with mutual respect and trust, not asserting power over them. Insisting they "do" something to prove themselves to him.

"Show me your (personal) photos" when you're in a place of authority over someone isn't a great ice breaker.

"Tell me about yourself"

"What are your hobbies/interests?'

It's a little invasive to want to see photos...almost requiring "proof" before there's even reason to doubt someone's character/lifestyle.

Dinosaurs need to learn of the boundaries that we, as humans, have. There was a day when you had to do stuff to retain a position or be hired. Those days are gone (or at least need to be).

I think we need to be extremely careful!! What was the approach? What was the conversation? Was it mutual? People share photos all the time in this day and age. Again, strong chance it was blown out of proportion. If he was right, he was right. If he was wrong, he was wrong. Some players have come to his defence. We may never know…and we prob shouldn’t assume since we weren’t there / part of it. 

1 minute ago, 88Canuck said:

I think we need to be extremely careful!! What was the approach? What was the conversation? Was it mutual? People share photos all the time in this day and age. Again, strong chance it was blown out of proportion. If he was right, he was right. If he was wrong, he was wrong. Some players have come to his defence. We may never know…and we prob shouldn’t assume since we weren’t there / part of it. 

If people are willingly sharing their photos, sure no prob.    It's not, obviously, since a player or more blew the whistle.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, -dlc- said:

"Mutual" when a person in a position of power/authority over someone else isn't always the case.

How do you say no to your NHL coach if you're a new player? It's up to the coach to know right/wrong. 

If someone willingly shares their photos that's one thing. To be asked by your employer to go through your phone/photos? A young player would likely feel the pressure of having to do what he was asked but that doesn't mean he/she should've been asked to in the first place. What business is it of the team's? Their business is assessing the player on ice and learning beyond that through questions and interviews. I just don't think it's fair...what if they had photos they don't want to share?

You’re not wrong, but we may never know and I’ve always felt it’s unfair to judge, criticize etc if we don’t have all the facts. I’ve experienced it and it’s horrible…history or not. 

4 minutes ago, 88Canuck said:

You’re not wrong, but we may never know and I’ve always felt it’s unfair to judge, criticize etc if we don’t have all the facts. I’ve experienced it and it’s horrible…history or not. 

I'm judging his actions and it seems fair to do so.

As a mother, it infuriates me that our children are asked to do things to "prove" themselves beyond just being qualified for the job. That's where the interviews/focus should be...can they do the job? What are their skills, etc.

I'm not sure personal photos play into that and, as a matter of fact, would likely be more in line with "judging" someone on their photos without any context behind them.

It seems like nothing, but it's not. It is our right to protect our personal property...unless the team was paying for that phone.

I was asked to put an app on my phone for work...I absolutely refused to. I was hounded and bugged and told them "if you want me to have this app, you provide a work phone for it". And they did. Then they wanted to expand to a commercial version of the app and said I had to give them my driver's license/picture ID. Hell no.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. — Mike Babcock’s attempts to rehabilitate his image and resume his NHL coaching career lasted barely two months. He didn’t even make it to opening night.

Babcock resigned from the Columbus Blue Jackets on Sunday, less than a week after allegations surfaced on a popular podcast that he had perused players’ private pictures on their cellphones by viewing them on a big-screen TV using the Airplay application.

While some players didn’t mind the interaction — Blue Jackets veterans Boone Jenner and Johnny Gaudreauboth said they didn’t view it as an invasion of privacy — Babcock’s meetings with other players were either handled differently or interpreted differently, perhaps both.

The Blue Jackets promoted associate coach Pascal Vincent, who was passed over for the job during the last two coaching hires, as their coach just three days before training camp opens.

Babcock, hired on July 1 after 3 1/2 years away from the NHL, vehemently defended the picture-sharing as a way to get to know his know players. He said he had similar interactions in his previous coaching stops, including Toronto.

The allegations were revealed by former NHL player Paul Bissonnette on the “Spittin’ Chiclets” podcast, and initially, the NHL and the NHLPA seemed willing to accept Babcock’s explanation as well as the public testimonies of Jenner, Gaudreau and others.

others.

It’s a stunning turn of events, in one sense. Babcock arrived in Columbus saying that he learned difficult lessons about his previous coaching tactics and communications skills, and he vowed to interact with players differently. But he resigned three days before the start of training camp without ever running a practice.

This was Babcock’s first NHL coaching role since he was fired by the Toronto Maple Leafs in 2019. In the days after the firing, he was accused by multiple former players in Toronto and Detroit of verbal and psychological abuse.

Vincent, who has been an associate coach with the Blue Jackets the past two seasons, will be introduced as head coach at the Blue Jackets’ media day, set for Monday.

(Photo: Kyle Robertson / USA Today)

That was quick… not even a game coached and he’s already gone.

What do you guys think? Was this overblown or was this deserving? 

Edited by thesauce

Just now, -dlc- said:

As a mother, it infuriates me that our children are asked to do things to "prove" themselves beyond just being qualified for the job. That's where the interviews/focus should be...can they do the job? What are their skills, etc.

I'm not sure personal photos play into that and, as a matter of fact, would likely be "judging" someone on photos without any context behind them.

If it was mutual sharing, it’s none of what you say! It does happen. Again, we weren’t there and don’t know the facts!! 

You have been an amazing contributor over the years and I have a lot of respect for you, but I’ll be honest, I feel like your stubbornness re: certain things / topics gets in the way of logic / common sense re: the topic. Sorry! 

I feel like I’m trying to find a balance / happy medium re: the topic because I don’t know, but you’ve chosen a side without knowing the fact 100%. 

9 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I'm not sure personal photos play into that and, as a matter of fact, would likely be more in line with "judging" someone on their photos without any context behind them.

It seems like nothing, but it's not. It is our right to protect our personal property...unless the team was paying for that phone.

I was asked to put an app on my phone for work...I absolutely refused to. I was hounded and bugged and told them "if you want me to have this app, you provide a work phone for it". And they did. Then they wanted to expand to a commercial version of the app and said I had to give them my driver's license/picture ID. Hell no.

P.S. just because some share their thoughts / opinions re: their experience…doesn’t make it facts! Again, not defending him, just finding a balance without 100% knowing the facts. 

Edited by 88Canuck

Just now, -dlc- said:

Common sense tells me that you shouldn't be asking to see another person's phone/pictures. If nothing else, it's a little invasive/rude.

My stubbornness is based on my values/morals and so I make no apologies for that.

Let’s not mix morals / values with the unknown facts!!! Were you there? Do you 100% know that was the case? Just wow! You clearly don’t like him and that’s okay, but that doesn’t give you the right to judge / criticize something you don’t know 100% about!! That’s not hard to understand!!!! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 88Canuck said:

Before I say anything, I’m 100% not condoning his past or any possible current bad / wrong behaviour, but deep down I feel like this whole thing may have been twisted (due to hate / past grudges) / blown out of proportion. It was said he also shared photos. It was probably just an attempt to get to know the players, but taken wrong by some…over sensitive society these days. All the drama from this almost gave him no choice, but to resign. If he did nothing bad / wrong, that’s pretty f’d! If he did something bad / wrong, then much deserved, especially given the past. 

This "balance" you're showing is weighing heavily on one side. But we can agree to disagree....I don't like witch hunts either. But I'm also not going to lose sleep because someone's stepping down who has a bit of a history/rep for not being the nicest guy.

Unknown fact: when you state my feelings for me ... "you clearly don't like him". I also don't like double standards.

Known fact: I don't care enough about Mike Babcock to get my knickers in a twist over whether he's right/wrong. It's a big whatever for me. But hockey culture IS changing and it's for the better. The dinosaurs need to go.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, -dlc- said:

This "balance" you're showing is weighing heavily on one side. But we can agree to disagree....I don't like witch hunts either. But I'm also not going to lose sleep because someone's stepping down who has a bit of a history/rep for not being the nicest guy.

Heavily to one side…I said if he’s right, he’s right and if he’s wrong, he’s wrong. I’m just saying don’t judge / criticize if you’re not 100% sure of everything! If anyone isn’t finding balance, it’s you. 

This is a prime example of why I have mostly avoided the forum(s) over the last while! Just so much negative/ toxic behaviour. 

I was looking forward to this new forum, be here we are again…..

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, 88Canuck said:

P.S. just because some share their thoughts / opinions re: their experience…doesn’t make it facts! Again, not defending him, just finding a balance without 100% knowing the facts. 

Just read that some of the younger players didn’t feel safe/ok with what he was doing. That makes it wrong! And probably is why he resigned.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

I am guessing we're not gonna get any details on this. Much like that whole Team Canada thing we're still waiting on details for. I was never in support of this hiring, but I also wanted to at least see him get a fair shake on the allegations. Resigning cause players might have misinterpreted his intentions seems excessive. Which is why I wish we got more information on the details of their investigation. Whatever. Guy is old and likely out of touch and his attempt at connecting with players was interpreted poorly. Which is bad considering his history of abusing players.