[REPORT] - Mike Babcock Resigns

Alflives

3 minutes ago, 88Canuck said:

Heavily to one side…I said if he’s right, he’s right and if he’s wrong, he’s wrong. I’m just saying don’t judge / criticize if you’re not 100% sure of everything! If anyone isn’t finding balance, it’s you. 

This is a prime example of why I have mostly avoided the forum(s) over the last while! Just so much negative/ toxic behaviour. 

I was looking forward to this new forum, be here we are again…..

Be the change you want to see happen.

Using words like stubbornness, common sense, toxic and !!! is part of the problem not the solution.

We're all allowed to have an opinion here and I've shared mine. Innocent until proven guilty...yes. But resigning and having a bit of history and others calling you out isn't to be completely ignored either. As you say...balance. He's maybe not a monster but he's also maybe not the best guy either. And I feel it's likely best that he does pack it in...old ways of running the NHL are being exposed as fairly inappropriate (and ineffective) in the current day and age. 

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

A good way to "get to know" his players starts with mutual respect and trust, not asserting power over them. Insisting they "do" something to prove themselves to him.

"Show me your (personal) photos" when you're in a place of authority over someone isn't a great ice breaker.

"Tell me about yourself"

"What are your hobbies/interests?'

It's a little invasive to want to see photos...almost requiring "proof" before there's even reason to doubt someone's character/lifestyle.

Dinosaurs need to learn of the boundaries that we, as humans, have. There was a day when you had to do stuff to retain a position or be hired. Those days are gone (or at least need to be).

I hate that customs can ask for your phone and rifle through it...I get why, but I have a hard time with it. That's a different situation though and involves national security. So...ok. 

I have pictures of my family that I don't particularly want to share with others...I protect their privacy and so a coach wanting to display them via airplay can take a hike.

Exactly, I think it’s weird too.. it’s more of an equivalent to a straightforward demand such as “Gimme your phone and let me see your photos!” 

I wouldn’t even do it…

• Cheers 1

Just now, Crimson JH said:

Exactly, I think it’s weird too.. it’s more of an equivalent to a straightforward demand such as “Gimme your phone and let me see your photos!” 

I wouldn’t even do it…

I'll show you mine (photos) and you show me yours is maybe even worse because it sort of seems like manipulation.

Thing is, often where there's smoke there's fire.

If this was a one off....sure. Give him the benefit of the doubt. But so many people have come forward saying he's "the worst person they ever met", etc.  and he's got a bit of history FOR having personal vendettas against people. 

If nothing more, hopefully as he sails off into the sunset he can use some of his experiences and time for self reflection and to grow as a person. He'll be fine.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, 88Canuck said:

Heavily to one side…I said if he’s right, he’s right and if he’s wrong, he’s wrong. I’m just saying don’t judge / criticize if you’re not 100% sure of everything! If anyone isn’t finding balance, it’s you. 

This is a prime example of why I have mostly avoided the forum(s) over the last while! Just so much negative/ toxic behaviour. 

I agree with you actually. You have the right to your opinion. Even the hockey guy said he was shocked. Boone Jenner the captain of the team and little Johnny, their best player, said everything was fine. The kids who post their entire life stories on social media said they were weirded out. 

So, nobody actually knows the truth. He most likely was pressured to leave by Columbus who wrote him a big fat cheque to get out of town so everyone else could save their jobs. Jarmo should have resigned as well. He should be on the hot seat now. If this team becomes dysfunctional and sucks this year then Jarmo should also get the boot. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

21 minutes ago, 88Canuck said:

Consent is the key issue in privacy. While there is a privacy paradox (i share everything on my instagram vs hey don't share my photo) the big difference is that you have the control as to whether you want to share. When there is coercion then you aren't giving a free consent, just like being tricked by a website's privacy controls into selling your data.

Babcock breached privacy standards and his power relative to the players meant that it was never free consent. Holding a guy's phones for minutes would freak out anyone. There was smoke here, his hiring was ill-advised, but he broke trust of his players and he'd never get it back.

Some of you bought the bj's pr crap right away and should own it. 

Edited by OldFaithfulcap
c
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Thing is, often where there's smoke there's fire.

If this was a one off....sure. Give him the benefit of the doubt. But so many people have come forward saying he's "the worst person they ever met", etc.  and he's got a bit of history FOR having personal vendettas against people. 

If nothing more, hopefully as he sails off into the sunset he can use some of his experiences and time for self reflection and to grow as a person. He'll be fine.

But, but Toronto Leafs media pegged him the best coach in the world when they hired him, literally. Lol. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree with you actually. You have the right to your opinion. Even the hockey guy said he was shocked. Boone Jenner the captain of the team and little Johnny, their best player, said everything was fine. The kids who post their entire life stories on social media said they were weirded out. 

So, nobody actually knows the truth. He most likely was pressured to leave by Columbus who wrote him a big fat cheque to get out of town so everyone else could save their jobs. Jarmo should have resigned as well. He should be on the hot seat now. If this team becomes dysfunctional and sucks this year then Jarmo should also get the boot. 

Seems like 88Canuck doesn't have much of an opinion here.  Just sitting on the fence.  What's the point of forum-posting if you're just gonna sit on the fence and say "you can't judge either way"?

The truth so far is that hiring Babcock was a risky PR move, and when they realized he was still being reckless with the way he interacts with young players, they had no choice but to let him go.  That's just facts.  Nefarious?  Probably not, but Babcock wasn't just any ordinary coach.  This was his parole and he immediately violated it.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Babcock breached privacy standards and his power relative to the players meant that it was never free consent. Holding a guy's phones for minutes would freak out anyone.

This, along with past history = goodbye. What an arrogant turd. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Seems like 88Canuck doesn't have much of an opinion here.  Just sitting on the fence.  What's the point of forum-posting if you're just gonna sit on the fence and say "you can't judge either way"?

The truth so far is that hiring Babcock was a risky PR move, and when they realized he was still being reckless with the way he interacts with young players, they had no choice but to let him go.  That's just facts.  Nefarious?  Probably not, but Babcock wasn't just any ordinary coach.  This was his parole and he immediately violated it.

It's ok to be on the fence.  It's just another opinion on a forum.  All are welcome.  We don't need to agree here.  That's why there is a forum.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 88Canuck said:

I think we need to be extremely careful!! What was the approach? What was the conversation? Was it mutual? People share photos all the time in this day and age. Again, strong chance it was blown out of proportion. If he was right, he was right. If he was wrong, he was wrong. Some players have come to his defence. We may never know…and we prob shouldn’t assume since we weren’t there / part of it. 

You are just filling in the blanks with your own biases to validate your viewpoint of the world.

1.  He isn't a friend, he is their boss.  They aren't peers, his "suggestions" are directives.
2.  The power imbalance makes it clear they can't feel free to just say no.  He literally has control over their career and multi-millions of dollars worth of future earnings.
3.  If your new boss who you don't know at all comes in the first time you meet him and says he wants to review your phone pictures, you wouldn't find that weird/creepy/abusive?  Then reportedly he blows them up on a larger screen?

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3

1 hour ago, 88Canuck said:

Before I say anything, I’m 100% not condoning his past or any possible current bad / wrong behaviour, but deep down I feel like this whole thing may have been twisted (due to hate / past grudges) / blown out of proportion. It was said he also shared photos. It was probably just an attempt to get to know the players, but taken wrong by some…over sensitive society these days. All the drama from this almost gave him no choice, but to resign. If he did nothing bad / wrong, that’s pretty f’d! If he did something bad / wrong, then much deserved, especially given the past. 

If this was "just an attempt to know the players", at the very least that would indicate the guy has no social skills. The guy clearly doesn't know how to communicate with his players. Do you want someone with little social skills like that coaching your team?

Drama or not, what he did isn't something I'd want to see in a coach. We don't even need to look at the implications of his actions nor the drama to see how weird and bad this is.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1