All Star game concept

I think the all star game is so gimmicky. How about 3 way mini tournament between KHL All Stars

West All Stars

East All  Stars

I think it would make it more exciting over the non- contact , skills boring format in place now.??? Thoughts..

Or we can skip the All Star Game altogether.

The rationale for the All Star Game made sense when you were lucky to get 40-50 games on TV, and you'd almost never see out of market games.

Now almost all the games are televised, is just a matter of you taking time to watch the games.

It would also make sense when players needed any extra income they could get. Before the multi million dollar salaries.

Besides it's not a real hockey game. You don't see fights, big time hits, etc. It's all about scoring.

It's just one big schmooze event for League sponsors. Do even regular fans get tickets?

You can get the same sponsors and go to the NHL Awards.

So to sum up. The All Star Game. We we really need it?

Edited by Ghostsof1915

I doubt Putin would let his league be embarrassed by the NHL.

That said, I will say that I think the games were more intense when it was NA vs World, since there was a smidgen of nationalistic pride on the line. I don't think we'll ever go back to that, but it would be fun.

To be honest I just like the concept of no All-Stars? 

It's a meaningless event and I think I only cared about it when I was a kid thinking the reason for these high scores is because of the talent involved. Not realizing these games are played with defense and intensity in mind. 

35 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

To be honest I just like the concept of no All-Stars? 

It's a meaningless event and I think I only cared about it when I was a kid thinking the reason for these high scores is because of the talent involved. Not realizing these games are played with defense and intensity in mind.

The game really started to lose its intensity after the 80s or early 90s but they were reasonably close to real games in the 80s at least.  The guys cared if they scored, cared if they won and nobody ducked out of the game because it was an honor to be there as opposed to a pain in the ass.  But once upon a time it did kind of mean something.

• Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

The game really started to lose its intensity after the 80s or early 90s but they were reasonably close to real games in the 80s at least.  The guys cared if they scored, cared if they won and nobody ducked out of the game because it was an honor to be there as opposed to a pain in the ass.  But once upon a time it did kind of mean something.

Used to be the Cup champs played league all stars. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Therefore it's time to retire the event. 

I mean do fans actually care about the All-Star event? 

If anything I would rather have the All-Star game just the team playing NHL on Playstation or Xbox. 

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

Therefore it's time to retire the event. 

I mean do fans actually care about the All-Star event? 

If anything I would rather have the All-Star game just the team playing NHL on Playstation or Xbox. 

I mean I couldn't blame anyone for pushing to retire the event.  It used to really be a mark of something great if a player had one All Star Game appearance on his resume...again right up to about the early 90s I would say.  So maybe it is still something special for some players...I don't know.  I haven't paid much attention to it in quite some time and even the skills competition, which also used to feel like something important, became a carnival of the ridiculous as well.