[Proposal] Spitballing a whole new second line...

Trade 1

To CHI: Kuzmenko + Mikheyev

To VAN: Kurashev + Raddysh + 2024 2nd (VAN)

Chicago does this to give their top 6 some real talent next season

Kurashev is a 24 year old versatile player putting up 0.66 pts/gm this season and has a bright future.

Raddysh is a big framed 25 year old RW who scored 20 goals last season. Struggling this year but has very good potential.

Trade 2

To ANA: Kurashev + Raddysh

To VAN: Vatrano

Anaheim gets 2 younger players for their rebuild, Vatrano is a dynamic proven playoff performer, scored 22 goals last season, has already scored 20 so far this season. Signed for $3.65m through next season. The kind of cost effective player we need in our top 6 until Lekkerimaki is ready.

Trade 3

To ARI: Raty + 2025 1st round pick (VAN)

To VAN: Crouse

Crouse is the power forward we need in our top 6 for the playoffs and for 3 more seasons at $4.3m.

Trade 4

To MTL: 2024 2nd round pick (VAN)

To VAN: Monahan

Monahan fills a need at 2C for the playoffs. Maybe resigned next season in VAN or perhaps just a rental.

Trade 5

To NSH: Woo + 2024 3rd round pick (VAN)

To VAN: Lauzon

Great top 6 Dman with grit and fight. VAN needs to have 8 Dmen they can trust for the playoffs. Lauzon is signed for cheap next season too, which will be critical.

Lineup til the playoffs:

Lotto Line

Crouse Monahan Vatrano

Joshua Blueger Garland

Hoglander Suter Lafferty

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Myers

Zadorov Cole

Lauzon Juulsen

Demko, DeSmith

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

Trade 1

Kurashev is a 24 year old versatile player putting up 0.66 pts/gm this season and has a bright future.

Raddysh is a big framed 25 year old RW who scored 20 goals last season. Struggling this year but has very good potential.

Trade 2

Anaheim gets 2 younger players for their rebuild, Vatrano is a dynamic proven playoff performer, scored 22 goals last season, has already scored 20 so far this season. Signed for $3.65m through next season. The kind of cost effective player we need in our top 6 until Lekkerimaki is ready.

Trade 3

Crouse is the power forward we need in our top 6 for the playoffs and for 3 more seasons at $4.3m.

Trade 4

Monahan fills a need at 2C for the playoffs. Maybe resigned next season in VAN or perhaps just a rental.

Trade 5

Great top 6 Dman with grit and fight. VAN needs to have 8 Dmen they can trust for the playoffs. Lauzon is signed for cheap next season too, which will be critical.

Lineup til the playoffs:

Lotto Line

Crouse Monahan Vatrano

Joshua Blueger Garland

Hoglander Suter Lafferty

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Myers

Zadorov Cole

Lauzon Juulsen

Demko, DeSmith

Very creative proposal. 😊

That 2nd line would definitely turn some heads if brought together, and would definitely be a second line that could strike fear into an opposing team.

It’s a very solid end result but I can’t see this actually playing out in real life.  On NHL 24 however, I could definitely see your Canucks sipping from Lord Stanley. 😛

As far as that defense goes, Lauzon would be nice but the Canucks already have a lot of terrific depth for their #4-#7 defensemen in the form of Cole, Soucy, Myers, Zadorov, Juulsen, Friedman, Hirose, etc,

The Canucks biggest need on defense is a #3 guy that could help ensure that our top pairing stay elite even if one of Hughes or Hronek went down with injury.  

(for example - Soucy-Hronek as a top pairing would be doable but it probably wouldn’t be elite, whereas Chychrun-Hronek would still be elite even if we lost Hughes for the entire season).

Edited by Jeremy Hronek

22 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Very creative proposal. 😊

That 2nd line would definitely turn some heads if brought together, and would definitely be a second line that could strike fear into an opposing team.

It’s a very solid end result but I can’t see this actually playing out in real life.  On NHL 24 however, I could definitely see your Canucks sipping from Lord Stanley. 😛

As far as that defense goes, Lauzon would be nice but the Canucks already have a lot of terrific depth for their #4-#7 defensemen in the form of Cole, Soucy, Myers, Zadorov, Juulsen, Friedman, Hirose, etc,

The Canucks biggest need on defense is a #3 guy that could help ensure that our top pairing stay elite even if one of Hughes or Hronek went down with injury.  

(for example - Soucy-Hronek as a top pairing would be doable but it probably wouldn’t be elite, whereas Chychrun-Hronek would still be elite even if we lost Hughes for the entire season).

Cheers.

I don't want to see Friedman, Hirose, McWard playing for us in the playoffs. Adding Lauzon gives us a full complement of 8 Dmen who are capable of playing in the top 6 on an NHL team. This will help to cover injuries in the playoffs.

I'd love to add a top 3 guy. The difficulty with adding a top 3 Dman is that it needs to fit our cap now AND be cost effective for next season. We'd need to move out Myers for cap space, plus it's going to cost us Lekkerimaki or Willander + a 1st round pick in a trade. Also it is probably unaffordable next season unless their cap hit is less than $4m. I think Myers is playing well this season, an upgrade is not going to be worth the cost, and he either walks this off season or we resign him for $3m x 2 years to continue playing a similar role.  

Edited by BigTramFan

7 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Cheers.

I don't want to see Friedman, Hirose, McWard playing for us in the playoffs. Adding Lauzon gives us a full complement of 8 Dmen who are capable of playing in the top 6 on an NHL team. This will help to cover injuries in the playoffs.

I'd love to add a top 3 guy. The difficulty with adding a top 3 Dman is that it needs to fit our cap now AND be cost effective for next season. We'd need to move out Myers for cap space, plus it's going to cost us Lekkerimaki or Willander + a 1st round pick in a trade. Also it is probably unaffordable next season unless their cap hit is less than $4m. I think Myers is playing well this season, an upgrade is not going to be worth the cost, and he either walks this off season or we resign him for $3m x 2 years to continue playing a similar role.  

I hear ya.

As well as Myers is playing this season, you wouldn’t be able to play him on a top pairing (to form an elite top pairing) just in case we lost Hughes for the entire season (or extended period of time). 

Could you play Soucy, Cole, Zadorov, or Myers with one of Hughes or Hronek and get away with it?  Absolutely.  Would you be able to “tilt the ice” in the same manner that Hughes/Hronek are currently doing?  No, you would not. 

Hence, for me, I would absolutely be willing to package Myers, 2024 1st, + a top prospect for someone like Chychrun to help insure us just in case we lost someone like Hughes to injury.

The Canucks are insured for the most part up front.  Mikheyev or Kuzmenko could replace Boeser on the top line in case someone from the lotto line got hurt.  Suter could replace someone on the Garland line if someone there got hurt.  Miller and Pettersson could be split up if we wanted to go in that direction.

Hoglander + Raty and Podkolzin can play anywhere on lines 2-4 in case of injury.

DeSmith would fill in admirably for Demko incase of injury while Silovs could fill in admirably as a back-up.

What’s my main point here?  My argument is that the Canucks are insured against injury in every single area for the most part *except* if one of Hughes or Hronek went down with injury.

• Like 1

There's no replacing Hughes. The team will just need to adapt if he is injured in the playoffs.

It will take more than Myers + late 1st + prospect to get Chychrun out of OTT. They will want at least what they paid, which is a 12OA pick + two 2nd round picks.

Edited by BigTramFan
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Trade 1

Trade 2

Trade 3

Trade 4

Trade 5

Let's go backwards.

Trade 5 - lowball.  Woo isn't worth anything at this point.  Nashville likes what they got in Lauzon, and that's exactly why they extended him.  Why do you think the Predators would tank and trade for prospects?  They're in a playoff position.

Trade 4 - lowball.  Monahan is worth a first round pick on a contender team.  Our 2nd round pick is not as valuable as it's been in the past, because we are likely to end up top 5 in the standings.  So that's like a 55th overall pick.  Montreal can definitely get a 25th overall pick from some other team.

Trade 3 - Why would Arizona do it?  Crouse is the leader of the team.  Without him and Keller, the team would be in the basement right now.  They are in no rush to trade him away.  In fact, you can bet he's gonna be named captain next fall.

Trades 1 and 2 - another lowball move, packaged together.  You can't honestly think we can trade away Kuzmenko/Mikheyev and receive a 2nd round pick plus Vatrano in return.  Chicago has so much cap space they can just buy up whoever they want in free agency.  They have no need to trade for a 28-year old and a 29-year old.  They are also clearly a couple years away from being competitive.  They are also in second-last place.  They are ready for the lottery again and Celebrini is just sitting there, waiting for them.  If not, they can try and get Demidov.  It just makes no sense for a basement team like Chicago to make trades where they get older and lose draft picks.

The valuation of these trades are way off on both sides.  You are completely misidentifying the needs of all these other teams.  Half the teams aren't interested in trading their best players.  And if they were to trade them away, they definitely wouldn't do it for the pennies you're offering them.

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

There's no replacing Hughes. The team will just need to adapt if he is injured in the playoffs.

It will take more than Myers + late 1st + prospect to get Chychrun out of OTT. They will want at least what they paid, which is a 12OA pick + two 2nd round picks.

There is no replacing Hughes but having that #3 calibre dman to step up and play with Hronek (Chychrun or not) would help mitigate that to a very large degree.  This would not be the case if Soucy, Zadorov, Myers, or Cole were put in that spot.

@BigTramFan what you need to do is look back at last year's deadline to get a better gauge of things.  Bad teams would trade players on expiring contracts to good teams and got big hauls.  You need all three to make a trade likely.

Domi (expiring) from CHI (shit) to DAL (good) for 2nd round pick

Horvat (expiring) from VAN (shit) to NYI (good) for Beauvillier, Räty and 1st round pick

Bertuzzi (expiring) from DET (shit) to BOS (good) for a 1st and 4th round pick

O'Reilly and Acciari (expiring) from STL (shit) to TOR (good) for a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, plus Gaudette/Abramov 

Orlov and Hathaway (expiring) from WSH (shit) to BOS (good) for a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd

Meier (expiring) from SJS (shit) to NJD (good) for... a lot of things (just look at it).

The list goes on and on.  The Jeannot trade.  The Gavrikov trade.  The Kane/Tarasenko trades.  The Eller trade.  Even Blueger and Schenn got 3rd round picks.  Expiring players on shit teams going to good teams for big hauls.

Now go back to your trades.  Are they expiring players?  Some are, some aren't.  Are they on bad teams?  Some are, some aren't.  Are we a good team?  Yes.  Are the offers close to what was being offered last deadline?  No.  You're actually offering the OLDER player to one of the shit teams and getting PICKS back in return.

Edited by Miss Korea
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

@BigTramFan what you need to do is look back at last year's deadline to get a better gauge of things.  Bad teams would trade players on expiring contracts to good teams and got big hauls.  You need all three to make a trade likely.

Horvat (expiring) from VAN (shit) to NYI (good) for Beauvillier, Räty and 1st round pick

O'Reilly and Acciari (expiring) from STL (shit) to TOR (good) for a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, plus Gaudette/Abramov 

Orlov and Hathaway (expiring) from WSH (shit) to BOS (good) for a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd

Meier (expiring) from SJS (shit) to NJD (good) for... a lot of things (just look at it).

The list goes on and on.  The Jeannot trade.  The Gavrikov trade.  The Kane/Tarasenko trades.  The Eller trade.  Even Blueger and Schenn got 3rd round picks.  Expiring players on shit teams going to good teams for big hauls.

Now go back to your trades.  Are they expiring players?  Some are, some aren't.  Are they on bad teams?  Some are, some aren't.  Are we a good team?  Yes.  Are the offers close to what was being offered last deadline?  No.  You're actually offering the OLDER player to one of the shit teams and getting PICKS back in return.

All the teams proposed, except Nashville, are shit teams right now. And all trades (except trade 1) send younger players or picks to those shit teams in return for older players. The only deal that sends an older player to a shit team is Chicago. They have shown that they are willing to pay for older talent in order to ice a more competitive team. Chicago could buy players in free agency (they have 10 expiring UFAs to replace next season), but the only players they will get if they go that route will be the Foligno and Perry types that are cashing in at the end of their careers and they will have to significantly overpay. If they want to surround Bedard with top 6 talent in their prime it is going to cost them.

You think the trade values are off. Most of the trades I have proposed are values that I have seen listed on Capfriendly by opposing fans (such as the Crouse for a 1st plus a top prospect, or the Lauzon for a 3rd round pick). As a real world example look at the Domi trade from last season. I think this is similar to the proposed Monahan trade. Domi last year was on pace for 49 pts in 60 games. Dallas traded a 2025 2nd round pick plus a $2.2m cap dump in Khudobin in exchange for Domi + a low level prospect. Monahan is nowhere near on the pace that Domi was (only 24 pts in 42 games), my proposed trade does not require taking back any cap dump or providing retention, the pick is in 2024 (not 2 years away) so a 2024 2nd round pick is fair imo. Montreal may be able to get more for Monahan with retention but they only have one retention slot left, so it has value and they may want to use it on another traded player with a bigger cap hit.

Anyway, keep calm and have a good day 😉

I definitely hear the feedback about bottom feeders wanting picks and other futures for their UFAs, and if we're reconstructing the 2nd line or 2nd D pair I'd want something like Chychrun for 1st, 2nd and maybe someone like Zadorov's rights (definitely not trading any blue-chip prospects) so we have that #3 D who can play both sides and in big minutes.  Regarding getting wingers I would honestly only target Tarasenko and see if we could trade Mikheyev or Myers for decent early picks to flip straight across for him.  No need to trade Kuzmenko if we're selling low IMO, we learned not to do that with Boeser after he recovered his career.  Then if there's a Lundell type who can step up in the lineup as 2nd C but can also be buried as 3rd C when everyone's healthy then we can send a pick to them too.  If this is the team's window I do hope we mortgage some futures but also flip some existing contracts for picks to get those futures to flip in turn.

To San Jose

-Kuzmenko (5.5)

-Mikheyev (4.75)

-Myers (6)

=16.25

To Vancouver

-Couture (8)

-Duclair (3)

-Granlund (5)

=16

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser

Duclair-Couture-Granlund

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland

Hoglander-Suter-Lafferty

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Zadorov

Cole-Juulsen

Friedman

Demko

DeSmith

Personally speaking, I’m not sure if I make the above deal since it might leave us too thin on defense.

Maybe just do Kuzmenko + Mikheyev for Couture + Duclair

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser

Duclair-Couture-Suter 

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland

Hoglander-Aman-Lafferty

PDG

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Cole-Zadorov

Juulsen

Demko

DeSmith

[maybe Podkolzin gets called up and plays with Couture and Duclair while Suter replaces Aman on the 4th line]

On 1/14/2024 at 7:31 AM, Miss Korea said:

@Miss Korea you've become (or am starting to pay better attention),  one of the most rational posters on this site.     This is a great response, using past trades as references.    Sure sometimes there are some nutty, lopsided trades so anything is possible.    You're nailed it on the head.

Only thing to add, is what do you think?  Should we be buyers this season?    Or just let the cards (we seem to have a great hand at the moment, and a smart player in our management and Tochett) fall where they may.

Personally, don't want to see a trade that messes with things too much at this point.   We are making the playoffs, even if we (knock on wood, which did just now) have a string of bad injury luck.   So don't need to do a Tyler Toffoli type thing (replacing an injured player, pushing for the playoffs).   We don't need another D either.   Know some folks are worried about QHs.   Hronek can step in, that's part of the reason we traded for him.    

What we do need, is a 3C who can move up as needed, or a middle six C/W.    If somehow Allvin can make that happen, think we go from contender, to favourites.   Some folks already have us as that anyways.   Point was right "this team has it all, everything a championship team needs " paraphrasing, after we played TB, and they should know.    And Gretzky "this team will go as far as they believe they can".  

Know that Tochett is instilling accountability, and has his "non-negotiables".    Kuzmennko was sitting because he didn't get one of those things anyways.    "meeting pressure with pressure" seems to be his catch phrase.    Could be that.  

It's awfully hard to get many chances in this league.   We've got one right now.    Since our torrid rapid kick ass, see you later and try and catch up start (that's for you McDiver and EDM fans),  i've been hoping for another top 4/5D, a middle six C/W, and a solid tough, guy who can keep others honest type to play with EP.  

Allvin has ticked off one of those boxes in Zadarov.    It helped a lot, now that Soucy is back, i'm not that concerned about the D.   What a difference a year makes!   And some of the toughness quotient, was also addressed. 

Hartman would be a great target but not sure MIN will play ball.   I'd prefer we trade our first this year, and something, for a player with a year left on his deal.     So not quite a rental.   And for a center who can play the wing as well.   

That's the only thing left to do.  Don't need a big name.   It's the Luke Schenn's and the Coleman's of the league, that make the most impact.   Someone is moving down the depth chart if it's a big name.   It also can disrupt chemistry and the locker room. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1