All Star Game Concept II: Team Canada vs World

Back in the mid 90s or so that was one of the first changes they made to the Wales vs. Campbell conferences All Star Game it had been for years.  I think it was North America vs. the World.

At the time I considered it a bad change and gimmicky and it was the beginning of the deterioration of the All Star Game into the joke it is now.  However, it was probably the best version of the various steps in that deterioration so I couldn't really complain if it happened given what has followed.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Team North America vs Team Europe would be fun, if they somehow managed to make all the All-Star rosters balanced in terms of who's from where, without some significant snubbing on either side to make it work well.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

For the All-Star Game, do Team Canada vs Team World.  

So on one side for example, you’d have McDavid, Crosby, Mackinnon, Makar, Marchand, etc,  

On the other team, you’d have Matthews, Quinn and Jack Hughes, Draisaitl, Panarin, Barkov, etc

This is 2024 not 1974

12 of the initial 32 all-stars were Canadian.  3 out of the 12 voted all-stars were Canadian.  So that's 15 guys on team Canada and 29 guys on team world.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I always preferred east vs west, but without the whole every team needs a representative thing. Send the best, if some teams aren't sending players it is what it is. 

Felt like the players had a little more pride in it when it was Campbell and Wales.  Could be imagining it but I don't think so.

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

This is 2024 not 1974

12 of the initial 32 all-stars were Canadian.  3 out of the 12 voted all-stars were Canadian.  So that's 15 guys on team Canada and 29 guys on team world.

Fair enough.

Do Team North America against Team World again then 

57 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Felt like the players had a little more pride in it when it was Campbell and Wales.  Could be imagining it but I don't think so.

I just feel it means more to be selected as an all-star when it's not a token selection process

I hate that the league tries to include every team, send the cream of the crop as best you can and let it be what it will be

If that means hard decisions are made and some top players don't make the cut, or that some franchises aren't represented so be it

All-stat game as is has turned into a joke 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I just feel it means more to be selected as an all-star when it's not a token selection process

I hate that the league tries to include every team, send the cream of the crop as best you can and let it be what it will be

If that means hard decisions are made and some top players don't make the cut, or that some franchises aren't represented so be it

All-stat game as is has turned into a joke 

I disagree. Which of JT, Brock, Demmers, Hugs and Petey are not in the top 10 in their positions?

So maybe the vote thing works.

Otherwise toronto would be screaming that 5 canucks are in, but only for Leafs even though they spend 60 percent of cap on thier 4.

By the way, if anyone actually cares,

NHL selected 2 Leafs, 2 coilers, and 2 avs into the Skills comp, which has a $1,000,000 prize. Only one canuck, Petey.

There is 2 open slots to vote in players who are at the All star.... and Toronto Fans are voting on twitter like crazy. So if you know how to post on X or twitter,

Please do it, vote for all four: (wouldt it be amazing if Tocc could do the skills comp... worth a try)

#NHLAllStarVoteNHL_AllStarVote_2024.png JT Miller #NHLAllStarVoteNHL_AllStarVote_2024.png Brock Boeser  #NHLAllStarVoteNHL_AllStarVote_2024.pngQuinn Hughes  #NHLAllStarVoteNHL_AllStarVote_2024.pngRick Tocchet

52 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Fair enough.

Do Team North America against Team World again then 

LOL I just crunched the numbers and you still the same outcome but in reverse:

29 guys on North America and 15 guys on World

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Dom said:

I beg to differ that we lose to the USA. 

We barely beat them in 2010.  One loss, one win.  14 years later and their team is full of superstars now.  It won't be an easy matchup.

Just look at us.  We just sent 4 Americans to the all-star game.  Do you hear the bald eagles?

8 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

We barely beat them in 2010.  One loss, one win.  14 years later and their team is full of superstars now.  It won't be an easy matchup.

Just look at us.  We just sent 4 Americans to the all-star game.  Do you hear the bald eagles?

We also completely dominated them in 2014.  The U.S. were shut-out if I recall correctly and most of their shots were perimeter shots.  

Three of the best four players in today's game are still Canadian (McDavid, Makar, MacKinnon).  Marner, Stone, Crosby, and Marchand are all still up there.  And then there's that Conor Bedard kid.  

Only thing that team Canada is really missing is a superstar goalie (MAF is long in the tooth, while Carter Hart is 'whatever').  

17 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

We also completely dominated them in 2014.  The U.S. were shut-out if I recall correctly and most of their shots were perimeter shots.  

Three of the best four players in today's game are still Canadian (McDavid, Makar, MacKinnon).  Marner, Stone, Crosby, and Marchand are all still up there.  And then there's that Conor Bedard kid.  

Only thing that team Canada is really missing is a superstar goalie (MAF is long in the tooth, while Carter Hart is 'whatever').  

Yeah, those are all the best Canadians we have.  And the US has Matthews, Hughes, Hughes, Tkachuk, Tkachuk, and Fox.

Look at it this way.  When the Canucks play teams like Colorado or Edmonton, do you not think our American boys can beat them?  I think Miller can stop McDavid.  I think Hughes can stop Makar.  I think Demko can stop... MacKinnon.  And I Boeser can outscore Bedard.  If our American boys can help us win, they can also help the US win.

38 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Disagree. Adin Hill says hi. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Yeah, those are all the best Canadians we have.  And the US has Matthews, Hughes, Hughes, Tkachuk, Tkachuk, and Fox.

Look at it this way.  When the Canucks play teams like Colorado or Edmonton, do you not think our American boys can beat them?  I think Miller can stop McDavid.  I think Hughes can stop Makar.  I think Demko can stop... MacKinnon.  And I Boeser can outscore Bedard.  If our American boys can help us win, they can also help the US win.

MacKinnon > Miller

McDavid >> Boeser

Makar = Hughes

Hill >/= Demko

Point Stamkos Crosby Bedard Hyman Reinhart Horvat Barzal Thomas Stone Bouchard Dobson Morrissey Dunn Toews