Jonathan Toews as a Vancouver Canuck for the playoff drive

So let me get this straight:

The Canucks need a two-way defensive minded 2nd line center that can help on the PK, potentially help a 2nd line chip in some offense, and bring some championship pedigree to the lockerroom……….all for a very cheap cost?

Who better than Jonathan Toews?

Would it still be possible to sign him?  Get him training and then officially sign him at the trade deadline for league minimum to $1M.  

I know Toews has said that he wants to take this year off to focus on his health, but if he ever had one last shot of helping a team go on a cup run, this could be his chance right here.

14 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Who better than Jonathan Toews?

You want a list? Seriously, if he were healthy enough he'd be playing in Chicago. He is done whether he cares to admit it or not. Besides I doubt whether Vancouver or Toews is even remotely interested in each other.

I think if all of the factors were there, price, health, attitude, I don't see why we wouldn't kick the tires.  He is a winner.  I don't believe he'd still be playing in Chicago.  I don't think he liked how his last few years were wasted on a rebuild.  

He was still scoring at a decent rate even on a terrible team.  He was still the best in the league on face-offs.  He could give Miller a break on the face-offs.  

If he is really healthy and really keen and costs us nothing but some money?  I would be open minded to it.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

You want a list? Seriously, if he were healthy enough he'd be playing in Chicago. He is done whether he cares to admit it or not. Besides I doubt whether Vancouver or Toews is even remotely interested in each other.

Sorry I should clarify.  I meant, "who better" in terms of cap accommodation, attainable acquisition (signing), and filling a need.  Obviously, guys like Lindholm and Eriksson EK would be way better but we'd have to give up significant assets.  With Toews, maybe you could turn it into a mini-Mats Sundin situation, essentially signing him for the 2nd half / playoffs.

Toews, Canadian, had his biggest non-Stanley Cup moment in Vancouver with the 2010 Olympics.  There is a loose connection to the city of Vancouver here for Toews.  Yes, the Canucks and Hawks were fierce rivals from 2009-2011 but there was also a mutual respect there.   

I have no idea what the league rules are, and if signing Toews would even be an option, but if it is, I'd definitely have a talk with the guy if I'm Jim Rutherford/Patrik Alvin.

You know who would want Jonathan Toews right now?  His hometown of Winnipeg.  I think Flin Flon has a lake named after him.  And I believe he just lives there with his family now.

But yeah.  The Jets' centre depth is stretched thin at the moment.  They've called up a bunch of Moose players to fill their bottom six.  Imagine the versatility that  a healthy Toews could bring for them, or any team for that matter.  Cheveldayoff also has (infamously) worked with Toews in the beginning of his managerial career.

image.png.e6a4835e7f042d8d8e4d18076e27b465.png

• Cheers 2

I liked Toews back in the day, but it's hard to accept the captain of the team where Beach was abused and he stayed silent. People can change, I'll grant him that, but he's also not very good anymore.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I liked Toews back in the day, but it's hard to accept the captain of the team where Beach was abused and he stayed silent. People can change, I'll grant him that, but he's also not very good anymore.

I won't get into the Beach stuff as I believe it's still very unclear as to how much the players actually knew the full details.  I'm more upset with Quennville, Bowman, and the owners on that one, but again, I don' want to get into this. 

Toews isn't what he once was but I think he can still 'bring it' defensively and with face-offs.  If you keep him well rested and save him more for defensive deployments and the PK, I think he could really help.  Having won 3 cups, I think his experience and insight could be a valuable addition for guys like Pettersson, Hughes, Demko, Boeser, and Miller.  Toews has lost a step but I think his defensive game and intangibles (and potentially low signing costs without having to give up any assets).   

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser

Mikheyev-Toews-Kuzmenko

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland

Hoglander-Suter-Lafferty

PDG

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Cole-Zadorov

Juulsen

Demko

DeSmith

2 hours ago, Pears said:

Washed Captain Coverup? The hardest of hard passes. 

Even if he was a free asset that would sign with us for $1 million?  

With restricted ice-time to keep him fresh, I think he could still be similar to the 'Toews of old' in defensive situations, PK, and in face-offs.  

That plethora of successful playoff experience would come in handy.  

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Even if he was a free asset that would sign with us for $1 million?  

With restricted ice-time to keep him fresh, I think he could still be similar to the 'Toews of old' in defensive situations, PK, and in face-offs.  

That plethora of successful playoff experience would come in handy.  

At the expense of our morals and everything that goes against the culture that's been put in place over the last year? I want to win as much as the next fan but under no circumstances do we or should we bring this dickhead in. 

Edited by Pears

16 minutes ago, Pears said:

At the expense of our morals and everything that goes against the culture that's been put in place over the last year? I want to win as much as the next fan but under no circumstances do we or should we bring this dickhead in. 

As much as I disliked Toews and Kane during the rivalry, I don’t think they knew what was happening to Kyle Beach at that time.  Jenner and Block (law firm that conducted the internal investigation) concluded that senior officials, the GM, and the head coach of Chicago all knew about the incident but did not mention anything about the players. 

Toews and Kane themselves were interviewed and expressed sadness and horror over the incident (and perhaps I’m wrong, but I believe they were being genuine).

Just now, Jeremy Hronek said:

As much as I disliked Toews and Kane during the rivalry, I don’t think they knew what was happening to Kyle Beach at that time.  Jenner and Block (law firm that conducted the internal investigation) concluded that senior officials, the GM, and the head coach of Chicago all knew about the incident but did not mention anything about the players. 

Toews and Kane themselves were interviewed and expressed sadness and horror over the incident (and perhaps I’m wrong, but I believe they were being genuine).

You really don't think the captain of that team was aware of what was going on when it's been widely reported everyone in that locker room knew? Please. 

1 minute ago, Toni Zamboni said:

if it aint broke, dont try to fix it imo.  

Screen Shot 2024-01-14 at 5.02.06 PM.png

This is also one thing that I’m willing to accept. Despite the inefficiencies of our 2nd line, we are still getting consistent secondary scoring.  The Lotto line, along with our bottom 6, and teeing off on opponents with no end in sight.  😎 

1 minute ago, Pears said:

You really don't think the captain of that team was aware of what was going on when it's been widely reported everyone in that locker room knew? Please. 

If there is evidence of this then I’m certainly open to hearing about it. I’m only going by the Jenner and Block findings that did a thorough investigation of the situation. Their report doesn’t mention anything about the players.  

40 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Rather try for Lindholm, but what would Calgary want in return?

We can get Cody Hodgson for free. Send him to Abby and see how he does.

Lindholm will cost a pretty coin.  

I wish Hodgson the best but I don’t think things are going to work out for him.  Even if he was able to overcome that health defect, skating was never his strong suit and he’s much older now…..and the game is much faster.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I won't get into the Beach stuff as I believe it's still very unclear as to how much the players actually knew the full details.  I'm more upset with Quennville, Bowman, and the owners on that one, but again, I don' want to get into this. 

Toews isn't what he once was but I think he can still 'bring it' defensively and with face-offs.  If you keep him well rested and save him more for defensive deployments and the PK, I think he could really help.  Having won 3 cups, I think his experience and insight could be a valuable addition for guys like Pettersson, Hughes, Demko, Boeser, and Miller.  Toews has lost a step but I think his defensive game and intangibles (and potentially low signing costs without having to give up any assets).   

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser

Mikheyev-Toews-Kuzmenko

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland

Hoglander-Suter-Lafferty

PDG

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Cole-Zadorov

Juulsen

Demko

DeSmith

I would have serious concerns with him as a 2C. I see him as a 3/4C at best. He's very likely got less offensive skill than Suter and Blueger. He'd just be another copy of the same as them, but worse. The way he performed last year, he was probably a decent 2C, but he's even older now and likely at least somewhat out of shape.

• Cheers 1